E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Long Shot: Fuse or wire that goes hot while doors are locked?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
jwzimm
Major
jwzimm's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
1,167
Posts

 
Drives: '11 335i X-drive Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Renton, WA

iTrader: (10)

Long Shot: Fuse or wire that goes hot while doors are locked?

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know of a fuse or a circuit that goes hot only when the doors are locked? I would like to wire in my dash cam to be powered only while the doors are lock (alarm armed if installed). This would save on run time and prevent some battery discharge errors I get.

Let me know if anyone can help.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
bmw325i
Brigadier General
58
Rep
4,494
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United States

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
Hey everyone,

Does anyone know of a fuse or a circuit that goes hot only when the doors are locked? I would like to wire in my dash cam to be powered only while the doors are lock (alarm armed if installed). This would save on run time and prevent some battery discharge errors I get.

Let me know if anyone can help.
Not sure if this will help entirely, but the flashing light for the alarm turns on when the car is locked might want to look into the wiring for that.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
jwzimm
Major
jwzimm's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
1,167
Posts

 
Drives: '11 335i X-drive Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Renton, WA

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
Not sure if this will help entirely, but the flashing light for the alarm turns on when the car is locked might want to look into the wiring for that.
Good thought. I don't have the alarm installed though so that may not work. I have a RemoteKey+ that does blink the light but I don't think that would work.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
CenCal 335is
Private First Class
CenCal 335is's Avatar
Brazil
4
Rep
130
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335is Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central Cali (and Sometimes Brazil)

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
You can always setup a relay that closes the circuit when no power is applied (open when powered). With the closed circuit, you then use a wire from the battery to power what ever you need. However, you will drain your battery.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
jwzimm
Major
jwzimm's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
1,167
Posts

 
Drives: '11 335i X-drive Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Renton, WA

iTrader: (10)

That's just it. If I wanted to power it all the time I can easily do that from the fusebox. What I want is to only power it when the doors are locked. That way it won't be powered while I am parked at home in my garage and waste the battery.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #6
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
24
Rep
1,697
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenCal 335is View Post
You can always setup a relay that closes the circuit when no power is applied (open when powered). With the closed circuit, you then use a wire from the battery to power what ever you need. However, you will drain your battery.
I think this is the best option, but I'm not sure of a line in the fusebox that obeys the strict condition of doors locked, which you'd want. There's Terminal 30g, but that goes cold half an hour after the car is locked. A 30m delay isn't really ideal.

That said, there are plenty of dashcams powered constantly that record in 'parked' mode - they record on loop and save only when an 'event' happens, like the car gets bumped or something interesting in the video occurs. That I think is your best bet.

Anyway, there's basically no solution whatsoever that doesn't cause battery drain while parked, so eh. damned if you do, damned if you don't.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 11:27 PM   #7
bmw325i
Brigadier General
58
Rep
4,494
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United States

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
Good thought. I don't have the alarm installed though so that may not work. I have a RemoteKey+ that does blink the light but I don't think that would work.
There is a way to emulate the blinking light, so I think there should still be power there without the alarm. The other option is to have it turn on when the car turns off with a relay as mentioned above.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST