E90Post
 


VIBE Motorsports
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > JBD with new K22 firmware chip?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
BillyG335d
DIESEL POWER
BillyG335d's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
88
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Delaware

iTrader: (0)

JBD with new K22 firmware chip?

What date was the new firm K22 chip available? Are guys still having problems with the new JBD with firmware update @ 100%? I heard the chip is available at BMS for $7 if you have the old version JBD? Anyone install the new chip? I would like to see a photo of the chip and how it is installed.

Last edited by BillyG335d; 02-29-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
cssnms
Brigadier General
cssnms's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
3,180
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Murland

iTrader: (4)

Hey Billy, it was sometime last year before Bimmerfest East that BMS came out with the new version of the JBD. Yes, it still triggers limp mode for some when set at 100% - like me. If you buy new from N54Tuning you will get the latest version.

Truthfully I don't know that there is much of a difference. When BMS came out with the "new" version inital talk was it was suppose to eliminate the problematic SES light when turned up - not true.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
scott135i
Lieutenant Colonel
scott135i's Avatar
United_States
90
Rep
1,815
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 BMW 550xi
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC Metro

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
Hey Billy, it was sometime last year before Bimmerfest East that BMS came out with the new version of the JBD. Yes, it still triggers limp mode for some when set at 100% - like me. If you buy new from N54Tuning you will get the latest version.

Truthfully I don't know that there is much of a difference. When BMS came out with the "new" version inital talk was it was suppose to eliminate the problematic SES light when turned up - not true.
+1.

I have mine set at 95% with the new updated chip.

What I have noticed...

I basically only generate a SES light/limp mode if I start in 2nd gear from a stop or low speed and apply 85%+ throttle... but get this... it only happens when the car has been recently started (regardless of a hot start or cold start). If I have been driving for 10 min+, no matter how hard I try, I cannot induce the SES light.

FWIW - not that I should be flooring it until the car is warmed up... because I don't do this often, but an interested observation nonetheless.

Anyone else care to test this?
__________________
2013 BMW 550xi Sedan (AW/Black): Current
2011 BMW 335d Sedan (Blue Water/Black) : Retired
2008 BMW 135i Coupe (BSM/Red) & (White/Black) Retired
2007 BMW Z4 M (White/Red): Retired
2003 & 2006 Cadillac CTS : Retired
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
cssnms
Brigadier General
cssnms's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
3,180
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Murland

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott135i View Post
+1.

I have mine set at 95% with the new updated chip.

What I have noticed...

I basically only generate a SES light/limp mode if I start in 2nd gear from a stop or low speed and apply 85%+ throttle... but get this... it only happens when the car has been recently started (regardless of a hot start or cold start). If I have been driving for 10 min+, no matter how hard I try, I cannot induce the SES light.

FWIW - not that I should be flooring it until the car is warmed up... because I don't do this often, but an interested observation nonetheless.

Anyone else care to test this?
I had similar experiences during acceleration runs after recent start-ups. HOWEVER, my car did go into limp mode last summer after 1.5 hr drive home when I was having some fun - jbd set at 100%. It was the first time it happened which naturally had me concerned. Limp mode reset after I shut the car off and restarted.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #5
Sabersix
New Member
0
Rep
20
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sunny San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyG335d View Post
What date was the new firm K22 chip available? Are guys still having problems with the new JBD with firmware update @ 100%? I heard the chip is available at BMS for $7 if you have the old version JBD? Anyone install the new chip? I would like to see a photo of the chip and how it is installed.
I just upgraded my second hand JBD. Cost me $20 including shipping. Terry at Burger Motorsports was very helpful and responsive to email.

The new chip has the number 18F23K22, if you see 18F2431 that is the older one.

Replacement was straight forward. I used a jewelers screw driver to carefully pry the old chip out of the socket and then aligned the new chip and pushed it into place. There is a small indentation on one end of the chip to indicate which way to put it in the socket.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST