E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Akebono brake pad review

03-19-2014, 12:46 PM   #1
Metblack328i
Private First Class

Drives: 2009 BMW 328i RWD Sedan

Akebono brake pad review

Just wanted to give a quick feedback since I see lot of folks discussing the same topic here.

I installed Akebono ceramic pads on my 328i (both front and rear) along with Zimmermann zinc coated rotor on the front. I reused the existing rear oem rotor since it was fairly clean and no lip. I also did Brake flush (within 200 miles) after the brake pad/rotor replacement.

The first few 100 miles I barely had any feedback at all on the brake pedal. And the pedal travel was longer than normal too. After about 600 miles, it started getting slightly better but still the pedal travel was longer to even feel a slowdown.

I now have 1100 miles on these setup and its getting AMAZING. Some of you may say I just got used to this setup but trust me, that is not the case. Although the initial brake bite is still not the same as OEM, the initial tap on the brake seem to work pretty well again. Its unbelievable it took 1000 miles for these pads and I was starting to worry I made the wrong choice. But now that fear is out. These are definitely good and I like that there is barely any brake dust if any.

I have seen many people say that it took their car almost 1000 miles before the pads were behaving like OEM. So it seems like a common behavior for Akebono pads.
      03-19-2014, 02:16 PM   #2
SSW
I Can't Drive 55

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
Thanks for the review.

I'm planning to do this too but mainly to cut down on the excessive OEM pad brake dust.
      03-20-2014, 11:16 AM   #3
Javy
e92javy

Drives: Alpine White E92 M

Great choice!

I love my Akebono pads. I put them in the front and love them. As soon as the rears are due, I will be going with Akebono as well.
Instagram- (javy_e92) 09 335i coupe / M package / Alpine White / Dinan Stage 2 / Alpina B3 Flash / Alufelgen SF71 / ST coils / Lux H8 / AFE Stage 2 intake / 6700k mtech HID / Performance trunk spoiler / Gloss black roof / CF interior wrap / PE Muffler Mod / ETS Charge pipe / Tial BOV / Cyba Quad Diffuser / Cyba Quad Black Chrome tips / Gloss black grills / AW reflectors / LED turn signals / Remote Key +
Javy is offline   United_States
      03-20-2014, 11:43 AM   #4
TheAxiom
Dyno whore

Drives: E90 6Spd ZSP

The stopping power is weaker than OEM, I wouldn't buy them at all.
      03-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #5
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer

Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
I've had Akebono for 24k miles. I can't speak to stopping power since I don't go out and measure 70-0 stopping distances before and after lol. I've never felt like I've been in danger on the street.

After all this time and mileage, I would say that, over time, you adjust to their behavior: an obvious lack of initial bite, compared to Genuine pads. I would say they require more peddle pressure for panic stopping.

They absolutely dust less than Genuine pads, very noticeable. So there is the much repeated tradeoff: less dust / less initial bite and feel

When they wear out, I'll probably go back to Genuine.
      03-20-2014, 04:11 PM   #6
SSW
I Can't Drive 55

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifxs View Post
I've had Akebono for 24k miles. I can't speak to stopping power since I don't go out and measure 70-0 stopping distances before and after lol. I've never felt like I've been in danger on the street.

After all this time and mileage, I would say that, over time, you adjust to their behavior: an obvious lack of initial bite, compared to Genuine pads. I would say they require more peddle pressure for panic stopping.

They absolutely dust less than Genuine pads, very noticeable. So there is the much repeated tradeoff: less dust / less initial bite and feel.
I think that the OEM pads actually have TOO MUCH bite because, when I apply just a little extra brake pressure, the car already stops much too abruptly for my taste.

So, I'd be fine w/a little "less initial bite and feel" especially since the main reason I want to get the Akebonos is to reduce the amount of brake dust that I have to constantly clean off of my car's wheels.
      03-20-2014, 04:25 PM   #7
GoRomeo
Colonel

Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [2.83]
Me too, I used Akebono for my rears last year. I have had a good experience. I will replace the front ones with Akebono soon.
      03-21-2014, 09:20 AM   #8
Metblack328i
Private First Class

Drives: 2009 BMW 328i RWD Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
The stopping power is weaker than OEM, I wouldn't buy them at all.
I agree that the "grabbing" power is not the same as OEM but somehow that does not make me feel like I am in danger even when I have done few panic stops.

One thing I noticed is that after I did the brake flush, brake pedal had the firmness that OEM pads did. So I would recommend a brake flush soon after the pads replacement. A indy shops here mentioned that when you push the pistons back to put the new pads on, all the old fluid in the calipers is pushed back into the reservoir and can have bubbles due to temperature variations (even though its an enclosed system). He seemed to blame the texas heat as the cause.
Anyway, I dont miss the OEM pads at all. May be there are other good brands as well that may be worth a try (Textar/Stoptech/Jurid/etc).
      03-21-2014, 10:06 AM   #9
Nickanna
Second Lieutenant

Drives: BMW & Audi

100% agree Love the akebonos

The wife's Audi still has OEM pads and I'll be swapping those out soon. Same on her car, too much bite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSW View Post
I think that the OEM pads actually have TOO MUCH bite because, when I apply just a little extra brake pressure, the car already stops much too abruptly for my taste.
      03-28-2014, 07:02 AM   #10
mike335inpa

Drives: 335i

Now 3 months on my 335 and very pleased. Was concerned the first x100 miles with initial bite but has improved. They are now very progressive and stop HARD when you get to a predictable point in the travel - fun.

The lack of brake dust is a revelation ... I'm so used to 20 years of BMW / Audi brake dust that seeing the wheels stay clean for weeks is shocking.

BTW went with R1 concepts slotted rotors. Very good service and rotors look great / work well with the akebonos.
      03-28-2014, 08:00 AM   #11
Dannyboy
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2006 E90

I love them, for me the fact there's no brake dust outweighs the "loss" of initial bite.
Just my 2 cents.
      03-28-2014, 10:50 AM   #12
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag

Drives: 1.9L of fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy View Post
I love them, for me the fact there's no brake dust outweighs the "loss" of initial bite.
Just my 2 cents.
For me, it was the opposite. I just didn't like the decreased stopping power, and figured that having to clean a little more brake dust was better (and cheaper) than the risk of getting into an accident. I ended up with Hawk HPS pads which have noticeably more bite than the akebonos, but still dust a lot less than OEM.
mike-y is offline   United_States
      03-28-2014, 11:25 AM   #13
Dannyboy
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
For me, it was the opposite. I just didn't like the decreased stopping power, and figured that having to clean a little more brake dust was better (and cheaper) than the risk of getting into an accident. I ended up with Hawk HPS pads which have noticeably more bite than the akebonos, but still dust a lot less than OEM.
I never felt decreased stopping power just initial bite. I never feel like I'm in danger!
      03-28-2014, 11:40 AM   #14
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
I never felt decreased stopping power just initial bite. I never feel like I'm in danger!
didn't feel in danger either, but stopping distance could be less, if not unsafe. God forbid I need to make a 70mph stop but should I have to, I will appreciate any additional margin of error.

there are ways to manage the dust : opti-coat the wheels and or use armorall wheel protectant.

It's a matter of preference. I want my brakes to feel like they did when I bought the car....and not feel like most other cars.
      03-28-2014, 12:17 PM   #15
Dannyboy
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifxs View Post
didn't feel in danger either, but stopping distance could be less, if not unsafe. God forbid I need to make a 70mph stop but should I have to, I will appreciate any additional margin of error.

there are ways to manage the dust : opti-coat the wheels and or use armorall wheel protectant.

It's a matter of preference. I want my brakes to feel like they did when I bought the car....and not feel like most other cars.
It's definitely preference.

Like I said I never noticed any loss in stopping power just initial bite. Now I haven't conducted any tests or anything, so I can't say what the difference in 0-75 mph braking is. But I know when I stand on the brakes I stop! Same as with OEM!

As far as the "not feel like most other cars" comment....I drove a friends '14 Toyota Camry that had alot of initial bite....drove me nuts! Maybe he had the BMW brake option?
      03-28-2014, 12:36 PM   #16
rxbaker
Enlisted Member

Drives: '07 335i Sedan MT

Quote:
It's definitely preference.

Like I said I never noticed any loss in stopping power just initial bite. Now I haven't conducted any tests or anything, so I can't say what the difference in 0-75 mph braking is. But I know when I stand on the brakes I stop! Same as with OEM!

As far as the "not feel like most other cars" comment....I drove a friends '14 Toyota Camry that had alot of initial bite....drove me nuts! Maybe he had the BMW brake option?
I agree. After getting used to my brakes whenever I get in an amg, porsche or viper gts I always just about have a heart attack thinking the brakes don't work when I first go to stop because there's so much less "initial bite". But all of those cars stop great when needed (or better) they just aren't as touchy. I prefer it that way because it allows me to modulate the brakes easier. When I get back in my bimmer I have to readjust to the touchy brakes. The SA at the dealership says it's like that because the brakes are so powerful!

There's a difference between the power of brakes and the sensitivity of the brakes. I'm not saying there isn't a difference in stopping power with these pads, but just because they're less sensitive definitely doesn't mean they aren't as powerful. Especially in the case of a panic stop you're usually limited by tire not by braking. If that was the case we wouldn't need ABS!
      03-28-2014, 01:04 PM   #17
cleex024
Major

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

ok so for all those that are on the fence about this because of stopping power then there is no need to worry. i dont get all those that think there is less stopping power with these pads...it makes no sense.

if you have good fluid and no leaks in your brake system which you shouldnt then you can use rocks as your pads and they will stop just as quickly as oem pads. if you press the brakes hard enough no matter what pads you have they will all makes the tires skid.

only difference is that oem pads are made of different material to just have a lot more initial bite and might have less fade...but let me assure you that i have had my ake pads on for last 15k miles with 2 track sessions on them (at least 20 minutes per run) and they didnt fade or have any problems stopping.

with these ake pads all you lose is the initial bite but you gain lineage which i actually prefer. however I am not a pro driver so for those that are professional and use your brakes a lot more on a track these will probably not work, but for those that are mainly using these pads for street then you will probably like these so much more.

with these pads you get a more linear pedal feel with great stopping...just make sure you bed the pads right so you get the performance right away.
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
      03-28-2014, 01:16 PM   #18
Dannyboy
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxbaker View Post
I agree. After getting used to my brakes whenever I get in an amg, porsche or viper gts I always just about have a heart attack thinking the brakes don't work when I first go to stop because there's so much less "initial bite". But all of those cars stop great when needed (or better) they just aren't as touchy. I prefer it that way because it allows me to modulate the brakes easier. When I get back in my bimmer I have to readjust to the touchy brakes. The SA at the dealership says it's like that because the brakes are so powerful!

There's a difference between the power of brakes and the sensitivity of the brakes. I'm not saying there isn't a difference in stopping power with these pads, but just because they're less sensitive definitely doesn't mean they aren't as powerful. Especially in the case of a panic stop you're usually limited by tire not by braking. If that was the case we wouldn't need ABS!
+1
      03-28-2014, 01:17 PM   #19
Dannyboy
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleex024 View Post
ok so for all those that are on the fence about this because of stopping power then there is no need to worry. i dont get all those that think there is less stopping power with these pads...it makes no sense.

if you have good fluid and no leaks in your brake system which you shouldnt then you can use rocks as your pads and they will stop just as quickly as oem pads. if you press the brakes hard enough no matter what pads you have they will all makes the tires skid.

only difference is that oem pads are made of different material to just have a lot more initial bite and might have less fade...but let me assure you that i have had my ake pads on for last 15k miles with 2 track sessions on them (at least 20 minutes per run) and they didnt fade or have any problems stopping.

with these ake pads all you lose is the initial bite but you gain lineage which i actually prefer. however I am not a pro driver so for those that are professional and use your brakes a lot more on a track these will probably not work, but for those that are mainly using these pads for street then you will probably like these so much more.

with these pads you get a more linear pedal feel with great stopping...just make sure you bed the pads right so you get the performance right away.
+1
      03-28-2014, 01:19 PM   #20
catcher22
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

I have the exact same set up and 8,000 miles on em and still going strong. Still have a good 20,000 miles left on em.

EXCELLENT combination. Low noise, low brake dust, little to no fade, and excellent stopping power.
      03-28-2014, 01:25 PM   #21
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag

Drives: 1.9L of fury

Quote:
it was most noticeable for me on cold mornings. I was nearly impossible to lock up the brakes when it a) it was cold outside, and b) the brakes were also cold. I remember one situation where a car pulled out in front of me on my way to work, and I stood on the brake pedal. the car hardly slowed at all, and I almost hit the guy. I did not experience this with the OEM pads. I did not like that at all, which is why I switched to the HPS after a few months.
mike-y is offline   United_States
      03-28-2014, 01:39 PM   #22
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer

Garage List
Quote:
I....I drove a friends '14 Toyota Camry that had alot of initial bite....drove me nuts! Maybe he had the BMW brake option?
Well, you know, a 2014 v6 camry would probably smoke my '07 328i butt in a straight line anyhow, so maybe it should have brakes with good initial bite

if you like the akebonos, enjoy.