E90Post
 


GTB Performance
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > e92 320d sluggish??



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-21-2012, 07:52 AM   #1
Alan00
New Member
0
Rep
16
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 e92 320d m sport
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dublin, Ireland

iTrader: (0)

e92 320d sluggish??

Hi Guys,

So two weeks ago I changed my car from a 2007 e92 320i m sport to a 2008 e92 320d m sport with only 20,000 miles on the clock.
I was expecting the performance of the D to be far better but I am a little dissapointed to be honest! I think the 320i was quiker!.. could anyone shed some light on why my 320d could be down on power? Has it not been fully run in do you think? OBC says average speed has been 20mph so maybe its still tight from city driving? My dad has a 2009 520d and his seems to have much more shove (both are 177bhp engines).

Thanks in advance,

Alan
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #2
taranonline
Lieutenant
taranonline's Avatar
India
9
Rep
506
Posts

 
Drives: E90 320D 2010
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: India

iTrader: (0)

service it n go to dealer for error codes/checkup.
__________________
2010 320D AW M-Sport - KW V2 - 19" M359
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
Alan00
New Member
0
Rep
16
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 e92 320d m sport
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dublin, Ireland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranonline View Post
service it n go to dealer for error codes/checkup.
I got it from a main dealer and it had just been serviced.. Do you think maybe it still has to loosen up a bit? Maybe I'll just map it! .. Good excuse to anyway
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
ndog14
Banned
United_States
28
Rep
1,746
Posts

 
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (0)

A diesel is slower than the petrol version? Shocking. Are they both NA 2 liters? The diesel will be more torquey but the petrol version will be faster at speed.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
Alan00
New Member
0
Rep
16
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 e92 320d m sport
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dublin, Ireland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndog14 View Post
A diesel is slower than the petrol version? Shocking. Are they both NA 2 liters? The diesel will be more torquey but the petrol version will be faster at speed.
No the diesel should be faster actually.. 177bhp vs 170bhp & 258lb/ft vs 155lb/ft, 0-62mph is 8.1 in petrol & 7.7 in diesel. The diesel is a turbo alright, petrol is NA.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #6
DDS2015
Major
Canada
14
Rep
1,042
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 LCI 328i xdrive
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg/Minneapolis

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but these cars learn the way you drive. With that piece of info, it'll just take time for the car to adjust to you instead of its previous owner. You could probably get around doing that by taking it to the dealer and asking them to reset the learned settings.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
NSFW 335i
Lieutenant
NSFW 335i's Avatar
15
Rep
559
Posts

 
Drives: 08 e92 335i
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ny

iTrader: (7)

b/c the car is sluggish... lol jk
__________________
08 E92 335i AW Coral Red 6MT Fully Loaded|AA DP|BMS DCI|JB4 G5|Milltek full exhaust|SSK|Stett CP|Tial bov|Tinted window|HID Fogs|M3 Front|Mtech Rear|VMR V710|ACS pedals|V1 hardwired|BMW Performance Parts-Shift knob-Boot-E-Brake-SteeringWheel|CF Parts CSL trunk-V35 Hood-ACS roofspoiler|Red Pre-LCIs|Tow hook Plate|Clutch Stop|
<img src=http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd468/dkhan22/no.jpg border=0 alt= />
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 05:50 AM   #8
infidel82
Enlisted Member
infidel82's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
36
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Hi Alan,

-Firstly many of the members of this forum are US based where the 320d isn't sold (to the best of my knowledge)-

I had a 320d E90 in the UK and it was pretty rapid (and had ridiculous milage) I had a 320i as a courtesy car and I would have said that while the in gear acceleration for the 320d was better, the gearing ratio of the 320i (being suited to a petrol torque curve) was overall faster in my subjective opinion.

I would push it hard and then take it to BMW to check for codes. A dyno run would be good also.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 05:36 AM   #9
Alan00
New Member
0
Rep
16
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 e92 320d m sport
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dublin, Ireland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMember View Post
b/c the car is sluggish... lol jk
Trust me if I could have afforded a faster one I would have! Im 22 so my insurance is the equivalent of $3,300 & annual road tax is $1000.. Couple that with $33,000 for the car and I'm pretty stretched! Best option here is to just mod the one I can afford!.. Love the look of the e92 m sport too so nothing else will do really!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 08:07 AM   #10
Alan00
New Member
0
Rep
16
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 e92 320d m sport
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dublin, Ireland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidel82 View Post
Hi Alan,

-Firstly many of the members of this forum are US based where the 320d isn't sold (to the best of my knowledge)-

I had a 320d E90 in the UK and it was pretty rapid (and had ridiculous milage) I had a 320i as a courtesy car and I would have said that while the in gear acceleration for the 320d was better, the gearing ratio of the 320i (being suited to a petrol torque curve) was overall faster in my subjective opinion.

I would push it hard and then take it to BMW to check for codes. A dyno run would be good also.

Since posting this I have pushed it hard, redlining it a few times and I must say there 100% is a difference! The engine feels much 'looser' of that makes sense! Throttle response has improved also.. Maybe the dpf was clogged or something!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #11
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
20
Rep
1,698
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South East

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan00 View Post
Trust me if I could have afforded a faster one I would have! Im 22 so my insurance is the equivalent of $3,300 & annual road tax is $1000.. Couple that with $33,000 for the car and I'm pretty stretched! Best option here is to just mod the one I can afford!.. Love the look of the e92 m sport too so nothing else will do really!
Road tax in ireland is $1000 dollars? whoa.....
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #12
gds52
Major
20
Rep
1,477
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 328i Convertible
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan00 View Post
Since posting this I have pushed it hard, redlining it a few times and I must say there 100% is a difference! The engine feels much 'looser' of that makes sense! Throttle response has improved also.. Maybe the dpf was clogged or something!
Have you been driving Diesel cars before?
I come from a diesel engines background from India. When I switched from petrol to Diesel, diesel was sluggish for me, but then I learned to rip it.
You'll slowly learn to push the diesel engine. Its slow at very initial moments, you need to push some RPMs, but you can feel the torque at lower RPMs as compared to petrol.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #13
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
Dark_Knight_335's Avatar
United_States
155
Rep
10,654
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NY/NJ

iTrader: (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan00 View Post
Trust me if I could have afforded a faster one I would have! Im 22 so my insurance is the equivalent of $3,300 & annual road tax is $1000.. Couple that with $33,000 for the car and I'm pretty stretched! Best option here is to just mod the one I can afford!.. Love the look of the e92 m sport too so nothing else will do really!
Don't sweat the nonsense bro- things are different overseas, no one seems to realize this on this forum

With gas prices as they are over where you are, you can laugh all the way to the bank! Good choice.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
320d, bhp, e92, power

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST