E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Advice Please...Tiny Chips in Paint, 2009 E92 Purchase

03-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
jeffth
Registered

Drives: N/A

Advice Please...Tiny Chips in Paint, 2009 E92 Purchase

Hello, I'm a long-time reader and first-time poster who would really appreciate your feedback. I am 1-2 days away from purchasing my first (used) BMW, yet about 50 very small chips in the paint along the hood, roof and trunk deck of the car are making me a bit nervous about completing the purchase. The chips are very small--each about the size of a 10 font period on a piece of paper.

Here's the info on the car:

2009 E92 M-Sport
Black Sapphire Metallic
Only about 16,000 miles.
In Service Date: 5/15/09.

The tiny chips are white and stand out a bit against the black paint. From 3-4 feet away you don't even notice them. If you're 1 foot away, however, they become visible. The guy in charge of the used cars at this BMW dealership says "the chips are consistent with someone driving through a dust storm between San Francisco (where I live) and Los Angeles". He says they don't threaten the integrity of the paint job on an ongoing basis. He also says if it is agreed to as part of the terms on the sale, they could fix the chips. I personally am a little skeptical they could really fix 50 tiny chips and make it look flawless. That said, it is a nearly 3-year old car, so I'm trying to have reasonable expectations--I'm perfectly willing to accept a few chips.

I am very happy with the price I have negotiated, with the agreement that the paint would be touched up "to my satisfaction" before I commit to buying the car. Or, I made an alternative offer: Knock another $1,000 off the agreed-to price and I'd take it "as is".

I would appreciate your opinion just how worried I should be about these 50 small chips and whether or not they'll eventually peel (seems more likely to me) or lead to rust issues (seems less likely to me). And, if you were compensated $1,000, would you just choose to ignore the chips?

Thanks very much in advance! The car is perfect for me in all other ways!
Jeff
      03-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
LaynEE92

Drives: Audi TT

I had an audi TT and it was very prone to chipping. I had them all the way to the roof of the car. What i discoved was when i waxed the car the white wax would fill in the little chip holes and stand out agaisnt the dark blue paint. It looked great from 3 feet away just like your saying, but if you got up close one would say you need a whole new paint job.

In your case if it a dark colored paint i would give them a shot at fixing it and then be a stickler about it the touch up. Find something wrong with it and see if they will cut that 1000 dollars by half at least.

If you don't go that route there is a product called chip doctor. I have seen videos but dont have any personal experiance.

Best of luck.
      03-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
BMW335icoupe
Captain

Drives: 2009 BMW 335i Xdrive Coupe

I have about 10 chips and I just purchased the BMW touch up paint. I still have to use it though. I would have them take a shot at the chips.
      03-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito

Drives: E92 328xi

The touch up paint is terrible. Definitely don't try that. Not much you can do here. Paint chips happen, although it sucks that it's on the roof and such as that is not really common. I guess either live with it or take $1,000 off and respray.
AddictedToBavarian is offline   Portugal
      03-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #5
understeer
Usual Suspect

Drives: 2009 BMW M3

With a bit of patience and practice you can make paint chips disappear with Dr. Colorchip.

http://www.drcolorchip.com
understeer is offline   United_States
      03-13-2012, 02:46 AM   #6
1QuikWS6
No 55mph

Drives: 09 E92 328iX N51 3-Stage

Garage List
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
2009 328ix E92//SGM//ACS Roof Spoiler//MTech Aero Lip+Trunk Spoiler//M3 Side Skirts//CF Roundels+Grilles//M3 Novillo Interior//Perf Shift Lever+Boot//MPerf DCT Wheel//M3 GT3 eBrake Handle+Boot//ACS Pedals//M3 Mirrors//LCI Tails w/LUX Rev//DTEC V7 AE+MTec 6000K D1S+HPB HID 6000K Fogs//HPB LED Interior//RPI Scoops//CF Euro Airbox+Underhood Hsgs//K&N//BMW PE//MTech Rear Bumper-iS Sport Diffuser//CF Strut Brace//Vishnu OFT//BMW 193M's+Kumho 4X
1QuikWS6 is offline   United_States