E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Muffler Delete?

02-11-2012, 02:42 AM   #1
chimichangaz
Private

Drives: 2011 E90 335i - N55

Muffler Delete?

Hi guys,

I have a 2011 335i Sedan and I'm thinking of a muffler delete. I live in LA and I want to hear some cars with the delete. Anyone have any suggestions of where I can do it and for how much? Please post a video and it'll be really helpful if we had the same car.

Thanks

Last edited by chimichangaz; 02-11-2012 at 02:49 AM.
      02-11-2012, 04:25 AM   #2
HACKULO
Captain

Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i coupe  [0.00]
2008 135i  [3.00]
i did muffler delete on my 2012 e92 coupe, sounds good and loud, but after i change to catless downpipe, its turn into too loud, i drive a lot, so i gave up. put the muffler back.
if u use the stock downpipe, its sounds really good

cheap fast cars arent reliable
reliable cheap cars arent fast
and fast reliable cars ARENT CHEAP
      02-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
kiwi29
Team iTouge

Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

If you come down to long beach, there's a place down here that's really good and i always take my car there. it's called tech's mufflers look for the info under reputable SoCal shops in the stickies. Not too sure how much but prices are pretty decent. The muffler delete adds a nice tone to your car. If you want it a bit louder I recommend a resonator delete as well.
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
kiwi29 is offline   United_States
      02-16-2012, 02:15 AM   #4
chimichangaz
Private

Thanks for the replies, how about drone problems? Does that get very annoying? Can you guys list some pros and cons? Thanks
      02-16-2012, 02:21 AM   #5
Whorning
Major

Drives: AW E90 335i

Garage List
Send a message via Skype™ to Whorning
i have both a muffler and resonator delete and i personally do enjoy the sound it makes, however it is extremely loud especially on a cold start. the drone is quite noticeable but it doesn't really annoy me to no ends. i do have a couple of friends that have swapped it out due to the drone though. it kinda just depends on how sensitive you are to drone.

pro - much cheaper than swapping the entire exhaust system and still produces a nice sound.

con - quite a bit of drone! (but this will be an issue with every aftermarket exhaust system as well, with some droning more than others obviously) so it essentially all depends on how much it bugs you.

LCI Rear Conversion | Custom BBS CH l Karbonwerke CF CSL Trunk l Duke Dynamics Performance Diffuser | LTBMW Custom Molded Lip | ST Coilovers | JB3 PnP
Whorning is offline   Taiwan
      02-16-2012, 04:23 AM   #6
kiwi29
Team iTouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimichangaz View Post
Thanks for the replies, how about drone problems? Does that get very annoying? Can you guys list some pros and cons? Thanks
I agree with whorning, its on sound preference but being that its a nicer tone than stock, it makes you feel faster cuz you can hear the roar. The pros are it being cheaper and sounds really great. Not to mention the cops don't really care too much for german imports. The cons, well depending on your driving it can lead to drone but since I have a 6mt with louder exhausts before, I know how to balance it out so I'm not too loud. Its not obnoxious only on some ice cold starts. So all in all, id say try it out without a res delete first then if you want it louder on high end, cut the resonator out and go from there honestly the muffler delete didn't seem loud enough for me hahaha but still a nice step in the modding world. The worst that can happen is you don't like it, you can always resell it and people will buy it pretty quickly. Drone for most people though, is when they shift too early and try to floor it. It creates a really loud exhaut note and kills gas too, not to mention it sounds a lot nicer when you rev it bmws have some big balls, its just covered like crazy! And you'll be cutting off about 20 lbs per muffer and 10 lbs from the resonator. So less weight and restriction = better flow and possibly more hp and backpressure if done correctly
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
      02-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán

Drives: Mojave E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whorning View Post
i have both a muffler and resonator delete and i personally do enjoy the sound it makes, however it is extremely loud especially on a cold start. the drone is quite noticeable but it doesn't really annoy me to no ends. i do have a couple of friends that have swapped it out due to the drone though. it kinda just depends on how sensitive you are to drone.

pro - much cheaper than swapping the entire exhaust system and still produces a nice sound.

con - quite a bit of drone! (but this will be an issue with every aftermarket exhaust system as well, with some droning more than others obviously) so it essentially all depends on how much it bugs you.

What causes the drone? The lack of muffler or resonator?
pimp4cheddar is offline   United_States
      02-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #8
hipnotic
Major General

Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [3.50]
lack of muffler creates the drone. Get it done
      02-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
kiwi29
Team iTouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp4cheddar View Post
What causes the drone? The lack of muffler or resonator?
The lack of a resonator(s) creates drone, its really not too noticeable unless you drive w/o music on or drive at WOT all the time
      02-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #10
Whorning
Major

Drives: AW E90 335i

Garage List
Send a message via Skype™ to Whorning
Yep, exactly what kiwi said

LCI Rear Conversion | Custom BBS CH l Karbonwerke CF CSL Trunk l Duke Dynamics Performance Diffuser | LTBMW Custom Molded Lip | ST Coilovers | JB3 PnP
Whorning is offline   Taiwan
      02-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #11
jmkworld
Captain

Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Hi guys,

I have a 2011 335i Sedan and I'm thinking of a muffler delete. I live in LA and I want to hear some cars with the delete. Anyone have any suggestions of where I can do it and for how much? Please post a video and it'll be really helpful if we had the same car.

Thanks
selling my pipes and tips

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649388
      02-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #12
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán

Drives: Mojave E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh06lau View Post
lack of muffler creates the drone. Get it done
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
The lack of a resonator(s) creates drone, its really not too noticeable unless you drive w/o music on or drive at WOT all the time

Muffler or resonator?

I ask because I did the Golf Tee Mod...but I'm still wanting more grrrrwwwwllll without the DRONE!!!

And NO! I refuse to spend $1,000+ on an exhaust system!
pimp4cheddar is offline   United_States
      02-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #13
kiwi29
Team iTouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp4cheddar View Post

Muffler or resonator?

I ask because I did the Golf Tee Mod...but I'm still wanting more grrrrwwwwllll without the DRONE!!!

And NO! I refuse to spend $1,000+ on an exhaust system!
+1, that is why i made my own custom exhaust system do i like it more? HELL YEAH! why? cuz it cost me a fraction of the cost for a race exhaust muffler alone! well the oem muffler is a resonator too believe it or not, it muffles the sound from getting out which in term, restricts air flow for a quieter exhaust note. The golf tee mod, well i say don't do it for one reason only, the actuator creates a backpressure effect on the muffler so that when you're at WOT, you can have backpressure to launch off of. The muffler delete will make you loose the acuator but will make you sound alot nicer since it cuts the restriction off alot and cuts off ALOT of weight as well.
      02-17-2012, 12:51 AM   #14
chimichangaz
Private

Thanks for the replies, but tbh I don't really understand what drone is... Also I plan on getting only muffler deletes, isn't that just taking off the mufflers? What is there to sell? Please explain what drone is to me. Also I drove mostly D/DS not a lot of auto but when i do I shift decently. Is the sound going to be obnoxious or just head turning (in a good way)?

Thanks again, please throw in any other advice, question tips.
      02-17-2012, 12:59 AM   #15
Slow_335i
Daily Driven!

Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335I  [3.32]
I had this done about a month ago and love it!

People constantly complain about drone but you'll get use to it. It's not all that bad.
      02-18-2012, 02:28 AM   #16
chimichangaz
Private

My car's under lease, does the delete involve sawing the muffler out? And if it does can it be replaced back to normal?
      02-18-2012, 03:19 AM   #17
idrift4wd
Brigadier General

Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [3.50]
Quote:
Thanks for the replies, but tbh I don't really understand what drone is... Also I plan on getting only muffler deletes, isn't that just taking off the mufflers? What is there to sell? Please explain what drone is to me. Also I drove mostly D/DS not a lot of auto but when i do I shift decently. Is the sound going to be obnoxious or just head turning (in a good way)?

Thanks again, please throw in any other advice, question tips.
drone is something you should worry about. It makes driving your car annoying. Your car creates a noise/vibration that your muffler takes away. without it, it makes the cabin much louder. 2000-2500 RPM is usually the loudest, and usually the most used RPM. Just think about a road trip.... with a loud buzz for hours.

This is my N54, You have a N55. Different, but you'll get the idea.

02-18-2012, 03:21 AM   #18
idrift4wd
Brigadier General

Garage List
2007 BMW  [3.50]
Quote:
My car's under lease, does the delete involve sawing the muffler out? And if it does can it be replaced back to normal?
it does require cutting/sawing off the muffler.

I guess you can just have it welded back on.
      02-18-2012, 03:40 AM   #19
chimichangaz
Private

Ok thanks for the advice. Now how about a golf tee mod? (just unplugging the hose in the trunk). Is this in ANY way bad for your car even after months? Please list some pros and cons. Anything is appreciated. Thanks.
      02-18-2012, 03:43 AM   #20
idrift4wd
Brigadier General

Garage List
2007 BMW  [3.50]
Quote:
Ok thanks for the advice. Now how about a golf tee mod? (just unplugging the hose in the trunk). Is this in ANY way bad for your car even after months? Please list some pros and cons. Anything is appreciated. Thanks.
i ran golf tee mod for months no issues.

compared to a muffler delete its nothing. lol

its noticeably louder but not by much. You will still sound stock. In terms of cons...people say it throws codes, but nothing that will cause any harm. it may rattle but you can always plug it back in.
      02-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #21
dbjb
I sweat pheromones

Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

FYI, some posters do not have n54 engines. Apples and oranges.
      02-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #22
kiwi29
Team iTouge

Drone in a shorter sense is when your car makes the same tone climbing up in the rpms, its not bad honestly like I said, jjust drive with music on when you get annoyed. Its a good mod for starters. The golf tee mod just makes you loose some backpressure nothing too bad