E90Post

Motormavericks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 320i E90 Cold start Drive/Reverse rattle

03-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #1
wilorichie
Registered

Drives: BMW 320i 2008

320i E90 Cold start Drive/Reverse rattle

Hey Guys

I've been reading so many threads on this forum and have learnt quite a bit. There is one thread in particular which seems fairly close to my issue. The OP of that thread said the mechanic thinks the problem is the belt tensioner with this rattle.

I know hardly anything about what is under the bonnet and I wanted to check with you guys, if you think this is the same issue as mine.

When the car is completely cold (hasn't been started for say 8 hours) it will have a rattle while the car is in drive or reverse. In drive it isn't as loud. While in park or neutral, the car purs nicely.

I reverse out the driveway and it rattles really bad. I put it in drive and the rattle is very soft. Once I drive down the road and turn the corner (100m) the rattle is gone and I won't hear it again for the rest of the day.

I uploaded a video here: http://mezmamedia.com/richie/bmw_rattle/

The car is in Park (so no rattle) until 18 seconds when I put it in reverse.

Sorry about the bad video quality, but the audio is good for its purpose.

I really want to be able to go to the mechanics with a good price figure and target issue in mind so I know what to expect.

Thanks heaps guys, I really appreciate any help and advice that you guys are able to give me.

Richie
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
gem029
Registered

Drives: e90 320i

Hi Rickie, I have the exact same noise in my 320i. Mechanic thought because the oil level sensor was reading incorrect and the car was low on oil it was causing the noise. But picked it up with new sensor and full of oil and exact same noise. Have you had any luck fixing yours?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 06:08 AM   #3
Bliss
Private
Australia

Drives: e90

Same issue here! Any luck? Do you also hear maybe like a 1 sec rattle when your at a stop then take off when its warm?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
Spinner2000
Registered

Drives: E90 320iA

Hi Guys,

I have the exact same issue on my 2006-320iA, it rattles quite loud before coming up to speed in D & R when cold.
The mechanic at my local BMW workshop looked at it and thought it could be the timing chain tensioner as this is known to fail, but having it replaced made no difference.
I`m not very keen on starting to shell out more money on a wild goose-chase, so any help is appreciated.

Please let us know if any of you get this sorted.

/Rob
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 06:12 AM   #5
Spinner2000
Registered

Finally got to the bottom of it. The culprit is the alternator belt pulley, it has a reverse slip clutch inside that gets worn out. Replace it and no more noise in D or R when cold.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 07:53 AM   #6
erko
Australia

Drives: 320i M Sport

Garage List
2005 320i  [0.00]
My car is experiencing the same symptoms - would you happen to have the part number of the pulley that needs to be replaced. Any help would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
Spinner2000
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by erko View Post
My car is experiencing the same symptoms - would you happen to have the part number of the pulley that needs to be replaced. Any help would be much appreciated.
The pulley can be different between alternators. You should just do what I did; peel off the plastic cap in front of the pulley, get the bearing number and then google it. Note that you need a special tool to replace it, can be found on ebay or maybe at your local hardware shop... http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_tr...at=0&_from=R40
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 10:55 PM   #8
JK07
Enlisted Member
Australia

Drives: 2007 BMW E90 320i

Hey guys how do i find out what alternator i have without pulling it apart. Vin number is no help with dealer.

Replaced the mechnical tensioner new but still making noise when cold in D or R
Appreciate 0