E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > SWS8 Sucks...



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-18-2014, 02:51 PM   #1
HeavyMetalRocker
Lieutenant
HeavyMetalRocker's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
521
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E90 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dallas, Texas

iTrader: (0)

SWS8 Sucks...

So I had a blown passenger sub and thought I researched enough to replace it with the SWS8... Well they completely suck and don't really produce much audible sound. Question, who knows what easy to get midbass subs are available that at least sound as good as the oem ones? Or, can you order just the logic 7 sub alone without having to buy the whole box??
__________________
2007 335i e90 6mt | RB Turbo Billet+ 11blade | RB PCV | JB4 G5 | BB e85 Flash | Walbro 255lph | DCI | VRSF CP & Tial BOV | NGK Plugs | HPF Exhaust | VRSF DP's | CxRacing FMIC | Spec 2+ & SSMFW | StopTech Drilled/Slotted Rotors | Hawk Performance Pads | DEFIV Lockdown kit | Mtec V3 angels | Apex PS7s | 35/15% Llumar ceramic
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 03:00 PM   #2
HeavyMetalRocker
Lieutenant
HeavyMetalRocker's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
521
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E90 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dallas, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Soooooo I realize how many people hate these subs as well... where can I buy these Jenherts I keep reading about?
__________________
2007 335i e90 6mt | RB Turbo Billet+ 11blade | RB PCV | JB4 G5 | BB e85 Flash | Walbro 255lph | DCI | VRSF CP & Tial BOV | NGK Plugs | HPF Exhaust | VRSF DP's | CxRacing FMIC | Spec 2+ & SSMFW | StopTech Drilled/Slotted Rotors | Hawk Performance Pads | DEFIV Lockdown kit | Mtec V3 angels | Apex PS7s | 35/15% Llumar ceramic
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 03:04 PM   #3
JazStar740
Private First Class
JazStar740's Avatar
1
Rep
167
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E93 335is/1994 E32 740iL
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wetumpka, AL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetalRocker View Post
So I had a blown passenger sub and thought I researched enough to replace it with the SWS8... Well they completely suck and don't really produce much audible sound. Question, who knows what easy to get midbass subs are available that at least sound as good as the oem ones? Or, can you order just the logic 7 sub alone without having to buy the whole box??
Before switching try switching the positive and negative wires on only one of your SWS8's and see if that changes your sound. I had a similar experience when I first installed mine. I was about to re-install my OEMs before I made the change, now I am very happy with the SWS8s
__________________
2011 E93 335is / BSM / Coral Red / 6MT / NAV / HK L7 / BSW Stage One / SWS8's
1994 E32 740iL / Black / Black
2008 E85 Z4 / Stratus Grey / Dream Red *SOLD* / 2006 E90 325i / Jet Black / Black *SOLD* / 2001 E53 X5 / Silver / Grey *SOLD*
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 03:31 PM   #4
HeavyMetalRocker
Lieutenant
HeavyMetalRocker's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
521
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E90 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dallas, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazStar740
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetalRocker View Post
So I had a blown passenger sub and thought I researched enough to replace it with the SWS8... Well they completely suck and don't really produce much audible sound. Question, who knows what easy to get midbass subs are available that at least sound as good as the oem ones? Or, can you order just the logic 7 sub alone without having to buy the whole box??
Before switching try switching the positive and negative wires on only one of your SWS8's and see if that changes your sound. I had a similar experience when I first installed mine. I was about to re-install my OEMs before I made the change, now I am very happy with the SWS8s
I did while I was doing the original install to see which set up I liked better. Neither set up worked for me. They just don't have the mid punch like the oem do. I should have researched more before buying.
__________________
2007 335i e90 6mt | RB Turbo Billet+ 11blade | RB PCV | JB4 G5 | BB e85 Flash | Walbro 255lph | DCI | VRSF CP & Tial BOV | NGK Plugs | HPF Exhaust | VRSF DP's | CxRacing FMIC | Spec 2+ & SSMFW | StopTech Drilled/Slotted Rotors | Hawk Performance Pads | DEFIV Lockdown kit | Mtec V3 angels | Apex PS7s | 35/15% Llumar ceramic
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 03:39 PM   #5
jeffb335
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
jeffb335's Avatar
6
Rep
470
Posts


 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Your thinking is correct when you say you are now interested in the jehnerts because they have better midbass.....but when you say your sws speakers are "almost inaudible" you obviously have something setup wrong, the most likely thing is what is mentioned above, they are out of phase.

Second thing....are you using an amp? Because you need to..... The stock amp is not going to work well with any of these speaker options, you need more power.
__________________
USE COUPON CODE E90POST AT CHECKOUT TO GET A $50 FORUM DISCOUNT ON THE NEW DYNAVIN N6 UNITS!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 05:10 PM   #6
HeavyMetalRocker
Lieutenant
HeavyMetalRocker's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
521
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E90 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dallas, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb335
Your thinking is correct when you say you are now interested in the jehnerts because they have better midbass.....but when you say your sws speakers are "almost inaudible" you obviously have something setup wrong, the most likely thing is what is mentioned above, they are out of phase.

Second thing....are you using an amp? Because you need to..... The stock amp is not going to work well with any of these speaker options, you need more power.
I used to be huge into car stereo etc... They're installed correctly and in the correct phase. They have decent deep bass while the car is off but my car isn't stereo friendly. Once the engine is on any and all bass they produce is absent to my exhaust. I'm not looking for upgraded amps etc, just wanted a replacement sub for the blown one. Now it's looking as though the $400 tag on the oem unit actually would have been the better choice. I'm completely happy with the oem output (top hifi logic 7) I wanted something worth similar output as the oem subs but really didn't want to drop the $400 on the oem sub/box.
__________________
2007 335i e90 6mt | RB Turbo Billet+ 11blade | RB PCV | JB4 G5 | BB e85 Flash | Walbro 255lph | DCI | VRSF CP & Tial BOV | NGK Plugs | HPF Exhaust | VRSF DP's | CxRacing FMIC | Spec 2+ & SSMFW | StopTech Drilled/Slotted Rotors | Hawk Performance Pads | DEFIV Lockdown kit | Mtec V3 angels | Apex PS7s | 35/15% Llumar ceramic
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 05:23 PM   #7
jeffb335
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
jeffb335's Avatar
6
Rep
470
Posts


 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

understood....yeah, the stock sub is probably your best bet in your situation.

Ive got the jehnerts, great speakers, but Ive also got an amp on them.....pretty sure the stock amp doesnt have enough oomph for them but ill leave that for others to comment on....
__________________
USE COUPON CODE E90POST AT CHECKOUT TO GET A $50 FORUM DISCOUNT ON THE NEW DYNAVIN N6 UNITS!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 06:57 PM   #8
ctuna
Brigadier General
45
Rep
4,322
Posts

 
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca

iTrader: (0)

Stock amps are wimpy

Stock amps are wimpy at least the for Hi Fi and Top Hi fi.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 07:33 PM   #9
gte460z
Private
United_States
2
Rep
77
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 328xi
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

The stock amp can't power the SWS8, you have to either upgrade the amp or get stock speakers. Logic 7 subs are 4 ohm and will also suck with your amp unless you already have a logic 7 system.
__________________
Georgia Tech Graduate, BS in Electrical Engineering
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 08:59 PM   #10
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
kaigoss69's Avatar
United_States
63
Rep
3,079
Posts

 
Drives: '08 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: JAX

iTrader: (5)

Look in FS section, or post a wanted ad. Many people have spares...
__________________
Mobridge DA2 > JBL MS-8 > ARC XDi 600/4 > JBL Gti 408 Mids & Vifa XT19 Tweeters; PG Ti2 1600.5 > Morel HCW-10 & IDMax 15
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 09:12 PM   #11
coloradoe92m3
Banned
6
Rep
497
Posts

 
Drives: m3
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: u.s

iTrader: (0)

No offense but being experienced in car stereos, Id think 75 watts trying to push a subwoofer rated at 150 would obviously disappoint? Turns out even with an amp they suck and lack punchy or any mid bass but they are great dedicated sibs if you had 6.5 inch door speakers or something. But have no mid bass
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 10:24 PM   #12
HeavyMetalRocker
Lieutenant
HeavyMetalRocker's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
521
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E90 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dallas, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoe92m3
No offense but being experienced in car stereos, Id think 75 watts trying to push a subwoofer rated at 150 would obviously disappoint? Turns out even with an amp they suck and lack punchy or any mid bass but they are great dedicated sibs if you had 6.5 inch door speakers or something. But have no mid bass
Yeah man, like I stated, I should have researched more before buying them. I was looking for an inexpensive replacement for my blown speaker. And yeah for someone with the experience in stereos I have (8 years in home theater and car stereo) I should have read the spec sheet more closely. I just happened across all of the positive reviews first and didn't read to far into them as the brand came up numerous times. I've already ordered a used oem at from Turner so that should fix my problem. By all means if I were still into car stereo I would re amp the car and probably replace every speaker plus add some thump in the trunk. Buuuuuuut from the get go I just wanted something close to oem or better than oem.
__________________
2007 335i e90 6mt | RB Turbo Billet+ 11blade | RB PCV | JB4 G5 | BB e85 Flash | Walbro 255lph | DCI | VRSF CP & Tial BOV | NGK Plugs | HPF Exhaust | VRSF DP's | CxRacing FMIC | Spec 2+ & SSMFW | StopTech Drilled/Slotted Rotors | Hawk Performance Pads | DEFIV Lockdown kit | Mtec V3 angels | Apex PS7s | 35/15% Llumar ceramic
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 05:33 AM   #13
pits200
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
33
Rep
1,916
Posts

 
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pittsburgh

iTrader: (0)

If you just got the sws version and not the xi version you cut your wattage in half since you're using the stock sub and its no wonder they suck. As for midbass that is correct they are not built for midbass.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 06:37 AM   #14
bmw325i
Brigadier General
58
Rep
4,474
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United States

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
If you just got the sws version and not the xi version you cut your wattage in half since you're using the stock sub and its no wonder they suck. As for midbass that is correct they are not built for midbass.
Stock logic 7 subs are 4 ohm. If he would have got the 2 ohm version the amp would be clipping.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 10:13 AM   #15
HeavyMetalRocker
Lieutenant
HeavyMetalRocker's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
521
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E90 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dallas, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
If you just got the sws version and not the xi version you cut your wattage in half since you're using the stock sub and its no wonder they suck. As for midbass that is correct they are not built for midbass.
Stock logic 7 subs are 4 ohm. If he would have got the 2 ohm version the amp would be clipping.
+1

Not sure many people realize that the logic 7 (top hifi) system has 4ohm 70 watt subs and not 2ohm. Even in the earthquake manual it says the 2ohm are for factory upgrade... makes me wonder about them not even acknowledging the 4ohm system.
__________________
2007 335i e90 6mt | RB Turbo Billet+ 11blade | RB PCV | JB4 G5 | BB e85 Flash | Walbro 255lph | DCI | VRSF CP & Tial BOV | NGK Plugs | HPF Exhaust | VRSF DP's | CxRacing FMIC | Spec 2+ & SSMFW | StopTech Drilled/Slotted Rotors | Hawk Performance Pads | DEFIV Lockdown kit | Mtec V3 angels | Apex PS7s | 35/15% Llumar ceramic
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 11:07 AM   #16
coloradoe92m3
Banned
6
Rep
497
Posts

 
Drives: m3
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: u.s

iTrader: (0)

I know you don't want to amp but a small amp to drive the OEM woofers with 125w each, will blow your mind. With a bit of power these OEM woofers are extremely high quality midbass woofers
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST