E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Voltage Regulator? Battery? Alternator? How To/Diagnosis

04-23-2015, 08:44 AM   #1
Farroar
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi black sapphire

Voltage Regulator? Battery? Alternator? How To/Diagnosis

Hey folks,

I've been searching for info on how to properly diagnose the source of a battery related issue and I've found a lot of info here an there but not much about how to differentiate between the above topics. The Bentley manual doesn't give much info on these items really.

I have been having an issue with my car that has been pretty benign until recently. Really cold day a couple months back I couldn't start my car. It was like -20F. Had it jumped and didn't think much of it. Was sitting in my car having lunch and listening to the radio with engine off... car wouldn't start. Had to get it jumped again. That was a month ago. Now, the car won't start without a booster. All lights power up fine and the little battery icon doesn't even pop up on the display. Just won't start.

So this got me to thinking as the battery isn't that old.

How do I differentiate between alternator, battery, and power regulator?

What are the best ways to test each for correct functionality?

I have the INPA software and can mess with that a bit but wanted to see if I could get some parameters that I need to check.

I did check voltage at the battery when the car was on and off and it seemed to be off of what was listed in the Bentley. That is said to point to a regulator issue but I'm not convinced. So, before I go nuts on replacing parts I'd like to see if there is a good breakdown for each component. Could be a combination I suppose.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 09:12 AM   #2
KeepRidingDirty
Professional Monkey Trainer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farroar View Post
Hey folks,

I've been searching for info on how to properly diagnose the source of a battery related issue and I've found a lot of info here an there but not much about how to differentiate between the above topics. The Bentley manual doesn't give much info on these items really.

I have been having an issue with my car that has been pretty benign until recently. Really cold day a couple months back I couldn't start my car. It was like -20F. Had it jumped and didn't think much of it. Was sitting in my car having lunch and listening to the radio with engine off... car wouldn't start. Had to get it jumped again. That was a month ago. Now, the car won't start without a booster. All lights power up fine and the little battery icon doesn't even pop up on the display. Just won't start.

So this got me to thinking as the battery isn't that old.

How do I differentiate between alternator, battery, and power regulator?

What are the best ways to test each for correct functionality?

I have the INPA software and can mess with that a bit but wanted to see if I could get some parameters that I need to check.

I did check voltage at the battery when the car was on and off and it seemed to be off of what was listed in the Bentley. That is said to point to a regulator issue but I'm not convinced. So, before I go nuts on replacing parts I'd like to see if there is a good breakdown for each component. Could be a combination I suppose.

Thanks!

Sounds like a dead battery. I would throw a battery charger on it overnight. If you have a situation where you can't start it again I would say battery.

You can throw a multi meter on it while running. You should be seeing around 14 volts. If you're seeing 14 volts Your alternator and voltage regulator are fine (voltage regulators are usually built into the alternator, not sure how the IBS works on this car though).

These cars take a lot of voltage and need to have a charger thrown on them once every few months, especially in cold weather.
      04-23-2015, 09:34 AM   #3
Farroar
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi black sapphire

Thanks for the info. So, testing at the battery while running is measuring the voltage that the alternator is putting out? If I were to test the same location while the car is not running, that would show me the output from the battery I'd assume.

If the car is revving to say 2K while testing at the battery, I assume that the 14 volts should maintain? If it does fluctuate does this point to an issue with the alternator?

Lastly, what's IBS?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0