E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > BMW Transmission LongLife Bullshit



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-25-2017, 01:44 AM   #1
Blueeyesredpanda
Lieutenant
Blueeyesredpanda's Avatar
30
Rep
425
Posts

Drives: E90 / F30
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

BMW Transmission LongLife Bullshit

Here's what Zf says about their maintenance for your AT.

http://www.zf.com/corporate/en_de/af...ange_kits.html

https://www.facebook.com/zfgroup.glo...06323056076988
__________________
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2017, 12:32 AM   #2
STR8-6IX
Colonel
STR8-6IX's Avatar
Canada
265
Rep
2,500
Posts

Drives: RWD 528i N52
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueeyesredpanda View Post
if anyone actually believes that their transmission fluid is lifetime, they honestly deserve to have their box explode at 200K for being so gullible.

same goes with engine oil. that shit shears alot and does not protect your engine very well after 4-5000miles and should be changed around then.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 01:22 AM   #3
Blueeyesredpanda
Lieutenant
Blueeyesredpanda's Avatar
30
Rep
425
Posts

Drives: E90 / F30
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8-6IX View Post
if anyone actually believes that their transmission fluid is lifetime, they honestly deserve to have their box explode at 200K for being so gullible.

same goes with engine oil. that shit shears alot and does not protect your engine very well after 4-5000miles and should be changed around then.
Trust me, alot of ppl here do believe it's lifetime.
Yea still remember BMW told me I only need to change your engine oil ONCE every year at the dealer....
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 10:18 AM   #4
NRigs
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Ma

iTrader: (0)

You should have your transmission fluid changed every 60k miles.
My friend did extensive research and got ZF manufacturer on the phone. They can't believe companies say it lasts forever. The thing is that audi bmw etc don't train the techs to change the trans fluid which is probably the reason they say it lasts forever.

Again, if you have a ZF6 or ZF8 transmission, change that every 60k at your local specialty shop. If you have a direct injection vehicle, go ahead and get a nice walnut blasting at the same time!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 10:45 AM   #5
STR8-6IX
Colonel
STR8-6IX's Avatar
Canada
265
Rep
2,500
Posts

Drives: RWD 528i N52
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRigs View Post
You should have your transmission fluid changed every 60k miles.
My friend did extensive research and got ZF manufacturer on the phone. They can't believe companies say it lasts forever. The thing is that audi bmw etc don't train the techs to change the trans fluid which is probably the reason they say it lasts forever.

Again, if you have a ZF6 or ZF8 transmission, change that every 60k at your local specialty shop. If you have a direct injection vehicle, go ahead and get a nice walnut blasting at the same time!!!
they dont train tech to change your fluid because they want your box to explode. (more $$$ for them)

they offer to do it for ridiculous prices when you ask. its best to just go to a transmission specialty shop.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 10:51 AM   #6
NRigs
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Ma

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8-6IX View Post
they dont train tech to change your fluid because they want your box to explode. (more $$$ for them)

they offer to do it for ridiculous prices when you ask. its best to just go to a transmission specialty shop.
Yes you bring up a good point. They try to take every penny they can from you!
__________________
Current: 2011 BMW 335xi Cobb Stage 1 BMS Intake
Totaled:2014 Audi A4 CTS K04
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 05:02 PM   #7
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
73
Rep
467
Posts

Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Ojai, CA

iTrader: (0)

BMW never claimed the E90 transmission fluid is lifetime. From my '07 service booklet:
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 06:37 PM   #8
Sgop335
Major
Sgop335's Avatar
United_States
175
Rep
1,200
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i Coupe sport pkg
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkasson View Post
BMW never claimed the E90 transmission fluid is lifetime. From my '07 service booklet:
I believe thats a gm transmission if 328
__________________
Space grau metallic / Dakota red leather
Own 93oct tune w MHD, 3rd, 68f
http://www.datazap.me/u/sgop335/3-no...-9-10-11-12-22
370hp, 390lbft virtual dynojet
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 09:22 PM   #9
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
73
Rep
467
Posts

Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Ojai, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgop335 View Post
I believe thats a gm transmission if 328
It's the same booklet for both 328 and 335. BMW recommends 100k for both. GM agrees with 100k, ZF says 60k for the theirs.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2017, 09:37 PM   #10
Sgop335
Major
Sgop335's Avatar
United_States
175
Rep
1,200
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i Coupe sport pkg
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkasson View Post
It's the same booklet for both 328 and 335. BMW recommends 100k for both. GM agrees with 100k, ZF says 60k for the theirs.
Interesting wonder how the lifetime came along. Irrelevant to me since i chg around 50k
__________________
Space grau metallic / Dakota red leather
Own 93oct tune w MHD, 3rd, 68f
http://www.datazap.me/u/sgop335/3-no...-9-10-11-12-22
370hp, 390lbft virtual dynojet
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 10:53 PM   #11
boro92
Second Lieutenant
85
Rep
253
Posts

Drives: audi s4 lol!
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: canada

iTrader: (0)

It actually says in the manual that "lifetime" is 160k miles or some such. So by definition, all fluids need to be changed. Even lifetime ones. I will dig it up and post it.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 12:43 AM   #12
autoart
Captain
43
Rep
964
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i e90 M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: socal

iTrader: (6)

I changed it myself for $121.(I have a post about it). their are dyi's, your trans. will thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 01:12 AM   #13
Blueeyesredpanda
Lieutenant
Blueeyesredpanda's Avatar
30
Rep
425
Posts

Drives: E90 / F30
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoart View Post
I changed it myself for $121.(I have a post about it). their are dyi's, your trans. will thank you!
Just fluid or filter too?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 01:53 AM   #14
autoart
Captain
43
Rep
964
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i e90 M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: socal

iTrader: (6)

Fluid and filter/pan
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 02:20 AM   #15
Blueeyesredpanda
Lieutenant
Blueeyesredpanda's Avatar
30
Rep
425
Posts

Drives: E90 / F30
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoart View Post
Fluid and filter/pan
Where did you buy it from??
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 02:32 AM   #16
autoart
Captain
43
Rep
964
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i e90 M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: socal

iTrader: (6)

just bumped it above this 1
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:21 PM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST