E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Radio defaults to 87.7 at startup

04-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
liborio
GuidoDoc

Drives: himself crazy

Garage List
Radio defaults to 87.7 at startup

I've got a 2011 with idrive and the radio acts kind of crazy when I start the car. Regardless of what source I used the last time I was in the car when I get in the next time it will go to 87.7, blaring static. Same key fob, no comfort access, the presets are still stored properly. It also isn't every time. Maybe every other or so. Seems more likely to happen if I push the start stop quickly after inserting the key. Any thoughts? Anyone else seen this?
      04-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
///M_Power
BBS Fanatic

Drives: 11 BSM 328i xDrive

maybe try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes and then re-installing it..

"disclaimer" -- this will reset almost everything you had programed.. including your transmission controller, but that may be a good thing if you dont like the way it has adapted to your driving style.
///M_Power is offline   United_States
      04-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #3
EYE4SPEED
Ex-Quattro Driver

Drives: E90 335d M-Sport LCI

Mine did that for a while when I took my car out of storage. Had it on a float charger all winter. After a week, stopped happening?

Another funny thing - I thought my car had DST for the clock. Turns out I stored it early enough last year and it didn't come out of storage until after we changed our clocks. Or does it have DST?
      08-24-2013, 03:51 AM   #4
LeetPete
Registered

Drives: 2012 335i Coupe

Same thing happens to me with my 335i with comfort access. Defaults to 87.7 which is a Spanish station. Totally random. Same key fob. Told the dealer about it, but they said the electrical test came back normal and they couldn't find anything about it in their system. It's minor, but still pretty annoying...
      08-24-2013, 06:12 AM   #5
cdgatti
Major

Drives: e90 328i

German gremlins... the main problem with these cars... Just ask any BMW, VW, Audi or MB owner.
      09-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
liborio
GuidoDoc

Drives: himself crazy

Garage List
Think I finally figured it out. I don't have comfort access so battery in FOB is recharged in socket. I drive a lot of short distances and it doesn't charge long. So the next time I get in if I hit START before the FOB gets juiced up a bit in socket its battery dies and the presets are lost. Solution (honestly) : I put the FOB in, then seat belt on, then START. that keeps if from happening. If I push START right after putting FOB in, no good. Silly but solved.