E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > NEED HELP! Trying to bleed my clutch and it is on the FLOOR! CDV... please help!

06-08-2007, 05:21 PM   #1
BoostedBMW

Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to BoostedBMW
NEED HELP! Trying to bleed my clutch and it is on the FLOOR! CDV... please help!

Hey guys, I really need some help here. I just replaced my CDV with a modified one from ZR on my E92 335, and I noticed that my bleeder valve for my clutch line was in a different spot then the pics on the DIY post that I saw on here. My bleeder valve is so close to the transmission tunnel that its impossible to get an open-end (box) wrench onto it. So, I had to use an 11mm socket on a small rachet to open the valve and close the valve. I had my brother pump the clutch pedal five times and hold it to the floor and then I would open the bleeder until it would spray out brake fluid, and then I would close it back down. On the 3rd try after I opened and closed the valve the clutch pedal went to the floor and now it has zero resistance. If I pick it up it will click back into place, but as soon as I touch it, it will fall to the floor. I don't know if I messed up by trying to bleed the clutch with the car off or if I should have had it running, but now I am stuck with a clutch that has zero resistance and just falls to the floor. Now when I open the bleeder valve no fluid comes out, and if I try to pump the clutch with the bleeder closed it doesn't get any harder at all. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really have no idea how to open and close this valve any faster since the space is so damn tight that I can only get a tenth of a turn with the rachet at a time. Here is a pic so you can see the clearance issues that I am talking about... PLEASE HELP!

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
BoostedBMW is offline   United_States
      06-08-2007, 07:34 PM   #2
BoostedBMW

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Bump...

06-09-2007, 02:57 AM   #3
Dr.Sommer
Private First Class

Drives: RWD BMW

To me this sounds like you emptied the clutch fluid reservoir. This is located in front of the steering column in the engine compartment. To access it, remove the black plastic cover "in fornt of the wipers".
Are you sure, you opened the bleed nipple (7mm), and not any other plug (You used 11mm). On the picture there is no nipple to see.
Step 1:
-Check fluid level
Step 2:
-If Empty/Low, buy a sealed container of brake fluid (DOT 4 or 5, not sure, ask dealer) and top up
Step 3:
-Dont use a ratchet for bleeding. Use a spanner and a transparent plastic hose, which fits on the bleed nipple and route it in to a bottle to catch the bleeded fluid.

To bleed the line:
-Open bleed nipple
-Have your brother depress AND hold the clutch in
-Close bleed nipple
-Have your brother release the pedal (or pull back by hand)
-Repaet this process, until the clutch pedal has solid resistance and no air bubbles come out of the bleed nipple.

If it is not down to an empty reservoir, have the car towed to Your dealer and make a confession

all the best and good luck - Ulrich
      06-09-2007, 08:24 AM   #4
BoostedBMW

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Ulrich, thanks for the response. On my car, the bleeder valve on the slave cylinder is on the side of the transmission, and the nut is 11mm, unlike some of the pics that I have seen on here of a 7mm nut bleeder that is right above the CDV. I have no clue why mine is different, but the position that it is in is almost impossible to get a box wrench onto without only turning it a 1/10 of a turn at a time, which is why I tried using a ratchet. I'm going to go take a look at the reservoir now to see if it is divorced at all for the clutch because I know it was at the max line the whole time when I was trying to bleed it. Also, in the pic the picture of the black nut is the 11mm bleeder, I had the rubber nipple removed off of of the end of it in that pic.

Edit... I just checked and the reservoir is at the max line still, and when I pop off the CDV I get fluid pouring out so I know that the line is getting fluid. At this point I don't know what else I can do, I just can't get a damn wrench in that area that I can turn fast enough open and closed.

06-09-2007, 08:39 AM   #5
Richwm
Captain

Drives: 06 E90 330i 6MT, 01 E46 330i

Garage List
Try and take another picture and make it bigger and zoom out a little so we can see where you are a little better. I secound what Dr.Sommer said about how to bleed it.

Rich
Mar 05 Build date,2006 E90 330i, Sport Package, Premium Package, TR MT-1's . V-1 Hard-wired power with custom V-1 Concealment Display . Rear fogs, Rear power outlet's, M short shifter knob, BlackLines, BMW Strut tower bar, CDV Delete, M3 wishbones + tension struts, BMW Performance shocks and springs, BMW Performance Brake kit F&R, OEM short shift kit.
180K miles.
Richwm is offline   United_States
      06-11-2007, 12:02 PM   #6
Sal@AUTOcouture

Drives: F80 M3

Send a message via AIM to Sal@AUTOcouture
BUMP for some help
      06-11-2007, 01:42 PM   #7
Maestro
Captain

Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

It sounds to me like you got air in the line up at the main cylinder, the reason the cluck peddle is dropping.

I hate manually bleeding brakes and clucks that is why I invested in a vacuum pump. One it does not require two people to do the job, and two it allows you to easily pull fluid through the lines and see when all the air is gone.

if in fact you got an air pocket at the main or slave cylinders you will need to prime them with fluid again and the easiest way is with a vacuum pump and you can buy they at any well respect auto parts store for about $35.

Good luck.
      06-11-2007, 07:23 PM   #8
BoostedBMW

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
It sounds to me like you got air in the line up at the main cylinder, the reason the cluck peddle is dropping.

I hate manually bleeding brakes and clucks that is why I invested in a vacuum pump. One it does not require two people to do the job, and two it allows you to easily pull fluid through the lines and see when all the air is gone.

if in fact you got an air pocket at the main or slave cylinders you will need to prime them with fluid again and the easiest way is with a vacuum pump and you can buy they at any well respect auto parts store for about $35.

Good luck.
Hey, thanks for the info. I just ordered a pressure bleeder from bavauto.com that I should have in a few days. Would you happen to know if I should just use air or if I should fill the pressure bleeder half way with brake fluid? I have read online that some people do it one way and others do it the other. Here is a pic of the pressure bleeder that I ordered, should this do the trick?

06-11-2007, 07:24 PM   #9
BoostedBMW

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoCouture View Post
BUMP for some help
Thanks for the bump Sal. Nothing like having your week old car stuck in the driveway... now its reminding me of the s2000.

06-12-2007, 09:31 PM   #10
BoostedBMW

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Bump... my pressure bleeder will be here on thursday, any ideas on whether I should just use air or fill it with brake fluid.

06-13-2007, 06:32 PM   #11
andrewflk
Private First Class

Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

I just ran into a similar problem last night while a friend and I were removing the CDV from my 335.

Are you sure your reservoir is full? We were having the same problem and when we took a look at the break fluid reservoir it appeared full, this had us scratching our heads because we couldn’t get anything to come out of the bleeder valve. Finally we noticed that there is a divider in the reservoir that keeps the clutch and brake reserves separate. The clutch section is the small section in the back and when the fluid is filled almost to the top it will overflow the divider into both sections.

To finally get it working again we had to continue the bleeding process and top off the reservoir every few times as the line took fluid. It took a bit of patience and several “bleeds” to get the fluid worked through the lines.

My bleeder valve was also a plastic 11mm and unlike the metal valves you need a full turn before it will begin to bleed. This is a pain but I was able to turn it using an open end wrench at an angle.

Good luck and if it’s any consolation your clutch will work so much better.
andrewflk is offline   United_States
      06-13-2007, 06:49 PM   #12
BoostedBMW

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewflk View Post
I just ran into a similar problem last night while a friend and I were removing the CDV from my 335.

Are you sure your reservoir is full? We were having the same problem and when we took a look at the break fluid reservoir it appeared full, this had us scratching our heads because we couldn’t get anything to come out of the bleeder valve. Finally we noticed that there is a divider in the reservoir that keeps the clutch and brake reserves separate. The clutch section is the small section in the back and when the fluid is filled almost to the top it will overflow the divider into both sections.

To finally get it working again we had to continue the bleeding process and top off the reservoir every few times as the line took fluid. It took a bit of patience and several “bleeds” to get the fluid worked through the lines.

My bleeder valve was also a plastic 11mm and unlike the metal valves you need a full turn before it will begin to bleed. This is a pain but I was able to turn it using an open end wrench at an angle.

Good luck and if it’s any consolation your clutch will work so much better.
Thank you very much for the info. I just popped my hood an noticed exactly what you just said. There is just a small sliver of the brake fluid reservoir that is for the clutch, and when I shook the reservoir some brake fluid filled this space, and then I pumped my clutch and it went down again so I believe that this is my problem. I just got my pressure bleeder a few hours ago from UPS so I will be bleeding it again tomorrow. Thanks again for the advice, I think I just found my problem. I'll let you know how I make out.

Edit... I just went outside and topped off my brake fluid and then pumped the clutch again, and it sucked down into the line again, and the clutch began to get firm so I know that this was definitely my problem. Wish me luck with the bleeding tomorrow, but now knowing where the divider is in the brake reservoir I was able to see what my problem was. Thanks again, it feels good to finally get a handle on this.

06-13-2007, 09:35 PM   #13
Montego335i

Drives: BMW 335i Sedan

Please let me know your experience with the pressure bleeder. I've heard mixed reviews on them so haven't purchased one. I need to bleed the brakes on my wife's car--they are getting mushy--and I want to do the CDV mod on my car.