E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Quick xi Suspension Review - Bilstein + Eibach



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #23
everlast
Malt'm'n'Salt'm
 
Drives: 2008 328xiT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON

Posts: 221
iTrader: (0)

AWD Addict, to be clear, you used the 335i coupe springs, ie Eibach part number 2092.140?
everlast is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #24
Kevin M
Private First Class
 
Drives: E30 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: CT/NYC

Posts: 120
iTrader: (0)

I keep going back and forth on whether to do suspension on my leased 335xi. Concerned the ride is going to be too rough.

I am running stock run flats (18") during the warmer months and 18" blizzaks in the winter.

Right now I think its soft and could easily go 30-40% firmer, but if I spend $1,000 on parts, then $300 to install and I hate the ride....that sucks for me...especially since I have to pay another $300 eventually to reinstall the stock ones when I return the car.

Anyone running bilstein sport + eibach on 18" run flats?
__________________
2014 AW 335xi MSport
1989 M3

Past: 2011 E90 335xi M Sport, 2005 330Ci ZHP, 2001 Yamaha R6
Kevin M is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #25
RevC
Lieutenant General
 
RevC's Avatar
 
Drives: a couple fast toys
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Voorhees+cherry hill,NJ

Posts: 11,773
iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M View Post
I keep going back and forth on whether to do suspension on my leased 335xi. Concerned the ride is going to be too rough.

I am running stock run flats (18") during the warmer months and 18" blizzaks in the winter.

Right now I think its soft and could easily go 30-40% firmer, but if I spend $1,000 on parts, then $300 to install and I hate the ride....that sucks for me...especially since I have to pay another $300 eventually to reinstall the stock ones when I return the car.

Anyone running bilstein sport + eibach on 18" run flats?
don't do that, you're going to curse your self. having a lowered car with less shock travel coupled with runflats is a disaster imho. good luck
__________________
-Rev


SGM e92 335xi|Helix|AFE|AWE|PROCEDE|SYNAPSE|ER|OSS|BMW PERFORMANCE|P3|always growing..
RevC is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #26
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
 
AWD Addict's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boston

Posts: 2,463
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M View Post
I keep going back and forth on whether to do suspension on my leased 335xi. Concerned the ride is going to be too rough.

I am running stock run flats (18") during the warmer months and 18" blizzaks in the winter.

Right now I think its soft and could easily go 30-40% firmer, but if I spend $1,000 on parts, then $300 to install and I hate the ride....that sucks for me...especially since I have to pay another $300 eventually to reinstall the stock ones when I return the car.

Anyone running bilstein sport + eibach on 18" run flats?
Ask a member in your regional forum if you can go for a spin. I'm a bitch about people driving my car, but I'd totally let one of you idiots take her for a quick spin. As you drive the same car, you're least likely to rape my clutch.

But after everything I've read about people running runflats with upgraded suspension, I would wait to do it until you need/want new rubber.

Last edited by AWD Addict; 03-22-2012 at 08:29 PM.
AWD Addict is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #27
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
 
AWD Addict's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boston

Posts: 2,463
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
AWD Addict, to be clear, you used the 335i coupe springs, ie Eibach part number 2092.140?
Yes
AWD Addict is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-23-2012, 06:34 AM   #28
MassBimmer
Major General
 
MassBimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 LCI 328i xDrive
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mansfield, MA

Posts: 6,991
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M View Post
I keep going back and forth on whether to do suspension on my leased 335xi. Concerned the ride is going to be too rough.

I am running stock run flats (18") during the warmer months and 18" blizzaks in the winter.

Right now I think its soft and could easily go 30-40% firmer, but if I spend $1,000 on parts, then $300 to install and I hate the ride....that sucks for me...especially since I have to pay another $300 eventually to reinstall the stock ones when I return the car.

Anyone running bilstein sport + eibach on 18" run flats?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevC View Post
don't do that, you're going to curse your self. having a lowered car with less shock travel coupled with runflats is a disaster imho. good luck
this, do not lower your car on runflats, it'll be way too harsh...you'll hate it.
__________________
E90 LCI 328i xDrive: M-Sport Conversion / BMW Performance Exhaust / BMW Performance Intake / BMW Performance Steering Wheel / VMR V710 / KW V1
MassBimmer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-23-2012, 08:24 AM   #29
ajsalida
Lieutenant Colonel
 
ajsalida's Avatar
 
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SW USA

Posts: 1,501
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
AWD Addict, to be clear, you used the 335i coupe springs, ie Eibach part number 2092.140?
FWIW last time I looked into this there were NO 335xi-specific eibach pro-kit springs, at least as far as eibach part #'s. There are some vendors who will sell you "xi" eibachs (at a price premium over non-xi!!!), but not show you a part #, they are exactly the same springs as 335i.

There is also no difference between coupe and sedan, but there is one between 328/335.

I just checked again on Eibach's website, same deal.

http://performance-suspension.eibach...cation_look_up
ajsalida is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #30
avenger2540
First Lieutenant
 
avenger2540's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 e92 335i xDrive coupe
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: boston

Posts: 358
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
09 BMW e92 335xi  [3.33]
04 BMW e60i  [2.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
Yes
How much it drop front and rear,once u give us a review after the honeymoon I may use this set up please keep post...by the way the car look great...
__________________
09 e92 335xi Alpine White, Saddle Interior, Sport pkg, Cold pkg, Comfort pkg, Premium pkg, Adactive Headlights, Black Kidney Grill, M3front, Mtech rear, M3side skirts, CF Performance spoiler, Kw v1, 19" M6 Replicas Hankook Ventus v12 evo...
avenger2540 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #31
avenger2540
First Lieutenant
 
avenger2540's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 e92 335i xDrive coupe
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: boston

Posts: 358
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
09 BMW e92 335xi  [3.33]
04 BMW e60i  [2.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
I had my 50k mile OE suspension replaced last Friday (2008 335xi), and I thought I'd post up some comments on my new setup. I went with the Bilstein Sport Shocks/Struts + Eibach Prokit Springs based on the reviews here.

The goal was a sportier daily driver setup than OE that left the car much flatter in hard cornering and heavy braking situations, but was not overly stiff on typical Boston roads including potholes and freeze joints. I wanted the car lowered, as the xi's rake is too much for me aesthetically, and generally the car sits too high for a sport coupe. Alternatively, I did not want the "slammed" look, as I'm a professional and use the car for work, and am regularly seen in road meetings with public officials, consultants and financial partners. I also did not want to be constantly scraping on my driveway entrance and other hilly areas I frequent.

Essentially, I wanted the Goldilocks solution to modifying the xi's suspension. Lower, better performing in all areas, but not too much lower, and still comfortable enough to drive my wife around.

The verdict is simply that I think I got exactly what I wanted and hoped for. While the car hasn't completely settled, the stance is much lower and more even front to back (though there is still a small amount of rake). When driving, the car is very flat at speed on ramps and in twisties, and has a much more precise turn in and feel. On the highway, the floatiness and vagueness is gone at speed, and braking is dramatically flatter in stance, and more balanced and controlled.

With that said, I did some good driving this weekend to the south shore, and mixed in some good back road driving on hilly twisties and highway driving as well. My wife joined me, which is relevant if you're married, as I'd say the car definitely has a high WAF. Overall, I'm very, very pleased with the setup. My only two negatives at this point are that the rake wasn't completely removed (I'm not terribly bothered by this, as the improvement is so substantial, but there's a 0.25" rake left I think), and secondly that I already can tell I need an alignment. I did have some tracking issues during certain speeds on hard corners, and occassionally on different pavement types on the highway. I'll probably get the alignment done later this week when the settlment is most of the way completed.

Here's a quick crappy before and after. Apologies, as this was just a quick cell phone shot, but I think it's illustrative. The before shot includes my winter setup just after I purchased the vehicle in early 2008 (18" Star spoke 189s w/ Nokian rubber) and the after shot is my summer setup - 19" VMR CSL reps with Yokohama S Drives.
If u dont mind how much everything came out with installation? am very interesting in this set up...
__________________
09 e92 335xi Alpine White, Saddle Interior, Sport pkg, Cold pkg, Comfort pkg, Premium pkg, Adactive Headlights, Black Kidney Grill, M3front, Mtech rear, M3side skirts, CF Performance spoiler, Kw v1, 19" M6 Replicas Hankook Ventus v12 evo...
avenger2540 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #32
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
 
AWD Addict's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boston

Posts: 2,463
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
You mean price?

Struts and springs were around $900. Install was $250
AWD Addict is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #33
avenger2540
First Lieutenant
 
avenger2540's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 e92 335i xDrive coupe
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: boston

Posts: 358
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
09 BMW e92 335xi  [3.33]
04 BMW e60i  [2.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
You mean price?

Struts and springs were around $900. Install was $250
no bad.and how low when down?
__________________
09 e92 335xi Alpine White, Saddle Interior, Sport pkg, Cold pkg, Comfort pkg, Premium pkg, Adactive Headlights, Black Kidney Grill, M3front, Mtech rear, M3side skirts, CF Performance spoiler, Kw v1, 19" M6 Replicas Hankook Ventus v12 evo...
avenger2540 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #34
avenger2540
First Lieutenant
 
avenger2540's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 e92 335i xDrive coupe
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: boston

Posts: 358
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
09 BMW e92 335xi  [3.33]
04 BMW e60i  [2.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
I had my 50k mile OE suspension replaced last Friday (2008 335xi), and I thought I'd post up some comments on my new setup. I went with the Bilstein Sport Shocks/Struts + Eibach Prokit Springs based on the reviews here.

The goal was a sportier daily driver setup than OE that left the car much flatter in hard cornering and heavy braking situations, but was not overly stiff on typical Boston roads including potholes and freeze joints. I wanted the car lowered, as the xi's rake is too much for me aesthetically, and generally the car sits too high for a sport coupe. Alternatively, I did not want the "slammed" look, as I'm a professional and use the car for work, and am regularly seen in road meetings with public officials, consultants and financial partners. I also did not want to be constantly scraping on my driveway entrance and other hilly areas I frequent.

Essentially, I wanted the Goldilocks solution to modifying the xi's suspension. Lower, better performing in all areas, but not too much lower, and still comfortable enough to drive my wife around.

The verdict is simply that I think I got exactly what I wanted and hoped for. While the car hasn't completely settled, the stance is much lower and more even front to back (though there is still a small amount of rake). When driving, the car is very flat at speed on ramps and in twisties, and has a much more precise turn in and feel. On the highway, the floatiness and vagueness is gone at speed, and braking is dramatically flatter in stance, and more balanced and controlled.

With that said, I did some good driving this weekend to the south shore, and mixed in some good back road driving on hilly twisties and highway driving as well. My wife joined me, which is relevant if you're married, as I'd say the car definitely has a high WAF. Overall, I'm very, very pleased with the setup. My only two negatives at this point are that the rake wasn't completely removed (I'm not terribly bothered by this, as the improvement is so substantial, but there's a 0.25" rake left I think), and secondly that I already can tell I need an alignment. I did have some tracking issues during certain speeds on hard corners, and occassionally on different pavement types on the highway. I'll probably get the alignment done later this week when the settlment is most of the way completed.

Here's a quick crappy before and after. Apologies, as this was just a quick cell phone shot, but I think it's illustrative. The before shot includes my winter setup just after I purchased the vehicle in early 2008 (18" Star spoke 189s w/ Nokian rubber) and the after shot is my summer setup - 19" VMR CSL reps with Yokohama S Drives.
What is the set up on those new wheels can you post also the offset please am searching for 19 8.5 et35 front and 19 9.5 et40 rear and I dont know if am going to need spacers ?
__________________
09 e92 335xi Alpine White, Saddle Interior, Sport pkg, Cold pkg, Comfort pkg, Premium pkg, Adactive Headlights, Black Kidney Grill, M3front, Mtech rear, M3side skirts, CF Performance spoiler, Kw v1, 19" M6 Replicas Hankook Ventus v12 evo...
avenger2540 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #35
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
 
AWD Addict's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boston

Posts: 2,463
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by avenger2540 View Post
What is the set up on those new wheels can you post also the offset please am searching for 19 8.5 et35 front and 19 9.5 et40 rear and I dont know if am going to need spacers ?
Fronts, 19 x 8.5 - 33 offset.

Rears, 19 x 9.5 - 40 offset.

http://www.velocitymotoring.com/wheels_vb3.html
AWD Addict is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #36
avenger2540
First Lieutenant
 
avenger2540's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 e92 335i xDrive coupe
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: boston

Posts: 358
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
09 BMW e92 335xi  [3.33]
04 BMW e60i  [2.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
Fronts, 19 x 8.5 - 33 offset.

Rears, 19 x 9.5 - 40 offset.

http://www.velocitymotoring.com/wheels_vb3.html
thank u much... they got the v710 very nice wheels also...
__________________
09 e92 335xi Alpine White, Saddle Interior, Sport pkg, Cold pkg, Comfort pkg, Premium pkg, Adactive Headlights, Black Kidney Grill, M3front, Mtech rear, M3side skirts, CF Performance spoiler, Kw v1, 19" M6 Replicas Hankook Ventus v12 evo...
avenger2540 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #37
virtualbong
Lieutenant Colonel
 
virtualbong's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Boston, MA

Posts: 1,538
iTrader: (2)

How low is it now with it being completely settled? Mine went down in the rear a little more and now it's tucked.
__________________
2011 BMW 550i M-Sport (Jet Black/Cinnamon Brown) - 4/30/14 (Current)
2007 BMW 328xi e92 (Jet Black/Coral Red) - PAST
2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (Ivory White/Stone) - PAST
2005 Acura TSX (Obsidian Black/Black) - PAST
1998 Acura Integra (Black/Black) - PAST
virtualbong is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #38
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
 
AWD Addict's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boston

Posts: 2,463
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
I'm not tucked. It looks pretty even front to back, with maybe a 1/4" more gap in the front.

It should be pretty close to settled now, and it's a bit lower than the pictures in the OP.
AWD Addict is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2012, 11:15 PM   #39
E92xiSS
Enlisted Member
 
E92xiSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Montego 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NYC

Posts: 39
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to E92xiSS
same setup here. eibachs with bilsteins sports.

18x8.5 32 front 18x9.5 35 rear.

E92xiSS is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-29-2012, 07:10 AM   #40
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
 
AWD Addict's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boston

Posts: 2,463
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
How long after the install was that shot taken?
AWD Addict is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-29-2012, 07:44 AM   #41
E92xiSS
Enlisted Member
 
E92xiSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Montego 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NYC

Posts: 39
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to E92xiSS
its been a month. i noticed the fronts settling just a bit after 2 weeks. rears are exactly the same from the day one.
E92xiSS is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #42
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
 
AWD Addict's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boston

Posts: 2,463
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
^ Same here. I was wondering if mine looks lower because of the optics of a 19" wheel vs. 18", or if it was just newer.


Car looks great btw.
AWD Addict is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #43
dangeris
Private First Class
 
dangeris's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 e92 328xi
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chalfont Pa

Posts: 195
iTrader: (3)

OK...so I've been debating on droping my car. Did a search for "coilovers + xi" and got this thread. I have an 08 E92xi with stock ZSP suspension: which leads me to my first question. Apologies if the following question sound noob-ish..

Does the xi (328 or 335) come standard with ZSP or was that an option? Is there a ride height difference between the two?

Someone called out a eibach part#. 2092.140 at the top of page 2. I'm assuming that the guys with the 335xi are getting the springs made for the 335i...correct? If so, since I have a 328xi, the eibach spring I should get, respectively, would be 2091.140...right?

As for the Bilstein shocks, are you guys running the shocks made specifically for xi's or are you guys running the shocks made for the "i" to achieve a greater drop?

Thanks in advance guys!..
__________________
2008 e92 328Xi - Daily Driver
M-Tech Lip/ M-side Skirts/ Painted Grille/ 18" LM Reps/ BMS Powerbox/ Koni Sport/ B&G S2 Springs
2008 Nissan Altima Coupe - Show Car
Too many mods to list...
dangeris is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2012, 06:08 PM   #44
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
 
AWD Addict's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boston

Posts: 2,463
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangeris View Post

Does the xi (328 or 335) come standard with ZSP or was that an option? Is there a ride height difference between the two?
ZSP doesn't have any suspension implications on your car. The xi models received all the other sport package options, but the springs and struts. So there is no difference. THe xi sport suspension is effectively the i's regular suspension from a performance standpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangeris View Post
Someone called out a eibach part#. 2092.140 at the top of page 2. I'm assuming that the guys with the 335xi are getting the springs made for the 335i...correct? If so, since I have a 328xi, the eibach spring I should get, respectively, would be 2091.140...right?
You are correct that is the 335i spring. I'm not sure of the 328 part number, but you should be able to confirm that online, or via search on this site very easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangeris View Post
As for the Bilstein shocks, are you guys running the shocks made specifically for xi's or are you guys running the shocks made for the "i" to achieve a greater drop?
Run the shocks for the xi.
AWD Addict is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST