E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > restarting car without key in slot, w/o comfort access



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
JonDiesel@ColemanAutobody
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
4
Rep
124
Posts


Drives: 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

restarting car without key in slot, w/o comfort access

I know it IS possible to restart the car without the key in the slot as Long as the car was previously running and a door hasn't been opened ... and I've done this before while going into a convenience store etc to keep heat going, my question is sometimes ill get back in and the shifter will be locked in Park until I reinsert the key. other times it won't be locked. is there some sort of criteria that is met that it activates shift lock? can't figure this one out..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
3me
Lieutenant
3me's Avatar
9
Rep
415
Posts

Drives: 6spd mt 325i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mississippi

iTrader: (0)

I have accomplished the same feat. However, I drive a stick so I can drive around as long as I want without the key fob in. That might be an antitheft mechanism for autos but this is just a guess?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
e90post_user
Second Lieutenant
United_States
5
Rep
263
Posts

Drives: 2014 F22 M235i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NYC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3me View Post
I have accomplished the same feat. However, I drive a stick so I can drive around as long as I want without the key fob in. That might be an antitheft mechanism for autos but this is just a guess?
I think it had changed with LCI.
I have a stick shift 2011 E90 w/o comfort access and cannot start the car without the keyfob in the slot - I haven't tried the 2nd gear roll start yet though.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
3me
Lieutenant
3me's Avatar
9
Rep
415
Posts

Drives: 6spd mt 325i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mississippi

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqaddict View Post
I think it had changed with LCI.
I have a stick shift 2011 E90 w/o comfort access and cannot start the car without the keyfob in the slot - I haven't tried the 2nd gear roll start yet though.
Did you ever tried it in a preLCI? First time I did it was an accident and then I figured it out playing around. Have you tried the steps? I think the op has LCI and he did it.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
asdfjkldsa1
Private
0
Rep
64
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Stick the keyfob in the hole and turn on your car. Then, turn off your car and remove the keyfob. Immediately, depress the brakes and press the start button and your car should start up without a keyfob. I heard this only works within 10 seconds of removing the keyfob and all doors need to remain closed. I tried it before and it works.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
e90post_user
Second Lieutenant
United_States
5
Rep
263
Posts

Drives: 2014 F22 M235i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NYC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfjkldsa1 View Post
Stick the keyfob in the hole and turn on your car. Then, turn off your car and remove the keyfob. Immediately, depress the brakes and press the start button and your car should start up without a keyfob. I heard this only works within 10 seconds of removing the keyfob and all doors need to remain closed. I tried it before and it works.
Will try it when I leave work today see if closed doors make any difference.
I tried it previously with clutch depressed and it won't do it, not sure if the break pedal will do the trick.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
e90post_user
Second Lieutenant
United_States
5
Rep
263
Posts

Drives: 2014 F22 M235i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NYC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3me View Post
Did you ever tried it in a preLCI? First time I did it was an accident and then I figured it out playing around. Have you tried the steps? I think the op has LCI and he did it.
Never had a pleasure owning/driving pre-LCI E90. I saw people reporting the no-keyfob start w/o CA on LCI cars but all of them were automatics.
Didn't work for me with my 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
billiebob
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
211
Posts

Drives: 328i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

It works for my 2011 328 6mt.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 07:37 PM   #9
Szemenyei
First Lieutenant
Szemenyei's Avatar
No_Country
3
Rep
311
Posts

Drives: Jet Black 335xi
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Stamford, CT

iTrader: (1)

I do this all the time with my pre-lci 335xi
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
e90post_user
Second Lieutenant
United_States
5
Rep
263
Posts

Drives: 2014 F22 M235i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NYC

iTrader: (1)

I am doing something wrong it won't do it for me
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #11
1lyfe
Major
1lyfe's Avatar
Canada
44
Rep
1,276
Posts

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (1)

there are 2 ways to start your car without the key fob..prelci or lci
1) turn car on,take foot off breka, turn off car, step on break, push on button
2) put keyfob in the slot but do no press it in, step on breaks, press and hold start button for ~~8 seconds
works for both my pre lci and lci. both auto so i dont know how manual works.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #12
Zebra99
Colonel
Zebra99's Avatar
Canada
40
Rep
2,487
Posts

Drives: 2011 335is E93
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Or, next time just buy a car with comfort access :P
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 10:01 PM   #13
Escarlinrivas
New Member
0
Rep
22
Posts

Drives: 2007 bmw 330xi
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Paterson nj

iTrader: (0)

It works on my 2006 330xi without CA.
Its turn on witouth the remote key, after it was turned off. Niiceee
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #14
3me
Lieutenant
3me's Avatar
9
Rep
415
Posts

Drives: 6spd mt 325i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mississippi

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqaddict View Post
Never had a pleasure owning/driving pre-LCI E90. I saw people reporting the no-keyfob start w/o CA on LCI cars but all of them were automatics.
Didn't work for me with my 6MT
well billiebob pulled it off in his ^^^ ha its kind of intricate, pointless, and probably a glitch or misstep that it can be cranked without the fob unless they have thought of some obscure scenario in which this keyless ignition after key ignition is initiated haha
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 09:00 AM   #15
Eternal
Second Lieutenant
United_States
3
Rep
279
Posts

Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (3)

Can you lock the car after you get out?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #16
saltql
Straight Cash Homie
United_States
0
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: 06 330xi, Trek 2.3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal View Post
Can you lock the car after you get out?
yes
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #17
Eternal
Second Lieutenant
United_States
3
Rep
279
Posts

Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (3)

Awesome, sounds like the cold mornings just got easier, and no worries of it being stolen!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 11:08 AM   #18
JonDiesel@ColemanAutobody
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
4
Rep
124
Posts


Drives: 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

well now I think the rest or the non c/a world is keylessly starting their car lol but may I remind about my other question ... the shift lock on autos, usually doesn't engage. but it has once or twice. time didn't seem to make a difference, doors locked unlocked brake on etc. can't figure it out ahhhhh!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #19
JSTDR1V
Saving Lives Since 2000
JSTDR1V's Avatar
No_Country
56
Rep
2,491
Posts

Drives: 2014 335xi & 2013 X3 28i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Northeast

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2014 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
2013 X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDiesel View Post
I know it IS possible to restart the car without the key in the slot as Long as the car was previously running and a door hasn't been opened ... and I've done this before while going into a convenience store etc to keep heat going, my question is sometimes ill get back in and the shifter will be locked in Park until I reinsert the key. other times it won't be locked. is there some sort of criteria that is met that it activates shift lock? can't figure this one out..

You must stop your car, keep your foot on the brake, remove the key, and then restart the car.

I've never had to reinsert the key to disengage park.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #20
ndog14
Banned
United_States
29
Rep
1,746
Posts

Drives: E90 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lyfe View Post
2) put keyfob in the slot but do no press it in, step on breaks, press and hold start button for ~~8 seconds
Why the hell would you waste time by doing that? I'll just put the damn keyfob in all the way and press the start button and be off.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 03:13 PM   #21
Eternal
Second Lieutenant
United_States
3
Rep
279
Posts

Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndog14 View Post
Why the hell would you waste time by doing that? I'll just put the damn keyfob in all the way and press the start button and be off.
I know the reason I would do it, is to warm the car up in the morning so I am not freezing for a few blocks. Run out, start it up, pull the fob, lock the doors, run inside. Come back in 5 minutes, drive to work nice and warm.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #22
DMafia46
Hates Posers
4
Rep
414
Posts

Drives: E46M3,335xi,Lambo,
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Did you take the key inside with you
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:30 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST