E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2012 335i shuts off while coasting

03-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
r3b3l5
Registered

Drives: BMW 335i

2012 335i shuts off while coasting

I drive a stick shift, and usually, I would put it to neutral when traffic is slow, or coming to a stop, or about to exit freeway. Several times, I felt the steering wheel stiffen and eventually, realized that the car has shut off. Engine just shuts off suddenly (rpm suddenly goes to 0), without any signs of shaking. No lights come on on the dashboard either to indicate that car has died.

Got a 2012 335i Dec 2011, and since then my car experienced this problem 8 times already. It doesn't happen everyday, but I don't know either at what circumstances this happens, but it just happens. Took it to the dealership 3 times already, and they said they can't replicate the problem, nor did they find any error code recorded in the car's system. They do not want to replace it or buy it back since they can't replicate the issue. So, I want to know if anyone has experienced this, and what did you do? And second, what are my options to get rid of this car?
      03-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
cookiesowns
;)

Drives: 535i @ 12psi, BRZ Series.Blue

Send a message via AIM to cookiesowns
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3b3l5 View Post
I drive a stick shift, and usually, I would put it to neutral when traffic is slow, or coming to a stop, or about to exit freeway. Several times, I felt the steering wheel stiffen and eventually, realized that the car has shut off. Engine just shuts off suddenly (rpm suddenly goes to 0), without any signs of shaking. No lights come on on the dashboard either to indicate that car has died.

Got a 2012 335i Dec 2011, and since then my car experienced this problem 8 times already. It doesn't happen everyday, but I don't know either at what circumstances this happens, but it just happens. Took it to the dealership 3 times already, and they said they can't replicate the problem, nor did they find any error code recorded in the car's system. They do not want to replace it or buy it back since they can't replicate the issue. So, I want to know if anyone has experienced this, and what did you do? And second, what are my options to get rid of this car?
First things first, congrats on your new BMW. Second thing, I would HIGHLY suggest you to read the damn manual, or even ask your dealer to give you the post-purchase walk around, and general tutorial of the car, because if they DID, you will realize that's a new feature of many cars. It's called the "auto start stop" feature, where it will turn off the engine at a redlight to save gas, and help prevent emissions.

There should be a button under neath the "start" button to disable this feature, or you can simply kick in the clutch when its stopped and it will start back up automatically.
cookiesowns is offline   Taiwan
      03-17-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
ndog14
Banned

Drives: E90 328xi 6MT

F30 or E92?

And if it's the Start/Stop on the F30.
ndog14 is offline   United_States
      03-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
Sasha1234
Private

Drives: 335i Coupe M/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesowns View Post
First things first, congrats on your new BMW. Second thing, I would HIGHLY suggest you to read the damn manual, or even ask your dealer to give you the post-purchase walk around, and general tutorial of the car, because if they DID, you will realize that's a new feature of many cars. It's called the "auto start stop" feature, where it will turn off the engine at a redlight to save gas, and help prevent emissions.

There should be a button under neath the "start" button to disable this feature, or you can simply kick in the clutch when its stopped and it will start back up automatically.
+1
Sasha1234 is offline   United_States
      03-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
ndog14
Banned

Also, if it's an F30 go to the F30 forum.
      03-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
notan///m
Colonel

Drives: AY F80 (out of the oven)

Garage List
Quote:

I think you may have the start/stop feature description wrong here since it only occurs when the car is at a full stop. BMW describes it on their website here.

Also, why would the steering wheel stiffen up (like when the car is off) while he's coasting at speed? Seems like you got a serious problem there, and a potentially dangerous one at that, especially since it's a MT. I'd say if there were 8 previous occasions of it, get it completely resolved by your dealer before you drive it again. Also, if you want to get rid of it, don't sell it. It's only 3 months old and keep nagging the dealer so that they buy it back from you. Also file a formal complaint with BMW NA. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndog14 View Post
Also, if it's an F30 go to the F30 forum.
Wasn't the US release of the F30 in February? If it's a 2012 model, then it's most likely an E92/3, otherwise, it's a 2011 model.

CCA Member

Last edited by notan///m; 03-17-2012 at 05:38 PM.
      03-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
ndog14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SERI335 View Post
Wasn't the US release of the F30 in February? If it's a 2012 model, then it's most likely an E92/3, otherwise, it's a 2011 model.
Yes, I was at a dealer yesterday and they had 5 F30s, its mid-March. OP never said if he had a 2012 sedan or coupe, just a 2012 335. Since what he is describing is like auto start/stop we're assuming its an F30, which has its own section on BimmerPost. And if it's an F30 he would have read about auto start/stop in the manual, if he read it.
      03-18-2012, 06:37 AM   #8
notan///m
Colonel

Drives: AY F80 (out of the oven)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndog14 View Post
Yes, I was at a dealer yesterday and they had 5 F30s, its mid-March. OP never said if he had a 2012 sedan or coupe, just a 2012 335. Since what he is describing is like auto start/stop we're assuming its an F30, which has its own section on BimmerPost. And if it's an F30 he would have read about auto start/stop in the manual, if he read it.
Well OP did say he got it in Dec last year, so that rules out the F30. Also, not sure where in the manual is there anything about the steering getting stiff (where the real problem lies).

CCA Member

03-18-2012, 06:56 AM   #9
ChasVS
Colonel

Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

OP needs to take a driving course. Putting a car in Neutral at the times he does isn't a good idea in the first place...
      03-18-2012, 07:44 AM   #10
John 070
Lieutenant General

Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:

The guy has a 335i, not a 4 cyl. Why are you telling him to read the manual?
      03-18-2012, 07:45 AM   #11
John 070
Lieutenant General

Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SERI335 View Post
Well OP did say he got it in Dec last year, so that rules out the F30. Also, not sure where in the manual is there anything about the steering getting stiff (where the real problem lies).
Yeah, those 4 cyl. cars have EPS. Lots of dumb advice on this forum.
      04-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #12
steve1980
Registered

Drives: 12' 335i m spt xdrive coupe 6m

I drive a 2012 335i xdrive 6 speed and have experience this same problem twice since I got my car mid February. I have a second appointment with the dealer tmrw and expect the same answer I got the last time which is nothing is wrong with the car. The first time at a light I was stopping, put it into neutral at about 2 mph and it cut off. Most recently about 3 days ago it cut off while in gear at about 2-3 mph while the clutch was releasing and I was about to continue accelerating. Years ago it was the fuel pump issues, now its this. When will they get it right with the 335s already.
      05-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #13
AliciaDino

Drives: 2011 335I Coupe

My 2011 335i has completely shut off like that about 10 times. I too drive a manual and i know for a fact it's not me stalling because the car completely shuts off like i turned it off. I've been driving manual cars for the past 10+ years, so i think i got that part down.

The most recent time it happened was this weekend. I was on the freeway going about 40 MPH (slow traffic) and the car decides it wants to act crazy and shuts off right in the middle of the freeway!

Other instances prior to that also happened at the lower speed range while i'm driving through the backroads, but it's happened about 10 times. I remember it happened like 3 times in one day once.

Today is my second time taking it to the dealer. We will find out what they say by the end of the day, but i already know it's going to be "we can't duplicate the problem and it's not throwing any codes...so it's nothing" Then they'll offer to keep my car and drive it home (and abuse it along the way) and i'll tell them no thank you. (my brother used to be a technician at an auto dealer, and if you're stupid, you'll let them drive it home and use your car as their own for a week.

I don't know what's going on...have any of you found a solution the the issue?

As far as buybacks...i think it's if they've made three attempts to fix it (whether service was actually done to it or not) you can pull the "lemon law" on them and get them to take it back. Of course, make formal complaints to their corporate office and also to BBB. I will be doing that very soon, if they don't find a fix.
      05-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #14
Vroom vroom
Private First Class

Drives: Looking for a 335i

Keep something recording video while you drive so you can show the dealership next time it happens.
      05-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #15
gunnerxq
Captain

Drives: e90 "325i"

It's a California thing.
      05-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #16
AliciaDino

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3b3l5 View Post

So, what's been done for you? My car is still at the dealer. The last time i checked, they told me that they've notified BMW NA to check with them to see if anyone else has reported the same or similar problem. And if so, what the fix was, if there was one. I don't know how true that is...but if i get my car back without a fix, i'm going to escalate my issue to them myself and try to get them to buy it back. Maybe you should take your car back in and have them look at it again. Lemon Law states that if they attempt to fix it three times (whether they actually do any repairs to it or not) and if they can't fix it, then technically, it's considered a lemon and you can work on getting them to buy it back (or something like that). Let me know if you've made any progress!
      05-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #17
AliciaDino

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
It's a California thing.
LOL. i suppose it is.
      05-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #18
AliciaDino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom vroom View Post
Keep something recording video while you drive so you can show the dealership next time it happens.
Sounds like a good idea...but i wonder if they will be able to do anything about it even if they see it happening on video?? It's worth a try...but no lights come on on my dash and there isn't much to see, really.
      05-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #19
AliciaDino

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1980 View Post
I drive a 2012 335i xdrive 6 speed and have experience this same problem twice since I got my car mid February. I have a second appointment with the dealer tmrw and expect the same answer I got the last time which is nothing is wrong with the car. The first time at a light I was stopping, put it into neutral at about 2 mph and it cut off. Most recently about 3 days ago it cut off while in gear at about 2-3 mph while the clutch was releasing and I was about to continue accelerating. Years ago it was the fuel pump issues, now its this. When will they get it right with the 335s already.
Uuuhhh...Maybe it's all the "manual" cars....damn...
      05-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #20
theoldblue

Drives: 335is

Are All The Positive Responses

With manual cars, or are some automatic ?

mike
      05-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #21
E9TOU
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to E9TOU
What happens after it dies? Do you stop on the side of the road and turn it back on like normal? Or does it stay dead?
E9TOU is offline   United_States
      05-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #22
jwzimm
Major

Drives: '11 335i X-drive Coupe

I have had this happen in my 2011 33i X-drive 6MT as well. It normally would happen in a drive-thru when I pull from the menu board to the window waiting in line. I would have to creep forward one car length and then stop so I would put it in neutral and take my foot of the clutch. When it came time to pull forward again the car would just be off. Quite embarrassing having to re-start your BMW at the drive-thru window. I have noticed it has happened when I have less than a half tank of gas too. Not sure if there is an correlation though.
jwzimm is offline   United_States