E90Post
 


E92 Lighting
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Mods and insurance



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-19-2012, 03:36 AM   #1
gchild
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: honda
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: london

Posts: 340
iTrader: (0)

Mods and insurance

Still struggling to find 330i m sport with the right spec, but have seen an se that has the boxes ticked except the m styling obviously. I could probably live with that, but if I was to change:
- shocks and springs to lower it
- add a nice set of oem wheels (18" min)
- smoked rear lights
- grille change
- window tints all round

How much impact am I likely to see on insurance premiums?

Cheers
gchild is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2012, 05:06 AM   #2
doughboy
Major General
 
doughboy's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 335i Sold.
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK

Posts: 6,309
iTrader: (2)

I certainly wouldn't inform insurers about a dark grille and smoked rear lights (as long as they were BMW parts).

But it will never be the M sport you want, just a fake, same when it comes to sell on.
__________________
335i gone E63 AMG here at last!
doughboy is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2012, 06:11 AM   #3
Theivz
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: e91 320d msport business ed
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: London, UK

Posts: 345
iTrader: (0)

i did all the mods on mine and informed them in one go and paid 63 pounds extra ... i think you pay more for admin charges if you tell on different occasions
__________________
Theivz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2012, 06:55 AM   #4
gchild
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: honda
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: london

Posts: 340
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theivz
i did all the mods on mine and informed them in one go and paid 63 pounds extra ... i think you pay more for admin charges if you tell on different occasions
Did you do the same things I'm planning? I could live with around £63
gchild is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2012, 06:56 AM   #5
gchild
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: honda
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: london

Posts: 340
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy
I certainly wouldn't inform insurers about a dark grille and smoked rear lights (as long as they were BMW parts).

But it will never be the M sport you want, just a fake, same when it comes to sell on.
Know what you mean. Waiting game is making me impatient.
gchild is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2012, 07:12 AM   #6
doughboy
Major General
 
doughboy's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 335i Sold.
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK

Posts: 6,309
iTrader: (2)

+1 Theivz,

I just renewed last night, and put all the mods on together, and even added future mods I haven't even done yet (aftermarket wheels, modified exhaust and uprated brakes) as its cheaper than adding them mid-policy one by one.

Difference with / without all mods was only 100 with same insurer (from 600 to 700 total with elephant)

But with no mods you get access to lots more insurers who are cheaper. With no mods 'Sheila's Wheels' was only 350 for me, so in reality its cost me 350 extra for the mods. As soon as you tick the 'mods' box on a comparison site, about 80% of the insurers disappear from the list. I only had 6 firms quote on compare the market.com with the mods.
doughboy is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2012, 07:41 AM   #7
jimpom23
Private First Class
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Leeds

Posts: 196
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
+1 Theivz,

I just renewed last night, and put all the mods on together, and even added future mods I haven't even done yet (aftermarket wheels, modified exhaust and uprated brakes) as its cheaper than adding them mid-policy one by one.

Difference with / without all mods was only 100 with same insurer (from 600 to 700 total with elephant)

But with no mods you get access to lots more insurers who are cheaper. With no mods 'Sheila's Wheels' was only 350 for me, so in reality its cost me 350 extra for the mods. As soon as you tick the 'mods' box on a comparison site, about 80% of the insurers disappear from the list. I only had 6 firms quote on compare the market.com with the mods.

I'm sure you know this but by declaring things that aren't on yet, if you had an accident tomorrow they could void your insurance as you didn't have those items on at the time
jimpom23 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2012, 07:51 AM   #8
doughboy
Major General
 
doughboy's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 335i Sold.
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK

Posts: 6,309
iTrader: (2)

Point taken, but to stay legal you have to declare / pay uplift for mods BEFORE you fit them, else you'd be driving uninsured as soon as the mod was put on?

No good getting a remap and then getting a quote the week later! I always phone first, fit mods after.

A couple of years ago, I asked the same question as I wasn't sure when I'd get round to fitting the JB3, they (Admiral) said once you've declared the mod and paid its up to you when you get it done it as you're covered either way.
__________________
335i gone E63 AMG here at last!

Last edited by doughboy; 03-19-2012 at 07:57 AM.
doughboy is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #9
Theivz
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: e91 320d msport business ed
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: London, UK

Posts: 345
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchild View Post
Did you do the same things I'm planning? I could live with around £63
aftermarket wheels
coilovers
front splitters
front grill
tints
remap
exhaust (same as doughboy - getting done today but paid up in advance to save more admin costs)
__________________
Theivz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2012, 08:33 AM   #10
onetwentie
Straight 6
 
onetwentie's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330d MSport
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: West Yorkshire, UK

Posts: 167
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theivz View Post
aftermarket wheels
coilovers
front splitters
front grill
tints
remap
exhaust (same as doughboy - getting done today but paid up in advance to save more admin costs)
Which insurance compnay you with Theivz?
onetwentie is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
gchild
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: honda
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: london

Posts: 340
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theivz
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchild View Post
Did you do the same things I'm planning? I could live with around £63
aftermarket wheels
coilovers
front splitters
front grill
tints
remap
exhaust (same as doughboy - getting done today but paid up in advance to save more admin costs)
Do you use an Indy to do the work? Can you recommend them for future reference?
gchild is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-20-2012, 05:53 PM   #12
Theivz
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: e91 320d msport business ed
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: London, UK

Posts: 345
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwentie View Post
Which insurance compnay you with Theivz?
pm sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchild View Post
Do you use an Indy to do the work? Can you recommend them for future reference?
KG Kustoms (google 'em) - one of the owners is westsidee90 is a member on here. they've modded all my cars. nice blokes and technical gurus
__________________
Theivz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST