E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Name that Tune

05-28-2017, 12:38 AM   #1
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 335i

Name that Tune

Guesses as to the cause of this noise?

ONLY comes from front left wheel area and is related to wheel speed. Sound is heard approximately once every rotation regardless of speed or whether or not the brake pedal is pressed.

Tie rod is blown/broken but not rubbing anything. Spray water on that wheel makes the noise go away for a bit.

Instincts tell me its the wheel bearing... your thoughts?

www.BananaClipper.com
BoostHaus | Wedge | /story
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 04:11 AM   #2
juld0zer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 135i 7DCT

Where do you spray the water to hush it?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 12:28 PM   #3
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
Where do you spray the water to hush it?
I just take the hose from my yard and spray the entire wheel well down so I couldnt tell you a specific part.

www.BananaClipper.com
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 02:18 PM   #4
feuer
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Inspect the brake dust shield and make sure isn't rubbing on the rotor.
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2017, 02:43 PM   #5
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Inspect the brake dust shield and make sure isn't rubbing on the rotor.
Thanks dude, just gave that a try and same thing unfortunately.

Not sure if this helps but on my way back from Sonoma raceway, probably a few days before I started noticing this sound, I ran over a plastic grocery bag and didnt see it come out the back...possibly it got caught up in the bearing some how?

I already ordered the hubs for the front, Im sure it couldnt hurt to replace them at 80k miles, hopefully that will fix the noise. I know its not the traditional 'whining' of a bad bearing but it only happens with the weight of the car on the wheel and not when I jack the car up off the ground.

Still open to any other guesses/opinions if you have them.

Thanks again everyone for your help so far.

www.BananaClipper.com
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2017, 11:50 AM   #6
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep

Brining this one back. The sound is still there after replacing the wheel hubs. The only other parts I know for sure are worn are the end links, which are coming today I believe, but other than that no other worn parts that Im aware of. However, the sound is much more distinguishable now that the hubs were replaced. I can tell now that it is a rubber squishing sound that happens once every rotation but ONLY when the car is on the ground.... cant think of any part, besides the end links, that has rubber and is effected by load some how.

Does anyone think its possible the end link is making this noise even though its EXACTLY once per tire rotation? Any other parts you can think of that are rubber and move with the rotation of the tire? I was thinking the steering rack boot but I dont believe that rotates since its connected to the knuckle

www.BananaClipper.com
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 12:02 PM   #7
bbnks2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Clipper View Post
Brining this one back. The sound is still there after replacing the wheel hubs. The only other parts I know for sure are worn are the end links, which are coming today I believe, but other than that no other worn parts that Im aware of. However, the sound is much more distinguishable now that the hubs were replaced. I can tell now that it is a rubber squishing sound that happens once every rotation but ONLY when the car is on the ground.... cant think of any part, besides the end links, that has rubber and is effected by load some how.

Does anyone think its possible the end link is making this noise even though its EXACTLY once per tire rotation? Any other parts you can think of that are rubber and move with the rotation of the tire? I was thinking the steering rack boot but I dont believe that rotates since its connected to the knuckle
Do you have rubber marks on your springs/spring perch?

Basically, is your tire rubbing on the strut/spring? Might need a spacer or to raise the spring perch up a bit...
135i: VRSF DP, Stage 2+, Kerscher +15mm fenders, Kosei K8R 255/40/17 RS3, M3 control arms, UUC trans mounts, DV+, Whiteline RSFB, 5" intercooler, Charge Pipe, Deka ETX30L, UUC SSK, H&R FSB (deleted), YCW Coilovers 6k/16k, Monroe shock mounts, Diff lockdown, Catch Can, N20 TMAP, 335is clutch, SMFW, 034 engine mounts
Appreciate 2
      06-16-2017, 12:05 PM   #8
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Do you have rubber marks on your springs/spring perch?

Basically, is your tire rubbing on the strut/spring? Might need a spacer or to raise the spring perch up a bit...
No marks but i am about a credit card gap away from the perch and that would make sense. Already running a 5mm spacer. Shorter springs should be arriving soon too.

That makes sense, we'll see if the shorter springs help... pray to god thats all it is.

www.BananaClipper.com
Appreciate 0