E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Three step audio install on 2011 BMW 335i sedan with Hi-Fi System

03-26-2012, 10:36 PM   #23
nato-main-man-5am
special

Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by redz06 View Post
With the Jehnert 8" speakers in the underseat enclosures and an active crossover at 200 Hz, the bass is not directional, so I put my hand on the underseat speaker grilles to confirm the source of the bass sound. The Jehnerts are doing their job.

I find the sensitivty of the Jehnerts is less than the Morel Ovation II mid and tweeters, so I run considerably more gain into them via my JL 600/6 amp to provide a balanced musical sound. I use the stock underseat grilles and have not found any necessity to remove them for mid-woofer clearance as folks have done with the SWS speakers.

I have not added an 80 Hz low pass filter to the Jehnerts as suggested by the manufacturer. I do not think most folks are running this filter with these speakers, unless they are running subwoofers with very high amplifier power. Nevertheless, it may be a "fair warning" to folks running the Jehnert 8" speakers that this speaker has only a 1" diameter voice coil, wihch can only dissipate so much power, and large amounts of low frequency power will likely eventually destroy the Jehnert speakers( not the way I want it, blame physics).

One other caveat is that the Jehnert underseat mid-woofers have thin stamped-steel frames which may be intolerant of installation forces in comparison to the cast frame competition. Be very careful not to overstress the stamped steel speaker frames during installation for fear of destroying the alignment. between the voice coil and the magnet structure.

'nuf said.
So you use the jlaudio amp to handle high passing the doers at 200 hz and low passing the underseats at 200hz. Other than changing the amp gain, are you doing any additional processing? Time alignment or frequency EQ?
Euro spec wide mirrors; sport wheel + paddles; staggered sport rims with Conti ExtremeContact DW. JL Audio 600/6 + technic harness; Gladen Audio 8" Woofers + musicarnw adapters; Morel Hybrid Ovations. For sale: Msport front & rear sways, springs, & rear struts; OEM 264 staggered sport rims -- the most aggressive OEM rims for the 1 series.
      03-28-2012, 09:18 PM   #24
redz06
Private

Drives: 2011 335i sedan

Jus Sayin'

No time alignment, no frequency EQ, no processing at all. I listened to the JBL MS8 demo and it was tempting, but all that processing is not my style. I am happy with the result and will probably leave it alone.

I turned the gain down a little on the OEM rear deck speakers and they provide fill without intruding. One day I may go ahead and put a pair of the 4 inch Morel coaxial speakers with external crossovers in the rear deck.
Some folks would say that investment would have greatly diminished returns in comparison to the present system.

You probably know by now that I don't like splices in any of my wires. I think the harness/amplifier plug is a great thing to avoid BMW warranty issues though. With no warranty issue (either wait until it is over or just blow it off once BMW finally fixes the HPFP issue), I would have opted for a plugless hardwired system for the wiring from the head unit to the amp, amp crossovers, crossovers to speakers and also the amp to the central ground.

This is not a complaint at all, just a comment about how I would make it better than it is. In particular, putting contact resistances between the amplifier and the speakers just makes it that much harder for the amplifier damping factor to control the speaker transient motions (the music).
redz06 is offline   United_States