E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Caramel greasey substance under rad cap

03-24-2017, 05:55 AM   #1
Sexy Jesus
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91

Caramel greasey substance under rad cap

hey folks,

We've had our DEC '06 build E91 (Hermann The German) for two weeks now and just gave Hermann his 100k service. Mechs spotted a caramel coloured grease under the coolant bottle lid.
Mech put the fear of a 5-6k trans o/h as a worst case scenario if the leak is coolent into trans, rather than the other way around, but I have read that it could be a gasket.
Thing that bothers me right now is, everyone else has had every other colour goop, but caramel.
I'm not a fan of Wynns products as I think they're serpentine based elixirs that are claimed to cure all automotive ills. But they put in some of their radiator flush to drive for a week or 1000klms and then flush it out, check and refill fresh coolant.
See how that goes and I think I'll have them replace that pesky gasket...

But caramel coloured??

Last edited by Sexy Jesus; 03-24-2017 at 05:58 AM. Reason: I try to take pride in my grammar..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 09:26 AM   #2
Greyfox
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Okay just kind of stabbed at what car you have based on 2006 E91 and looked at it on RealOEM....

That caramel color could be coming from the Oil Filter Housing gasket.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_3867 <-- that was just a stab in the dark.

Put your VIN in on the first page to make sure you get the right gasket and bolts.

Oil and coolant are separated by just a small gasket that is one of the first ones to go in the engine. (Next will be the Valve Cover Gasket and eventually the Pan Gasket)

There is a DIY for the procedure on the DIY board. I even broke down the combination of socket, knuckle and extension combination that makes it a breeze to get all the bolts out.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 02:52 AM   #3
Sexy Jesus
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91

Hey Greyfox,

Thanks for the reply man, I did a YT and general search and alllll the answers point to the OFHG and as my brother pointed out, if it's got an acronym it's got pretty typical !
I've watched a couple of vids and I think the trickiest bit will be that bolt hiding just under the manifold.

Funny you should mention the next victims to gaskitis.... The indie that did the 100k service last week pointed out the pan gasket is a little moist (which should been fixed by the dealer for road worthy).
Castor Rod bushes have failed too.

But right now, oil/water combo.. yyyeah better get that sorted asap.

I'll follow up that link.
Cheers

SJ