E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY - How to remove E91 rear bumper and fit towbar inc. wiring

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
DIY - How to remove E91 rear bumper and fit towbar inc. wiring
Applicable to other models too..
Published by 877
04-03-2012
Post DIY - How to remove E91 rear bumper and fit towbar inc. wiring

Hi all,

Needed to fit a detachable towbar and struggled to find much information, so I thought I would take the time to photograph my efforts

The towbar I used was the Witter BM24CQ (flange type to suit my bike rack).

Direct pdf downloads:
Low res aprox 15MB
Hi-res aprox 50MB

Or NZB for those with usenet access, see attached zipped NZB.

Hope it can help someone..
File Type: zip BMW E91 bumper removal and towbar fitting tutorial.zip (4.2 KB, 845 views)
By raj55 on 10-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
Average 20%
OK, I finally managed to download it and realised what a lot of good work the author has done. Good pictures too. I have two questions.

As I understand, you took switched live connection from the charging socket in the boot and not from the battery directly. Is that correct? Actually, the switched socket is better because it does not drain the battery when the car is shut off.

How did you manage to shut off your reversing/parking sensor when the trailer is attached and the car is in reverse? Is this handleled directly by the small box modulator seen in your photo or did you have to fit in a extra switch to disable the back sensor as required?

Please reply.
Last edited by raj55; 10-05-2013 at 05:07 PM. Reason: had trouble downloading, now solved.
By 877 on 10-06-2013, 05:03 AM
Member reviews
80%80%80%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
80%80%80%
80%80%80%
Average 80%
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj55 View Post
OK, I finally managed to download it and realised what a lot of good work the author has done. Good pictures too. I have two questions.

As I understand, you took switched live connection from the charging socket in the boot and not from the battery directly. Is that correct? Actually, the switched socket is better because it does not drain the battery when the car is shut off.

How did you manage to shut off your reversing/parking sensor when the trailer is attached and the car is in reverse? Is this handleled directly by the small box modulator seen in your photo or did you have to fit in a extra switch to disable the back sensor as required?

Please reply.
Hi glad you found it useful, to answer your questions:

Yes I took it from the switched socket to avoid battery drain, and have had no problems.

I didn't shut off reversing sensors and don't know how, i just ignore the beeping when I am reversing, which is not very often. If there is a way I would be interested, but I would imagine its not easy.

All the best
By raj55 on 10-15-2013, 03:08 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
The best Way to automatically shut off reversing sensor as you reverse with your trailer attached to your towbar is to install a bmw dedicted tow bar electricals. It can be ordered from PF Jones in uk. It costs around 100 pounds. Just three or four connections and you have it.
Comment