E90Post

MINHS Auto Care Center

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Are there two different versions of MTM Hydro foam lance?

05-12-2014, 11:17 AM   #1
Saad
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: F36

Are there two different versions of MTM Hydro foam lance?

Hello,

Are there two different types of foamers that MTM Hydro makes for pressure washers? One that is designed for low (electric) vs. high (gas) pressure washers? I learned about this from the following YouTube video, but I don't know if the video is authentic or not.

I had recently ordered and received the MTM Hydro Foam Lance (Adjustable Professional Foam Lance Kit - Part #14.0263) from Detailed Image for use with an electric pressure washer. However, the foam generated was below expectations. The results I achieved were very similar to what the video refers to as the "old version". I am also using the same exact electric pressure washer as the one shown in the video.

[u2b]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-W-kmvSm1c[/u2b]
      05-13-2014, 10:55 PM   #2
Saad
Private First Class
Rep

Bump!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 03:15 PM   #3
Saad
Private First Class
Rep

As a follow-up to my original post, I think the YouTube video link which I had provided above is total BS or maybe created to generate hype (I really don't know).

My problem was the Meguiars NXT soap that I was using with the foam cannon. I have nothing against this NXT soap, but I don't think it is designed to foam/sud well using a foam cannon. Using the same foam cannon and 2 to 3 oz. of Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II was far superior in creating foam/suds that remained on the car surface for a reasonable amount of time.

Lesson learned? Yes, use the right type of soap that is designed to be used with a foam cannon.
      05-21-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
330iE90spt
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: '06 330i Tiag Sdn

MTM Foam Lance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saad View Post
As a follow-up to my original post, I think the YouTube video link which I had provided above is total BS or maybe created to generate hype (I really don't know).

My problem was the Meguiars NXT soap that I was using with the foam cannon. I have nothing against this NXT soap, but I don't think it is designed to foam/sud well using a foam cannon. Using the same foam cannon and 2 to 3 oz. of Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II was far superior in creating foam/suds that remained on the car surface for a reasonable amount of time.

Lesson learned? Yes, use the right type of soap that is designed to be used with a foam cannon.
I don't think the youtube video was necessarily BS, however, the guy doing the video wasn't exactly clear with what the better Foam Lance (one for lower pressure washers) was called.

To answer your question, yes there is another Foam Lance Cannon (besides MTM Hydro) and I'm pretty sure this was the one this guy was using in the video. It's called MTM "Next Generation" Professional Foam Lance by Chemical Guys. The MTM Hydro goes for $65, but this MTM Next Generation Foam Lance goes for $85 (on sale). Again, this guy didn't confirm it, but I'm almost positive this is what he was using for his second test.

And Yes, using different soap (CG Maxi Suds, Mr. Pink) will definitely help your cause!! Hope this helped and cleared some things up.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 08:18 PM   #5
bw86newman
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 LCI 335i

Garage List
1990 E30 325i  [0.00]
2011 E90 LCI 335i  [0.00]
Guys check this out....this guy did a comparison of the two.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ric-model.html

I bought the one for the electric pressure washer and used it this weekend with a ryobi electric pressure washer this weekend. I will post a video later this week of how it turned out.

Seemed to work pretty well, but i'm sure not as good as if I had a gas pressure washer.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 11:12 PM   #6
Saad
Private First Class
Rep

I had actually emailed CG asking them about the difference between these two cannons, and the person who responded said something about a different filter that didn't clog as easily. Take it for what its worth, but it seemed like differences between the two are minor. Supposedly the one I purchased for DI is not the "next generation", but frankly I am 100% happy with its performance when used with the right type of soap.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 11:43 PM   #7
Saad
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw86newman View Post
Guys check this out....this guy did a comparison of the two.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ric-model.html

I bought the one for the electric pressure washer and used it this weekend with a ryobi electric pressure washer this weekend. I will post a video later this week of how it turned out.

Seemed to work pretty well, but i'm sure not as good as if I had a gas pressure washer.
Thank you for providing that link. As far as I can tell, the only difference in specs is the minimum pressure rating. The directions on mine (higher pressure version) suggest using a pressure washer with minimum 1.8 GPM and the one for lower pressure says 1.4 GPM. Minimum PSI is 1,100 for both.

My electric PW is rated at 1.5 GPM and worked really well with the higher pressure model. At least in my scenario.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 09:18 AM   #8
330iE90spt
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: '06 330i Tiag Sdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iE90spt View Post
I don't think the youtube video was necessarily BS, however, the guy doing the video wasn't exactly clear with what the better Foam Lance (one for lower pressure washers) was called.

To answer your question, yes there is another Foam Lance Cannon (besides MTM Hydro) and I'm pretty sure this was the one this guy was using in the video. It's called MTM "Next Generation" Professional Foam Lance by Chemical Guys. The MTM Hydro goes for $65, but this MTM Next Generation Foam Lance goes for $85 (on sale). Again, this guy didn't confirm it, but I'm almost positive this is what he was using for his second test.

And Yes, using different soap (CG Maxi Suds, Mr. Pink) will definitely help your cause!! Hope this helped and cleared some things up.
It appears I was wrong. There is a high pressure and low pressure MTM Foam Lance... other than the Next Generation Foam Lance from Chemical Guys.

This is the high pressure one.
MTM Hydro Professional Foam Lance Adjustable with 32 oz. Bottle
http://www.wayfair.com/MTM-Hydro-Pro...3-MHD1010.html
http://www.amazon.com/Professional-F.../dp/B004GNZYY4

This is the NEW low pressure one.
MTM Hydro Professional 2600 PSI Adjustable Foamer
http://www.wayfair.com/MTM-Hydro-Pro...9-MHD1109.html
http://www.amazon.com/Professional-2.../dp/B00EDSLVQC
Appreciate 0