E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Eibach pro-kit and Bistein HD struts ?

03-19-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
black 335xi
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2010 335 i

Eibach pro-kit and Bistein HD struts ?

Is anyone using the Eibach springs with Bilstein HD struts/shocks, rather than the sport version?

Initially, I just upgraded to the Bilstein HD's, without springs, and the ride was much improved, though it still had the ride height of an SUV-

Added the Eibach springs (pro-kit) and continued to use the Bilstein HD dampers. My understanding is that the HD's and the sports are valved the same, and I know that some people are using this combo. Ride is very firm in my opinion, but not necessarily harsh.

Here's my question- With the shorter springs, am I outside the optimal "travel" of the Bilstein HD's or am I OK ? Would the ride be better with the Sports instead? Any pitfalls for continuing to run the HD's instead of Sports. Anyone with an opinion based on fact/experience please chime in.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
You shouldn't be double posting.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664337

Are you in an xDrive?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
black 335xi
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
You shouldn't be double posting.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664337

Are you in an xDrive?
Yes, 2010 xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
MassBimmer
Major General
Rep

Drives: E90 LCI 328i xDrive

Garage List
2009 BMW  [4.50]
The Bilstein Sport shocks are meant to be paired with sport lowering springs. The Bilstein HD shocks are meant to be paired with OE springs, not lowering springs. As a result, you're likely not getting all the dampening you need with shorter stiffer springs.
      03-20-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
black 335xi
Private
United_States
Rep

Yes, that was my concern exactly - so I called Bilstein in Poway CA, and spoke to a tech rep or something like that. He had some comments that seem reasonable. First, he said that the valving in the HD's and the Sports is nearly identical. The overall length is shorter (with sports) due to a shorter shaft, and not a shorter strut/shock body. Primary reason for this is so you don't unseat really short springs. Second, he said that the valving is largely not dependent upon the position of the shaft/piston - and it that stays relatively constant throughout the stroke. An exception would be, with the front struts, if you take a large enough hit to bottom the shaft out, and it contacts the internal bump stop. Bottom line- he said that I shouldn't notice any appreciable difference between the sports or HD's in terms of "ride quality" and that the shorter springs wouldn't necessarily degrade the dampers any quicker. In my mind, drawing upon primarily experience with motorcycle suspension- I have too much compression damping, and not enough rebound damping right now.
Appreciate 0