E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Best TV for a grand

02-08-2012, 03:28 PM   #45
ZURICH
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Drives: E91 320d Touring M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
+100

example:
Sony= Beamer
Panasonic = Merc
Samsung = Ford

You decide whether you are after a brand or just a box which can display frames

IMO Sony and Panasonic are best to stick with.

No disrespect to anybody here who own and use Samsung Tele.
My friend has one, and honestly I dont like the EPG font and display. It gives your Tele cheaper look, same as Hyundai interior display.

Stick to Sony and you will never regreat.
Sony= Beamer yes a 118 super eco version series
Panasonic = Merc that will be an old 180D
Samsung = Ford : well that will be a GT 40

Samsung TV's are as good if not better than Sony, and the remote is actually user friendly.

M Sport Package, (PDC), front / rear, Cruise control
Mystic Blue Metallic, Beige Dakota leather, Alarm,
Automatic transmission, Panoramic glass roof, Heated Seats, Lumbar etc etc
"I don't Fuck around but when I do, I dont fuck around"
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #46
e92_alex
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktyler View Post

The difference between SD and HD on any given TV should be night and day regardless of the TV quality. The better quality of the SD picture due to a better quality TV should also apply the same to the HD picture. There is also alot of quality difference in the dynamic range and contrast ratio. Black is very often grey on cheaper TV's (technika) and this will ruin the depth of a 3D blu-ray movie.

The comparison should be made SD vs SD and HD vs HD on different TV's. In all seriousness if you cant tell the difference there is something wrong with the set up (TV too big, Sitting too close, dodgey cables etc...) or a trip to the opticians is in order.

Just a fact for you SD has 442,368 (0.4mp) pixels and HD has 2,073,600 (2.073mp) pixels and is much more vibrant. Seeing as the human eye is said to see in the equivalent of 500+mp (although cant really be measured like that as it is not a camera) it is obvious to me that you should be able to clearly see the difference

Back to the point... This is the best TV for 1000 by far IMO:

Awsome TV Here
+1 I've got the 46D7000 great tele.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #47
gIzzE
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: Mercedes ML, F25 X3 and 2.8i Z

They all have issues at the moment.

I would wait 12 months and get an OLED screen, it is going to make plasma look dated and LCD/LED look positively shite!!

I have bought a Sony HX923 and the Panasonic VT30 this year, both regarded as the best you can buy currently and neither as good as my 5 year old Panasonic PHD8 commercial panel or my Pioneer KRP-500M Kuro.

Also tried the D8000 Samsung, loved the design buy the backlight unevenness was terrible, made panny shots on football etc. a real mare. So it went back after 4 days.

The 3D on the Sony is rubbish, the 3D on the Panny plasma is great, but I have not watched anything all the way through, 3D is just not for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 02:04 AM   #48
jonl1983
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep

Drives: F12 640d M Sport

No issues with my D8000, massive improvement over my old Sony LCD.

Oled sets will cost a bomb and take a few years to get down to a reasonable price (£1500)
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 07:15 AM   #49
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonl1983 View Post
Best by far for 1k. Ive got a 46D8000, looking at tests though they rate the 7000 a better tv for 3D capabilities.
If you got that for less than 1k then please share the link. I have my credit card ready
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #50
jonl1983
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktyler
Quote:
Best by far for £1k. Ive got a 46D8000, looking at tests though they rate the 7000 a better tv for 3D capabilities.
If you got that for less than £1k then please share the link. I have my credit card ready
I wish! For £1k you can get the 40 not the 46!

I have seen the 46 for £1300 which is still a good price
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #51
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I wish! For £1k you can get the 40 not the 46!

I have seen the 46 for £1300 which is still a good price
Thats what I thought but your post implied you got it for 1k and I was just hoping you had a secret you might share. Worth a try
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #52
davyk31
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Audi SQ5 & Golf GTD

THe 46d6530 is available for just under a grand if your budget is set to that and you want 46". If 40" is ok then you could go up the range a bit for your budget.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #53
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
It's not all about size though. Bigger is not allways better with TV's. It is about how you use it

It depends on the size of your room, the position of the viewers, the lighting, where the windows are etc... I would reccomend sacrificing size for quality and "moving up the range" as you will find that the picture looks alot sharper and in reality it is. All the sizes will have the same amount of pixels so the bigger you go the worse it will look from the same viewing distance. Like zooming in on a picture on a computer. Unless you move back which defeats the point.

Unless of course you have a giant living room and then the opposite applies and you need the size just to see it from the sofa. The optimal viewing distance for 1080p is actually not very far 40" is about 4-5 feet which is silly really and probably a bit anti-social if you have family.

Anyway you will not be watching in Full HD all the time, infact probably less than half of the time. Generally for best average results you should be 2.5 times the size of the TV away so for 40" 2.5m and 46" 3m. That is a significant distance for the 40" and difference between the two.

If a 40" is big enough and when in situ you are satisfied by its size then that is what you should go for. The only thing is you will not get the bragging rites of I have a 46"er down the pub.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 03:08 PM   #54
davyk31
Brigadier General
Rep

Agree totally about size, I was deciding between 40" and 46" but felt the 46" was just a bit big for my space. In the end I went for a 40" but jumped further up the range. Also once I had decided on the model the difference between 40 and 46 was 350 as the 40 was on sale at a great price. That decided it for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #55
gIzzE
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: Mercedes ML, F25 X3 and 2.8i Z

Quote:
No issues with my D8000, massive improvement over my old Sony LCD.

Oled sets will cost a bomb and take a few years to get down to a reasonable price (£1500)

Well you have the good one then.

Sorry, that was a bit unfair, but every single one of them has some pretty poor backlight clouding.
Some people don't notice it, some do.

The Sony HX923 I do think is the best LCD made so far, with its local dimming, truly stunning processing, lovely design it is bang on.
However, again the clouding on some sets just makes it a gamble.
I went back to plasma.

The other thing with LCD is viewing angle, as soon as you move off centre it all falls apart.

The Sony is available from Hyperfi for 1100.

I bought mine from there, good guys.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-KDL46...ht_1510wt_1292
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #56
Frobius
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E91 330d M-Sport

Garage List
I've always been a massive fan of Panasonic plasmas. I did a lot of research when I bought my TV, admittedly 5 odd years ago, but I went for a panel that had the best picture quality, rather than worrying about how the menus look or how intuitive the remote is. I know a lot of people will care about those things, but in my mind, nothing was more important than image quality. I ended up going for a 42PZ70B.

Back then it was a bit of a trade off between LCD for a good response rate and no ghosting and plasma where you might get a bit of screen burn but the PQ was second to none. I must admit, I haven't really done much research into recent tech since then, but I'd still put my money into a Panasonic before anything else. I've seen a few Samsungs and yeah they're ok, but I never really felt that they were as good as offerings from Panny! I suppose brand loyalty plays a big part!

I've got a mate who's got two different 3D TVs, a Panasonic and another one, LG or Samsung I think, can't remember. I don't like it. I just dont think the technology has come on far enough yet. Wearing enormous glasses and getting eyestrain / headache after an hour is not my idea of fun. Plus, I don't know if it's me or not, but has current 3D tech got the ability to show infinite planes of depth? I'm not sure it does. It's like you see a person on a 3D TV and he's 3 feet away from a table.. You can tell this. But what you can't tell is that the person's nose is closer than their ears, or that the nearside of the table is closer than the far. The table is on one plane and the person on another. There doesn't seem to be a smooth depth to 3D.

57 Sapphire Black E91 330d M-Sport
Privacy Glass // Leather // Heated Seats // Bluetooth // Blacklines // BMWP Gloss Black Grille // Alpine HiFi // LCI Headlights
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 02:12 AM   #57
jonl1983
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
Well you have the good one then.

Sorry, that was a bit unfair, but every single one of them has some pretty poor backlight clouding.
Some people don't notice it, some do.

The Sony HX923 I do think is the best LCD made so far, with its local dimming, truly stunning processing, lovely design it is bang on.
However, again the clouding on some sets just makes it a gamble.
I went back to plasma.

The other thing with LCD is viewing angle, as soon as you move off centre it all falls apart.

The Sony is available from Hyperfi for 1100.

I bought mine from there, good guys.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-KDL46...ht_1510wt_1292
To be fair i had read about backlighting issues on these tv's, however, i may not have a trained/sensitive enough eye to notice the issues. The way that my lounge is laid out the tv is directly in front of my sofa and a good 6 metres away, i find the picture superb. I was however coming from one of the very first Sony 40" HD so that may well be why I see such a big improvement
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #58
paulf
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 330d M Sport 2014

Bit of an update - the headline is that the budget went out the window! I decided I wanted bigger and the TV that stood out was the Samsung 55D8000...

I'm sure there may be better TVs out there, but this was a good all-rounder and I'm very pleased. Slim, 3D, Smart apps, etc etc

Thanks again for the contributions!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #59
davyk31
Brigadier General
Rep

Update from me too ......... bought a Samsung 6530 set at Christmas, needed a new LCD panel 2 weeks ago and now needs another one. Samsung after a lot of pressure seem to be agreeing to write it off as I told them I would not accept another major repair on an 8 week old set. Samsung customer services have generally been quite poor and very slow to respond. Not sure if I will get a refund or a replacement set as both have been mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 06:15 AM   #60
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep

Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [5.00]
2005 645  [4.50]
2 D7000 - both had uneven backlight and banding - replaced with Panny GT30 - no uneven or banding but does have an issue with green tinge on THX mode. I gave up and stuck with it as sick of taking TV's back to town.

Crosstalk on the D7000 was bad too - Panny much better 3d
      03-09-2012, 06:18 AM   #61
Je90win
Private
Rep

Drives: e90

Not very helpful, but samsung.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 06:21 AM   #62
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep

Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [5.00]
2005 645  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
They all have issues at the moment.

I would wait 12 months and get an OLED screen,
This! I'm sticking with my GT30 till oled becomes affordable.
      03-09-2012, 07:57 AM   #63
davyk31
Brigadier General
Rep

My Samsung needs a second panel in 8 weeks......... I told them no way and they have agreed to replace, refund or give me an allowance towards an upgrade to a bigger set.

What to do ???? I chose the Samsung set as it seemed the best option for my requirements and picture is great apart from these issues. Current issue is just 2 pixels staying on green which is mega hard to notice but a fault all the same.

One thing I do notice is that motion in the centre of screen can be a bit "blurred" for want of a better word. Why is this and is it common?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 08:10 AM   #64
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: Merc SLS AMG & ML63 AMG

I have just (finally!) purchased my Sony 46HX923 and it looks fantastic.

It really is a stunning picture and whilst I don't really know what I'm looking for like real TV aficionado's, I can tell that it has a super-bright picture whilst also having some of the deepest blacks I've seen on any TV....I believe that this is quite an impressive compromise to achieve on LED TV's (i.e. bright pictures don't always give deep blacks)?

I actually got a new boxed one, with all the in-box accessories for 899 from S21Electrical.co.uk ....this appears an absolute bargain for one of these TV's as I'm pretty sure even the smallest 46" was a 1,600+ TV towards the end of 2011! It is effectively Sony's top of the range model from last year which they've not replaced this year (i.e. all of this years Sony TV's appear to have edge LED backlighting rather than this TV's localised LED backlighting).

They haven't directly replaced this TV so thought I'd grab a bargain and buy the 'old' model - I got it from S21electrical.co.uk for 899 (with all the accessories like 3D glasses, Skype camera etc) and actually thought I was buying a recon or ex-display unit but, when it arrived, it was in a brand-new sealed box D I notice they've now increased the price back to 999 so wonder if the cheaper price was a mistake....whatever it was, I'm delighted with the TV and price.

Gizze...if you're about, you intimated before that you had some good calibration settings for this TV. I've had a stab at it myself and am very happy with the picture but, with so many settings it'd be rude not to try yours and benefit from your expertise in this area! Can you therefore pop them up please? (I've posted here rather than PM'd you incase others find this useful).
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 08:22 AM   #65
WilliamS
GoofBall
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 E92 N54 Xdrive

Love My LG passive 55" I know they allegedly are not as clear as the active glasses setups. I cant tell I do have both. I have a Sony 47 Active, and the 55 Passive LG. The LG uses the same glasses that the theater uses, never sync issues, never batteries to replace, and you can see the 3d from all viewing angle.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #66
chedixon
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E93 320d Msport

I splashed out on a top line Samsung a few years ago now and it suffered from banding, the customer service was very poor I have to say, enought to put me off another. The Panasonic plasmas do have a great picture, I'd probably go for one of those next time, from John Lewis too as they are great if you encounter an issue.
Bought an LG for the bedroom and I must confess its exceeded my expectation, don't know how it will stand the test of time but it's got a 5 year warranty so should be ok for that period.
Sony downstairs has been good too, nice picture and no probs so far, again, has a 5 year warranty though