E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Plastidip your window trim chrome and badges

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
AndyR83's Avatar DIY: Plastidip your window trim chrome and badges
AndyR83
04-02-2012
One of the first mods I did to my E92 was swapping out the stock grills (the ones with chrome rings) for a matte black set. This prompted me to paint my lower grills flat black to match, and I continued to swap everything to either body color or flat black. Eventually, the only thing I had left...
By deezofchuck on 05-29-2012, 09:45 AM
nice post - FINALLY got around to doing this over the long weekend. I had some difficulty getting everything totally smooth in some spots - I used the spray technique that Fonzie does in his window trim video (dipyourcar.com) and I don't think it's a good one for beginners like me lol. I have some Lessons Learned following my experience for anyone who tries this:

1) OVERSPRAY - I taped off like the OP but for some reason the overspray carried over ALL over my car - I had a dusting of plastidip on my windows and roof especially - I had to scrub down my car following this install. If you want to have peace of mine I would get some cheap plastic drop cloth and cover the whole car. Yeah it comes off somewhat easy - but make cleaning easier for yourself and prep better.

2) make you you do hit ALL angles of the trim like the OP said - esp the portions on the roof and side where the trim isn't a flat piece of material.

3) I actually taped off on the window itself (and not halfway down the gasket) and let the plastidip peel off at the edge. I think this was easier and it peels easier. Also - you have less chance of ripping off the plastidip from that side.

4) On the bottom portion of the bottom piece - BE CAREFUL when peeling - if you go around like the top portion that has good separation for the plastidip to rip you WILL tear a piece off. Luckily I did this on the driver's side window piece that is smaller and disconnected from the rest of the trim so redoing that section was easy.

5) I have no real solution for under the mirror - if there is a way to take it off that would be easiest - but I have a black car so I am not too worried about getting to the overspray yet.

All in all pretty easy - I put on 5 coats waiting 20 minutes each - and let driver over night before peeling. I live in VA and it's humid as EFF right now so I gave it longer drying time.

Good luck and just take your time! I might redo it all just bc I am unhappy with some of the uneven spots and slight peeling I have already.
By virtualbong on 05-29-2012, 12:11 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
Average 20%
My responses below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezofchuck View Post
1) OVERSPRAY - I taped off like the OP but for some reason the overspray carried over ALL over my car - I had a dusting of plastidip on my windows and roof especially - I had to scrub down my car following this install. If you want to have peace of mine I would get some cheap plastic drop cloth and cover the whole car. Yeah it comes off somewhat easy - but make cleaning easier for yourself and prep better.

Completely agree...I had overspray on the roof area and windshield too. It's not noticeable but you can definitely feel it when you run your hand across the naked areas.

2) make you you do hit ALL angles of the trim like the OP said - esp the portions on the roof and side where the trim isn't a flat piece of material.

My experience with painting my old integra spoked rims was to hit the edges first and then spray the main area. So my technique would be to spray all around the top edge then the inner window edges before going through the main area. That would be considered one spray session...wait 15 minutes and repeat.

3) I actually taped off on the window itself (and not halfway down the gasket) and let the plastidip peel off at the edge. I think this was easier and it peels easier. Also - you have less chance of ripping off the plastidip from that side.

4) On the bottom portion of the bottom piece - BE CAREFUL when peeling - if you go around like the top portion that has good separation for the plastidip to rip you WILL tear a piece off. Luckily I did this on the driver's side window piece that is smaller and disconnected from the rest of the trim so redoing that section was easy.

Completely agree.

5) I have no real solution for under the mirror - if there is a way to take it off that would be easiest - but I have a black car so I am not too worried about getting to the overspray yet.

I sprayed underneath the mirror with no problems. It also peeled pretty easily as well. Just take it slow and make sure you spray all underneath.

My last suggestion to people is definitely leave room from the edges of the trim so that you can a nice wide area to peel with. On the outer edges I went with like a little more than a 1/3 of an inch and I didn't think that was enough. I should have gone with closer to an inch width to make it easier to peel.
By AndyR83 on 06-02-2012, 07:59 AM
Member reviews
80%80%80%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
100%100%100%
Average 93%
Regarding overspray, I got lots of overspray too even though I spent a long time prepping. I strongly recommend buying a clay bar kit and going over the whole car when you're done! You don't have to, but it helps remove any leftovers on your paint that you may have missed during cleanup. I went over the entire car using the clay and a detailer spray, then hit it with the best wax I could find. The end result was out of this world.
By virtualbong on 06-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyR83 View Post
Regarding overspray, I got lots of overspray too even though I spent a long time prepping. I strongly recommend buying a clay bar kit and going over the whole car when you're done! You don't have to, but it helps remove any leftovers on your paint that you may have missed during cleanup. I went over the entire car using the clay and a detailer spray, then hit it with the best wax I could find. The end result was out of this world.
I just realized that I have overspray on my windshield. I read on other forums that Goo Gone and Microfiber towel works great so I'm heading out to Lowes to pick some up. I'll let you guys know how it works. Supposedly it'll work great on the body of the car too.
By AndyR83 on 06-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Member reviews
80%80%80%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
100%100%100%
Average 93%
Yeah, googone does the trick! Just remember you'll have to wax any painted surfaces you use the googone on afterwards.
By import36 on 06-06-2012, 10:09 AM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
as i mentioned in post#9.....i highly advise just spending a couple extra bucks on some plastic drop clothes to cover the entire car while you spray. it took hardly any extra time at all to cover everything up(i used 3 sheets...they were something like 12'x20'...one for the top and one for each side)....and in the end the only cleanup i had to do was peeling off the plastidip from the areas i left exposed around the trim.

Last edited by import36; 06-06-2012 at 10:16 AM. Reason: added pic
By kisho on 06-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Where can I pick up a can of this stuff without having to special order it? I live in MD. Thanks.
By import36 on 06-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisho View Post
Where can I pick up a can of this stuff without having to special order it? I live in MD. Thanks.
i got mine at Home Depot....Lowe's carries it also. you can probably find it at auto parts stores like Auto Zone or Advanced too...
By GRLPWR on 06-10-2012, 08:32 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisho View Post
Home Depot or Lowes. Advance Auto/Auto Zone do not carry it in NC. I've told my stores they need to get on this stuff.
By Alpin3bl4ckbm on 06-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Great job! I just did my wheels, they look awesome in the flat black...
I keep messing up the numbers on the back though
I keep trying to re-do it but I can't get the smal bits out from in between the numbers.
Really want to do that black to.
By Alpin3bl4ckbm on 06-11-2012, 01:47 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
The Drop sheets are a great idea, wish I had thought of that before I taped newspaper to my car when spraying lol. Drop sheets would have been faster to put on and take off lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezofchuck View Post
nice post - FINALLY got around to doing this over the long weekend. I had some difficulty getting everything totally smooth in some spots - I used the spray technique that Fonzie does in his window trim video (dipyourcar.com) and I don't think it's a good one for beginners like me lol. I have some Lessons Learned following my experience for anyone who tries this:

All in all pretty easy - I put on 5 coats waiting 20 minutes each - and let driver over night before peeling. I live in VA and it's humid as EFF right now so I gave it longer drying time.

Good luck and just take your time! I might redo it all just bc I am unhappy with some of the uneven spots and slight peeling I have already.
By EUROE90 on 06-14-2012, 03:04 PM
i took the trim off the car and sprayed, results were very clean, the only part i couldnt get off and didnt wanna mess with it was the trim under the mirror.
By migey330i on 08-11-2012, 02:29 AM
Great! I was thinking of doing something about the trim.

Thanks for the write up!
By iLDs335i on 08-13-2012, 07:32 PM
I also did this after you posted it. But if your not careful with your trim i.e. hanging your arm out the window numerous time will peel it up. Due to it being a edge doesn't help either but besides that it looks awesome and I love it.
By E92BA on 08-17-2012, 03:22 PM
just did it yesterday. the trim came out great except one thing... after I used the goo gone it left these streak marks on the paint & I've washed it & tried to get them off but they won't come off does anyone have any suggestions ?
By trimtab81 on 08-23-2012, 11:18 AM
Member reviews
80%80%80%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
100%100%100%
Average 93%
Does anyone know how well this stuff cleans up after exposed to paste wax? I try to stay clear of trim pieces during a wax job but it always finds its way on there. Curious if it super noticeable like when you get wax on a wiper cowl or other black plastic trim.
By N54 TuNeR on 08-25-2012, 05:03 PM
came out good
By dreidurtyfive on 10-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Question of the day: has any one done this on there E90 sedan? i did it today, looked great had it all cleaned up was rather impressed with my few hours of work and then............ I opened the dorr and EPIC FAIL! it was terrible and i just started laughing!
By Fitz335 on 10-31-2012, 08:45 PM
Member reviews
80%80%80%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
100%100%100%
Average 93%
Just attempted this today.

I like the results from a distance but being the perfectionist I am I might redo it and take a full day making it as flawless as possible.

Also +1 on the drop cloth, my roof and wind shield had a nice layer of over spray. I may not even cover the windows next time, they literally took 2 minutes to rub the overspray off.
Last edited by Fitz335; 10-31-2012 at 08:55 PM.
By AndyR83 on 11-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Member reviews
80%80%80%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
100%100%100%
Average 93%
Looks great!
By CUTigers on 11-20-2012, 03:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreidurtyfive
Question of the day: has any one done this on there E90 sedan? i did it today, looked great had it all cleaned up was rather impressed with my few hours of work and then............ I opened the dorr and EPIC FAIL! it was terrible and i just started laughing!
Ya, I have an e90 and did it. You need to open all of the doors up, cover everything up good and you do it normal. Just takes a little more prep time really. Message me if you haven any questions about it on an e90, I can send pics if need be.
By anthonygxok on 12-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Thanks for this. Will try it out
Comment