E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2 months in as a new e90 owner



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
MrQuickR1
Second Lieutenant
 
MrQuickR1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 328i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NJ

Posts: 284
iTrader: (0)

2 months in as a new e90 owner

The day I test drove it, the dealer said go take your wife with it and have lunch, take your time bla bla bla.
After I came back, I said the hell with it, I'll take it. I told him I noticed some bad hesitation when I take off or go to pass.
He said that's the adaptive transmission, it will adapt to your driving and be gone.
It didn't, and after extensive research on the matter, it's all 3 series. So I researched how to remedy it. I come across the "BMS Power Box"
I get it, install it and as it does give a little more power, the hesitation is still the same. I'm thinking, do I spend more money to make this car driveable? Am I supposed to dump all kinds of money to make it user friendly? This is not something one gets used to, there is a real problem here.
I called BMW service and tell him what can be done cause it is horrible. I'm told they can reset the adaptive trans on it and it should be good. He said most X3's have the same issue. So it's an hour and a half labor bringing it up to ~$200.
Then I'm thinking, cut out that carbon secondary filter in the airbox and drop an AFE filter in. I hear that only helps very little.
It is to the point that after loving this car the first few weeks, I have grown to hate it. I kick myself in the ass for even getting involved.
It seems there is no real remedy for the hesitation/throttle lag that has also been so over talked about for years.
Fly by wire sucks! I have that crap in my R1 and it is garbage. At least on the bike I can adjust the throttle tension, is there anyway maybe to tighten the free play on the BMW? I doubt it, that would be too easy.
My opinion on the BMS Power Box is, it's a joke! Waste of money and hype. I will not say it's great to justify my spending or decision on buying it, straight out, it's a POS garbage.
The truth I ask....Has any of you actually cured the throttle lag with mods or flashes, or resetting the adaptions?
I am tired of throwing money away on false BS that's over hyped.
I need real fixes here. I love the car's handling and glam, but this all show no go is not for me. Any help is greatly appreciated cause I am really pissed that I got myself into a POS car that can't get out of it's own way.
MrQuickR1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
S3RI35
definitely two turbos.
 
S3RI35's Avatar
 
Drives: 09E90 (335i)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Houston

Posts: 1,843
iTrader: (4)

Sorry to hear that. I don't have a fix to your problem, but what you should've done is drive a 335 instead. I'm two months in as well and not regretting it at all!
S3RI35 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
CUTigers
Captain
 
CUTigers's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Atlanta/Lawrenceville

Posts: 859
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 Lexus IS F  [5.00]
2008 e90 335i  [4.50]
Idk what problem this is. My 335 might have some lag of you floor it in regular drive, due to down shifting and such... Now that it is tuned, only went like 2 weeks before i upgraded lol, it is a beast
CUTigers is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
shamu2789
Private First Class
 
shamu2789's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E92 '07
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston/Portland, ME

Posts: 197
iTrader: (0)

I noticed that when I drive in manual the lag is much less noticeable. It is actually funner to drive in that mode, at least for me, which is what I do now. My SA had no fix for the lag issue. Good luck
__________________
Afe Stage 2 Magnum Intake - Custom SS Exhaust - AG M359 Staggered - CF spoiler
shamu2789 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
Kolyan2k
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2006 S2000
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Boston

Posts: 3,918
iTrader: (1)

well 1st of all you cant accept much from N52 and 2nd you made a big mistake and bought AUTO...and BMW uses shitty GM tranny in 328s. It has nothing to do with Fly-by-wire

read up on AA tune I guess. Although I have no idea if its any different from BMS
Kolyan2k is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
bender rodriguez
Major
 
Drives: Audi
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA

Posts: 1,268
iTrader: (0)

I have a manual in my 328i love. Its too bad on how hard it is to find a 6spd and how much it drives up the price.
bender rodriguez is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #7
Dozhdbog
Major
 
Dozhdbog's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hollywood

Posts: 1,407
iTrader: (0)

I drove a 328 for a couple months while my car was getting upgrades done. It was a SULEV, and wasn't quite as peppy as a regular 328i, however, I never, ever, ever noticed lag when pressing the throttle.

My 335i has some weird moments of hesitation, but only when dct/dst is on.
__________________
2011 E90 / Premium Package / Stage 2 PPK / Performance Suspension
Dozhdbog is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #8
ChuckBMW3
Lieutenant
 
ChuckBMW3's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Posts: 422
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuickR1 View Post
The day I test drove it, the dealer said go take your wife with it and have lunch, take your time bla bla bla.
After I came back, I said the hell with it, I'll take it. I told him I noticed some bad hesitation when I take off or go to pass.
He said that's the adaptive transmission, it will adapt to your driving and be gone.
It didn't, and after extensive research on the matter, it's all 3 series. So I researched how to remedy it. I come across the "BMS Power Box"
I get it, install it and as it does give a little more power, the hesitation is still the same. I'm thinking, do I spend more money to make this car driveable? Am I supposed to dump all kinds of money to make it user friendly? This is not something one gets used to, there is a real problem here.
I called BMW service and tell him what can be done cause it is horrible. I'm told they can reset the adaptive trans on it and it should be good. He said most X3's have the same issue. So it's an hour and a half labor bringing it up to ~$200.
Then I'm thinking, cut out that carbon secondary filter in the airbox and drop an AFE filter in. I hear that only helps very little.
It is to the point that after loving this car the first few weeks, I have grown to hate it. I kick myself in the ass for even getting involved.
It seems there is no real remedy for the hesitation/throttle lag that has also been so over talked about for years.
Fly by wire sucks! I have that crap in my R1 and it is garbage. At least on the bike I can adjust the throttle tension, is there anyway maybe to tighten the free play on the BMW? I doubt it, that would be too easy.
My opinion on the BMS Power Box is, it's a joke! Waste of money and hype. I will not say it's great to justify my spending or decision on buying it, straight out, it's a POS garbage.
The truth I ask....Has any of you actually cured the throttle lag with mods or flashes, or resetting the adaptions?
I am tired of throwing money away on false BS that's over hyped.
I need real fixes here. I love the car's handling and glam, but this all show no go is not for me. Any help is greatly appreciated cause I am really pissed that I got myself into a POS car that can't get out of it's own way.
The itself car isn't the problem, it's the POS GM AT BMW put in the 328i. Oh, and I've done all the software updates/reset the "adaptive" transmission, etc etc etc, and nothing has worked. I've learned to live with it. I love everything else about my car, but that said, I will NEVER buy another AT 328.
__________________
e92 335i: Current
e90 328i: Sold 12/7/2013
ChuckBMW3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
brocklanders
Captain
 
brocklanders's Avatar
 
Drives: Mineral white 135i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: houston

Posts: 868
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
i agree, i dont like drive by wire either. but your problem is as stated above, 328 auto. my problem with the drive by wire is when shifting it holds rpm's for a second, which is fine until you gun it to redline. i have a bad habit of staying on the throttle for a split second to long and that makes the rpm's jump. so if i shift close to redline it will kill power. i have never had this problem on any other manual, and this is my second e90 manual and i had the same problem with the last one.
brocklanders is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
phillyfan
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 08 335i 6AT
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NJ

Posts: 44
iTrader: (0)

I know shit about shit about the 328, but have you spoken with BMS? They seem like pretty reputable guys who are very responsive at their forum. I might be talking out of my ass and everyone knows it doesn't work, so if that's the case I apologize. But I'd at least talk to them about it if you haven't.

Good luck.
phillyfan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2012, 10:24 PM   #11
JBE90335
Captain
 
Drives: 2007 E90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 647
iTrader: (0)

Drive the car in "DS mode" and get over it. Sheesh. Also did you adjust the maps on the powerbox? I have it and I think it's a big improvement.
JBE90335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2012, 10:53 PM   #12
90rr
Second Lieutenant
 
90rr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 328i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delray Beach FL

Posts: 282
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAC63 View Post
Drive the car in "DS mode" and get over it.
__________________
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/novak223/jK.jpg
90rr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2012, 10:54 PM   #13
bmwforme
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 11' Camry
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NYC

Posts: 383
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
well 1st of all you cant accept much from N52 and 2nd you made a big mistake and bought AUTO...and BMW uses shitty GM tranny in 328s. It has nothing to do with Fly-by-wire
i WOULD assume the hesitation and leg you are speaking of is kickdown, which almost every car experiences that has most of the power peaking at higher RPMS.

Get a 335, or maybe put it in Steptronic and ride around in 3rd
__________________
19
Brooklyn, NYC
320i...
bmwforme is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2012, 04:30 AM   #14
MrQuickR1
Second Lieutenant
 
MrQuickR1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 328i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NJ

Posts: 284
iTrader: (0)

Thanks, some good and not so good advice but appreciated all around.
I tried DS mode, not crazy about it as I don't feel the need to drive around in sport mode going to work. In DS it's real jerky. Hell I even gunned it and let off the gas and the motor continued revving for a second or 2, almost as if I dropped it into neutral...which I'm not sure that's normal?
I haven't called BMS, I thought to myself it could be a bad box, seems after I reset the map to 0 and back to 3, it feels a little better for a couple of days but than goes back to worse again.

So it appears I would be wasting $200 and inconvenience having the "transmission adaption reset"
Trust me, I would snag a 335, had I known a couple of months ago this nagging problem.
Some have it some don't, makes me think the ones that have it, nobody knows what the problem is and can't fix it so the dealer just says its normal.
MrQuickR1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2012, 07:46 AM   #15
cgpublic
Lieutenant
 
cgpublic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 A3 2.0T Quattro
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brooklyn to Bronxville

Posts: 475
iTrader: (0)

And So It Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuickR1 View Post
The day I test drove it, the dealer said go take your wife with it and have lunch, take your time bla bla bla.
After I came back, I said the hell with it, I'll take it. I told him I noticed some bad hesitation when I take off or go to pass.
Note to self: Bad hesitation during test drive may be indicative of how the car may drive once purchased.
__________________
Present: Audi A3 2.0T Quattro | Scuba Blue
Past: 2011 E90 335 xDrive (March Build) | Deep Sea Blue | Saddle Brown | Brushed Aluminum
Packages & Options: Premium | Sport | Cold Weather | BMW Apps, iDrive & iPod

Past: 2008 E90 328xi | Montego Blue | Dakota Black | Brushed Aluminum
Packages & Options: Premium | Sport | Xenon | CA | Heated Seats | iPod
cgpublic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2012, 08:46 AM   #16
slingxshot
Private First Class
 
Drives: BMW 2014 528i xDrive
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Long island

Posts: 192
iTrader: (0)

I also do feel the hesitation in my 2008 328xi, however I got used to it. It usually happens between 0-20mph, it probably starts off at higher gears. Paddle shifter would solve this problem slightly (which I wish I had it). However, if I want speed all I do is switch to gear 1 and go.

*By the way. I saw a post somewhere on installing paddle shifters... may be its worth it for you? If it is not crazy expensive.
slingxshot is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2012, 09:05 AM   #17
Route 16
I got lei'd
 
Route 16's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 E90 328i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: BayArea

Posts: 4,075
iTrader: (22)

Active autowerke stage 2 flash tune with simon tool.
Route 16 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2012, 09:09 AM   #18
wren57
Major
 
wren57's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Birmingham, AL

Posts: 1,406
iTrader: (8)

Spark plugs?
wren57 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #19
SavvyByNature
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 - 328i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Atlanta

Posts: 280
iTrader: (0)

Get a Eurocharged or AA tune. That'll remedy the issues you are speaking of. Most folks say the Auto 328i is pretty tame, so a good tune will let out a lil bit of the inner beast of the 328.
__________________
Montego Blue Metallic e92 6MT|| BMW Performance SSK Kit || Charcoal Delete w/ K&N Drop-In || CDV Delete || Custom Clutch Stop || (3) Stage Manifold Swap || Stage 2 Eurocharged Tune ()
SavvyByNature is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #20
MrQuickR1
Second Lieutenant
 
MrQuickR1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 328i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NJ

Posts: 284
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wren57 View Post
Spark plugs?
I thought of that too, it couldn't hurt to try huh?
61k on I am going to say original plugs.
I would love to get this car responding instantly to my inputs, the car itself is really nice especially driving down the parkway with the roof open. It transforms me in a way.
Around town or to work which is combo side roads and highway, even slowing down to make the turns onto another street, I'll hit the gas but there is no sweet spot, either no gas or all of the sudden go. I can feel the downshift and it feels as it's stuck in a higher gear when I get back on the gas.
If the carbon filter in the airbox would make a better improvement if I cut that out of there as many others have and drop a better air flowing filter in, if that would help, I am open to trying that.

As far as Active autowerke stage 2 flash tune with simon tool, i honestly don't know what that's about. Dealer or aftermarket thing?
MrQuickR1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #21
Kolyan2k
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2006 S2000
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Boston

Posts: 3,918
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuickR1 View Post
I thought of that too, it couldn't hurt to try huh?
61k on I am going to say original plugs.
I would love to get this car responding instantly to my inputs, the car itself is really nice especially driving down the parkway with the roof open. It transforms me in a way.
Around town or to work which is combo side roads and highway, even slowing down to make the turns onto another street, I'll hit the gas but there is no sweet spot, either no gas or all of the sudden go. I can feel the downshift and it feels as it's stuck in a higher gear when I get back on the gas.
If the carbon filter in the airbox would make a better improvement if I cut that out of there as many others have and drop a better air flowing filter in, if that would help, I am open to trying that.

As far as Active autowerke stage 2 flash tune with simon tool, i honestly don't know what that's about. Dealer or aftermarket thing?
so its a vert ? you are complaining that AUTO + Vert is not responsive ? You do know that vert is extra 465lbs...thats 3900lbs car + your ass combined with GM tranny on N52 engine w/230hp and 200lbs.tq. You should be happy it moves at all.

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 03-28-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Kolyan2k is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2012, 12:39 PM   #22
richpike
Captain
 
Drives: L322 RR, E90 335i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CO - 6500ft ASL

Posts: 662
iTrader: (1)

I would contact BMS - I had the PB on my 330i before I got my 335 and LOVED it - best mod I got. Much more responsive throttle, not really a noticeable increase in power, but totally eliminated the lag. Maybe yours is defective, or maybe it doesn't do as much on the 328i, but I was super happy for $200 on my 330.

Good luck.
Rich
__________________
2010 E90 335i Black Sapphire
COBB/PTF proTUNE/Alpina/BMS Drop-in/PSS/Blizzak

Best Stock 1/4 time = 14.1 @ 99.4 at Bandimere Speedway (DA = 7,400ft ASL; 13.5 @ 103 corrected)
richpike is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:15 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST