E90Post

Bimmertech

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Rear grill/parcel shelf crack/sound fixed

06-13-2007, 03:25 PM   #1
ashecnc
In the delivery business :)

Drives: '06 325i Jet Black/Black

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to ashecnc Send a message via Yahoo to ashecnc
Rear grill/parcel shelf crack/sound fixed

I've listened to the vent/grill below the back glass crack and creak for about a year. It seemed to be getting worse. As soon as sun hit it, it would crack every few seconds, and when the car twisted or cooled down it would crack loudly. I took it to the dealer and they were great. They just went ahead and ordered a new grill, just in case something was wrong with my old one, so my car would not have to be taken apart twice. Here is what my invoice says:

** Customer states rear window vent on package tray is creaking and popping while driving
Cause - Ventilation grille

Fix - test drove car and found noise coming from rear of car near parcel shelf, removed parcel shelf and found that the rear vent guides were defective and causing to rub on the metal and cause noise. Replaced with new rear parcel shelf vent and installed felt tape to prevent noise, assembled car, test drove, noise no longer present.

SO far it's quite, first time in more than a year. He told me they also wrapped felt around the six plastic pieces that hold the vent in place, which was causing the noise. Anyone else had this fix? Good luck!

Born 10/05 '06 325i Jet Black, Black, Sport Package, Xenon's, Heated Seats & Power, Sat. Prep, Rear Spoiler, Chrome Tips, Blacklines, Chrome Grills, 19" M5 wheels NO MORE run flats, drives like a dream now
ashecnc is offline   United_States
      06-13-2007, 06:17 PM   #2
Blackmist90
Registered

Drives: 06 330i

Thank you for posting this fix! I will print this out and take it to my dealership to show them. I've ask them to take a look to see what's creaking back there while the car was in for a different service issue and they said that there was nothing out of ordiinary. I've since suspected that it's the grille that's causing the noise, but was waiting until next service visit to mention it again.

I'm glad to hear of someone else with this issue and to have actually gotten it properly addressed. Thanks again - hopefully, this will motivate the dealership into addressing this problem, finally!
      06-13-2007, 06:19 PM   #3
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise

Drives: circles around you

awesome dude, I remember we were talking about this issue way back when, very nice of you to post an update!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashecnc View Post
I've listened to the vent/grill below the back glass crack and creak for about a year. It seemed to be getting worse. As soon as sun hit it, it would crack every few seconds, and when the car twisted or cooled down it would crack loudly. I took it to the dealer and they were great. They just went ahead and ordered a new grill, just in case something was wrong with my old one, so my car would not have to be taken apart twice. Here is what my invoice says:

** Customer states rear window vent on package tray is creaking and popping while driving
Cause - Ventilation grille

Fix - test drove car and found noise coming from rear of car near parcel shelf, removed parcel shelf and found that the rear vent guides were defective and causing to rub on the metal and cause noise. Replaced with new rear parcel shelf vent and installed felt tape to prevent noise, assembled car, test drove, noise no longer present.

SO far it's quite, first time in more than a year. He told me they also wrapped felt around the six plastic pieces that hold the vent in place, which was causing the noise. Anyone else had this fix? Good luck!
      06-13-2007, 07:17 PM   #4
ashecnc

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmist90 View Post
Thank you for posting this fix! I will print this out and take it to my dealership to show them. I've ask them to take a look to see what's creaking back there while the car was in for a different service issue and they said that there was nothing out of ordiinary. I've since suspected that it's the grille that's causing the noise, but was waiting until next service visit to mention it again.

I'm glad to hear of someone else with this issue and to have actually gotten it properly addressed. Thanks again - hopefully, this will motivate the dealership into addressing this problem, finally!
Good luck, keep us posted, luckily my service guy didn't even question it, they looked at it about 1 minute, pressed on it and heard the snap and ordered the new part. Keep us updated.

Born 10/05 '06 325i Jet Black, Black, Sport Package, Xenon's, Heated Seats & Power, Sat. Prep, Rear Spoiler, Chrome Tips, Blacklines, Chrome Grills, 19" M5 wheels NO MORE run flats, drives like a dream now
      06-13-2007, 07:19 PM   #5
ashecnc

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion View Post
awesome dude, I remember we were talking about this issue way back when, very nice of you to post an update!
lol yea thanks, after I was released from the insane asylum, I knew I had to get this fixed or i'd be back in there... lol just kidding, it did make a huge difference so far. I still get nervous thinking it will return.

06-14-2007, 10:24 AM   #6
oneshare325
Brigadier General

Drives: E90 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Sweet!! I have this same problem!!

Arctic/Gray/Alum/Step/ZPP/ZCW/Xenon Mods: Interior Xenon/Xenesis Fogs/330 Chrome Exhaust Tips/Rear fog light switch/Blacklines/Charcoal filter removal/K&N Drop in Filter/Smoked Vinyl Overlays/Blackout grill/Pearlescent Hand-Brake/Happy Robot Mod/CF Door Pillars/OEM style Trunk spoiler/CF Splitters/Smoked LED Turn Signal
oneshare325 is offline   United_States
      06-14-2007, 10:31 AM   #7
txusa03
Major General

Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

huh, what is rear parcel shelf and rear vent guide? Could someone point to me where exactly are these items? I know it said rear but where exactly are these item located? Is the parcel shelf houses the rear upper deck speakers?
      06-14-2007, 10:41 AM   #8
dr335is
Brigadier General

Drives: GTI

after this, I only have to figure out how to get rid of other 1200 rattle, clicking and popping sounds...
Other than that, all is cool
      06-14-2007, 11:46 AM   #9
montreal_bimmer
Major General

Drives: E90 AW

Garage List
2006 325i  [5.00]
great update.... i have the same problem, gonna try to get some felt tape up on there...

thanks
montreal_bimmer is offline   Italy
      06-14-2007, 12:52 PM   #10
tctic
Major

Drives: BMW E90

Seems like this is a very common problem. I had this too and visited the dealer. They re-adjusted the vents and problem was 70% gone. So I'd have to get them fix it again next time.
tctic is offline   Canada
      06-14-2007, 12:53 PM   #11
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise

Drives: circles around you

tx, it's the piece that meets the back windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post
huh, what is rear parcel shelf and rear vent guide? Could someone point to me where exactly are these items? I know it said rear but where exactly are these item located? Is the parcel shelf houses the rear upper deck speakers?
      06-14-2007, 02:37 PM   #12
ashecnc

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal_bimmer View Post
great update.... i have the same problem, gonna try to get some felt tape up on there...

thanks
They replaced my whole vent with a new one. He said my old one was defective, and had signs of major rubbing on metal. Hopefully it's gone for good!

06-28-2007, 10:10 AM   #13
Blackmist90
Registered

Drives: 06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashecnc View Post
Good luck, keep us posted, luckily my service guy didn't even question it, they looked at it about 1 minute, pressed on it and heard the snap and ordered the new part. Keep us updated.
I was going to try and wait until my next service visit - but the noise is really bothering me more and more. So, I just called my dealership to schedule an appointment for them to look at this in a couple of weeks. I'll come back and let you know how it goes...
      06-30-2007, 03:42 PM   #14
ashecnc

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmist90 View Post
I was going to try and wait until my next service visit - but the noise is really bothering me more and more. So, I just called my dealership to schedule an appointment for them to look at this in a couple of weeks. I'll come back and let you know how it goes...
Let us know, hopefully he'll do the same.

07-21-2007, 08:01 PM   #15
molecule4162
Registered

Drives: 335i

at-home fix

I ended up going through my dealer (at first) and was told "all e90's do this".

Whatever....

So, I removed this vent piece, got some spray adhesive and felt. I used 1"x1" pieces and glued them all over the underside. It's been 2 months now and not a sound.

So, for those that don't get it taken care of with the dealer, here's your solution. Took me at most 1.5 hours which far surpasses the time you'll spend with your dealer making appts. etc.
      07-22-2007, 03:30 AM   #16
billgti
Lieutenant

Drives: 06 BMW 330i

i had this problem early on..in late 2005 perhaps. it got really bad to the point where it would just pop/crack every few seconds even without the car moving, so the dealer couldn't give me the run around. i think they reinstalled the rear parcel shelf and grill and installed felt tape. noise has been gone ever since.
      08-01-2007, 11:00 AM   #17
majdomo
Registered

Drives: 2007 E90 328i

I just had this same issue fixed on my car....essentially had the tech ride in the back of the car while i drove around over some rough road. i finally just e-mailed the service mgr the description from above and they fixed it right up - no noise now!!!
      08-02-2007, 08:05 AM   #18
slick101
Lieutenant

Drives: 07 335i coupe

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by majdomo View Post
I just had this same issue fixed on my car....essentially had the tech ride in the back of the car while i drove around over some rough road. i finally just e-mailed the service mgr the description from above and they fixed it right up - no noise now!!!

cool..
slick101 is offline   United_States
      08-02-2007, 11:20 AM   #19
JIMD1709
Captain

Drives: 2007 328 Coupe Alpine White

My E90 did this as well. Problem was solved by trading it for an E92!

At any rate glad you got it fixed!
      09-03-2007, 10:03 AM   #20
pikkashoe
Major

Drives: 2007 BMW 335 Coupe

JIMD, LOL the E92 does it too. Better find a better solution.
      09-03-2007, 02:42 PM   #21
Ek_1986
Ehs_1986

Drives: BMW 335d

Hey I've got the same problem with the parcel shelf

I find that i am getting cracking noises which is persistant at times.

Where is the vent situated in the back shelf?? Also i was wondering if anyone could help me as to how i would remove my parcel shelf because my seats are not foldable in my 330D.

I was worrying it was just me who had this problem.. Im not sure whether to replace the whole parcel shelf? or if this would not solve the problem....

Ek_1986 is offline   United Kingdom
      07-23-2008, 08:33 AM   #22
tawia
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E90 320d M-Tech/AC Schnitzer

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to tawia
hey, im having major rattle issues im my '06 E90, but i was almost positive it was the rear doors?? Could it be the shelf? Also, its only really bad at like in town speeds, on the open road it hardly makes any noise?

Any chance of some Pic to highlight where to check??
tawia is offline   United Kingdom