E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > VANOS Control with the Xede



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-08-2007, 07:51 AM   #23
judec
born to be turbocharged
 
judec's Avatar
 
Drives: Not a bimmer yet
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Slovakia

Posts: 1,347
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to judec Send a message via Skype™ to judec
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverState View Post
If you get it wrong, do you bend all (or a lot of) the valves?

Well, U should not. U can only adjust the valve timing moderately, so in case of a wrong setup U lose some power and release some unwanted fire and smoke, making your O2 sensors and ECU crazy, but otherwise nuthing else should happen. VANOS cant make the camshafts go out of sync... IMHO. If U screw this up, dont even try to sue me
judec is offline   Slovakia
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2007, 11:06 AM   #24
judec
born to be turbocharged
 
judec's Avatar
 
Drives: Not a bimmer yet
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Slovakia

Posts: 1,347
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to judec Send a message via Skype™ to judec
Well, U can ask him. But my experience is, ppls like this are not really eager to share their knowledge... at least not 4 free... or not sober.
I made a small research of this topic a few years ago when I found some camshaft adjusters for my engine and wondered what are they good for - well, maybe it could do s/t in experienced hands and it would be definitely worth a few new wires to Precede (or ******, whatever)
judec is offline   Slovakia
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2007, 11:18 AM   #25
Terry335
Banned
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Socal

Posts: 2,587
iTrader: (0)

Not knowing much about the system, it seems it should already run the max intake and exhaust duration at higher RPM by default. Why wouldn't it? Maybe there is just a midrange RPM benefit?

If you have an exhaust it's easy to hear the exhaust valve control in action. When you first start your car it will pretty loud, then quiet down after 45 seconds or so. It's leaving the exhaust side open longer to heat the cats up.
Terry335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2007, 11:31 AM   #26
Terry335
Banned
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Socal

Posts: 2,587
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOK11atXEDE
And that is exactly why it's difficult to compare these things, the "last I checked" comment is not helpful to people because, at any given point, (say right now), I can't know what all the PROcede functions are and you can't know what the XEDE functions are.

I'll translate this for you:

Originally Posted by LOK11atXEDE
The 335i XEDE has at any one time - 2 potential Crank/VANOS In/Out Channels, 3 Analogue In/Out Channels, 1 Frequency In and 2 Additional High Current Drive outputs for Wastegate (Boost) Control or Methanol injection etc.

In the manner that you want to describe them (Digital Inputs etc.)
The 335 XEDE has 3 digital in and 5 digital out
and another 3 analogue in and 3 analogue out
and a switch circuit for dual map switching
and a power control pin so that the unit is not left powered 24/7
Found this older post.

I assume Lok is familar with the xede.

So on the analog signals we have o2 bank a, o2 bank b, and map. On digital channel 1 we have crank position. That leaves 1 digital channel for VANOS or speed limiter.

Sounds like RDSport took the speed limiter route with that channel. Maybe exhaust vanos control would be a better option? Shrug.
Terry335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2007, 12:21 PM   #27
e.n335
Moderator
 
e.n335's Avatar
 
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Switzerland, ZH

Posts: 4,480
iTrader: (0)

Vanos on BMW's exists for a relatively long time. However, only one of the reputable German BMW tuners does it as a hypofunction of their ECU flashes. So it must be a complex comprehensive software tuning parameter. If somebody incorporates vanos control successful in a tuning concept, it's a great achievement. Nothing trivial. Terry: Nice to see your other face from time to time.
__________________
Not more than 500 chp for my daily driver. Well, ... .
e.n335 is offline   Austria
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2007, 12:27 PM   #28
RiXst3r
 
RiXst3r's Avatar
 
Drives: www.p3cars.com
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ohio

Posts: 6,459
iTrader: (14)

Send a message via AIM to RiXst3r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry335 View Post
Found this older post.

I assume Lok is familar with the xede.

So on the analog signals we have o2 bank a, o2 bank b, and map. On digital channel 1 we have crank position. That leaves 1 digital channel for VANOS or speed limiter.

Sounds like RDSport took the speed limiter route with that channel. Maybe exhaust vanos control would be a better option? Shrug.
The PROcede v2 uses 4 digital I/O's... so probably 1 for crank, 2 for VANOS, and 1 for speed.

It also means you probably need at least 6 more wires in your PROcede harness to upgrade to the full v2.

I dont see how the XEDE could keep up, without new hardware, you just dont have enough I/O's

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Any one of the digital inputs can trigger the mapswitch. The only things, with v2, we are using ALL of the 4 digital inputs and 4 outputs. This means that we are making firmware changes to make an analog input do the map switch. If you guys can wait a bit, we'll have it all sorted out soon

Shiv
RiXst3r is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2007, 12:29 PM   #29
Terry335
Banned
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Socal

Posts: 2,587
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
The PROcede v2 uses 4 digital I/O's... so probably 1 for crank, 2 for VANOS, and 1 for speed.

It also means you probably need at least 6 more wires in your PROcede harness to upgrade to the full v2.

I dont see how the XEDE could keep up, without new hardware, you just dont have enough I/O's
Stop it, Shiv would never lie:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...85&postcount=2
Terry335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2007, 12:40 PM   #30
e.n335
Moderator
 
e.n335's Avatar
 
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Switzerland, ZH

Posts: 4,480
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry335 View Post
The more hardware update ( in this case ), the better . Shiv only skipped one PROcede evolution step .

Take it easy, some of us are happy with resistors, others with wires.

I am really interested in what AA and RD-Sport will come up with. The ****** is out of scope thus it has the best hp/price ratio and wins anyway .
__________________
Not more than 500 chp for my daily driver. Well, ... .
e.n335 is offline   Austria
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2007, 12:56 PM   #31
lawdude
Colonel
 
lawdude's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Georgia

Posts: 2,259
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry335 View Post
Nope, don't see a lie. I see a statement made in April that was no doubt made with all sincerity . Competition compelled Shiv to up the ante.
lawdude is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2007, 01:01 PM   #32
RiXst3r
 
RiXst3r's Avatar
 
Drives: www.p3cars.com
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ohio

Posts: 6,459
iTrader: (14)

Send a message via AIM to RiXst3r
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdude View Post
Nope, don't see a lie. I see a statement made in April that was no doubt made with all sincerity . Competition compelled Shiv to up the ante.

Well... These were also from april... not that I care... just trying to be fair to everyone... (the mention of speed sensor input = new wires) Seriosuly though... does it really matter? its a friggen wire...


Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
The speed sensor input will be a part of the v2 software update we are working on right now. With it, we will incorporate launch control, torque management, and a whole slew of safety/driveability features. It can also be used to bump up (or eliminate) the speed limiter. It's been tested in the 12Hr Bathurst race cars on the track. Will start testing it in our street car next week. Just give us a bit more time

Shiv
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Of course. The PROcede is fully upgradeable through its user software. Takes 10 seconds to update a map. And maybe 30 seconds to update firmware (for new features/functions as they come out). The process is the same

-shiv
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Release date is pushed back a couple of weeks due to the need to encryption to the software and mapfile. As for features, v2.0 may not be exactly what you are describing. Still 3-4 weeks out for release, by my esimates. And yes, it will be a fully software update. No added hardware necessary.

shiv
RiXst3r is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2007, 01:04 PM   #33
lawdude
Colonel
 
lawdude's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Georgia

Posts: 2,259
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
Well... These were also from april...
I must be denser than usual (I am at the beach and in a quasi-vegetative state. ). What's your point?
lawdude is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2007, 01:08 PM   #34
RiXst3r
 
RiXst3r's Avatar
 
Drives: www.p3cars.com
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ohio

Posts: 6,459
iTrader: (14)

Send a message via AIM to RiXst3r
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdude View Post
I must be denser than usual (I am at the beach and in a quasi-vegetative state. ). What's your point?
You said he didnt know what was going to be in V2 in april, therefor it was not a lie... but he specifically stated v2 features before that point... and did know that it would require more wires/inputs/outputs, etc.. which is what terry said he lied about... dont worry about it, I am just playing terry's games...
RiXst3r is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2007, 01:09 PM   #35
e.n335
Moderator
 
e.n335's Avatar
 
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Switzerland, ZH

Posts: 4,480
iTrader: (0)

Just buy a PROcede ( if it will be sold to you ) and be happy as we are ...
__________________
Not more than 500 chp for my daily driver. Well, ... .
e.n335 is offline   Austria
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2007, 01:12 PM   #36
RiXst3r
 
RiXst3r's Avatar
 
Drives: www.p3cars.com
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ohio

Posts: 6,459
iTrader: (14)

Send a message via AIM to RiXst3r
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugen.niederreiter View Post
Just buy a PROcede ( if it will be sold to you ) and be happy as we are ...
as stated many many many times by me now... I have always planned to buy a PROcede... I have been waiting until the basic feature set is not in a "here is what is coming soon" state... I will buy v2.
RiXst3r is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2007, 01:14 PM   #37
Terry335
Banned
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Socal

Posts: 2,587
iTrader: (0)

I'm still waiting for an ECU tune myself.
Terry335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2007, 01:15 PM   #38
lawdude
Colonel
 
lawdude's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Georgia

Posts: 2,259
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
You said he didnt know what was going to be in V2 in april, therefor it was not a lie... but he specifically stated v2 features before that point... and did know that it would require more wires/inputs/outputs, etc.. which is what terry said he lied about... dont worry about it, I am just playing terry's games...
I still haven't seen enough evidence to join with you and Terry in calling Shiv a liar.
lawdude is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2007, 01:19 PM   #39
e.n335
Moderator
 
e.n335's Avatar
 
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Switzerland, ZH

Posts: 4,480
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
as stated many many many times by me now... I have always planned to buy a PROcede... I have been waiting until the basic feature set is not in a "here is what is coming soon" state... I will buy v2.
You will be pleased ... Nobody expected this fast improvements, if any. The PROcede is and will further be a success story. AA and RD-Sport are pretty quiet since days ...
__________________
Not more than 500 chp for my daily driver. Well, ... .
e.n335 is offline   Austria
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2007, 01:20 PM   #40
RiXst3r
 
RiXst3r's Avatar
 
Drives: www.p3cars.com
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ohio

Posts: 6,459
iTrader: (14)

Send a message via AIM to RiXst3r
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdude View Post
I still haven't seen enough evidence to join with you and Terry in calling Shiv a liar.
I am not calling him a liar... I was just fueling the fire
Its fun to watch Terry go all crazy with the shiv-bashing
RiXst3r is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2007, 01:20 PM   #41
RiXst3r
 
RiXst3r's Avatar
 
Drives: www.p3cars.com
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ohio

Posts: 6,459
iTrader: (14)

Send a message via AIM to RiXst3r
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugen.niederreiter View Post
You will be pleased ... Nobody expected this fast improvements, if any. The PROcede is and will further be a success story. AA and RD-Sport are pretty quiet since days ...
Here are some of my reasons behind my decision to wait...
1. Current PROcede wire harnesses do not have the wires to support v2 features
2. No officially released map switch yet (wireless or wired), sorry, but I NEED a wife mode.
3. Fuel pump problems (my pump got replaced with a pump that i think might go out again!)
4. Waiting to see if anyone's cars blow up

these go back to last year even... This thread has some nice info on Shiv's wireless map switch I am waiting for...
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40917
RiXst3r is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2007, 01:21 PM   #42
Terry335
Banned
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Socal

Posts: 2,587
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdude View Post
I still haven't seen enough evidence to join with you and Terry in calling Shiv a liar.
Maybe he is so disorganized he forgot what was planned for the update in the days between those posts.
Terry335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2007, 01:22 PM   #43
lawdude
Colonel
 
lawdude's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Georgia

Posts: 2,259
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
I am not calling him a liar... I was just fueling the fire
Haha, I know you weren't - I was just yanking your chain too.
lawdude is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2007, 01:29 PM   #44
e.n335
Moderator
 
e.n335's Avatar
 
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Switzerland, ZH

Posts: 4,480
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
Here are some of my reasons behind my decision to wait...
1. Current PROcede wire harnesses do not have the wires to support v2 features
2. No officially released map switch yet (wireless or wired), sorry, but I NEED a wife mode.
3. Fuel pump problems (my pump got replaced with a pump that i think might go out again!)
4. Waiting to see if anyone's cars blow up

these go back to last year even... This thread has some nice info on Shiv's wireless map switch I am waiting for...
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40917
1. I know the PROcede harness in and out. It's no issue to add or to remove a wire. Zero skill requirement.
2. It is still announced. If you need a solution in advance, use my wireless access.
3. The fuel pump problem is not related to the PROcede, it's a random problem.
4. I am fine with the current experience.

Stop waiting, enjoy what's available. I always can wait for something better or cheaper. I will end up in beeing frustrated and having nothing. Enjoy life !
__________________
Not more than 500 chp for my daily driver. Well, ... .
e.n335 is offline   Austria
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST