E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (ALMS, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > Circuit of the Americas: Track Seating



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-26-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
 
UltimateBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South

Posts: 3,287
iTrader: (0)

Circuit of the Americas: Track Seating

March 1st they will be calling me about seating options. So, I'd like to get a discussion going about seating at Grand Prix in general.

I've haven't had the pleasure to go to a Grand Prix yet. My schedule just never has the time. To anyone who has been, what typically are the best seats to view the race from?

Specifically to the questionnaire that I just filled out for the Austin Track; Obviously they talk up the main grandstand, and I'm strongly considering them. But the description of the Turn one Stands sounds very appealing, as it is the highest point of the track and should let you see pretty much everything with a good pair of binoculars. Especially those flowing 'S' curves.

My main question is, if I were to get a club box seat in the main grand stand (top level) would I be able to see over the pit lane buildings to see the rest of the track?

I welcome all experienced replies!
__________________
UltimateBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
CWS335
First Lieutenant
 
CWS335's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Burbs, USA

Posts: 356
iTrader: (0)

I like a seat at a slow corner. Otherwise, you'll never get a good pic unless you have a professional-grade camera.
CWS335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
 
BrokenVert's Avatar
 
Drives: Topless Electric Boogaloo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fahrvergnügen

Posts: 9,835
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS335 View Post
I like a seat at a slow corner. Otherwise, you'll never get a good pic unless you have a professional-grade camera.
Slow corners also usually provide more views of passing. Think about it, someone out-breaking into a slow corner or getting someone else on the exit.

Much more exciting.
__________________
BrokenVert is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-01-2012, 12:56 AM   #4
raisemyrent
Captain
 
Drives: Estoril Bue 435i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 894
iTrader: (0)

I agree. I've sat by the pits before, and yes you can see the mechanics work etc, but you will watch the race from the screens. only fun will be the start.
Slow corner is good... the more track you can see in the distance, the better.
__________________
435i Coupe
Estoril Blue on Black
X Drive, M Sport Package Stage II, Premium Package
raisemyrent is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-01-2012, 08:43 AM   #5
Brainofjjj
Astronaut
 
Drives: car
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas - Preston Hollow

Posts: 638
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2012 BMW X5d  [0.00]
2003 BMW M3  [0.00]
1970 240Z  [0.00]
I filled out their survey as well after paying for my reserved spot. I've been to several F1 races in Australia, Canada and Monte Carlo and I can tell you first hand that the slowest corner or one coming off a straight is the best. this is obvious from most races. Typically the pit row or front straight seats contain all the people who just want to be seen. the racing doesn't typically take place there unless you count the pits.

I will be buying a PSL on turn 1, no doubt. Just not sure if i want 2 or 4 seats yet. Maybe i should get a whole row for M3 owners only
__________________
Current: SBM X5d, Jet Black E46 M3, Black FJ Cruiser, 1970 240Z
Former: '11 MCB E90 M3, 2011 Lotus Exige, 2003 350Z, 2002 WRX, 1996 Supra turbo, 1984 320i, 1987 E28 M5
Brainofjjj is offline   Bahamas
0
Reply With Quote
      03-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
jcmf75
First Lieutenant
 
jcmf75's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 911S, '12 X5d, '13 Tacoma
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Spring Texas

Posts: 344
iTrader: (3)

Did you ever get a call? I am supposed to be on the list, or at least they took my $100, and I haven't heard a word.
jcmf75 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #7
Limey
EXC MIII
 
Limey's Avatar
 
Drives: on the wrong side
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: 949

Posts: 190
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmf75 View Post
Did you ever get a call? I am supposed to be on the list, or at least they took my $100, and I haven't heard a word.
Me too. Anyone else pay and get no call? Nothing on the website re this. More delays I expect. No surprise if it's cancelled :-(
__________________
2011 E90 M3 ZCP: Harrop Supercharger | Challenge Sport X-Pipe | AE Performance Muffler | Macht Schnell Cold Air Intake | BMW Performance Parts & IND Cosmetics | UUC SSK | Advan AD08R | Project Kicks | Ceramic Pro etc etc
Limey is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #8
Elementary
If you ain't first, you're last!
 
Drives: M Drei
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California

Posts: 112
iTrader: (0)

I'm on the list too, we'll see what happens.
Elementary is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2012, 01:54 AM   #9
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
 
UltimateBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South

Posts: 3,287
iTrader: (0)

I got called. It's definitely in the works.
__________________
UltimateBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
Limey
EXC MIII
 
Limey's Avatar
 
Drives: on the wrong side
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: 949

Posts: 190
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Ok great. Did u have to commit to buying tickets on the spot or did they give u some options/time to decide?
__________________
2011 E90 M3 ZCP: Harrop Supercharger | Challenge Sport X-Pipe | AE Performance Muffler | Macht Schnell Cold Air Intake | BMW Performance Parts & IND Cosmetics | UUC SSK | Advan AD08R | Project Kicks | Ceramic Pro etc etc
Limey is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #11
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
 
UltimateBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South

Posts: 3,287
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey View Post
Ok great. Did u have to commit to buying tickets on the spot or did they give u some options/time to decide?
A few things, no I didn't have to buy on the spot. Though they do ask you to. There is at least over a month of time to figure out what you'd like to do. However, he did say that there are currently 15,000 entrants and that only 2,000 would get the Club Seat PSL. The prices that he mentioned to me is as follows.

1. Club Seating: $5,000 + $1,250 per year. (Total of $23,750 for 15 years)
2. Mezzanine: $3,500 + $1,000 per year. (Total of $18,500 for 15 years)
3. Lower Seating: $2,500 + $775 per year. (Total of $14,125 for 15 years)
4. Side Bleachers: $1,500 + $500 per year. (Total of $9,000 for 15 years)

The per year costs essentially are the season tickets for that year, and currently include 6 events. (3 days of F1, and 3 days of V8 Supercars) There was no mention of MotoGP from him, which I found odd. Also, if you hold a PSL, then you are obligated to buy the season tickets or otherwise sell off your PSL.

Seat options 1-3 are available for all of the Grandstands. Option 4 is only on the main grandstand as I understand it. If you choose option 1, you will only get the VIP lounge and restaurant if you pick the main grandstand. All of the PSL's include parking.

When I asked about General Admission, his response was that you would be able to buy tickets but there wouldn't be any seating left after the PSL. Personally, I think this answer is purely speculative in order to drive sales of PSL's.
__________________
UltimateBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2012, 12:17 AM   #12
signes
Brigadier General
 
signes's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Spinnin at 8k

Posts: 4,176
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
A few things, no I didn't have to buy on the spot. Though they do ask you to. There is at least over a month of time to figure out what you'd like to do. However, he did say that there are currently 15,000 entrants and that only 2,000 would get the Club Seat PSL. The prices that he mentioned to me is as follows.

1. Club Seating: $5,000 + $1,250 per year. (Total of $23,750 for 15 years)
2. Mezzanine: $3,500 + $1,000 per year. (Total of $18,500 for 15 years)
3. Lower Seating: $2,500 + $775 per year. (Total of $14,125 for 15 years)
4. Side Bleachers: $1,500 + $500 per year. (Total of $9,000 for 15 years)

The per year costs essentially are the season tickets for that year, and currently include 6 events. (3 days of F1, and 3 days of V8 Supercars) There was no mention of MotoGP from him, which I found odd. Also, if you hold a PSL, then you are obligated to buy the season tickets or otherwise sell off your PSL.

Seat options 1-3 are available for all of the Grandstands. Option 4 is only on the main grandstand as I understand it. If you choose option 1, you will only get the VIP lounge and restaurant if you pick the main grandstand. All of the PSL's include parking.

When I asked about General Admission, his response was that you would be able to buy tickets but there wouldn't be any seating left after the PSL. Personally, I think this answer is purely speculative in order to drive sales of PSL's.
My understanding is that event tickets have to be bought separately. This would be consistent with other setups like what they are offering.
__________________
08 E90 | Jet Black / Black | 6MT
Mods: RAC RG63 w/ Pirelli Corsa 255F/285R | Akrapovic Evo Exhaust | OEM Blacklines
Winter Setup: OEM 18s w/ Nokian Hakkapeliita R 245/40-18
signes is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #13
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
 
UltimateBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South

Posts: 3,287
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
My understanding is that event tickets have to be bought separately. This would be consistent with other setups like what they are offering.
They may be separate, but you are still obligated to buy them. You can't skip a year. Po-tay-toe/po-tah-toe. (This comes from me asking if I could choose not to buy one year if I had conflicts. The direct answer was 'no'.)
__________________
UltimateBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #14
jcmf75
First Lieutenant
 
jcmf75's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 911S, '12 X5d, '13 Tacoma
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Spring Texas

Posts: 344
iTrader: (3)

That's a bit pricey IMO. Anxious to see what they'll charge on things like StubHub to buy these tickets in the grandstands. Looks like I'll be one of the general entrance types, and save my cash for the races overseas. Seems they're cheaper.
jcmf75 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2012, 11:47 PM   #15
signes
Brigadier General
 
signes's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Spinnin at 8k

Posts: 4,176
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
They may be separate, but you are still obligated to buy them. You can't skip a year. Po-tay-toe/po-tah-toe. (This comes from me asking if I could choose not to buy one year if I had conflicts. The direct answer was 'no'.)
Understand you are obligated to buy them, your post implied that the "per-year" costs represented the the cost of those tickets. They strike me as far too low for those events unless there is some bundled deal (which F1 doesn't do) - did they provide those per-year event ticket costs?
__________________
08 E90 | Jet Black / Black | 6MT
Mods: RAC RG63 w/ Pirelli Corsa 255F/285R | Akrapovic Evo Exhaust | OEM Blacklines
Winter Setup: OEM 18s w/ Nokian Hakkapeliita R 245/40-18
signes is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2012, 01:00 AM   #16
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
 
UltimateBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South

Posts: 3,287
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
Understand you are obligated to buy them, your post implied that the "per-year" costs represented the the cost of those tickets. They strike me as far too low for those events unless there is some bundled deal (which F1 doesn't do) - did they provide those per-year event ticket costs?
It's been a few days now since I talked with them, but I'm still fairly certain that the annual costs are in-fact the season tickets per year. As no other costs were mentioned at all during the conversation. I don't think it would make any sense to make you pay an annual fee just for the right to buy the annual season tickets. That is what the up front PSL charge is for.
__________________
UltimateBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #17
Limey
EXC MIII
 
Limey's Avatar
 
Drives: on the wrong side
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: 949

Posts: 190
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Anyone else get the call yet? I still haven't heard anything. Starting to wonder if I ever will.
__________________
2011 E90 M3 ZCP: Harrop Supercharger | Challenge Sport X-Pipe | AE Performance Muffler | Macht Schnell Cold Air Intake | BMW Performance Parts & IND Cosmetics | UUC SSK | Advan AD08R | Project Kicks | Ceramic Pro etc etc
Limey is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #18
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
 
UltimateBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South

Posts: 3,287
iTrader: (0)

I received a new mailing about it the other day. They may just be working through their list.
__________________
UltimateBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #19
whoosh
Higher than you
 
whoosh's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335iS
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Colorado

Posts: 234
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
They may be separate, but you are still obligated to buy them. You can't skip a year. Po-tay-toe/po-tah-toe. (This comes from me asking if I could choose not to buy one year if I had conflicts. The direct answer was 'no'.)
Not questioning what you were told, but this is a crock. The whole point of PSL is to give the holders first crack at the tickets. The track can sell them on the open market if the PSL holder declines by a certain date. At least this is how it worked at Texas Motor Speedway back in the day when we lived nearby.

For these rates, I'll take my chances with StubHub.
__________________
Current: '12 E91 328i X-drive | '06 Porsche Cayman S | '00 Honda S2000
Notable Previous: '12 E92 335is | '10 STi | '88 E30 325iX
whoosh is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2012, 05:53 PM   #20
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
 
UltimateBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South

Posts: 3,287
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoosh View Post
Not questioning what you were told, but this is a crock. The whole point of PSL is to give the holders first crack at the tickets. The track can sell them on the open market if the PSL holder declines by a certain date. At least this is how it worked at Texas Motor Speedway back in the day when we lived nearby.

For these rates, I'll take my chances with StubHub.
You are not alone. This, coupled with how overall questionable the entire race is. Management switching in and out. Now Hellmund is out and he is suing McCombs over rights to the entire race, stating grounds of a missed opportunity when he was offered a position at the NJ race but declined because he was attached to Austin.

Plus, the lack of infrastructure improvement and everything. It's just messy. And while I like the idea of V8 supercars, I doubt I would go to a race for it. So it's just all a bunch of wasted money.

To be honest, I really just want an opportunity for a track day at the track.
__________________
UltimateBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #21
whoosh
Higher than you
 
whoosh's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335iS
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Colorado

Posts: 234
iTrader: (0)

Yes, the reality of this race actually happening is a big question mark for me as well. My wife revealed to me yesterday that she really wants to see Schumi race, and we figured out that the only sure-fire way to make this happen is to go to Montreal this year.

If you are willing to get your car dirty, you could have a track day ala Coulthard.
__________________
Current: '12 E91 328i X-drive | '06 Porsche Cayman S | '00 Honda S2000
Notable Previous: '12 E92 335is | '10 STi | '88 E30 325iX
whoosh is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #22
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
 
UltimateBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South

Posts: 3,287
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoosh View Post
If you are willing to get your car dirty, you could have a track day ala Coulthard.
__________________
UltimateBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST