E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Misalignment between analog cruise control marker and digital display

01-31-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
AndreyT
Captain

Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Misalignment between analog cruise control marker and digital display

This issue has been reported repeatedly before, but I don't seem to see any conclusive remarks on it and possible resolutions anywhere.

Many E9x cars (as well as, apparently, F30) have this issue with the analog cruise control marker showing about 2 mph less than the current digital curise control speed setting. I.e. if the cruise control is set digitally to 70 mph, the analog marker comes to rest at about 68 mph position. The cruise control typically strives to keep the speedometer needle perfectlly aligned with the analog marker. In other words, if the cruise control is set to 70 mph through digital display, the car insists on maintaining 68 mph instead (per main speedometer).

The car will certainly have an internal adjustment feature, reponsible for proper alignment between the digital and analog displays. Does anyone know where this setting is located and how it is adjusted? Is it a matter of coding? Or is there a more accessible way to adjust it? Does anyone attempt to report this issue to the dealer under warranty? What was their response? Any success in fixing that?

Last edited by AndreyT; 01-31-2014 at 02:15 PM.
AndreyT is offline   United_States
      01-31-2014, 02:21 PM   #2
latino1ny
Lieutenant

Drives: '08 BSM 335i e92

AFAIK it's a 3mph difference. I have noticed it too. For example, if I want to go 80mph (GPS verified) I need to set the digital cruise control to 83mph. If I set cruise control to 80mph, my GPS will show 77mph. Don't quote my exact wording on this, but BMW speedometers read ~3mph high anyways. I'm not exactly sure why, maybe to prevent speeding? I know you CAN get it coded to read correctly though. You can code out the speedometer "correction" so it will show your actual speed. Search the coding section for more info on that.
      01-31-2014, 02:25 PM   #3
latino1ny
Lieutenant

Apparently you have to go into coding and change "BC_V_KORREKTUR" from "aktiv" to "nicht_aktiv" which is the factory speedometer correction.
      01-31-2014, 02:31 PM   #4
AndreyT
Captain

Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by latino1ny View Post
AFAIK it's a 3mph difference. I have noticed it too. For example, if I want to go 80mph (GPS verified) I need to set the digital cruise control to 83mph. If I set cruise control to 80mph, my GPS will show 77mph.
No, no, no, no! This is not what it is about. We all know that GPS typically shows lower speed that the car's speedo. That's understood, that's expected and that is a completely different story.

This issue is not about that at all. This issue is restricted to purely internal speed measurements, as reported by the car speedometer. The issue is that when the digital speedo (i.e. the digital cruise control setting) shows 80 mph, the main analog speedo shows 78 mph. This basically like having two regular (non-GPS) speedometers in your car showing two different speed values. There's no reason for that to be the case.

It is just a matter to tuning the analog CC marker to agree with the digital CC setting. There must be a parameter that controls specifically that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latino1ny View Post
Apparently you have to go into coding and change "BC_V_KORREKTUR" from "aktiv" to "nicht_aktiv" which is the factory speedometer correction.
Again, I don't want my car's speedo to report the actual real-life speed. I'm perfectly fine with it "overreporting" it by 3-4 mph. I don't wan't my speedo to agree with my GPS. This is not an issue.

What I want is my digital speed setting (used by cruise control) to be in agreement with the analog speedometer in my dashboard.

Last edited by AndreyT; 01-31-2014 at 02:47 PM.
AndreyT is offline   United_States
      01-31-2014, 04:11 PM   #5
fravel
Captain

Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
No, no, no, no! This is not what it is about. We all know that GPS typically shows lower speed that the car's speedo. That's understood, that's expected and that is a completely different story.

This issue is not about that at all. This issue is restricted to purely internal speed measurements, as reported by the car speedometer. The issue is that when the digital speedo (i.e. the digital cruise control setting) shows 80 mph, the main analog speedo shows 78 mph. This basically like having two regular (non-GPS) speedometers in your car showing two different speed values. There's no reason for that to be the case.

It is just a matter to tuning the analog CC marker to agree with the digital CC setting. There must be a parameter that controls specifically that.

Again, I don't want my car's speedo to report the actual real-life speed. I'm perfectly fine with it "overreporting" it by 3-4 mph. I don't wan't my speedo to agree with my GPS. This is not an issue.

What I want is my digital speed setting (used by cruise control) to be in agreement with the analog speedometer in my dashboard.
I'd be willing to bet that you'd have better luck trying to recalibrate the analog signal to match the digital readout than you'd have trying to code the digital readout to match the analog. Maybe try pulling your instrument gauge and re-clock the needles?
fravel is offline   United_States
      01-31-2014, 04:25 PM   #6
wwc310
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 335i

Quote:

i have the same issue with mine...but the funny thing is, if you align your head/eyes directly in front, they match up. where the driver typically sits isnt directly center.

JB4 Stage 2
wwc310 is offline   United_States
      02-01-2014, 01:23 PM   #7
latino1ny
Lieutenant

Quote:

Oh, my apologies. I misunderstood. Mine lines up with each other, both digital and analog, so I'm not sure what would cause yours to be off.
      02-01-2014, 01:45 PM   #8
raj55
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E91 2009, 320i

Mine line up too. I have no difference between the digital and analogue.
raj55 is offline   Sweden