E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > My rather lengthy Dynavin D99 E9X Android review

02-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
kevipedia

Drives: 2008 BMW E92 325i

My rather lengthy Dynavin D99 E9X Android review

Hi there. I'm new to these forums, and thought I'd write a review as a rather weird 'thank you' for all the information I've managed to get off there.

So here goes!

Down here in South Africa we don't get these 'Dynavin' things. I trawled through several forums and they sounded really interested. I mean, Android in a car... and it's made for your model? That's freaking awesome.

After chatting to a few stockists of the D99 E9X version, I eventually found Trent from caraudiocraze.com who was willing to ship to deep, dark Africa.

Shipping cost a fortune, but after a few weeks it finally arrived. I took it to an excellent local installer - Audio Image - and got them to do all the dirty work; I may be in IT, but I know bugger all about electronics.

Now one thing I've found is that the information about these units is scattered all over the internet. Woah! I've never had to look so hard for information for anything! There's the E46 forums, dynavin forums, E90 forums, dynavin.com... the list goes on. Now trying to find relevant information is just such a task, so I thought I'd write my own review, along with some helpful tips so you can get the most out of these units.

As it stands now, my unit is installed and working. I have to take it back to the supplier to find a 'constant 12V' because this thing is now not retaining the radio settings. Trent has informed me that this is quite common with BMWs, and Audio Image seem aware of it, so hopefully they'll be able to get to the bottom.

Installation

I can't offer many installation tips as I didn't do it, but I would just say - be careful about the '12V' power thing. In layman's terms, the BMW E9X (E92 in my case) doesn't supply a CONSTANT 12V source to some switches/fuses (not sure?). If it's not on the CORRECT one then it'll cut power to the unit after ~15 - 25 minutes of the car being off and your radio settings won't be retained. This is incredibly frustrating. Let your installer know about this!

I have read several people bitching about GPS signal problems. Come on guys, think about it - if your GPS receiver is tucked away in your dash somewhere you're obviously going to get terrible signal. It's the reason why cell phone GPS receivers don't really work indoors. I mounted mine on the extreme left, extreme back of the dash and I have had absolutely no problems with GPS signal.

With regards to the positioning of the Bluetooth mic - right by the lights on the roof, near the sunroof buttons etc. Mine is there and it's crystal-clear.

General Use

Now whilst reading the forums it was like doing some word association: See Dynavin D99, find Android! The terms were pretty much synonymous, but there is a slight misconception here.

Yes, the unit is Android based, but this is almost like an afterthought. In fact, there are two distinct sides to this unit. Why they decided to do this I have absolutely no idea, as in my mind it makes sense to do everything Android based, especially since Android is capable of performing all the tasks that the 'radio' side is there for.

It goes something like this:

The unit powers up pretty quickly, but this is in to the 'Radio' side. This allows you to do the following:

1) Listen to the radio
2) Play media via USB/Ipod/SD card
3) Watch TV (ya sure)
4) Change settings for sound, display, and a very limited few system settings
5) See OBC readings
6) Use the phone connected via bluetooth

If you're wanting to go into the 'NAV' side, then we have to go into Android. Now what baffles me is that this unit proudly displays it's capable of doing navigation, but it doesn't tell you there are about 53 000 steps you have to undertake before you'll get anywhere near having working navigation. This unit is MOST CERTAINLY not for somebody who wants an "IDrive" type system - it's so far away from beind remotely close to that level of dumbness.

Once you hit the 'NAV' button you find yourself in the Android homescreen. It strikes me as odd that they left the button to say 'NAV' seen as though it's just taking you into Android... without any NAV installed. Sure, it comes with Google Navigation, but that requires internet access.

Now before I bought the unit I was under the impression that I could just use my spare Huawei 3G modem as my primary source of internet. Uuuh, not so. Sure the unit came with a WiFi dongle, but for goodness' sake, who actually has constant WiFi while they're driving? Surely it makes more sense to have a dedicated simcard attached to the unit so it's 'plug and play' and you're able to then start using all the Android features straight away? Anyway, who am I kidding - these Dynavin folk aren't really the best when it comes to 'user experience.' In order to get Internet, you have to connect to a WiFi hotspot (not Ad-Hoc, that won't work). If you don't have WiFi nearby, forget it. This was extra difficult for me because I stay in an apartment and park underground, so there's no WiFi signal there. I had to use Connectify on Windows 7 to set up a hotspot and go for a drive where I could tinker.

Right, so before using this unit I didn't have any Android experience. Hence, for the benefit of all those out there, these are some of the things you need to do to get your unit 'functional':

1) Install a filemanager. For some reason Dynavin didn't put one on, even though the unit comes with an SD card. Without a file manager, you can't really browse, so you can't install apps (unless they're from the market). I installed 'Astro', and it is the one thing you'll have to install from the Market, while connected to WiFi. You obviously can't install this off an SD card because there's no way to browse there without it!

2) Once Astro is installed you can then navigate to the SD card and root the device. Now I am familiar with Linux, but for the benefit of those who aren't, 'rooting' a device is simply like 'logging in as Administrator' on a Windows machine. Without it, you can't make several system changes, and as loads of 3rd party applications require this access, it's something you will benefit from. There are some custom ROMS available, but the easiest way is using Z4Root. There's a nice page on the E46Fanatics page where you can get all these downloads. I would suggest grabbing the Z4root apk and copying it over to the SD card. Turn on USB debugging (it'll prompt you), select 'Permanent Root' and you're good to go. The device will reboot - that's normal.

3) Now that you have a rooted device, you can start having some fun. The whole 'Google Navigation' is really cool, but for me, I will use navigation when I don't know where I'm going... and down here in Africa that means that it may be out of cell tower range. Yes, you can pre-cache on Google maps, but offline maps is just easier. I downloaded CoPilot and installed this (you may go the legal/illegal route, both work fine). I tested this out and the GPS worked flawlessly - I was very impressed!

4) Install Launcher Pro. This allows you to play around with what buttons are on your home screen. Very handy.

5) Install a music player. This is an important one, and something I will address later on in this mammoth post. I went for DoubleTwist, and it works perfectly.

6) Install a video player - I went for HWVideo or something similar (can't remember), and it played an AVI perfectly.

General Use

The glare... goodness me... the glare! It honestly is ridiculous. You can just forget about ever operating this device if you have any sort of direct sunlight coming in to your car. I can't see anything in the mornings. The brightness settings on the device do absolutely nothing. The buttons however are fairly well played, and not too badly thought out. If you press in the right 'round' button it takes you to the Bluetooth phone, if you press the left one, it takes you to the radio. Volume, Bass, Treble, etc can be adjusted too.

I have read several people complaining about the boot-up time, but this really isn't bad at all. I'd say about 10 seconds to boot into the radio side, and another 20 to get into Android. I really haven't at any stage thought "goodness me this is taking long!"

One handy feature I quite liked was that when you press the 'voice' button on the steering controls it mutes the device. This also worked in Android which was a bonus.

Now because there are two very distinct sides to this device, you have to switch between the two to perform different tasks. It's all good-and-well listening to the radio, but if you switch to Android it simply carries on playing! This is fine in most cases, but I'm still baffled as to how I can 'mute' that side and then listen to music in Android. It just doesn't make sense to me! Sure there's random solutions like playing an mp3 and pausing it, but come on, this device cost nearly $1000 and I'm expected to do that?

External Media

Argh, what a pain! So there's 2 SD card slots on the front of the unit: the one on the left is for Android, the one on the right is for 'Crapville'. By 'Crapville' I mean the DYnavin built stuff that doesn't run on Android.

It really is rubbish. It looks like they bought the rights to an ancient DOS based mp3 player and just chucked that on there. It doesn't read long filenames, and it's very difficult to navigate. I honestly could've written a better media player in one night. Why they chose to use this rubbish is beyond me. The sad thing is, the interface is the same for music on CD or on USB/SD.

Now if you plug an SD card into the 'Crapville' slot, Android doesn't know about it. Conversely, Crapville doesn't know about the Android SD card.

Dynavin are kind enough to supply the extension lead for the USB (which normally runs to the glove-box along with the ipod cable), but this too is invisible to Android. Now for the love of rabbits, what is the point of having that there if the system is so atrocious? Surely it makes sense to leverage Android and use a custom music player? Anyway, I digress.

Now to get USB access in Android is something I've been told is possible but haven't achieved yet. I have read posts about people who have managed to connect USB hubs to the Android side, but I cannot verify this. I am going to buy an extension and hub tomorrow and will report back.

...but where is the USB plug for Android, you ask? It's on the freakin' back of the unit where the WiFi connection is plugged in to! Now how's that for some ridiculous design! It seems like they honestly thought 'Average Joe' would be happy with their media player and wouldn't use Android at all. Boy, were they wrong. With a hub in place I'm hoping I can connect WiFi, Bluetooth, and USB and store all my data on there. That'll be much easier.

One thing to note - when playing music from Android the back speakers just didn't feature at all. They work when I play something through Crapville, but not through Android. I have no idea why this is the case, but it is. The speakers under the front seats however, continue to operate.

Steering Controls

I see it's very convenient of them to highlight that the 'steering controls' work. This is a long-stretch. They work when you're listening to the radio or on Crapville media, but do not work in Android. At all. They also don't work for previous/next track while listening to media on a CD player and/or USB etc. If you plan on using Android for media, get used to using the touchscreen.

Bluetooth

One big selling point and justification for the D99 was the fact that it had a dual-tuner made by Parrot. This is true, and I cannot fault them here. The device works very well. One common problem is the inability to select the first item in the phonebook. This is because your screen isn't calibrated properly. To do this, select the 'AUX' input and press 8 - it'll take you to a calibration menu (hint: you can also press 9 here to get into another settings menu).

More on Android

The processor is slow, and the screen is not a multi-touch screen. You must calibrate the screen on the Android side too, or you will run into problems here. I have yet to figure out how to access running applications as holding down the home screen button doesn't seem to work. Right now, if I run an app I can't quickly exit it and go to another - it seems to kill it. This is certainly not ideal.

I am not sure what android hardware this thing is running, but I can assure you it is cheap. Network connectivity is like a lottery and I couldn't hold a wifi connection for more than 10 minutes. It would stay connected but nothing would work. To fix this I'd have to turn the unit off and on, and then suddenly it would start working again. Also not very ideal.

Features I don't use

iPod: I don't have an iPod and don't intend on buying one. It's much easier to buy one big USB stick and put all your music on there.
OBC: There seems to be a problem with this on my installation and/or unit. I am going to be addressing this on Friday. I however don't really see the value in this - what's the point when most of the information is already infront of you by the dash cluster?

TV: DVB-T? C'mon. We have DVB-H here, so this is useless to me.

Aux: Do people still use Aux? Why?

Video in: I am going to run an RCA cable to my glove-box, but I can't see myself ever using this.

Conclusion

I have mixed feelings about this unit. Whilst it is simply leaps and bounds better than the chinese-named variants, it still has a long way to go. The finish is decent and it could pass for being 'from BMW' (at a push), but there are a lot of usability issues and a LOT of bugs that need to be ironed out.

My suggestions for Dynavin would be:

1) Integrated simcard with 3G, or the ability to add a generic 3G USB modem to the unit. This is easily achievable, and makes a colossal difference. It means the device is always connected without flaky cellphone hotspot stuff.

2) Use a proper Android board, and use Android for EVERYTHING. Hey, guess what - Android can do FM radio, it can do Bluetooth, and it can probably read CDs and ipod too. There's no need for this multiple-personality device. Put some good hardware in there with a decent sized battery attached and chances are it'll be absolutely fine living in sleep mode. Hey look, I'm no engineer but I'm just throwing it out there.

3) Don't release an expensive item to the market when it's not ready for it. This was a LOT of money and it's not something I can just send back. I took a chance and I would say I'm around 65% happy. There are some things I can 'live with' but this was supposed to be a device which was BETTER than the BMW system.

4) Support. I find it utterly shocking and disgraceful that your customers have to rely on kind people of the interwebz (such as Trent, and also Jeff from Dynavin Solutions) instead of getting direct help from you. Your forums are useless, and every single bit of help I've got has been from other people who are also battling. Sure, a collective battle may solve your problems, but at least get involved and offer some input. Your silence whilst we struggle after spending big money is a slap in the face.

5) Don't do a half-job. Make the steering controls work everywhere, not just in some places. Make the Android experience EXCELLENT, not 'barely acceptable'.

That is where I am choosing to end this ridiculously long review. All I hope is that some people get some use out of this as I have done out of the other posts.

I know I may seem slightly negative here, but I guess I'm just trying to fight off buyer's remorse. I WANT to like this unit and I WANT to believe I've made the right choice. I hope that by spending some more time with it I can learn to live with the frustrations and see the extra functionality (like internet in my car, even if it's through a hotspot) as awesome.

I will gladly try to answer questions, but I can't guarantee I'll be much help!
      02-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
jeffb335
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: BMW

good review. Most of the good and bad you point out is accurate.

Make sure you change the "navi sound" setting in the radio menu so that the radio sounds and android sounds dont step on each other.

Food for though, I get the impression that you think this was designed from the ground up as an android device.....it wasnt. Remember that dynaivn has had their conventional stereo/nav (winCE based) units out for years now and those continue to be a popular item. The android units are the SAME UNIT but with modified hardware on the NAV side in order to add all the android stuff. Not perfect of course, and anyone who reads my stuff knows that I dont think they are for everyone, but its a lot of added functionality for a minimal extra cost.

As for support....dynavin has set up dealers whos responsibility it is to take care of customers, some do this better than others. Then dynavin's responsibility is to take care of the dealers. It spreads the workload out. Pretty standard business practice really. But contrary to what you said above I have never worked with a company as responsive to dealer needs as dynaivn. Keep in mind they are not some giant corporation, they are a tiny niche company made up of a handful of people trying to do as much as they can with the resources they have.

Not trying to argue, its just that I know a lot of the behind the scenes stuff, what their goals and priorities are....and I also know how forum culture and perceptions work....and the way things are perceived isnt necessarily how they are.

Or maybe Im wrong...maybe it doesn't matter...maybe in the end perception is reality....

Last edited by jeffb335; 02-15-2012 at 02:45 PM.
      02-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
kevipedia

I tried that. If NAVI sound is off then the sound output from Android is about 1/10th of the volume... rather strange!
      02-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
jeffb335

you will want to set android volume to about 2/3 and use the volume knob to control the system wide (including android) volume.
      02-15-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
kevipedia

Hi Jeff, only saw the second half of your message here. This is obviously based on my experiences and I welcome any correction! The only exposure I've had is via forums, and after finding little of use on Dynavin's site I concluded (perhaps incorrectly) that their support is terrible.

Whilst I am unfamiliar with their size or business model, I don't necessarily agree with support falling at the feet of the reseller. That doesn't make sense to me, especially since there are several people like me who don't have face-to-face access to a reseller.

I understand that the Android units are new, and it's obviously a direction in which they're quite interested. WinCE is terribly outdated! However, as my point said - if you're going to do something, do it properly. There are several niche companies creating niche hardware and they are up to scratch and function correctly.

It is good to hear that they are response to you as a dealer, and I hope this can only mean that future firmware releases will address some of the issues I've been experiencing.

However, for now, I will conclude that I am semi-happy. My major gripes are certainly these:

1) Glare
2) Slow, unreliable hardware (outdated screen, no multi-touch, unreliable wifi)
3) Atrocious and horrible media interface outside of Android

I do hope that we can all work together and create a massive FAQ. Forums are helpful, but they are far too time consuming. I think it's high-time a proper Dynavin FAQ is introduced!

(Oh, and I'm assuming you're the Jeff I mention in my post!)
      02-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #6
kevipedia

Regarding what you've said about Android volume. Am I therefore incorrect stating that the volume controls do nothing to Android? I sincerely hope that I am!

In other words:

1) Set NAVI sound = OFF
2) Set Android volume = 2/3
3) Control Android volume with volume knob (steering control too?)
      02-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #7
jeffb335

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevipedia View Post
Regarding what you've said about Android volume. Am I therefore incorrect stating that the volume controls do nothing to Android? I sincerely hope that I am!

In other words:

1) Set NAVI sound = OFF
2) Set Android volume = 2/3
3) Control Android volume with volume knob (steering control too?)
correct.

I agree that the dynavin does some things well, some things not so well, if you read my reviews, I gave the earlier units a 6/10 and the later ones 7/10, you said you were 65% happy.....so I think we are on the same page

But ive also written a lot about consumer expectations and what devices like the latest android tablets and ipads do to shift consumer's expectations. The automotive electronics industry is WAY behind the handheld industry in things like screen technology (capacitive screens are almost unheard of in autos) and places where tech like this IS making it into the auto, problems are rampant.....for instance, read about the headaches Ford is having with its Sync system and its customers....

I guess what I am saying is that your criticism is valid and criticism like this will determine the direction these things take in the future....but frankly we are talking about a one of a kind device in a product niche that is at its very beginning....

Also there is an FAQ out there, its not E9X specific but it covers the basics.....I cant link to it as it would be against the forum rules for me to do so....

Last edited by jeffb335; 02-15-2012 at 10:30 PM.
      02-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #8
jttaglia

Thanks for taking the time to write that review. Great Job!
      02-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #9
RaihaX
Major General

Drives: 08' 135i

Thanks for the review - that has put me off the dynavin unit for the E8x!
RaihaX is offline   Australia
      02-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #10
Simon.bmw
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E90 323I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb335 View Post
correct.

I agree that the dynavin does some things well, some things not so well, if you read my reviews, I gave the earlier units a 6/10 and the later ones 7/10, you said you were 65% happy.....so I think we are on the same page

But ive also written a lot about consumer expectations and what devices like the latest android tablets and ipads do to shift consumer's expectations. The automotive electronics industry is WAY behind the handheld industry in things like screen technology (capacitive screens are almost unheard of in autos) and places where tech like this IS making it into the auto, problems are rampant.....for instance, read about the headaches Ford is having with its Sync system and its customers....

I guess what I am saying is that your criticism is valid and criticism like this will determine the direction these things in the future....but frankly we are talking about a one of a kind device in a product niche that is at its very beginning....

Also there is an FAQ out there, its not E9X specific but it covers the basics.....I cant link to it as it would be against the rules for me to do so....

Well. nice review.. Jeff. would u mind send me a email.. i want to know when would dynavin release D99 E9XM.. I want it!!!. thank you.
chelsea_simon2007@hotmail.com
      02-17-2012, 04:17 AM   #11
kevipedia

Jeff, I'm wondering if you can help out here - so this 'constant 12V' problem is persisting and it's become more of an issue than I imagined.

My installer just called and said that they have wired it to 'direct' power, but this now means that the unit won't switch off when I turn the car off, and I'm going to have to turn it off every time.

Surely there must be a way to do this? It just doesn't make sense to me!

Any assistance is much appreciated!

Last edited by kevipedia; 02-17-2012 at 06:38 AM.
      02-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #12
jeffb335

wow, you need a new installer, I dont have any idea what they did but I know it wasnt right.......they should not have touched the ignition wire that turns the unit on and off with the key, this is controlled by the canbus interface so I dont know what or why they messed with that.

The ONLY thing that needs to be done is that the yellow wire needs to be connected to a 12v circuit that does not turn off when the car goes to sleep. There are multiple locations in the fuse box that do this. In my own car I got this on the second try by just looking at the fuse chart, choosing a logical circuit to tap (in my case, one of the large engine fuse locations) and testing the fuse box locations with a voltmeter.

Last edited by jeffb335; 02-17-2012 at 11:07 AM.
      02-17-2012, 10:49 AM   #13
kevipedia

Thanks for your reply. I am a little pissed off at the moment - the way it's wired now means I have to turn it off and on whenever I'm in the car. You can imagine this isn't ideal because if I ever forget it I am in trouble.

The problem is that I don't know anything about auto electronics, or electronics for that matter. I have seen the fuses behind the glove-box, but now they're not even running the cable there! I'm not quite sure where it is at the moment.

I am going to now do this on my own - I'm going to find where they've connected that yellow wire and re-run it to the glove-box area.

Once I've done this, can I just plug this in and test as I please? I am obviously very nervous about breaking something. I also don't have a voltmeter, so how do I know if I'm plugging it into the correct one?

Any information, regardless of how 'lame' it may seem will be exceptionally helpful to me.

Thanks again.
      02-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #14
kevipedia

Just to clarify: I don't think my installer touched the ignition at all, but I'm not sure where that yellow wire is going to now.

Am I correct in assuming that this unit CAN act like a stock radio system - it'll turn ON when I press 'START' and turn OFF when my key is taken out.

This unit obviously requires some sort of 'constant' power even when it's not turned on - I'm assuming this is what connecting the yellow wire to the ever-elusive spot will do?
      02-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #15
jeffb335

OK....a quick lesson in car audio. Pull the unit out and look at the wire harness. The dynavin uses standard wire colors that are common in the industry.....but only 2 of those wires concern us right now.

RED: switched ignition, has 12 volts when the car is on, you will see this wire running between the canbus box and the dynavin, this wire turns the dynavin on and off with the key. In the E9X there is no switched wire in the factory plug, instead the command is sent through the canbus, the dynaivn canbus box recieves the "turn on" command and outputs power to the red wire in the harness, turning the unit on.

Yellow: this wire is constant power, it is for retaining memory items like settings, in the E9X there is not constant power wire in the oem harness so you run the wire to the fuse box and tap it into a fuse that has constant power. It is also the main power wire where it gets the power to run everything.

When you get into your dash you will probably find that they for reasons unknown they spliced the red and yellow wires together and ran them somewhere that has constant power. You need to fix this by putting the red wire back where it belongs and if they did in fact find constant power for the yellow wire then leave it.

But something isnt adding up here, either they really dont know what they are doing or connecting it correctly didnt work for some reason....maybe they damaged the canbus box, shorted out the ignition wire coming out of it so they had to hard wire the ignition wire....something like that.....still though they could have used a switched location in the fuse box....

If you are going to try to sort this out you need to go down to a auto parts store and get a cheap Test Light. It is just a "probe" that lights up when there is power on a circuit. That way you can at least see which circuits have power and when.

Last edited by jeffb335; 02-17-2012 at 11:42 AM.
      02-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #16
kevipedia

Aaaah Jeff, you've made things a lot clearer for me - thank you very, very much.

I thought that the yellow wire was actually for ALL power running to the unit. I now understand that it is that lil' wire responsible for retaining the settings!

They did call me when they were installing and say that the steering controls weren't working, then the next call was that they "managed to figure it out." I'm not sure if this is connected to the CANBUS or can be a cause of a problem.

Am I then correct in saying that if I don't connect the yellow wire at all, the unit should still turn on but when it's off NOTHING will be saved immediately?

The installer was kind enough to leave a cable with one of those pins (like on the yellow wire) with me. I'll ask my ol' Dad to lend me a voltmeter so I can see which circuit has power - even better, I'll do this when the car has been off for a few hours.

When I find a suitable (unused) spot, I'll hook the yellow cable into there and if all is correct then I should be good to go.

Once again, thank you ever so much for your help. If I knew you were the main support person I would definitely have supported you.

I will be writing up some more in-depth stuff, and trying to contribute to the Dynavin community to try and make sure simple things like this don't cause any more issues.

Cheers!
      02-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #17
jeffb335

well the yellow wire is the main power wire as well....basically the yellow wire is the main source of power for everything, and the red wire just flips the power switch (actually a relay) inside the dynaivn.

If you have to turn the unit on and off manually they found a constant power source......but for some reason they connected the red switched wire to this source as well.

Really what you need to do first is pull the unit out and try to figure out what they did and why they did it.

you are correct in thinking that in order to find a constant power source in the fuse box you need to turn the car off, and leave the doors open, after about 20 minutes most things will shut down and the car will "go to sleep". Then poke around in the fuse box until you find a circuit that is live....make sure it is a relatively high amp fuse that you are tapping, or even better use an unused slot in the fuse box. Then test, if it still doesnt hold the settings, try again with a different location.

Last edited by jeffb335; 02-17-2012 at 12:26 PM.
      02-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #18
kevipedia

Cheers Jeff. I'm off to the installer first thing tomorrow morning to make sure that we get this sorted out. Cannot thank you enough.
      02-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #19
kevipedia

Just an update if anyone is following this thread:

Once again, Jeff, thank you so much for your guidance. I'm not sure why they don't tell you this in the manual, but I guess the installer should know about it!

There are only maybe 10 Dynavins in the entire SA, and I think I'm the only person here with the D99. Now that it turns on/off with the ignition and SAVES the radio presets I'm enjoying it much more. Sure, it takes a bit of getting used to, but any system will have that learning curve.

I did for a while think the GPS was a bit faulty, but as reported, it just can take a few minutes to lock on to the satellites.

Right now, my biggest gripe is the fact that I cannot get my Huawei 3G modem working off the USB, and the fact that the WiFi is atrociously unreliable. I have to turn WiFi off/on quite a few times as it just freezes and stops transmitting data. It is simply incapable of holding a WiFi connection.

I have run a USB cable into the glove-box for the 'Android' side of things. I'm not sure why they don't tell you to do this, but it's exceptionally handy because you can connect a USB hub and have all sorts going on there. I now have a 32GB USB card sitting in the glove-box for all my music to be played through Android.

The boot-up time is completely acceptable, especially the radio side. Anyone complaining about a 10 second wait is just looking for something to complain about.

Overall, the unit definitely grows on you, and it is CERTAINLY better than the OEM unit!
      02-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #20
Alpine328i
Noob

Drives: Graduated to a 335i

Quote:

Once again, Jeff, thank you so much for your guidance. I'm not sure why they don't tell you this in the manual, but I guess the installer should know about it!

There are only maybe 10 Dynavins in the entire SA, and I think I'm the only person here with the D99. Now that it turns on/off with the ignition and SAVES the radio presets I'm enjoying it much more. Sure, it takes a bit of getting used to, but any system will have that learning curve.

I did for a while think the GPS was a bit faulty, but as reported, it just can take a few minutes to lock on to the satellites.

Right now, my biggest gripe is the fact that I cannot get my Huawei 3G modem working off the USB, and the fact that the WiFi is atrociously unreliable. I have to turn WiFi off/on quite a few times as it just freezes and stops transmitting data. It is simply incapable of holding a WiFi connection.

I have run a USB cable into the glove-box for the 'Android' side of things. I'm not sure why they don't tell you to do this, but it's exceptionally handy because you can connect a USB hub and have all sorts going on there. I now have a 32GB USB card sitting in the glove-box for all my music to be played through Android.

The boot-up time is completely acceptable, especially the radio side. Anyone complaining about a 10 second wait is just looking for something to complain about.

Overall, the unit definitely grows on you, and it is CERTAINLY better than the OEM unit!
Glad to hear it has grown on you. I think Jeff really hit the nail on the head that it takes some patience and acknowledgment of the learning curve. I think many users get frustrated and quit before they give it a real chance.

I think i need to pull the trigger and upgrade to the D99..
Alpine328i is offline   United_States
      02-19-2012, 04:20 PM   #21
krnet2dboi
Captain

Drives: 2008 328i Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine328i
Quote:

Glad to hear it has grown on you. I think Jeff really hit the nail on the head that it takes some patience and acknowledgment of the learning curve. I think many users get frustrated and quit before they give it a real chance.

I think i need to pull the trigger and upgrade to the D99..
Buy mine
      04-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #22
abhi193

Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Thanks Guys for all the information.

I have a BMW 2011 BMW 328i.
It doesnt have Navigation\Bluetooth\Rearview camera. I am looking for a in dash nav unit which can provide all these features.

Will Dynavin D99 E9x Android suit my requirements??
I am completely new to car electronics, so how good is this unit compared to other In dash units??
Is there a better In dash unit for my car other than this??

My car is still under factory warranty.
So i dont want the installation to disturb my factory warranty.
do you have any real pictures of a car after this installation so i can see how it actually looks in the car after installation?