E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: ProClip Install for iPhone

03-15-2012, 01:18 AM   #1
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

DIY: ProClip Install for iPhone

My car came with the 6FL USB/Aux option in the armrest but I wanted to get the iPhone mounted on the dash so I could easily dock it, view music artwork, and navigate with Navigon. I bought the CableJive Car Charge Extension Kit and the ProClip center mount and got started. Note the ProClip mounts for BMW need to be specified with or without factory Nav and with or without wood trim. You can also choose between the Center Mount, Angled Mount, and Left Mount. I chose the Center Mount and my part number ( 853739 ) is without factory Nav and with wood trim.

Not pictured are the DockStubz and 12V micro USB charger that come with the kit. The connectivity in the end will be Aux/USB socket to the OEM BMW Y cable to the DockStubz adapter to the 6 foot dockExtender cable to the ProClip mount with dock pass thru. The 12V adapter plugs into the DockStubz unit.

I measured and cut slots in the ProClip mount to secure the cable.

Bottom side view of the clip mounted with the cable attached to the dock. Here you can see the slot is just deep enough to provide clearance for the cable when clipped on.

Top view show the cable through the slot. This slot has a tapered edge to accommodate the angle of the dash trim.

Head unit removed to route the cabling behind and into the center console / armrest.

Cable routing through the shifter area. I also went with a short shifter here.

Cable routed alongside the ducting inside the console.

Close up showing the relocated USB/Aux socket. You can also make out the body the of BMW OEM Y cable. The 30 pin dock connector is attached to the DockStubz (hidden) and then the Dock Extender cable which you can see running toward the left. Hidden from view is the 12V to micro USB adapter which plugs into the DockStubz. The 12V adapter is way too large to plug in to the 12V socket and would also caused exposed cables so I modified the housing, cutting off the socket end and soldering the connections to the 12V wiring underneath the console. There is enough room to push all the wiring inside the console for a completely hidden solution. Note the second USB / Aux socket shown in the armrest in the previous picture is currently not functional, it is just covering the slot. It may be possible to put in a USB hub and cable to maintain the possibility of using a USB drive.

Close up of mount showing cable routing.

You may wonder why I purchased a second USB/Aux socket (84109237653). Along the way I discovered my USB/Aux socket in the armrest was flakey as it would drop the iPod connection and revert to Aux and USB. Charging had worked when I was using the short BMW Y cable in the armrest but with the CableJive dock extender it would no longer charge reliably. Zack from CableJive provided instructions for how to properly use the setup. Bottom line is I just have to start my car first and THEN dock my iPhone and everything works great!

iPhone screen capture showing Bluetooth sync and charging. Note the iPhone is jailbroken and the NoAccessorySplash application allows cover art to be displayed full time.

iPhone screen capture showing Navigon in operation

Enjoy
      08-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
motch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440iX Vert, Ind. / MPPSK

Ok.. here's my question-
Do you have an IPod connect to the Y cable inside the center armrest AND have the IPhone also connected?
Are you able to use BMW Connect?

Thanks
Motch
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motch View Post
Ok.. here's my question-
Do you have an IPod connect to the Y cable inside the center armrest AND have the IPhone also connected?
Are you able to use BMW Connect?

Thanks
Motch
No, there is no iPod in the center armrest. You could use both only if the iPhone is only for Handsfree and the iPod connects to the center armrest.

BUT your car is newer - you might have Bluetooth streaming capability through A2DP.
      08-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
Anon007
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Really wanting to do this but I will be getting the iPhone 5 when it comes out (have the 4 now). I do know that the iPhone 5 will have a different connection than all previous iPhones. Since that's the case. Do you think ProClip updated connection for the iPhone 5 will be able to screw on to the same backing as the ones they sell now. Not sure if this makes sense, but will I be able to buy this one now, then when the 5 come out, but that one and simply screw on the new connection to the clip that is already connected to the console?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonDCarton View Post
Really wanting to do this but I will be getting the iPhone 5 when it comes out (have the 4 now). I do know that the iPhone 5 will have a different connection than all previous iPhones. Since that's the case. Do you think ProClip updated connection for the iPhone 5 will be able to screw on to the same backing as the ones they sell now. Not sure if this makes sense, but will I be able to buy this one now, then when the 5 come out, but that one and simply screw on the new connection to the clip that is already connected to the console?
Yes, all their device holders screw to the mounts using a standard pattern. If I get an iPhone 5 I will get a new device holder and a new dock extender cable and rework my installation. I think it will take some time before the holder and cable are available though.
      06-24-2013, 11:30 PM   #6
VAZ2106
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90

After I installed back the AC unit, radio, and the wood trim, 99% of the air stopped blowing through the front vents (even the far left vent, which I didn't touch). The blower turns on but the air seems to be escaping inside (judging from a hissing sound). The remaining 1% of the air blowing through the vents is hot, despite the temperature settings on the AC unit. I checked everything a few times. I even removed the auxiliary cable just to restore everything to original specs.
I will appreciate any suggestions.
Appreciate 0