E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E92 xi as winter car - great, but...

04-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
PTinVT
armchair enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07 328xi, 02 325Cic

E92 xi as winter car - great, but...

I wanted xi for winter, and my car has been a fantastic winter DRIVER. With DTC, snows, manual tranny, and RWD bias, I drive with confidence and the weather is rarely a factor in my decision to go anywhere. I love my car and enjoy it on a daily basis. The car has disappointed only on a few minor items, but it just dawned on me they're only/more a problem in winter!

- My stock suspension makes a horrible "crunch"/grind noise when I hit a big bump, like the small speed bumps we have up around here before some pedestrian crossings. It only does this when it's very cold out (20s or colder), never when warm.

- Steering wheel groan, steering column rubbing against the gasket/dust cover, only happens in the cold, 30s or lower, never when warm. When it's been parked for a while and it's in the single digits, the groan turns into a piercing whine. [This started under warranty, they "moved the dust cap" under warranty, there's a service bulletin for it - this made it worse. no warranty now]

- Automatic wipers, which are marginal at best in the rain, can really get confused by snow.

- Factory winter floor mats gets snagged by the clutch when I let it up (and the anchor points are not the same as the summer mats, you have to make your own hole).

- Factory 17s were easily bent by potholes. I expect that from 18s/19s, but not 17s! Same us true for the Rial 17s I replaced them with, but what do you want for $110 each... My VMR 710 18s seem to have stayed straight, and while there are fewer potholes in the summer, they are not absent.

I think my car just wants to be somewhere warm. I can't blame it.
71 Buick Riviera, 455 V8 land yacht
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
doubleIN
atlien
Rep

Drives: '11 e90 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [4.25]
do you have any pics of your 850ci?
      04-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #3
rbocc13
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 08 Black 328xi coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW 328 xi  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to rbocc13
something about the winter my car just seems to stiffen up and you can hear it when u drive. The back glass makes a noise when its real cold and you hear a lot more rattles IMO. I feel like the Audi i had was a lot more winter/snow friendly, the quattro and how it reacted in cold weather. Left it buried in a blizzard for 3-4 days cleaned snow off part of it started it and plowed through the rest of the snow without a problem. My friend has a 02 330ci and he says his gives or feels a lot better with higher temps also.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
ndog14
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 328xi 6MT

My E90 only drove once in the 'snow' (slush) this winter. I just happened to not need to go anywhere when it was snowing. I do notice, even my friends with their bimmers, BMWs are very temperamental to the temperature. On mine the steering is lighter than in warm weather.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
FCBuff
Enthusiast
Rep

Drives: '11 335 Xdrive, Msport 6mt

Have E53 X5 and E91 XI. Drive both all winter long in colorado, including mountain/ski trips etc. No problems, no whining belts, no issues whatsoever...Don't know what you guys are complaining about?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
gunnerxq
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: e90 "325i"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndog14 View Post
My E90 only drove once in the 'snow' (slush) this winter. I just happened to not need to go anywhere when it was snowing. I do notice, even my friends with their bimmers, BMWs are very temperamental to the temperature. On mine the steering is lighter than in warm weather.
True but I like how there is more resistance when shifting in the cold. It's like the cold makes the shift knob heavier.
      04-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
Michael Schott
Major
Rep

Drives: 2011 328i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
True but I like how there is more resistance when shifting in the cold. It's like the cold makes the shift knob heavier.
This should only happen first thing until the transmission fluid warms up.

Last edited by Michael Schott; 04-09-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
williewonkerz
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
- Automatic wipers, which are marginal at best in the rain, can really get confused by snow.
Omg, I know, in particular, when its sleeting or freezing rain. If you don't have the windsheild/defrost high enough, the rain will freeze and the wipers will go bonkers.

Quote:
- Factory winter floor mats gets snagged by the clutch when I let it up (and the anchor points are not the same as the summer mats, you have to make your own hole).
I have the same problem, you have to move the mat closer to the seat. I have newer weathertech mats, much better.

I can honestly say, the XDrive is much better with a manual versus an auto(my last was auto). I found the tranny and winter driving was fine only if you drove like a granny. I love manual for the winter alone (HOLD 2ND GEAR BIATCH!).
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #9
Kafer
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTinVT View Post
- My stock suspension makes a horrible "crunch"/grind noise when I hit a big bump, like the small speed bumps we have up around here before some pedestrian crossings. It only does this when it's very cold out (20s or colder), never when warm.
This is a common problem. Front bushings harden in the cold weather and sound horrible over speed bumps. I had this on both of my E90's and about a month ago they replaced them with a revised part. Sounds and feels wonderful now!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #10
PTinVT
armchair enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07 328xi, 02 325Cic

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleIN View Post
do you have any pics of your 850ci?
Funny you should ask, I just got it out of storage today. I didn't get it to where I wanted (suspension, wheels/tires) until the season was almost over last year so I don't have a gallery or anything (yet) - but here's one on this forum.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=24

I'm guessing the 850 would make a lousy winter car

Quote:
Originally Posted by williewonkerz View Post
I have the same problem, you have to move the mat closer to the seat. I have newer weathertech mats, much better.
Mine are from 2009, not sure who made them, but they're already as far back as I can get them with the accelerator/notch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafer View Post
This is a common problem. Front bushings harden in the cold weather and sound horrible over speed bumps. I had this on both of my E90's and about a month ago they replaced them with a revised part. Sounds and feels wonderful now!
Thanks for the info, I never looked into this.
71 Buick Riviera, 455 V8 land yacht
Appreciate 0