E90Post

E92 Lighting

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > PSS9 vs KWV2

View Poll Results: Which do you get KWV2 or Bilstein PSS9
KWV2 71 53.79%
Bilstein PSS9 61 46.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

06-15-2007, 05:01 AM   #45
cupspeed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

KW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On my old M3, the PSS9 was changed to KW V2. Great decision
      06-18-2007, 02:45 PM   #46
Alex@Creative
Private
Rep
Drives: B7 ABT AS4

i def would go with KW... i did on my personal car PM me if you have questions
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 03:08 PM   #47
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: F80 YMB

IMO there is a lot of subjective conjecture and "buy what I got" in this thread. It would help if we could examine the objective data on the systems. What are the specifics of the spring rates and shock valving. What are the results on the track. Might be asking for too much, but are there no reviews in the auto-rags? Has no one conducted the appropriate tests? It's not that hard to evaluate "ride." The performance characteristics are even more easily quantifiable.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 05:16 PM   #48
tomppa
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 318 D

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
Might be asking for too much, but are there no reviews in the auto-rags? Has no one conducted the appropriate tests? It's not that hard to evaluate "ride." The performance characteristics are even more easily quantifiable.
Next one installing either of the sets takes exact measures on springs so we'll get the spring rate at least...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 05:18 PM   #49
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i

Garage List
07 e90 335  [0.00]
07 335  [0.00]
06 325i  [0.00]
And Your Winnner Is!!!!

K&W
      06-22-2007, 05:33 PM   #50
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Send a message via AIM to SV Concepts III
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwest888 View Post
Uhh that sounds a bit extreme.

This thread is like comparing Pilot Sports to Potenzas. Each one is extremely good and gets the job done. People prefer the one they bought, for no reason other than lack of road time with the other. I haven't read anything objective in this thread. All we've learned is the mode based on what people say they purchased or will purchase.
Well said.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2007, 01:33 AM   #51
sg335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

KW advertises their spring rate. I believe it is 390 front and 675 rear without looking it up.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2007, 01:42 AM   #52
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to ksfrogman
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupspeed View Post
KW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On my old M3, the PSS9 was changed to KW V2. Great decision
Changed by you? If so, why?
      06-28-2007, 07:29 PM   #53
18LLC
Major General
Rep
Drives: e89

I know this thread is about pss9 vs kw v2, what about pss9 vs v3? price is not the issue, which one will you get? i know some of you guys said v3 have too many settings, (the bad way), it's not easy to adjust? thanks.
      06-28-2007, 07:41 PM   #54
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Send a message via AIM to SV Concepts III
It's not that the V3's aren't easy to adjust, quite the contrary actually. It's the fact that for the average enthusiast, the amount of control you get over the suspension adjustment is far too much. You need extensive training and knowledge to properly setup your suspension for optimum balance and neutrality. Increased stiffness can actually be detrimental to a car's handling and given that most people want a better handling vehicle for mainly street and occasional track use, a standard coilover set is plenty. Heck, a standard spring/shock replacement is MORE than adequate.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 08:33 PM   #55
cupspeed
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The V3 is better than the V2 and PSS9 as there are more adjustment settings. It allows fine tuning of the suspension for different uses of tight tracks or high speed tracks. It is very easy to adjust, from the top is the dampening, the bottom is the rebound.

For regular street driving, the V2 is perfect. V3 is has more options to fine tune for the track. Extensive training is a extreme to say when coming to adjust suspension, it is suggested to get it 'finely' tuned would require a professional to set it ALL up with everything else.

Coilovers are the way to go over any spring/shock combo in my opinion as it allows the user to fulfill their individual needs whether it is ride comfort, height preference or handling performance
      06-28-2007, 08:45 PM   #56
18LLC
Major General
Rep
Drives: e89

thx, guys. since my car is xi, v3 is the only one available from kw (as what i hear) so for regular street driving, which one is more reasonable, pss9 or v3? since v2 is not in xi list...(very sad about that...) thanks.
      06-29-2007, 02:10 PM   #57
Ron@Modbargains
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996TT/ae86

Send a message via AIM to Ron@Modbargains
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18LLC View Post
thx, guys. since my car is xi, v3 is the only one available from kw (as what i hear) so for regular street driving, which one is more reasonable, pss9 or v3? since v2 is not in xi list...(very sad about that...) thanks.

The V3 will still be fine for the street driving if not better, its going to add more adjustability as well (Do you need to be a pro to tune it - no).
Since I can't seem to find information on drop heights from Bilstein (maybe someone knows, we'll chime in, any vendors have literature from Bilstein on the heights?), in the past between the PSS9 and the KW's the KW's allowed for a greater drop height, so there is one difference between the two. 18LLC we have some of the xi coilovers coming in very soon, welcome to hit me up for quote, I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 01:26 PM   #58
cupspeed
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Never heard of Bilstein making any XI coilovers...correct me if I am wrong
      07-04-2007, 06:33 PM   #59
Cadillac Johnson
Free taco with stolen base
Rep
Drives: 335i? GTR? RS5?

Both are good coilovers. I'd be willing to bet that VERY few people could tell the difference between the two provided they were setup the same.

This is a bit of an extreme example, but I had the KW V3 ClubSports on my Evo. Price wise, they're about twice the cost of the V2's, but were some of the best coilovers I've ever rode on. The PSS9's are stock on the Evo MR, and I can tell you the V3 ClubSports were much, much better. They were custom valved with custom spring rates however, so how much of a comparison can be drawn is minimal.
Personally I would recommend the V2's and look into custom spring rates, as every suspension guru I've talked with has said that the stock KW spring rates are far from optimal for any car they were marketed towards.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2007, 04:03 AM   #60
Green-Eggs
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

We highly suggest the KW coilovers over Bilstein

Someone should ride in a car with each coilover and provide an unbiased opinion
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 04:41 AM   #61
StylePoints
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@AutoTalent View Post
We highly suggest the KW coilovers over Bilstein

Someone should ride in a car with each coilover and provide an unbiased opinion
>>> You've driven my car with PSS9, and you install V2s all day long so I'm sure your opinion is about as good as it gets. I wish I have had the chance to drive a set of KWs on a 335 before I decided to get PSS9.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 02:29 PM   #62
Green-Eggs
United_States
Rep

My opinion might be biased

Trying to keep things fair
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 02:45 PM   #63
down4it
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I went with PSS9's because the parts looked better (more metal, Less plastic) and i know Bilstein's warranty is very good. KW i have heard some bad things... I love the ride and adjustability...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 02:52 PM   #64
Green-Eggs
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by down4it View Post
I went with PSS9's because the parts looked better (more metal, Less plastic) and i know Bilstein's warranty is very good. KW i have heard some bad things... I love the ride and adjustability...
Umm...KW uses stainless steel shock bodies which protects a lot better against rust plus poor weather conditions and Bilstein uses coated galvanized steel. So you see more metal from KW.

Don't know where your plastic comment comes into play

KW offers lifetime warranty and has a much better turn around time than Bilstein. Both companies offer warranty only to the original customer.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 03:11 PM   #65
down4it
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@AutoTalent View Post
Umm...KW uses stainless steel shock bodies which protects a lot better against rust plus poor weather conditions and Bilstein uses coated galvanized steel. So you see more metal from KW.

Don't know where your plastic comment comes into play

KW offers lifetime warranty and has a much better turn around time than Bilstein. Both companies offer warranty only to the original customer.
To adjust the ride height you turn those 2 rings on the shock, those are made of plastic and hold a spring... On the bilstein they are metal. I have a few friends with KW and when something went wrong it was very hard for them to get help from KW so from their experience i went with PSS9's. I have ridden in a 335 with V2's and i personally like the ride better with the Bilsteins... So did the owner of that 335.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 05:06 PM   #66
Green-Eggs
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by down4it View Post
To adjust the ride height you turn those 2 rings on the shock, those are made of plastic and hold a spring... On the bilstein they are metal. I have a few friends with KW and when something went wrong it was very hard for them to get help from KW so from their experience i went with PSS9's. I have ridden in a 335 with V2's and i personally like the ride better with the Bilsteins... So did the owner of that 335.
Current KW perches are composite over steel. According to recent factory Mercedes Benz AMG testing, they can withstand 4X the load of standard top quality metal perches. For some applications, they use Aluminum perches in the rear.

Also, KW is the only aftermarket suspension company that is approved for OEM use such as the Mercedes Benz AMG Black Series. KW Coilovers produces to the strict standards of OEM quality and durability. Bilstein has not been able to get to this level.

If they were installed correctly which is suppose to be on top then there should not be a problem There are installation instructions available at www.KWsuspensions.com Click all the way through to the specific model car, click the 'i' then you will see a bunch of icons. It provides all the information there.

Let me know if you have any questions Sam@AutoTalent.com

Both KW V2 and Bilstein are adjustable so if they are not set up according to same specifications/personal preference then that is not a fair comparison.
Appreciate 0