E90Post

PYSPEED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Seat Smoking!!!!Seat side bolster pump.

02-10-2012, 05:02 AM   #1
MattRuf
Matt

Drives: E91 320d se

Question Seat Smoking!!!!Seat side bolster pump.

This forum has helped me out numerous times with what appears to be "common BM faults.......So this might be a new one for ya all.

I thoughts my backside was on fire as I entered a roundabout, car full of smoke!!! I don't generally do worry but i was slightly concerned!
Luckily it wasn't my arse just my seat merely smoking.....(20 a day by the amount of smoke in the car)
The side bolster pump was running flat out the switch on the seat seemed to have no effect on the pump and the side bolsters were still at the normal level of inflation!!!.... I took the back off of my seat and disconnected the pump to stop further fire & brimstone and the fact it would drain the battery as it was still running but with no obvious damage to it or the area.
My questions
Pump still runs, so what burnt out? Switch? but that much smoke?(pump doesn't smell burnt out either!!)
I haven't checked the fuses, but i presume one didn't blow as the pump kept running. Why?
I'm alright with greasy things but trying to get the side plastic panels off (manual adjust levers) the seat gets me right nervous!!! any pointers to where ALL the clips are

Help... and comments Please. I hate things not working.
MattRuf is offline   United Kingdom
      02-11-2012, 06:56 AM   #2
Enlisted Member

Drives: E91 320d Sports+

I wonder if the pump switch temp stuck on, and the motor was overworked. This would cause motor windings to overheat and the lacquered insulation would start to burn causing the smoke. If stopped quickly enough the motor might survive if insulation does not burn off. So you might just be ok to carry on but be ready to disconnect the motor quickly again, best solution is to service/replace switches and motor though.
      02-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Major

Drives: 06 E90 330, 15 AY F82 M4TMFW

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [5.00]
Second time I've heard of something like this. My dentists 650 vert drivers sides seat caught fire while he was driving. Burnt through the leather and set his pants up. Melted his wallet w all his credit cards as well. They never could figure out why. He wasn't even using the heat at the time. Replaced both seats as a precaution. Good luck w your fix

LIVE FAST..DRIVE FASTER!!
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!! is offline   United_States
      02-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
MattRuf
Matt

Well I've had a quick look again between work and the weather and when i removed the side trim to the seat, it appears the switch and the wiring to the switch has all burnt out.
Still haven't checked the fuses yet.........why they ever put the fuse box in such a awkward place!!

Funny enough I wasn't using and haven't used the adjustment for sometime so god knows why it decided to play up then. Sounds like I got away with it lightly against the 650

The pump is working fine so i'll replace the wiring and put a new switch in .....but would still like to find out why it went in the first place...

Cheers for ya support
      02-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
JLR1969
Brigadier General

Drives: Ford GT Lawn Tractor

Breaking wind whilst driving has been know to cause over heating
JLR1969 is offline   United Kingdom
      02-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #6
MattRuf
Matt

depends on how tight ya trousers are!!!
      02-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #7
BC4J
Captain

Drives: F30 On Order

Garage List
2007 E90 335d  [0.00]
STOP doing this! It might help.
Attached Images

03-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
Dino355
e46 M3 fan

Drives: e46 M3

Garage List
2003 BMW M3  [3.00]
This happened to our LCI too: My thread about seat fire

In our car the wiring was at fault and was replaced under warranty along with the switch. Took months for the foul smell to go away
Dino355 is offline   United Kingdom
      03-02-2012, 05:30 AM   #9
MattRuf
Matt

sadly mine is out of warranty now...and due to my need to repeatedly clean my car the smell has gone...just .
I've checked all the fuses and not one has blown ...which really has confused me.
So I'm going to remove the relevant fuses, again which will involve some seriously dodgy bodily positions.....replace, solder, and refit my replacement switch and see if i get the same smoke effect....wish me luck.....I shall have the kitchen fire extinguisher standing by..oh and the car insurance is up-to-date.
      03-02-2012, 05:34 AM   #10
Dino355
e46 M3 fan

Garage List
2003 BMW M3  [3.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattRuf View Post
sadly mine is out of warranty now...and due to my need to repeatedly clean my car the smell has gone...just .
I've checked all the fuses and not one has blown ...which really has confused me.
So I'm going to remove the relevant fuses, again which will involve some seriously dodgy bodily positions.....replace, solder, and refit my replacement switch and see if i get the same smoke effect....wish me luck.....I shall have the kitchen fire extinguisher standing by..oh and the car insurance is up-to-date.
Take the affected seat off and check all the wiring underneath - you may need to buy a replacement loom and plug as well as the switch. Our wiring is what caused the smoke and when BMW assist came to check the car they cut the wiring as it had all started to fuse together which could have caused a serious fire
      03-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #11
MattRuf
Matt

Well I've had my head stuck under the seat and found some damaged wires, cut these out, soldered new wires in with a new plug and switch.
and...................
Yeah it works but.
only on one side. Further inspection revealed the pump was ok but the valve control switch on one side was buggered and by the looks of it might have been the source of the whole problem.
Order another new part.
Thanks for the advice Dino355. I really have looked long and hard under the seat (really didn't fancy removing it) and could only find one small section of the loom damaged, But i haven't parked it in the garage tonight!!!
      03-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #12
Dino355
e46 M3 fan

Garage List
2003 BMW M3  [3.00]
You really should take the seat off mate - it's only 4 bolts! It's much easier to see what's going on under there with the seat out.

Funny as ours was only working on one side prior to the wiring burning up
      03-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #13
MattRuf
Matt

Think I might in the morning....I am fairly confident , but I will. There is enough slack in the loom not to have to unplug it, if all is ok.

I must say it does concern me that the fuse didn't blow, (and yes i have checked the right size fuse was fitted)