E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Need help. Car smashed in lot

01-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #1
AMG KLR
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: S65 M3, N54 E92

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hey fellas. Long story short someone hit my bumper as they were pulling out. Police report filed and other guy admitted to it etc.

I can either get an estimate and forward it to the guy and he will send me a check, or I can get it through insurance.

Guy who hit me was a college kid but the father came. Very nice guy you can tell his success s550 Mercedes and Rolex etc so no worry about money.

What are my options for a bumper now? I am hoping to get a m3 bumper on my 06 325i now. What should I do bumper wise and payment wise?

So far only damage looks to be the bumper itself. No fender damage or engine damage or suspension. The guy had a huge ram and hit it with the tire. No damage to his car!
Thanks!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/GYrMZsw.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/u5Iamzj.jpg[/img]
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 05:07 PM   #2
fravel
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG KLR
Hey fellas. Long story short someone hit my bumper as they were pulling out. Police report filed and other guy admitted to it etc. I can either get an estimate and forward it to the guy and he will send me a check, or I can get it through insurance. Guy who hit me was a college kid but the father came. Very nice guy you can tell his success s550 Mercedes and Rolex etc so no worry about money. What are my options for a bumper now? I am hoping to get a m3 bumper on my 06 325i now. What should I do bumper wise and payment wise? Thanks!
Go through insurance so if your initial estimate is short you can go back to the insurance company and get more money. I had a lady back into me and she cracked the headlight housing, didn't realize it until I washed my car a few days after the adjuster gave his estimate, ended up getting an extra $1200.
      01-02-2014, 05:08 PM   #3
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [3.50]
Get an estimate from body shop, send kid/father estimate. get check to pay for bodywork/paint. i would stay away from insurance if possible.

You have a few option, but mainly 2. M3 rep front bumper (350-450+) and m-tech front bumper in pre-lci or lci form (400-500+)

You could also get performance bumper, but the other two are more popular.
      01-02-2014, 05:12 PM   #4
AMG KLR
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd
Get an estimate from body shop, send kid/father estimate. get check to pay for bodywork/paint. i would stay away from insurance if possible.

You have a few option, but mainly 2. M3 rep front bumper (350-450+) and m-tech front bumper in pre-lci or lci form (400-500+)

You could also get performance bumper, but the other two are more popular.
I would prefer to go oem as possible. Or at least high quality bumper. I want a m3 rep but this is my dad's car but I use it as a daily and he does not want the m3 rep (but I do!)
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 06:22 PM   #5
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [3.50]
An OEM M3 bumper won't work because the M3 had E92 headlights, even on the E90s.

You also can't go LCI because you'd need a new hood as the grilles are different between LCI and pre LCI.

So your choice is the pre LCI performance bumper or a rep. Your headlight is also definitely broken so you'll need a new one of those too.
      01-02-2014, 06:46 PM   #6
AMG KLR
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole
An OEM M3 bumper won't work because the M3 had E92 headlights, even on the E90s.

You also can't go LCI because you'd need a new hood as the grilles are different between LCI and pre LCI.

So your choice is the pre LCI performance bumper or a rep. Your headlight is also definitely broken so you'll need a new one of those too.
Headlight broken? It's working fine I think. can you elaborate?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 06:53 PM   #7
E92TTKING
Lieutenant Colonel
Greece
Rep

Drives: e92

trade your car for his rolex
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 07:53 PM   #8
Mardio
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 335is space grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92TTKING View Post
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 08:36 PM   #9
Han445
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2009 BMW 335i Cabrio

Don't claim it... Fix it at a local body shop
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 09:27 PM   #10
rick100
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 328

find out what is the price of the bumper you need , then find out what is the price of the bumper you want and make them pay the difference.

maybe post a pic of the damage to get a better idea
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 10:01 PM   #11
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
Rep

Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Get an estimate from a body shop for what it will cost to fix it back to OEM. Then have them write a check and you can do whatever you want with the money.

Your only option is OEM pre-LCI Performance or pre-LCI M-tech bumper. As mentioned above, OEM M3 will not work without a LOT of other bits.

Your headlight may still be functional, but the mounting tabs are likely broken (it's a little droopy).
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 10:16 PM   #12
AMG KLR
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict
Get an estimate from a body shop for what it will cost to fix it back to OEM. Then have them write a check and you can do whatever you want with the money.

Your only option is OEM pre-LCI Performance or pre-LCI M-tech bumper. As mentioned above, OEM M3 will not work without a LOT of other bits.

Your headlight may still be functional, but the mounting tabs are likely broken (it's a little droopy).
May I have a link to the bumpers you are referring to? I've found that the mtech is discontinued. And as for the headlight, you think the guy will pay for the replacement if it's just the mounting tab that's broken?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 10:21 PM   #13
rick100
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG KLR View Post
May I have a link to the bumpers you are referring to? I've found that the mtech is discontinued. And as for the headlight, you think the guy will pay for the replacement if it's just the mounting tab that's broken?
I highly doubt it. However go to a body shop with him or get a proper estimate from 2 bodyshops and make sure they write down if the headlight needs to be replace or not. If he doesn't believe you , you can always tell him that he can have the broken headlight or you can go through insurance
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 10:31 PM   #14
E90_boostjunky
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: BMW 335I E90 SGM

Like a few others mentioned go to the dealer or a good body shop get an estimate for a new OEM bumper painted and installed. Probably around 900 painted and installed for OEM bumper. Then get on ebay order an m3 replica bumper its 344 shipped mine is 100% fitment, get it painted for around 300-400. Put the rest of the money in your pocket
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 10:43 PM   #15
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
Rep

Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Quote:
The guy is obligated to pay for whatever it takes to restore the car to pre-accident condition, as would what insurance would do. This is why you need an estimate from a body shop, not just tell him how much to pay you. The body shop will determine everything that needs to be repaired or replaced along with the cost and labor. If he refuses to pay, then you can just go through insurance.

Here's a thread with pictures of the performance bumper. Not sure where you can get it though. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346321
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 10:59 PM   #16
AMG KLR
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Oh my that looks great. It does seem a bit boring but so much better than what I had... Looks like I'm going with the performance bumper! I'm going to email tischer and see what they say. Also gonna go to BMW and get a estimate from them. Would it be a good idea to get the estimate from the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 11:06 PM   #17
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [3.50]
Quote:
Headlight broken? It's working fine I think. can you elaborate?
I almost guarantee you it has broken tabs.
      01-03-2014, 01:10 PM   #18
kunal_d
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Drives: 08 335i 3 pedals

Someone hit my bumper in a parking lot a while back. I took the car to a certified body shop. They removed the bumper cover to check for signs of internal damage and replaced with a new one, replaced a fog light as there was a small chip in the glass, and re-aimed the headlights. Apparently a re-aiming is highly recommended after any sort of collision. Total bill for repairs was a cool $2100. In addition my rental for two weeks was $1050. So what seemed like a fairly minor repair actually turned out to be quite pricey.

My advice to you is to go through insurance and get the car fixed properly the first time, since you never know what surprises might be waiting for you down the road.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 02:37 PM   #19
ezmaass
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: '14 550xi / '15 Audi R8 V10

First and foremost - DO THIS THROUGH INSURANCE. Too many things can go wrong if you try to "work a deal" with the other party on the side. Just because someone drives a nice MB and has a Rolex doesn't mean they're going to be honest with you... maybe just the opposite! There's way too much that can go wrong, in my opinion, trying to work the deal directly... one of which, as others pointed out, may be the actual price changing once the car is being repaired. GO THROUGH INSURANCE. People who try to handle this stuff directly end up being Judge Judy cases with "he said, she said" nonsense, etc.

If the police report shows that it's zero-fault for you, your insurance won't go up or otherwise be impacted.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 05:27 PM   #20
AMG KLR
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunal_d View Post
Someone hit my bumper in a parking lot a while back. I took the car to a certified body shop. They removed the bumper cover to check for signs of internal damage and replaced with a new one, replaced a fog light as there was a small chip in the glass, and re-aimed the headlights. Apparently a re-aiming is highly recommended after any sort of collision. Total bill for repairs was a cool $2100. In addition my rental for two weeks was $1050. So what seemed like a fairly minor repair actually turned out to be quite pricey.

My advice to you is to go through insurance and get the car fixed properly the first time, since you never know what surprises might be waiting for you down the road.
Was that with xenon lights or halogens because I have halogens and its just one mounting tap that is broken. Other one is intact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
First and foremost - DO THIS THROUGH INSURANCE. Too many things can go wrong if you try to "work a deal" with the other party on the side. Just because someone drives a nice MB and has a Rolex doesn't mean they're going to be honest with you... maybe just the opposite! There's way too much that can go wrong, in my opinion, trying to work the deal directly... one of which, as others pointed out, may be the actual price changing once the car is being repaired. GO THROUGH INSURANCE. People who try to handle this stuff directly end up being Judge Judy cases with "he said, she said" nonsense, etc.

If the police report shows that it's zero-fault for you, your insurance won't go up or otherwise be impacted.
I have a police report Saying I am not at fault. If I fax the estimate to him and he does not pay the entire balance, then I can go through insurance right? I thought I had 30 days to file a claim for insurance legally before I am not liable
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 05:36 PM   #21
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92TTKING View Post
A measure of his success, or indebtedness?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 05:36 PM   #22
rick100
Lieutenant
Rep

you know what really sucks is that if you go through insurance you car will be label as being in an accident, unfortunately if you ever want to resale your car it will loose some value because now it is not accident free. It sucks that nobody pays you for car depreciation due to an accident.

If you go private there is not way for carfax or carproof to track the accident so your car would still be accident free (assuming this is the first accident)
Appreciate 0