E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Advice on some brake upgrades

03-13-2012, 04:39 AM   #1
TopCatz999
Rep

Drives: E90 - 335d, black

Question Advice on some brake upgrades

Excuse the ignorance, it is my first post on the forum and I just spotted this particular area, which is more appropriate (I think) than the general forum...

I'm hoping to go to the Ring later this year and I got some advice about upgrading my 2007 BMW 335d before I go. Just wanted to check this with the vets on the board:

1. upgrade the brake fluid (RBF600?)
2. change to braided hoses to reduce the flex or bulge with Goodridge
3. grooved brake discs (Brembo and EBC were recommended)
4. brake pads that can handle the higher temperatures
5. tyres - Toyo R888

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 05:20 AM   #2
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Germany
Rep

Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330d E91 LCI

Garage List
2009 335i  [4.39]
Brake pads are the most important part of your list IMO. I've used Cool Carbon and was quite satisfied with them, but YMMV. Combined them with EBC Turbo Groove as well as Goodridge steel flex lines.

Do you have any experience on the Nürburgring? If you don't, I would not recommend to use semi slicks like the Toyos but rather normal street tires which are much more forgiving at the limit (AND you can drive them in the wet). Also, if it's your first time, get an instructor or ask someone with experience to guide you round it. I've seen too many people crashing their cars there that didn't take the danger of that track into account.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      03-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
TopCatz999
Rep

Thanks - looks like the list is one to go with. I noticed someone complaining that their Cool Carbon pads had worn out "quickly" although I thought 25k+ miles wasn't bad!

I have no experience of the Nurburgring, but have watched enough videos and talked to my friend who went before (on a motorbike) and who has convinced me to go this year. Soooo, I won't be hacking it round the track, just enjoying the run round and probably, enjoying getting there even more!

I might do some track days in the UK, though, so the upgrades would be useful if I go. Also, I got a CG Lock which I'm about to fit - looks like it will help in many ways, not least my terrible posture!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Germany
Rep

Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330d E91 LCI

Garage List
2009 335i  [4.39]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCatz999 View Post
I have no experience of the Nurburgring, but have watched enough videos and talked to my friend who went before (on a motorbike) and who has convinced me to go this year. Soooo, I won't be hacking it round the track, just enjoying the run round and probably, enjoying getting there even more!
When are you going? Let me know and we could meet up there, as I'm living not far from the 'Ring. I'll also be joining the track days organised by Dino this summer.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      03-13-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
TopCatz999
Rep

Duh! I just noticed you in the thread for the track day aimed at August 20th, which is the one I was aiming at booking with "see how it goes" on weekend before. My mate that went on his bike last time wants to give it a go in his Vauxhall so there will be at least two of us. Any idea what rate Dino has got down to with the block booking -(:0)
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
robert @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

You will not be disappointed with Cool Carbon Pads; we sell multiple brands
and Cool Carbons are always our top choice, much
more linear and progressive feel and great stopping ability plus much better
ability to modulate and low dust.

Great time to buy during our March sale

https://www.europeanautosource.com/specials
http://www.europeanautosource.com/ma...bonPerformance

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #7
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep

Drives: 1.9L of fury

#1 and #4 on your list are the most important. I wouldn't even worry about anything else, except having a good instructor, since it's your first time.

don't bother with sticky tires, etc until you have more experience, as they'll just mask your mistakes, and are typically are less forgiving than regular street tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 07:44 PM   #8
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
#1 and #4 on your list are the most important. I wouldn't even worry about anything else, except having a good instructor, since it's your first time.

don't bother with sticky tires, etc until you have more experience, as they'll just mask your mistakes, and are typically are less forgiving than regular street tires.
Great advice. I would add that stainless steel brake lines help tremendously.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 11:25 PM   #9
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Don't count out Ferodo DS2500s, Porterfield R4S and Stoptech Street Performance pads.
Appreciate 0