E90Post
 


Horizon LED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > bluetooth audio and iphone setup



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-13-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
jonnyuk06
First Lieutenant
jonnyuk06's Avatar
6
Rep
374
Posts

 
Drives: 330d SE
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: UK...Leicester

iTrader: (3)

bluetooth audio and iphone setup

Work has just bought us all iphones (thank you very much work),

my car has oem bluetooth and aux only so no usb port. i have installed the bmw link app because i would like to mount the phone on the dash somewhere. this leaves with a problem in terms of

1:charging the iphone
2:getting audio from the phone to the car

now i could route a cable from the arm rest through the centre console and out of a vent to a dash board mount, this would allow me to charge the phone and play music through the iphone if i buy something like

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294

and

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294

my other option is to not bother routing a cable and get one of these to stick in the arm rest and stream my audio over bluetooth.
i'm not sure how good the quality is though?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294 that would allow me


i also have a few questions about the iphone station (i know you can't get it in this country but can order from germany)

i assume you buy the mount on its own but i'd want to link it straight into the back of the stereo using the harness so i don't have to put a cable through the centre console (you would also see the cable coming out of the vents etc to the phone which i want to avoid if possible), can you use harness without the bluetooth module (i don't need it because i have phone bluetooth).

cheers
__________________
Driving....330d SE
Gone to the stealers (i want it back )....130i
Gone to the stealers....123d M Sport Coupe-BMWP 313 Alloys, BMWP CF Rear Diffuser, BMWP CF Spoiler, BMWP Black Grills, BMWP Pedals, Alpine Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
Mart1000
Capt Slow
Mart1000's Avatar
14
Rep
1,076
Posts

 
Drives: Leon FR Supercopa
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Suffolk

iTrader: (1)

I'd just be happy for my car to hook up to my iphone, friggin shitty bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
makkan00
Major General
makkan00's Avatar
United Kingdom
128
Rep
7,659
Posts

 
Drives: F10
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

iTrader: (48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyuk06 View Post
Work has just bought us all iphones (thank you very much work),

my car has oem bluetooth and aux only so no usb port. i have installed the bmw link app because i would like to mount the phone on the dash somewhere. this leaves with a problem in terms of

1:charging the iphone
2:getting audio from the phone to the car

now i could route a cable from the arm rest through the centre console and out of a vent to a dash board mount, this would allow me to charge the phone and play music through the iphone if i buy something like

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294

and

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294

my other option is to not bother routing a cable and get one of these to stick in the arm rest and stream my audio over bluetooth.
i'm not sure how good the quality is though?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294 that would allow me


i also have a few questions about the iphone station (i know you can't get it in this country but can order from germany)

i assume you buy the mount on its own but i'd want to link it straight into the back of the stereo using the harness so i don't have to put a cable through the centre console (you would also see the cable coming out of the vents etc to the phone which i want to avoid if possible), can you use harness without the bluetooth module (i don't need it because i have phone bluetooth).

cheers
Can you not stream the music through bluetooth?

If not, can you bot get ipod kit? Ideally it should work with iphone too (please correct me if I am wrong).
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
hems77
Private First Class
7
Rep
198
Posts

 
Drives: E90 320d M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I use this in my car - http://www.amazon.co.uk/BlackBerry-A.../dp/B001E1KP9A

Blackberry Bluetooth Gateway - works great with bluetooth. Connects when I get in and fades out when a call comes in and fades in again once the call has ended. Price is really high now, I only paid 30 about 2 years ago.

Do a search for 'blackberry gateway' in the bluetooth/audio section there is loads of info.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
Poison Dwarf
New Member
Poison Dwarf's Avatar
0
Rep
23
Posts

 
Drives: E90 330i Msport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Reading

iTrader: (0)

Would this work??

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-F8Z49...ef=pd_sim_ce_1

Probably not... lol just realised its mains powered ooops

Last edited by Poison Dwarf; 02-13-2012 at 07:43 PM. Reason: I am stupid!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 04:34 AM   #6
jonnyuk06
First Lieutenant
jonnyuk06's Avatar
6
Rep
374
Posts

 
Drives: 330d SE
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: UK...Leicester

iTrader: (3)

i am leaning towards some kind of bluetooth streaming, the belkin one is allot cheaper but by all accounts the sound quality is not great.

my last question was about the iphone station, does anybody know if you can use the harness that plugs into the back of the stero to stream the music of the iphone straight to the stero without having to buy the module the bluetooth module that you can get for the iphone station?

i would of thought yes but not found any body who has tried it.
__________________
Driving....330d SE
Gone to the stealers (i want it back )....130i
Gone to the stealers....123d M Sport Coupe-BMWP 313 Alloys, BMWP CF Rear Diffuser, BMWP CF Spoiler, BMWP Black Grills, BMWP Pedals, Alpine Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 08:06 AM   #7
jonnyuk06
First Lieutenant
jonnyuk06's Avatar
6
Rep
374
Posts

 
Drives: 330d SE
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: UK...Leicester

iTrader: (3)

well i think i'm going to buy the iphone station cradle, you can buy just the cradle from germany for about 50.

from what i've read i think i can then splice into the aux line in and also get power from the head unit without having to buy the harness.

if anybody knows differently or how to actually do the wiring that would be great
__________________
Driving....330d SE
Gone to the stealers (i want it back )....130i
Gone to the stealers....123d M Sport Coupe-BMWP 313 Alloys, BMWP CF Rear Diffuser, BMWP CF Spoiler, BMWP Black Grills, BMWP Pedals, Alpine Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 07:02 AM   #8
Manchesterr
Private
United Kingdom
2
Rep
73
Posts

 
Drives: 320d M Sport GT
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Manchester, UK

iTrader: (0)

I'm in the same situation as yourself, so am interested in your thread.

I bought the iPhone cradle with my car, only to find out that it was an expensive charger, however, it did allow me to use the external ariel.

Does the iPhone Station allow you to use the external ariel? And how does it power itself?

Or, if the BlackBerry Bluetooth Stereo Gateway was used, could my phone remain in the cradle, both charging and using the external ariel whilst connected to the bluetooth?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 04:27 AM   #9
jonnyuk06
First Lieutenant
jonnyuk06's Avatar
6
Rep
374
Posts

 
Drives: 330d SE
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: UK...Leicester

iTrader: (3)

if you buy the full iphone station kit (i.e the harness and the module then i think it would use the external ariel. i assume you have bluetooth already so it seems an expensive way to go buying the bluetooth module.

i was looking at the bluetooth stero gateway but it does not use the latest bluetooth audio compression so the quality will not be that great.
__________________
Driving....330d SE
Gone to the stealers (i want it back )....130i
Gone to the stealers....123d M Sport Coupe-BMWP 313 Alloys, BMWP CF Rear Diffuser, BMWP CF Spoiler, BMWP Black Grills, BMWP Pedals, Alpine Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #10
SenorFunkyPants
Colonel
SenorFunkyPants's Avatar
United Kingdom
38
Rep
2,622
Posts

 
Drives: E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I used a Griffin Autopilot that worked pretty well.
http://store.griffintechnology.com/i...ne-4/autopilot
or maybe this
http://store.griffintechnology.com/i...-aux-handsfree
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 04:36 AM   #11
SIMPSD3005
New Member
0
Rep
14
Posts

 
Drives: E90 Performance Edition
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Belkin AirCast Auto

I use the Belkin AirCast Auto (there is a non Auto version - it does not connect bluetooth, so ensure you review the Auto version).

Works well as it has the charger and link to the aux port all in one. I put mine in the centre console and leave the push button in the space in front. If you want you can mount it on dash - but i prefer not to so I can hide it easily (cable is real thin so not in the way).

http://www.belkin.com/au/IWCatProduc...duct_Id=530115

With Iphone a longer push of the button activates voice control so you can play playlists or dial contacts.

Sound quality is really good, no interference at all. streamed through Aux. 35 from Amazon.

Just means you are not utilising OEM bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #12
Manchesterr
Private
United Kingdom
2
Rep
73
Posts

 
Drives: 320d M Sport GT
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Manchester, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMPSD3005 View Post
I use the Belkin AirCast Auto (there is a non Auto version - it does not connect bluetooth, so ensure you review the Auto version).

Works well as it has the charger and link to the aux port all in one. I put mine in the centre console and leave the push button in the space in front. If you want you can mount it on dash - but i prefer not to so I can hide it easily (cable is real thin so not in the way).

http://www.belkin.com/au/IWCatProduc...duct_Id=530115

With Iphone a longer push of the button activates voice control so you can play playlists or dial contacts.

Sound quality is really good, no interference at all. streamed through Aux. 35 from Amazon.

Just means you are not utilising OEM bluetooth.
Looks good that!

Can you give us some more info on it please? As I posted above, can you leave your iPhone in the cradle in the armrest, so that you can use the external car ariel, and also use the bluetooth to stream the music from the phone?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 04:42 AM   #13
SIMPSD3005
New Member
0
Rep
14
Posts

 
Drives: E90 Performance Edition
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchesterr View Post
Looks good that!

Can you give us some more info on it please? As I posted above, can you leave your iPhone in the cradle in the armrest, so that you can use the external car ariel, and also use the bluetooth to stream the music from the phone?
I do not have the cradle, but would assume so. The Aircast connects via bluetooth. Once it is paired each time you get in just press the aircast button and it pairs up. It works through audio/telephone streaming so the phone can be anywhere?
No physical connection between the aircast and the phone is needed - the only physical connection is the aircast button which is powered by the power point in the centre console and audio cable which goes into theAux point.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #14
Manchesterr
Private
United Kingdom
2
Rep
73
Posts

 
Drives: 320d M Sport GT
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Manchester, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMPSD3005 View Post
I do not have the cradle, but would assume so. The Aircast connects via bluetooth. Once it is paired each time you get in just press the aircast button and it pairs up. It works through audio/telephone streaming so the phone can be anywhere?
No physical connection between the aircast and the phone is needed - the only physical connection is the aircast button which is powered by the power point in the centre console and audio cable which goes into theAux point.
Do you know if you can just use it for streaming music from an iPhone, and use the cars bluetooth for calls?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 03:41 AM   #15
SIMPSD3005
New Member
0
Rep
14
Posts

 
Drives: E90 Performance Edition
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchesterr
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMPSD3005 View Post
I do not have the cradle, but would assume so. The Aircast connects via bluetooth. Once it is paired each time you get in just press the aircast button and it pairs up. It works through audio/telephone streaming so the phone can be anywhere?
No physical connection between the aircast and the phone is needed - the only physical connection is the aircast button which is powered by the power point in the centre console and audio cable which goes into theAux point.
Do you know if you can just use it for streaming music from an iPhone, and use the cars bluetooth for calls?
Not sure. I don't have Bluetooth so when the call comes in it goes through the aircast. You can select a different output on the phone, but that would be fiddly each time. I don't know if the phone can be set to automatically switch between different outputs.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 04:25 AM   #16
gIzzE
Major General
gIzzE's Avatar
United Kingdom
71
Rep
5,172
Posts

 
Drives: Mercedes ML, F25 X3 and 2.8i Z
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Norfolk, UK.

iTrader: (2)

I would just go with your first choice and tuck it away somewhere.

The iphone station for 50 will give you the bracket, you need the 200 section to get the wiring etc. and as you have bluetooth a bit pointless, not like the kit is that good looking on the e90 either.


Bluetooth audio is pants quality over the phone.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #17
jonnyuk06
First Lieutenant
jonnyuk06's Avatar
6
Rep
374
Posts

 
Drives: 330d SE
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: UK...Leicester

iTrader: (3)

was hoping you may add something to this thread gizze. i have gone with option 1, will worry about mounting the phone in the future.

everything i've read says audio over bluetooth is rubbish, the newer standard is allot better (comparable to cd quality) but i have not found anything that uses it that does not need a mains adapter, hopefully in time something will come along.

for people who have bluetooth already, get a 2 lead, 2 pound usb/cig adapter and do that.

for people without bluetooth then belkin is a good bit of kit for the money, if i had the money though and get the istation (if you can buy it from germany).
__________________
Driving....330d SE
Gone to the stealers (i want it back )....130i
Gone to the stealers....123d M Sport Coupe-BMWP 313 Alloys, BMWP CF Rear Diffuser, BMWP CF Spoiler, BMWP Black Grills, BMWP Pedals, Alpine Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #18
mobileadam
Private First Class
mobileadam's Avatar
4
Rep
162
Posts

 
Drives: 320d e92 M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Berkshire

iTrader: (0)

With the belkin Auto thing does anyone know if you can still use an IPOD as well as this device? I see that the connector of the belkin has what looks likes a USB port and I could just fit a splitter for the 3.5mm jack?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #19
mobileadam
Private First Class
mobileadam's Avatar
4
Rep
162
Posts

 
Drives: 320d e92 M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Berkshire

iTrader: (0)

Actually I now realise that the USB would serve as charging option so I would in theory still connect the BMW IPOD cable to the USB socket in the car and 3.5mm jack via some splitter I guess
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #20
gIzzE
Major General
gIzzE's Avatar
United Kingdom
71
Rep
5,172
Posts

 
Drives: Mercedes ML, F25 X3 and 2.8i Z
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Norfolk, UK.

iTrader: (2)

If you have a BMW iPod cable and the usb option what are you trying to do that you can't do already?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #21
mobileadam
Private First Class
mobileadam's Avatar
4
Rep
162
Posts

 
Drives: 320d e92 M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Berkshire

iTrader: (0)

I'm hoping to be able to have handsfree calls through the car speakers but mic through this device. Means I won't get all tangled with my iPhone headset
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #22
gIzzE
Major General
gIzzE's Avatar
United Kingdom
71
Rep
5,172
Posts

 
Drives: Mercedes ML, F25 X3 and 2.8i Z
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Norfolk, UK.

iTrader: (2)

If you have USB you can activate the bluetooth by coding, add you only need to add a mic and bluetooth antenna for a total of 45.

I take it your car has no factory bluetooth already?
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST