E90Post
 


N54Tuning.com
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Best TV for a grand



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-07-2012, 05:41 AM   #1
paulf
First Lieutenant
paulf's Avatar
5
Rep
356
Posts

 
Drives: 330d M Sport 2014
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Telford

iTrader: (0)

Best TV for a grand

Guys

I'm looking at replacing my current TV with a 3D ready one. I have a 1000 to spend.

I've always bought Sony in the past, but the Samsung units look impressive. It needs to be a minimum of 40inch, but prefer 46.

Does anyone have any advice, suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks in advance
Paulf
__________________
2014 F30 330d M Sport
Previous - 2011 E90 320d Efficient Dynamics
http://bit.ly/1mfoQV6
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 05:52 AM   #2
creepy coupe
Major General
creepy coupe's Avatar
99
Rep
8,173
Posts

 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Loewe if you don't mind running a couple of IR sensors

There has been a lot of recalls on Sony TV's recently

Last edited by creepy coupe; 02-07-2012 at 06:45 AM.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 06:42 AM   #3
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
BanziBarn's Avatar
34
Rep
1,789
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Samsung seem to be making better TVs than Sony at the moment. I have 3 and have been happy with all of them.

Their Smart TVs offer some good extra functionality such as Iplayer and Music on demand...

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/9578...led-smart.html
__________________
Black 330d E90 LCI M Sport Saloon Auto. Privacy Glass, Cream Leather, 6FL, I-Drive/Nav/Bluetooth, Alpine hifi upgrade.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
davyk31
Brigadier General
63
Rep
4,480
Posts

 
Drives: Audi SQ5 & Golf GTD
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northern Ireland

iTrader: (0)

I bought a Samsung UE40d6530 recently, excellent set with all the functions. Smart TV, 3D, Web browser etc. Bought it in Jan sales for 650. The 46" version is probably a bit below your budget.

There are higher Samsung models but they don't add much in terms of features, mainly just how the set looks but mine looks fine to me with a very thin bezzel.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #5
doc_ab
Major
12
Rep
1,182
Posts

 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: May 2010
Location: buckinghamshire

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 330D  [0.00]
Another vote for Samsung as I also have one that is excellent.
The Panasonics are also very good but more expensive.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 09:04 AM   #6
paulf
First Lieutenant
paulf's Avatar
5
Rep
356
Posts

 
Drives: 330d M Sport 2014
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Telford

iTrader: (0)

Thanks guys - I notice you can get built in wifi (rather than dongles) too.... and then there are the extra glasses

I may need to look out for bundled deals....
__________________
2014 F30 330d M Sport
Previous - 2011 E90 320d Efficient Dynamics
http://bit.ly/1mfoQV6
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
jonl1983
Lieutenant
Wales
6
Rep
483
Posts

 
Drives: F12 640d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: South Wales

iTrader: (2)

Samsung D7000 or D8000. Best by far
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #8
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
27
Rep
1,606
Posts

 
Drives: X70 on the way
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (0)

This will sound a bit strange coming from someone who bought 2 3D tv's back in the day for combined price of nearly 2.5k. In my defence Sony were doing a great deal (VAT refund personally!, free PS3 and games with each, glasses etc) so it worked out not too bad in the end, especially as i put it through my company.

But if you're spending your hard earned after tax, save your money. Buy 500 TV from JL and replace it in 3 years time with something else (if needed) and you'll still be quids in. Especially if you chuck the other 500 into some of the stocks that the clever guys on here have picked.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #9
Kevco
Private
Kevco's Avatar
Canada
1
Rep
82
Posts

 
Drives: Black Bimmer
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I'd recommend Panasonic Plasma 3D. The GT series would be the best bang for your buck.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #10
creepy coupe
Major General
creepy coupe's Avatar
99
Rep
8,173
Posts

 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterS3 View Post
This will sound a bit strange coming from someone who bought 2 3D tv's back in the day for combined price of nearly 2.5k. In my defence Sony were doing a great deal (VAT refund personally!, free PS3 and games with each, glasses etc) so it worked out not too bad in the end, especially as i put it through my company.

But if you're spending your hard earned after tax, save your money. Buy 500 TV from JL and replace it in 3 years time with something else (if needed) and you'll still be quids in. Especially if you chuck the other 500 into some of the stocks that the clever guys on here have picked.
You could give that advice about buying anything. Cars for example. Why go through life buying inferior products to save money?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #11
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
27
Rep
1,606
Posts

 
Drives: X70 on the way
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
You could give that advice about buying anything. Cars for example. Why go through life buying inferior products to save money?
Because of the laws of diminishing returns. eg GTR v Veyron. Veyron is clearly better in every aspect. But for 75k the GTR does 95% of what you need it to. And on the road would be just as good. Clearly inferior product. But not necessarily in practise.

I'd say the same for PC's. Don't spend more than 400. In fact i buy the cheapest 200 of ebuyer. Got 20 or so of them in my businesses and they work fine. Just need an OS install every couple of years. But there are no mechanical parts to wear out. So they should be good until the motherboard goes.

I personally doubt many (if any) people can actually tell the difference between a 1000 tv and 500 tv in their home.

Spend the 500 on a onkyo amp and some surround speakers to go with the TV and the picture will look better. Weird but true. That's the way the mind works. Ask Heston.

Not saying the OP shouldn't spend his money on what he wants. Just giving my opinion on the obsolescence of consumer electronics.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #12
davyk31
Brigadier General
63
Rep
4,480
Posts

 
Drives: Audi SQ5 & Golf GTD
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northern Ireland

iTrader: (0)

The Samsung 6530 and above have built in Wifi so no need for the dongle. Also these models have a web browser which the lower range do not, I only really discovered this by chance as kinda assumed they could all access the Net but not true.

How often you use the toys is questionable but good to have them there.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #13
fulcrum
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
5
Rep
437
Posts

 
Drives: E92 330 M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterS3 View Post
Because of the laws of diminishing returns. eg GTR v Veyron. Veyron is clearly better in every aspect. But for 75k the GTR does 95% of what you need it to. And on the road would be just as good. Clearly inferior product. But not necessarily in practise.

I'd say the same for PC's. Don't spend more than 400. In fact i buy the cheapest 200 of ebuyer. Got 20 or so of them in my businesses and they work fine. Just need an OS install every couple of years. But there are no mechanical parts to wear out. So they should be good until the motherboard goes.

I personally doubt many (if any) people can actually tell the difference between a 1000 tv and 500 tv in their home.

Spend the 500 on a onkyo amp and some surround speakers to go with the TV and the picture will look better. Weird but true. That's the way the mind works. Ask Heston.

Not saying the OP shouldn't spend his money on what he wants. Just giving my opinion on the obsolescence of consumer electronics.
So while contributing to the near 800 a year which public sector fraud (including VAT evasion) costs everyone of us you ruin your staff's eye sight!

A 200 PC will be fine for word processing and email but will include a hard drive with moving mechanical parts and fans ditto - but it will not be the most ergonomic will it?

I do agree with you that money spent on a decent separate sound system would be a better investment than a 3D TV. However, you should be looking to spend at a ratio of 1:3 amp: speakers. At least decent speakers hold their value.

Not really picking on you - just saying.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #14
creepy coupe
Major General
creepy coupe's Avatar
99
Rep
8,173
Posts

 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterS3 View Post
I personally doubt many (if any) people can actually tell the difference between a 1000 tv and 500 tv in their home.
TV's are a tricky one. I paid 1200 for my Sony eighteen months ago, and it simply knocked the opposition into a hat as a package. It shared the panel with a similar Samsung at 800 but the sound from the Samsung was truly awful. But 500 sets didn't come close in the shop, let alone at home.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #15
doc_ab
Major
12
Rep
1,182
Posts

 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: May 2010
Location: buckinghamshire

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 330D  [0.00]
There are significant differences in picture quality and features as well as sound (if you are not going to use an amp and external speakers) between sets. As mentioned above as well as the panel quality will also be affected by sofware. Like all things this is not purely price dependent but price is an indicator of quality to a degree. There are many good sets and it is an individual choice. Go to a showroom and watch sets which have been properly set up and are playing the same source to decide which you like. You can also search internet reviews eg amazon, what hi fi and home cinema, which magazine etc. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #16
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
27
Rep
1,606
Posts

 
Drives: X70 on the way
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulcrum View Post
So while contributing to the near 800 a year which public sector fraud (including VAT evasion) costs everyone of us you ruin your staff's eye sight!

A 200 PC will be fine for word processing and email but will include a hard drive with moving mechanical parts and fans ditto - but it will not be the most ergonomic will it?

I do agree with you that money spent on a decent separate sound system would be a better investment than a 3D TV. However, you should be looking to spend at a ratio of 1:3 amp: speakers. At least decent speakers hold their value.

Not really picking on you - just saying.
Business isn't VAT registered.
Staff don't watch the TV's (and if they are, they aren't doing their jobs)

I'm sitting using a 200 Zoomstorm PC now. I do heavy database, and processing work on it (eg music studio with soft synths). I've added a 20 graphics card to run dual monitor set in HD res. As for ergonomics it's a black box that is pretty much the same shape as most full form PC's. If you want to buy a small form factor PC there are options under 400.

I guess buying a nice looking TV is important to some people - so yeh ergonomics at a price point is important.

I'll agree on speakers.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #17
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
27
Rep
1,606
Posts

 
Drives: X70 on the way
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
TV's are a tricky one. I paid 1200 for my Sony eighteen months ago, and it simply knocked the opposition into a hat as a package. It shared the panel with a similar Samsung at 800 but the sound from the Samsung was truly awful. But 500 sets didn't come close in the shop, let alone at home.
I know what you're saying I have a 903 and 803 Sony and picture was miles better than my old Tosh's. But was it 500 better than the Samsung i looked at. Nope. But the stuff thrown in free and the discount my mate and i negotiated from Sony centre meant they came in at the same price. Otherwise i wouldn't have bought it. I'd have gone for the Samsung.

What i meant was in 3 years time. A 500 tv will be miles better than 1000 TV now. So for a little sacrifice now (and if you're on Sky the signal quality is degraded anyway to make HD channels look better) you'll end up with more in the long run.

But i'll not pollute this thread any further.

Whatever you get enjoy
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #18
davyk31
Brigadier General
63
Rep
4,480
Posts

 
Drives: Audi SQ5 & Golf GTD
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northern Ireland

iTrader: (0)

On my Samsung the picture on say standard BBC1 is good that I rarely actually watch it on BBC HD because the difference isn't massive.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #19
makkan00
Major General
makkan00's Avatar
United Kingdom
132
Rep
7,686
Posts

 
Drives: F10
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

iTrader: (48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
You could give that advice about buying anything. Cars for example. Why go through life buying inferior products to save money?
+100

example:
Sony= Beamer
Panasonic = Merc
Samsung = Ford

You decide whether you are after a brand or just a box which can display frames

IMO Sony and Panasonic are best to stick with.

No disrespect to anybody here who own and use Samsung Tele.
My friend has one, and honestly I dont like the EPG font and display. It gives your Tele cheaper look, same as Hyundai interior display.

Stick to Sony and you will never regreat.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #20
///ajd
Colonel
///ajd's Avatar
France
43
Rep
2,303
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 330d Touring
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ...

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterS3 View Post
Business isn't VAT registered.
Staff don't watch the TV's (and if they are, they aren't doing their jobs)

I'm sitting using a 200 Zoomstorm PC now. I do heavy database, and processing work on it (eg music studio with soft synths). I've added a 20 graphics card to run dual monitor set in HD res. As for ergonomics it's a black box that is pretty much the same shape as most full form PC's. If you want to buy a small form factor PC there are options under 400.

I guess buying a nice looking TV is important to some people - so yeh ergonomics at a price point is important.

I'll agree on speakers.
When you say you bought it through the company does this mean you bought it vat free as a result, or claimed the vat back through your accounts 'as it was for use in conjunction with your business'?
__________________
E91 330d Touring M Sport Auto 2006
225M 19" MV4 + Falken 453
M3 270M 18" rims + Vred Wintrac Extremes
100,000 miles
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #21
jonl1983
Lieutenant
Wales
6
Rep
483
Posts

 
Drives: F12 640d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: South Wales

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
You could give that advice about buying anything. Cars for example. Why go through life buying inferior products to save money?
+100

example:
Sony= Beamer
Panasonic = Merc
Samsung = Ford

You decide whether you are after a brand or just a box which can display frames

IMO Sony and Panasonic are best to stick with.

No disrespect to anybody here who own and use Samsung Tele.
My friend has one, and honestly I dont like the EPG font and display. It gives your Tele cheaper look, same as Hyundai interior display.

Stick to Sony and you will never regreat.
Sony use samsung panels mate?!

In terms of styling and features samsung smart tv's blow Sony equivalents out of the water.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #22
doc_ab
Major
12
Rep
1,182
Posts

 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: May 2010
Location: buckinghamshire

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 330D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
+100

example:
Sony= Beamer
Panasonic = Merc
Samsung = Ford

You decide whether you are after a brand or just a box which can display frames

IMO Sony and Panasonic are best to stick with.

No disrespect to anybody here who own and use Samsung Tele.
My friend has one, and honestly I dont like the EPG font and display. It gives your Tele cheaper look, same as Hyundai interior display.

Stick to Sony and you will never regreat.
Sorry mate that is complete rubbish. I could have bought any tv I wanted. I wanted a plasma and chose a 63" Samsung because it gave a great picture, great design and had all the features that I wanted. As for epg font, I have sky HD so the EPG is the same as any other set. Yes Sony made the best CRT but best plasma or LCD that is highly debatable and no one manufacturer dominates. The best plasma was made by Pioneer but they couldnt make it pay. If you want more controversy nip over to avforums.com and check out the tv forum you will end up very confused.

Remember Mercedes made the A class and Ford the GT40
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST