E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Extreme Oil Consumption



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-24-2017, 11:50 AM   #1
Billys325
New Member
Billys325's Avatar
Germany
0
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: BMW e90 325i
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Menden Germany

iTrader: (0)

Extreme Oil Consumption

Hi Guys,

I would like some suggestions on what to look as i am a bit confused with my car.

N52b25 engine with 200km

The car has an extreme oil consumption of 1lt per 600KM.

The weird thing is that the car doesn't have any smoke at all from the exhaust at idle. And i dont see any oil marks where i park the car. I have checked the engine and it seems that it is a little "wet" at the head gasket from the intake side. But nothing too extreme.

I have read many topics about oil consumption here but nothing that extreme.

I will go to measure the compression and i will change also spark plugs by the way.

What steps do you guys suggest to follow and what to look at?

Thanks for any advises in advance!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 12:21 PM   #2
Pavement Molestor
Banned
Pavement Molestor's Avatar
5
Rep
29
Posts

Drives: 2011 528i N52 RWD
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billys325 View Post
Hi Guys,

I would like some suggestions on what to look as i am a bit confused with my car.

N52b25 engine with 200km

The car has an extreme oil consumption of 1lt per 600KM.

The weird thing is that the car doesn't have any smoke at all from the exhaust at idle. And i dont see any oil marks where i park the car. I have checked the engine and it seems that it is a little "wet" at the head gasket from the intake side. But nothing too extreme.

I have read many topics about oil consumption here but nothing that extreme.

I will go to measure the compression and i will change also spark plugs by the way.

What steps do you guys suggest to follow and what to look at?

Thanks for any advises in advance!
valve stem seals (and probably piston rings) are shot.

what oil type and weight are you using?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 12:43 PM   #3
Billys325
New Member
Billys325's Avatar
Germany
0
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: BMW e90 325i
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Menden Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturally Aspirated F10 View Post
valve stem seals (and probably piston rings) are shot.

what oil type and weight are you using?
5w40 Mobil 1 (that is what i am adding every time the warning light comes up)

But if the piston rings or valve seals weren't good i would have seen blue smoke from exhaust which i don't see. :\
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 04:34 PM   #4
Pavement Molestor
Banned
Pavement Molestor's Avatar
5
Rep
29
Posts

Drives: 2011 528i N52 RWD
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billys325 View Post
5w40 Mobil 1 (that is what i am adding every time the warning light comes up)

But if the piston rings or valve seals weren't good i would have seen blue smoke from exhaust which i don't see. :\
true, but 1L every 600KM!!!??? where else can it possibly be going? it is definitely burning.

I would do an oil change with liqui moly 5w40 and then top up with only liqui moly. it will help oil consumption.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 01:21 AM   #5
juld0zer
Captain
163
Rep
776
Posts

Drives: E82 135i 7DCT
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: 2153

iTrader: (0)

Liqui Moly wont cure the oil burning lol

Valve stem seals would smoke out the poor bastard behind you at the lights when you take off lol
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 09:02 AM   #6
KROOKEDking420
Private
2
Rep
57
Posts

Drives: 2007 e92 coupe
Join Date: May 2014
Location: BOSTON

iTrader: (0)

have u dropped down the under carriage tray yet??? I found a small swimming pool in mine when I couldn't find the leak just sayin
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 06:47 PM   #7
mweisdorfer
Colonel
mweisdorfer's Avatar
United_States
249
Rep
2,155
Posts

Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Holly, MI

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billys325 View Post
Hi Guys,

I would like some suggestions on what to look as i am a bit confused with my car.

N52b25 engine with 200km

The car has an extreme oil consumption of 1lt per 600KM.

The weird thing is that the car doesn't have any smoke at all from the exhaust at idle. And i dont see any oil marks where i park the car. I have checked the engine and it seems that it is a little "wet" at the head gasket from the intake side. But nothing too extreme.

I have read many topics about oil consumption here but nothing that extreme.

I will go to measure the compression and i will change also spark plugs by the way.

What steps do you guys suggest to follow and what to look at?

Thanks for any advises in advance!
Do an oil flush

Install motul 300

Install liqui moly Ceratec
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:06 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST