E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Carbon Cleaning on N54



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #111
egregor
Private
2
Rep
63
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i sedan
Join Date: May 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddycane View Post
I gotta call BS on the dealer for this one

Yes, there was carbon build up and yes the HPFP was probably toast, but saying the cats and the O2 sensors were destroyed due to the carbon build up seems like BS to me.

You should have had them fix the HPFP under the extended warranty program and taken the car home, had an Indy shop do the walnut blasting and I bet it would have run fine.

You could have even sold it privately and gotten more money than the dealer gave you for it. sometimes the problem seems insurmountable at the time or something you don't want to deal with, but if you step back and look at it there can always be another solution.

This and other forums have a wealth of knowledge that the dealers don't have or want to tell you.
I hadn't heard of it happening yet, but I could definitely see cats and O2 sensors being toasted by buildup, in the same way that never changing your air filter will. The car runs overly rich as the result of air starvation which directly effects the life of those components. The part that sucks here is that it wasn't discovered until a ton of other work had been done, which is kind of inexcusable for the dealer considering buildup would have certainly occurred by 90K miles.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 09:42 AM   #112
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
bigdaddycane's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
2,608
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Va

iTrader: (34)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
you would have heard it on the forums prior to this....

Did the Dealer test the 02 sensors? I doubt it...

I had significant build up by 52K......

Most BMW dealers know the carbon build up issues on the N54 motors...
__________________

COBB AP|CP-e|ETS|ER|Forge DVs|KW V1|M3 Sways|BBS CH|BMS|
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 10:55 AM   #113
alex2364
Captain
alex2364's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
710
Posts

 
Drives: F30 335i M Sport
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
At how many miles should this be done? I've search and someone said 30k, others said 50k. I have 32k on mine so I'm wondering if I need it now.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #114
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
bigdaddycane's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
2,608
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Va

iTrader: (34)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
it can't hurt....you will have to do it at some point.
__________________

COBB AP|CP-e|ETS|ER|Forge DVs|KW V1|M3 Sways|BBS CH|BMS|
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #115
alex2364
Captain
alex2364's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
710
Posts

 
Drives: F30 335i M Sport
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
It'll hurt my wallet so I'd rather wait til 40-50k if it's not necessary. Plus I don't know how long I'll be keeping this.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #116
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
bigdaddycane's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
2,608
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Va

iTrader: (34)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
do what I did....take it to Adam (Clem) and have the cleaning done and downpipes installed at the same time.....huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge difference.
__________________

COBB AP|CP-e|ETS|ER|Forge DVs|KW V1|M3 Sways|BBS CH|BMS|
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 09:56 PM   #117
16M3
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
31
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Patrick BMW in Schaumburg, IL
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #118
16M3
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
31
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by egregor View Post
I hadn't heard of it happening yet, but I could definitely see cats and O2 sensors being toasted by buildup, in the same way that never changing your air filter will. The car runs overly rich as the result of air starvation which directly effects the life of those components. The part that sucks here is that it wasn't discovered until a ton of other work had been done, which is kind of inexcusable for the dealer considering buildup would have certainly occurred by 90K miles.
Tell me about it! I miss that car. I will be in the market for a new one next year...but I am thinking, with Direct Injection, I will be carrying out some walnut blasting as preventative maintenance every couple of years...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #119
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
bigdaddycane's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
2,608
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Va

iTrader: (34)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
Quote:
I will be carrying out some walnut blasting as preventative maintenance every couple of years...
yes, as should anyone that owns an N54.
__________________

COBB AP|CP-e|ETS|ER|Forge DVs|KW V1|M3 Sways|BBS CH|BMS|
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #120
Orion4
First Lieutenant
United_States
8
Rep
313
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Melbourne, FL

iTrader: (0)

Is there anyone in the immediate Centreville/Chantilly area that does this at a reasonable price? Almost afraid to ask Sterling BMW what they would charge.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #121
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
bigdaddycane's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
2,608
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Va

iTrader: (34)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion4 View Post
Almost afraid to ask Sterling BMW what they would charge.
don't do it, waste of time....I asked them ~$800
__________________

COBB AP|CP-e|ETS|ER|Forge DVs|KW V1|M3 Sways|BBS CH|BMS|
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #122
Luther@Fleming Automotive
Banned
United_States
3
Rep
220
Posts

 
Drives: 07 E90 BSM
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Hyattsville, MD

iTrader: (0)

Walnut Blasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion4 View Post
Is there anyone in the immediate Centreville/Chantilly area that does this at a reasonable price? Almost afraid to ask Sterling BMW what they would charge.

Were in Hyattsville and did a group cleaning this morning. We started at 9:30 and finished 3 cars by 12. for those of you who want to get this done please contact me. We charge 430 with intake gaskets 400 with out them. Flexible time schedule and we use the BMW specific walnut blaster. Call text or email now to make an appointment.

Luther Fleming
Fleming Automotive
443.336.9521
Luther. Fleming@flemingautomotive.com
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #123
Nightman
Private
United_States
0
Rep
86
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i e93
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleming77 View Post
Were in Hyattsville and did a group cleaning this morning. We started at 9:30 and finished 3 cars by 12. for those of you who want to get this done please contact me. We charge 430 with intake gaskets 400 with out them. Flexible time schedule and we use the BMW specific walnut blaster. Call text or email now to make an appointment.

Luther Fleming
Fleming Automotive
443.336.9521
Luther. Fleming@flemingautomotive.com
I can vouch for Luther. They did my car this morning and I absolutely LOVE the results. I had 80k miles worth of carbon build up on my car and now it starts up and idles sooo smooth!

They did a GREAT job!

Last edited by Nightman; 10-06-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 08:02 AM   #124
Orion4
First Lieutenant
United_States
8
Rep
313
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Melbourne, FL

iTrader: (0)

Now, that's impressive!!!

I will contact Luther today or tomorrow.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #125
Orion4
First Lieutenant
United_States
8
Rep
313
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Melbourne, FL

iTrader: (0)

Luther and Scott did their magic on my 08 335i Sport with 72K on it, Thursday evening. Noticeable difference: smoother idle, rev's smoother, feels as if the power is coming on quicker/cleaner when accelerating. Not sure yet, but appears my gas mileage has improved slightly. Will know more end of this month when I drive to Fl for a couple of weeks. Also wont know for a while, but my water temp gauge is reading about 5-10 degrees cooler the pre-cleaning. Trip will tell more.

Took about 1 hr-15min and about 3/4 of a bag of shells. My Intakes were really nasty. The after picture is lousy, but they all looked factory new when finished.

Thanks to both

Woody
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #126
treyank
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

 
Drives: Stock 335i Sport package
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Manassas, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion4 View Post
Is there anyone in the immediate Centreville/Chantilly area that does this at a reasonable price? Almost afraid to ask Sterling BMW what they would charge.
I've been looking for someone in the Chantilly area as well with no luck. BMW Sterling wants $850! I may just call one of the numbers on this board and drive to MD
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #127
diamondbimmer92
Lieutenant
diamondbimmer92's Avatar
6
Rep
400
Posts

 
Drives: e90 335xi
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by treyank View Post
I've been looking for someone in the Chantilly area as well with no luck. BMW Sterling wants $850! I may just call one of the numbers on this board and drive to MD
Give Luther a call
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #128
Orion4
First Lieutenant
United_States
8
Rep
313
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Melbourne, FL

iTrader: (0)

From my experience I highly recommend Luther and Scott. Very friendly and through. I cant speak to any others as this my only experience.

Woody
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #129
BimmerGuyDC
Private
United_States
2
Rep
60
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 e92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: DC Metro

iTrader: (0)

I finally got around to getting this done a few weeks ago. I had Luther perform the service. We had a few scheduling conflicts at first, but we eventually were able to work out a time. That part could have been better as my time is just as valuable too. As for the cleaning it took about two hours for the job once he got started with minimal work stoppages. I might suggest taking time to figure out a method to keep all of the carbon bits from being blown all over the engine bay and into the cylinder. Initial engine startup was a little rough, but cleared up once free of the walnut shells. Overall, the car runs smoother and I haven't noticed any rough idle. I also did a reset of the adaptations with INPA later that day.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 08:26 AM   #130
Luther@Fleming Automotive
Banned
United_States
3
Rep
220
Posts

 
Drives: 07 E90 BSM
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Hyattsville, MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchuffman1 View Post
I finally got around to getting this done a few weeks ago. I had Luther perform the service. We had a few scheduling conflicts at first, but we eventually were able to work out a time. That part could have been better as my time is just as valuable too. As for the cleaning it took about two hours for the job once he got started with minimal work stoppages. I might suggest taking time to figure out a method to keep all of the carbon bits from being blown all over the engine bay and into the cylinder. Initial engine startup was a little rough, but cleared up once free of the walnut shells. Overall, the car runs smoother and I haven't noticed any rough idle. I also did a reset of the adaptations with INPA later that day.
Thanks for the kind words. I do apologize for the scheduling conflicts. It usually doesn't happen. We also run a US Mail contracting business out of here and I'm responsible for the maintenance of those vehicles as well. Due to a lot of them breaking down I was forced to move things around quite a bit. That is something I will revisit and prevent in the future. The shells getting into the cylinder is no big deal unless there is a lot. The rough start up is normal and has happened on every one we have done. Other then the idle have you checked your gas mileage lately? Has it improved? It was great meeting you and keep us update on how your car is running. Thanks

Luther
Fleming Automotive
443.336.9521
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 07:04 AM   #131
BimmerGuyDC
Private
United_States
2
Rep
60
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 e92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: DC Metro

iTrader: (0)

It's all good. Thanks for letting me check out the before and after of the intake valves. I'm not too sure on the mpg, I think I might have gained one or two. I'll have to check it out on my next long road trip and see if I can average out close to 29 again.
__________________
2007 e92 335i 6MT | Space Gray | M-Tech Rear Bumper | Cobb AP Stage 1+ | AFE Stage 2 with Scoops | ETS FMIC 5" | RB PCV Valve
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #132
FormerRotor
Major
FormerRotor's Avatar
22
Rep
1,466
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MD

iTrader: (4)

I have to do this on my diesel. I want to try to get it done every 50k and I'm sitting at 52 currently. I shot PMs to Clem and Flemming.
__________________

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST