E90Post
 


GTB Performance
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Meth kit in the works for the 335d



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-23-2013, 08:37 AM   #199
Puerto Rican 335d
Colonel
 
Puerto Rican 335d's Avatar
 
Drives: Montego Blue 335d
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Puerto Rico

Posts: 2,397
iTrader: (0)

wow Tiago
__________________
RENNtech Flash/WAGNER IC
VMR710 19"/Execuhitch Hitch/Koni FSD
Soft Ride Bike Rack
Amsoil Cetane Boost Diesel Fuel Additive
Amsoil Diesel Fuel Additive Concentrate
Puerto Rican 335d is offline   Puerto Rico
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2014, 08:29 PM   #200
FormerRotor
Major
 
FormerRotor's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MD

Posts: 1,456
iTrader: (4)

On the bright side, Having everything sitting around for a few months gives plenty of time to prepare for a clean install.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  46.1 KB

Last edited by FormerRotor; 01-06-2014 at 10:26 PM.
FormerRotor is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2014, 07:46 AM   #201
Puerto Rican 335d
Colonel
 
Puerto Rican 335d's Avatar
 
Drives: Montego Blue 335d
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Puerto Rico

Posts: 2,397
iTrader: (0)

mike what is that
__________________
RENNtech Flash/WAGNER IC
VMR710 19"/Execuhitch Hitch/Koni FSD
Soft Ride Bike Rack
Amsoil Cetane Boost Diesel Fuel Additive
Amsoil Diesel Fuel Additive Concentrate
Puerto Rican 335d is offline   Puerto Rico
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2014, 12:46 PM   #202
Tiago
Private First Class
 
Tiago's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 / E61 35d
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

Posts: 119
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
mike what is that
It is the meth controller from snow performance kit.

__________________
Tiago is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #203
Puerto Rican 335d
Colonel
 
Puerto Rican 335d's Avatar
 
Drives: Montego Blue 335d
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Puerto Rico

Posts: 2,397
iTrader: (0)

ok
__________________
RENNtech Flash/WAGNER IC
VMR710 19"/Execuhitch Hitch/Koni FSD
Soft Ride Bike Rack
Amsoil Cetane Boost Diesel Fuel Additive
Amsoil Diesel Fuel Additive Concentrate
Puerto Rican 335d is offline   Puerto Rico
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2014, 08:35 PM   #204
FormerRotor
Major
 
FormerRotor's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MD

Posts: 1,456
iTrader: (4)

So I finished up the install (mostly) and am working on finding the right settings.

What are those of you with meth running as far as nozzles and injection parameters?

I seem to have an almost sweet spot with a 225ml/min nozzle ramping up slowly from 13 to 27psi, then a 500ml/min nozzle kicks in in tandem at 23psi. (49/51 mixture). It's not perfect yet, but I'll get it dialed in. (Note: nozzles corrected for psi of pump)

I was getting some combustion quench in the 13-16psi range from the 225 nozzle when it was ramping up from 10-20 or even 11-24.

I am running this with JBD, but hope to switch that out for another tune later this year once I'm comfortable with what's out there.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.
__________________

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
FormerRotor is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2014, 09:07 AM   #205
TDIwyse
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MidWest

Posts: 895
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor View Post
So I finished up the install (mostly) and am working on finding the right settings.

What are those of you with meth running as far as nozzles and injection parameters?

I seem to have an almost sweet spot with a 225ml/min nozzle ramping up slowly from 13 to 27psi, then a 500ml/min nozzle kicks in in tandem at 23psi. (49/51 mixture). It's not perfect yet, but I'll get it dialed in. (Note: nozzles corrected for psi of pump)

I was getting some combustion quench in the 13-16psi range from the 225 nozzle when it was ramping up from 10-20 or even 11-24.

I am running this with JBD, but hope to switch that out for another tune later this year once I'm comfortable with what's out there.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Nice!

That seems similar to what I've been running the last couple years. Although I've got mine setup to ramp up with rpm's and boost, because I was also getting some quench if too much was sprayed at low rpm's and mid boost levels.



I noticed Hotrod said he was using 1200 cc/min at 100% methanol for his record 1/4 mile run. That's a lot! Not sure I want to go that high... But I have things setup so I can add another nozzle if/when I experiment to go higher.
TDIwyse is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2014, 10:10 AM   #206
JDG
Private First Class
 
JDG's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335d
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Alabama

Posts: 140
iTrader: (0)

How did you guys running meth install the bungs? I'm looking at doing this maybe next year and want to start planning it.
JDG is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2014, 10:25 AM   #207
TDIwyse
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MidWest

Posts: 895
iTrader: (0)

I drilled and taped the intake pipe before the post intercooler Air Temp sensor. The methanol/water dramatically lowers the charge temp. Placing it before the sensor allows the DDE to see the reduced IAT's and change injection timing take advantage of the lower IAT's.
TDIwyse is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2014, 02:29 PM   #208
FormerRotor
Major
 
FormerRotor's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MD

Posts: 1,456
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
I drilled and taped the intake pipe before the post intercooler Air Temp sensor. The methanol/water dramatically lowers the charge temp. Placing it before the sensor allows the DDE to see the reduced IAT's and change injection timing take advantage of the lower IAT's.
Ditto. I'll post some pics when not mobile. Anyone planning the install should note the above.
For now...
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  96.5 KB


I think I'm going to downsize the small nozzle so that I can run it from lower (10ish) psi up to 100% at 20-22. Also, will move one of the taps (new pipe) because it is sitting too close to some lines (and likely shift them down further ipstream from e temp sensor a bit)

I'm glad to have it all hooked up & tested. Now it's time to tweak & beautify (or--more accurately-- de-ugly

Last edited by FormerRotor; 02-02-2014 at 06:23 PM.
FormerRotor is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #209
335iPSI
PSI
 
Drives: 2011 AW 335D
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: FL

Posts: 308
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to 335iPSI
Looking good guys. Has anyone out there dyno'ed before/after with meth? Clearly with hotrods run of 12.3 --- he's pumping out some serious HP/TQ.

In my head the following would be sweet:

*Reflash with raised boost
*Remove DPF/EGR
*Downpipe
*Methanol

Anyone with this extreme of a combo in the US yet?
__________________
2011 335d, M-sport, Alpine White, Nav
335iPSI is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #210
TDIwyse
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MidWest

Posts: 895
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iPSI View Post
Looking good guys. Has anyone out there dyno'ed before/after with meth? Clearly with hotrods run of 12.3 --- he's pumping out some serious HP/TQ.

In my head the following would be sweet:

*Reflash with raised boost
*Remove DPF/EGR
*Downpipe
*Methanol

Anyone with this extreme of a combo in the US yet?
Yes, yes, partial (DPF section gone, DOC section still in place), and yes.

I've got some info on an Evolve remap with and without some custom stuff which includes 50/50 H2O/methanol at ~650ml/min max level (so Hotrod was squirting ~4X the methanol in his runs). Also has the charge air temp data and EGT's with the runs. It was on a stingy Superflow dyno with their largest rollers so big dually pickups can be strapped on it...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...24&postcount=1

With the pre DPF/Ecotune mods using Evolve and stock IC/DPF this everyday methanol/custom/Evolve setup, along with some slicks, I've done 12.65 secs and trap speeds of 110.18 in the quarter mile with less than ideal winds/DA's. The Ecotune/DPF mods have freed up about about 20hp more according to my rough measurements using my in car measurement devices.
TDIwyse is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2014, 01:12 PM   #211
335iPSI
PSI
 
Drives: 2011 AW 335D
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: FL

Posts: 308
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to 335iPSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
Yes, yes, partial (DPF section gone, DOC section still in place), and yes.

I've got some info on an Evolve remap with and without some custom stuff which includes 50/50 H2O/methanol at ~650ml/min max level (so Hotrod was squirting ~4X the methanol in his runs). Also has the charge air temp data and EGT's with the runs. It was on a stingy Superflow dyno with their largest rollers so big dually pickups can be strapped on it...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...24&postcount=1

With the pre DPF/Ecotune mods using Evolve and stock IC/DPF this everyday methanol/custom/Evolve setup, along with some slicks, I've done 12.65 secs and trap speeds of 110.18 in the quarter mile with less than ideal winds/DA's. The Ecotune/DPF mods have freed up about about 20hp more according to my rough measurements using my in car measurement devices.
TDI - great info there and love the data capture. I'll be hopping into a 335d here soon and will also start the modding. Looking forward to what this thing can do.

My car will be a commuter, track toy and maybe yank around a small utility trailer for projects around the house. Gotta use these things!
__________________
2011 335d, M-sport, Alpine White, Nav
335iPSI is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2014, 02:05 PM   #212
Wrecker335d
Wondering what to do..
 
Wrecker335d's Avatar
 
Drives: like a cock
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Quantico or Long Island

Posts: 514
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor
So I finished up the install (mostly) and am working on finding the right settings.

What are those of you with meth running as far as nozzles and injection parameters?

I seem to have an almost sweet spot with a 225ml/min nozzle ramping up slowly from 13 to 27psi, then a 500ml/min nozzle kicks in in tandem at 23psi. (49/51 mixture). It's not perfect yet, but I'll get it dialed in. (Note: nozzles corrected for psi of pump)

I was getting some combustion quench in the 13-16psi range from the 225 nozzle when it was ramping up from 10-20 or even 11-24.

I am running this with JBD, but hope to switch that out for another tune later this year once I'm comfortable with what's out there.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Was it easy to set the meth injection parameters? I was thinking of getting a meth kit just to inject past 3200rpm and 20psi of boost.
__________________
Mods: JBD, 35% tint, Wagner Intercooler, Bilstien B12 Kit, M3 Control Arms

OEF Veteran
Wrecker335d is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2014, 08:02 PM   #213
FormerRotor
Major
 
FormerRotor's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MD

Posts: 1,456
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkUSMC View Post
Was it easy to set the meth injection parameters? I was thinking of getting a meth kit just to inject past 3200rpm and 20psi of boost.
Yessir, but I'm controlling only based on boost; haven't checked to see if I can tie in an additionalpoint for rpm on this controller.(don't think so).
__________________

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
FormerRotor is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2014, 08:22 PM   #214
2deerwhistlers
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335d
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Albany NY

Posts: 211
iTrader: (0)

I've got one of those stage 3 snow kits on a truck of mine .. The only options on mine are; low medium and high with adjustable gain .. With washer fluid on one of my trucks I consistently ran 88 psi of boost at 1250 egt while pulling past 100 mph ....without water on same set up I would run 80 psi of boost at around 1450 egt in the same situation
2deerwhistlers is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2014, 09:06 PM   #215
TDIwyse
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MidWest

Posts: 895
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2deerwhistlers View Post
I've got one of those stage 3 snow kits on a truck of mine .. The only options on mine are; low medium and high with adjustable gain .. With washer fluid on one of my trucks I consistently ran 88 psi of boost at 1250 egt while pulling past 100 mph ....without water on same set up I would run 80 psi of boost at around 1450 egt in the same situation
88 psi of boost! Wow. Please let me know the details on that setup. Please...
TDIwyse is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2014, 09:09 PM   #216
JDG
Private First Class
 
JDG's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335d
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Alabama

Posts: 140
iTrader: (0)

Arent there some dodge guys running higher than that? I was happy to touch 30 psi in my F250....
JDG is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2014, 09:37 PM   #217
TDIwyse
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MidWest

Posts: 895
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDG View Post
Arent there some dodge guys running higher than that? I was happy to touch 30 psi in my F250....
I've got an early common rail Cummins in my Ram, but haven't modified it much beyond the stock levels so far. The diesel shop I've dyno'd at and worked with on my exhaust specializes in the domestic trucks. In his work area he's got turbo's with housings big enough that I could fit most of my leg through. He's always got trucks with engines pulled and being rebuilt and modified to crazy high hp/boost levels. I kinda like going there just to see some of the crazy stuff that's being done.
TDIwyse is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2014, 06:18 AM   #218
2deerwhistlers
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335d
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Albany NY

Posts: 211
iTrader: (0)

It's a p-pumped 24v engine with 14 mm studs in the head and mains, 6x.018" injectors, scheid laser cut delivery valves, 4,000 rpm governor springs, scheid street cam, by eye afc work, and a s366 over an s480.. Or s357 over s480... I've played with a few combos and I've got a bigger 13mm injection pump I built which I ran once and got worried it smoked too much for the street.. Gonna mess with that again soon... My other observation with water/meth on this set up is that it works well when under fueled.. That setup above leans out a bunch in the high rpm and there's no smoke... You add the water meth and it's a little more fuel
2deerwhistlers is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2014, 08:05 AM   #219
TDIwyse
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MidWest

Posts: 895
iTrader: (0)

Love it.
TDIwyse is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2014, 09:11 AM   #220
2deerwhistlers
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335d
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Albany NY

Posts: 211
iTrader: (0)

So I have heard lots of guys say water/meth does nothing for more power, it only lowers egts.. What I've found is that those guys are already running really rich air/fuel mixtures and the extra power from water/meth is to be had while running lean.. And remember guys our 335ds run lean so that's probably why they respond so well to water/meth ..and it's perfectly safe for a diesel to run lean because they run cooler like that... Which is opposite of a gas powered engine which runs hot when it's lean..
2deerwhistlers is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST