E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > E90 Rear Seat Removal

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
E90 Rear Seat Removal
Published by Nic123
05-25-2015
E90 Rear Seat Removal

In my quest to eek out a little more performance on the track from my daily driver, I figured I'd shed some weight by removing the rear seats.
I found a guide somewhere on the forums that got me started but I thought I'd put together my own with a little more detail.

Start by removing the rear bench. It's held in place by 2 clips located under where people sit on the passenger and driver's side, about 1/3 of the way in from each end of the bench.
Grab under the lip at the front of the bench at these locations and pull straight up.
It takes a good tug for the clip to release. Once both clips are released, slide the bench forward and push the seatbelt buckles through the holes
in the bench. Once they're free slide the bench out the door.

Next, remove the bolsters. They're held in place by a clip at the top and a hook at the bottom.
Grab the lip at the very top of each bolster and pull towards the front of the car. Once the clip releases, lift the bolster upwards to take it out.
Not sure if it does this every time but when I took out the bolsters, the white clips holding them in place stayed attached to the car. I tried getting the bolster back on by leaving
the clip attached to the car but it was impossible to line up. You need to remove the clips
by reaching inside them with your fingers and pinching the flexible bit inside while pulling to release them. Once they're off, clip them in place on the back of the bolsters. The plastic where
the clips attach to the bolsters is cut in a particular way so make sure you get the orientation right.

The seat back is the heavy bit. You need to remove 4 torx bolts, one on each end of the seat backs, the other two on the hinge where the seats are split.
Start by folding the seats down and removing the bolts on each end of the seat back with a T50 wrench.
Mine were threadlocked in place so they were a little tougher to remove the first time but they came out without too much fuss.
Once those bolts are out, pull the seat backs towards one side or the other of the vehicle. This pulls the hinge bearing out of place and gives you
a little more room to get a ratchet in there. The two bolts on the hinge are T40 torx and are screwed in towards the driver's side.
Get your ratchet in the seam at the base of the seat. It's pretty tight but by squishing down the leather a bit, the ratchet will go in.
You can only turn your ratchet about 1/10th of a turn but you only need to loosen each bolt a little bit and then you should be able
to unscrew them the rest of the way with your fingers. Once they're out, you can pull the seat backs out. The two sections of the seat
back didn't seem to want to come apart for me so I didn't force the issue and just took both out in one piece but maybe they do?

And voilą! Done!

I weighed each piece and in total you're removing about 65lbs from your car by doing this.
It's not a huge amount but once you get the hang of it, you can do this in about 20 minutes so it's not much of a hassle for the gain.

Hope this helps some of you out.
Tutorial Tools
By katsooba on 05-30-2015, 03:01 PM
63lbs for the entire back seat?? whoa
By Nic123 on 06-02-2015, 01:22 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Yep. The bench was about 13 pounds, the seatback was 46 lbs and the bolster were a couple of pounds each.
By fenixsaint on 06-15-2015, 07:29 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Nice guide nic, very good idea. At least next time I go out to the track I'll have room for my track tires/wheels.

BTW are you going to Calabogie on the 18th?
By Nic123 on 06-15-2015, 08:48 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixsaint View Post
Nice guide nic, very good idea. At least next time I go out to the track I'll have room for my track tires/wheels.

BTW are you going to Calabogie on the 18th?
Heck yeah! See you there!
Comment