E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Methanol flow problem...help wanted



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
BLK_08E90
Lieutenant
BLK_08E90's Avatar
6
Rep
428
Posts

Drives: 2008 E90 335i, 2011 E70 X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCAL-San Diego

iTrader: (8)

Methanol flow problem...help wanted

I have been troubleshooting my PPS Methanol system to findout why I'm only showing 4 on my Meth Injection Flow. I'm thinking a clog somewhere, here is a list of my setup.

- Procede V5 2.5 stage 2 11-25 map (DCI, BOV, DP's, Exhaust)
- Snow Performance VC-25
- Snow Performance 150 psi pump
- Snow Perfromance Upgrade solenoid
- Labonte IFS-30(replaced with SP)
- Snow Performance M7 nozzle tapped to a ER Charge pipe with a tial BOV (nozzle is located just before the BOV, should be ok right?)
- A 1/4 joiner (plastic) to fix a kink on the line between the IFS-30 and Solenoid's IN port.

I set injection flow to 9-12 but no flash 100% meth and 3-4 injection flow, and no hazards but when I set to 4 my datalog shows 100% meth, 3-4 injection flow, and a decrease of 1-2 degrees on IAT. Hazard flash is not solid.

I do have a snow performance safe injection on order just in case its my labonte unit but just wondering if anybody can throw in any ideas on what else can I look at. Any thoughts and ideas are welcomed...Thanks in advance

EDIT: Datalog below is with a Snow Performance Failsafe installed...Injection flow now 10-11% but not steady

Last edited by BLK_08E90; 02-08-2012 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Added more info
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
themyst
Major General
themyst's Avatar
South Korea
91
Rep
6,608
Posts

Drives: E90 335i LCI
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to themyst
Turn meth setup on with nozzle, spray into measuring cup for 30 seconds. If you see around 300 ml ur kit is fine

I would bet your flow sensor is toast. Everyone has had issues with that specific unit.
__________________
E90 LCI N54 6AT
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
BLK_08E90
Lieutenant
BLK_08E90's Avatar
6
Rep
428
Posts

Drives: 2008 E90 335i, 2011 E70 X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCAL-San Diego

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
Turn meth setup on with nozzle, spray into measuring cup for 30 seconds. If you see around 300 ml ur kit is fine

I would bet your flow sensor is toast. Everyone has had issues with that specific unit.
This was my next test, everything was running fine up until I upgraded to v5 2.5. From what I have searched here on the forum, the Labonte unit does not last long. I had this unit for almost 2 years now so maybe it finally quit on me. Does anybody had a nozzle clog up for sitting too long?

Last edited by BLK_08E90; 01-26-2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: .
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
BLK_08E90
Lieutenant
BLK_08E90's Avatar
6
Rep
428
Posts

Drives: 2008 E90 335i, 2011 E70 X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCAL-San Diego

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
Turn meth setup on with nozzle, spray into measuring cup for 30 seconds. If you see around 300 ml ur kit is fine

I would bet your flow sensor is toast. Everyone has had issues with that specific unit.
I did this test and I'm only seing about 214 ml for 30 secs. also does the pump suppose to pump continously? it sounded like it was pumping in continous burst. Any ideas? is my pump toast too?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
kennejp
First Lieutenant
6
Rep
317
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: TN

iTrader: (2)

So I had a problem with my flow and checked everything and it actually ended up being the tube in the tank wasnt sucking the meth in right. The tube in tank has to be perfect and has to be a lot longer then I thought. Make sure yours is correct I think there is alot of talk about this on coolingmists diy. Also you can check by hooking up a air gun to the boost tube and just letting the meth flow into a bucket. Make sure there are not any air bubbles.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #6
cn555ic
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
cn555ic's Avatar
United_States
274
Rep
18,303
Posts


Drives: Bimmerscoding.com
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York

iTrader: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to cn555ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK_08E90 View Post
I did this test and I'm only seing about 214 ml for 30 secs. also does the pump suppose to pump continously? it sounded like it was pumping in continous burst. Any ideas? is my pump toast too?
214ml for 30 seconds is good flow. YOur Labonte unit took a crap on you. You are using 100% meth and your lucky to even get 2 years out of flow sensor. Do yourself a favor and order the Aquamist HE505 and follow my DIY to get it working with Procede. Your pump is fine since you are showing 214ml, which equates to over 428ml/min which is what a SP nozzle would flow. They are flow rated much higher than what is stated of 375ml/min.
__________________
917-939-4980 Email address : ccnoner@aol.com

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
enrita
Major General
enrita's Avatar
Sweden
99
Rep
7,382
Posts

Drives: 335i - Big turbos
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Italian in Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
214ml for 30 seconds is good flow. YOur Labonte unit took a crap on you. You are using 100% meth and your lucky to even get 2 years out of flow sensor. Do yourself a favor and order the Aquamist HE505 and follow my DIY to get it working with Procede. Your pump is fine since you are showing 214ml, which equates to over 428ml/min which is what a SP nozzle would flow. They are flow rated much higher than what is stated of 375ml/min.
this
__________________
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
cn555ic
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
cn555ic's Avatar
United_States
274
Rep
18,303
Posts


Drives: Bimmerscoding.com
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York

iTrader: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to cn555ic
Since you already have the SP unit, just hook that up and you should be good to go. The SP unit is the next best thing to the Aquamist unit, but my SP unit failed on me intermittently when it got hot and also if you plan on going dual nozzles in the future, the flow sensor will not handle flow of more than one M10 nozzle. If you do the flow wheel will seize. I changed over to the Aquamist unit and it's been working flawlessly. Here is my thread just in case you are going with the Aquamist flow sensor

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622947
__________________
917-939-4980 Email address : ccnoner@aol.com

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #9
BLK_08E90
Lieutenant
BLK_08E90's Avatar
6
Rep
428
Posts

Drives: 2008 E90 335i, 2011 E70 X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCAL-San Diego

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Since you already have the SP unit, just hook that up and you should be good to go. The SP unit is the next best thing to the Aquamist unit, but my SP unit failed on me intermittently when it got hot and also if you plan on going dual nozzles in the future, the flow sensor will not handle flow of more than one M10 nozzle. If you do the flow wheel will seize. I changed over to the Aquamist unit and it's been working flawlessly. Here is my thread just in case you are going with the Aquamist flow sensor

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622947
My SP came in yesterday and I hooked it up and did a quick run (3rd to 4th) to see if I got everything installed correctly. Injection flow set at 11 but saw a 20 spike and levels off around 13-14...the log was pretty bad so I'll wait until I get a good pull and I'll post it.

Thank you for everyone's input...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #10
BLK_08E90
Lieutenant
BLK_08E90's Avatar
6
Rep
428
Posts

Drives: 2008 E90 335i, 2011 E70 X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCAL-San Diego

iTrader: (8)

here are my logs with the SP installed, why is my flow not steady/constant flow and i'm getting around 10-11 %..do you guys think my pump is not holding pressure
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 07:54 PM   #11
cn555ic
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
cn555ic's Avatar
United_States
274
Rep
18,303
Posts


Drives: Bimmerscoding.com
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York

iTrader: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to cn555ic
why are you using the parameter methanol injector % when your using a PPS kit, you should use methanol injection FLOW That might be the issue
__________________
917-939-4980 Email address : ccnoner@aol.com

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #12
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
United_States
459
Rep
21,821
Posts


Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

iTrader: (33)

^ good eye

Also 2 years? Mine lasted 2 minutes!

Go with the aquamist flow sensor. It's the best one so far.
__________________
|Facebook Coupons||Evolution Racewerks| |Active Autowerke| |ETS| |Burger Tuning| |AR Design| |Mishimoto||VRSF| |AWE| |Wagner|

|HPB LED / HID| |VTT| |KW| |Spec| |ST Coilovers| |Koni| |Bilstein| |Borla| |Magnaflow| |AFE| |Shifteck| |Injen|
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 09:43 PM   #13
BLK_08E90
Lieutenant
BLK_08E90's Avatar
6
Rep
428
Posts

Drives: 2008 E90 335i, 2011 E70 X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCAL-San Diego

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
why are you using the parameter methanol injector % when your using a PPS kit, you should use methanol injection FLOW That might be the issue
I am using methanol injection flow, it's on view 3 blue line...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #14
cn555ic
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
cn555ic's Avatar
United_States
274
Rep
18,303
Posts


Drives: Bimmerscoding.com
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York

iTrader: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to cn555ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK_08E90 View Post
I am using methanol injection flow, it's on view 3 blue line...
Do you have the the methanol mode also set to "0" for pps instead of "1" for PWM in the Procede adjustable parameters?
__________________
917-939-4980 Email address : ccnoner@aol.com

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 12:57 PM   #15
BLK_08E90
Lieutenant
BLK_08E90's Avatar
6
Rep
428
Posts

Drives: 2008 E90 335i, 2011 E70 X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCAL-San Diego

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Do you have the the methanol mode also set to "0" for pps instead of "1" for PWM in the Procede adjustable parameters?
got it on PPS mode..did a quick 4th gear run with injection mode set @ 8 and was getting a steady hazard lights, 17 psi, and IAT drops. Maybe my max flow is only 10-11 and my pump is not putting out enough pressure.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #16
cn555ic
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
cn555ic's Avatar
United_States
274
Rep
18,303
Posts


Drives: Bimmerscoding.com
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York

iTrader: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to cn555ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK_08E90 View Post
got it on PPS mode..did a quick 4th gear run with injection mode set @ 8 and was getting a steady hazard lights, 17 psi, and IAT drops. Maybe my max flow is only 10-11 and my pump is not putting out enough pressure.
The only way to tell is if you change the nozzle to a M10 and see if the flow reading increases with the larger nozzle...If not then there is a clog somewhere...My reading with the SP safeinjection showed flow with a M7 at 15-17 and with M10 it was showing 23-25...
Right now with my Aquamist unit its always showing flow at 21 with M10 and steady...There is no spikes of any kind..
__________________
917-939-4980 Email address : ccnoner@aol.com

Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:24 PM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST