E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > CIC Retrofit - USB Not working

11-16-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
gf3106
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E92 335i N54 Coupe

CIC Retrofit - USB Not working

Hi,

I have a problem with my new CIC retrofit. I had old CCC unit that has now been removed.

Fitted the CIC & CAN emulator harness yesterday, everything is working apart from Bluetooth and front PDC. I can fix this with coding to car, I just need to get my laptop in order for coding again.

Also with the unit, I had the OEM USB cable and connector sent, when I installed the unit I wired this into the glove box. Unfortunately the CIC USB is not reading any files (MP3 Import or Map update) I have tried multiple USB sticks, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB with USB 2.0 and 3.0 FAT32 as primary partition, the light flashes for half a second on the drive and then nothing. I have also tried rebooting the unit, and waiting for the CIC to detect the drive 5mins+

The map updates should be working as the unit is mid 2010 and has the tick in the bottom right of the navigation, you can also make the info bar disappear when pressing the idrive button.

I don't understand why the USB is not working, it clearly has some power, I have also tested the connector with multi-meter and it appears to have no bad pins. When I connect my OBD USB cable to test the red light is ON, so it must have power!! Maybe it is possible the USB cable became loose at the back of the nav, but it was connected properly when it went in, although it was a tight fit at the back due to extra emulator cabling.

Does anyone have any idea why the USB is not working? I can't imagine that coding the unit to the car will have any bearing on the USB functionality?

Thanks
Alex
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 11:47 PM   #2
PichaDis11
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 08 328i

I say get the unit coded first then try again. Even thought you say the unit is from a 2010 it may still need coding.. If so check the cable connections as you said.
      11-18-2014, 02:56 AM   #3
ptpending
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: e91

may be you messed with oem cable because USB port pinout on CIC different than USB port in armrest and combpx and you orderded cable for combox and armrest
      11-18-2014, 07:26 AM   #4
gf3106
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E92 335i N54 Coupe

I will try the coding and see if that helps. I have attached an image of the exact cable that I have, connected in the same way as the photo. Hopefully it is the correct one for the CIC. I thought combox USB also had aux connector built in?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 01:36 PM   #5
climax_e92
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: E92

Code it first.. I just did the cic retro last week. Front USB you can only use for importing music and stuff. You will have to click import music. Mine also showed power but wasn't working until it was coded
Appreciate 0