E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Advice on options

06-16-2007, 10:25 AM   #1
mjh93sa
Major General
England
Rep

Drives: M135i

Garage List
Advice on options

As I have been threatening for almost 2 years it's time to change the E46 for an E9x.

Currently I thinking of a 320d / 325d / 330d MSport Touring (manual) and whilst leather and Xenons are a pre-requisite I would invite comments and opinions on some of the other options available. Specifically:

Adaptive control for the Xenons
Active Cruise Control
High Beam Assistant
DAB Radio
HiFi / Logic 7
6FL USB
Seat Heating
NavPro and voice control
...and anything else that you can't live without anymore

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman
Now: M135i with lots of toys
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 10:52 AM   #2
thearchitect
Rep

Drives: E92 325i SE - Monaco Blue

hi nice choice, what colours were you thinking of?

IMHO heated seats are a must - i never really thought i'd use them much, but they're on a lot of the time! Same really with the voice control, i expected it to be a bit of a pointless gadget, but i use that all the time as well. Are you thinking about bluetooth?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 11:05 AM   #3
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: MY12 Range Rover Sport HSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh93sa View Post
As I have been threatening for almost 2 years it's time to change the E46 for an E9x.

Currently I thinking of a 320d / 325d / 330d MSport Touring (manual) and whilst leather and Xenons are a pre-requisite I would invite comments and opinions on some of the other options available. Specifically:

Active Cruise Control
High Beam Assistant
DAB Radio
HiFi / Logic 7
6FL USB
Seat Heating
NavPro and voice control
My thoughts:

Adaptive Lights - personal choice but depends on where you drive. If its mostly motorways there is no point cos there aint many sharp bends, but if it many A roads and country roads it could be useful - a 245 option I think.

Active Cruise - IMHO not worth it at 600. Normal cruise can just about be used on our congested roads when it is relatively quiet. I think with Active Cruise you would almost become detached from the driving experience. The driver may as well be a robot!

HBA - Worth the 95 I think. Bit of a gadget but it is good from a road safety perspective.

DAB Radio and uprated speaker system - If you are a music and radio buff I would go for these. If I was buying brand new DAB would definately be on the options list. I would want to be a serious music buff though to justify the 820 on LOGIC 7. If thats your thing, go for it.

Likewise, 6FL USB. Having read these threads it is worth it instead of the ubiquitous 6CD! Cheaper as well, and with the saving over the 6CD you can buy an iPod.

Seat heating - Defo in a convertible but not worth spending extra on in a E90/E91/E92 IMHO.

SatNav/BT/Voice - 2500 option, I would and am convinced it makes the car more attractive come trade in. Bigger engined beamers demand this for resale IMHO. Not Business Nav - I had this in my E60 530i, OK but no pictures!

Others to consider - Sunroof maybe? And of course big alloys if its not an M Sport.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 11:06 AM   #4
mjh93sa
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Colour is more than likely to be TiAg with black leather. A bit unimaginative but I like it

Bluetooth is a fairly probable. The E46 has it, and whilst I don't use it that much it's a nice feature when you do want to use it.

The Logic7 does seem pricey - but the HK Logic7 system at home is damn good so it has me thinking.

Sunroofs are just not my thing so that's one option straight off the list.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 11:13 AM   #5
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
You've gotta have the heated seats.

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 11:24 AM   #6
BC4J
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
2007 E90 335d  [0.00]
Quote:

Active Cruise Control
High Beam Assistant
DAB Radio
HiFi / Logic 7
6FL USB
Seat Heating
NavPro and voice control

Don't forget TV! When work's a chore you can head for the car and watch telly instead. Cool.
:rocks:
      06-16-2007, 11:42 AM   #7
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep

Drives: Audi

Logic 7 or at least hi-fi a must,also have a look @ comfort access its an exspensive toy,but well cool my friend- i think the spec choosing is the best part of any purchase ENJOY
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 12:47 PM   #8
mjh93sa
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC4J View Post
Don't forget TV! When work's a chore you can head for the car and watch telly instead. Cool.
:rocks:
I wish. I think I'll stick to "The Ultimate Driving Machine" rather than "The Ultimate Armchair."

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezebm View Post
Logic 7 or at least hi-fi a must,also have a look @ comfort access its an exspensive toy,but well cool my friend- i think the spec choosing is the best part of any purchase ENJOY
Comfort access seems to be an expensive toy that isn't really necessary (but then aren't they all ). I'm warming to the idea of at least the HiFi system, but the Logic7 seems to be a bit steep, especially as the standard system in my E46 has been good enough.

Toying with the spec is great... but the BMW car configurator has decided to go down for maintenance this weekend.

decisions, decisions...

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 01:23 PM   #9
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Send a message via Yahoo to SoYank Send a message via Skype™ to SoYank
Active Cruise Control has three strikes against it:
1. It's expensive
2. If it is bumped or otherwise gets out of alignment it's expensive.
3. Do you REALLY want to trust your life and car to an electronic sensor?

Heated seats on the other hand are pretty much a must. I don't know what I've done without them all these years. Well, yes I do...I froze.

Color? Come on, Matt, be creative! You've seen UK1, UK2, UK3. Three fourth of the cars there were silver or black. Montego Blue is fantanstic.
Quaife ATB LSD Short Shift Knob Hartge Anti-Roll Bars AP Racing Front Brakes 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 01:31 PM   #10
robrob
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: E90 335d M Sport

Garage List
I have to say that the one option I have been really pleased with and would miss immediately if I didn't have it, is the DAB radio. If you spend a lot of time in the car and love music/talk radio, it's fantastic. I've got 12 favourites stored, from Chill to Kerrang, and I can always find something worth listening to.

I think bluetooth is becoming a bit of a default choice these days - so many people choose these cars for business. It may help with resale if you're bothered by that.

I also reckon the loudspeaker upgrade is pretty good. I had the full HK in my E46 330cd, and even with just the speaker upgrade on the 335d, (i.e. not Logic7), I'm not finding too much difference. Some of the DAB channels in particular sound fantastic at volume.

I also got heated seats this time after not having them in the E46. I'd had them in my TT before that and thought I'd missed them. In fact, I haven't really. It may have been because this winter was pretty mild here in Scotland. Tho' my wife is pleased again - she's got it on low almost all the time.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 02:36 PM   #11
BC4J
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
Active Cruise Control has three strikes against it:
1. It's expensive
2. If it is bumped or otherwise gets out of alignment it's expensive.
3. Do you REALLY want to trust your life and car to an electronic sensor?

Heated seats on the other hand are pretty much a must. I don't know what I've done without them all these years. Well, yes I do...I froze.

Color? Come on, Matt, be creative! You've seen UK1, UK2, UK3. Three fourth of the cars there were silver or black. Montego Blue is fantanstic.
Active Cruise may be expensive but if someone goes in front after cutting you up, you switch it on and zap them with the radar. If some of the latest research on adverse health effects from wi-fi, mobile and the like is right, you ain't gonna half feel better making 'em fry!
      06-16-2007, 02:53 PM   #12
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Active Cruise Control
High Beam Assistant
DAB Radio
HiFi / Logic 7
6FL USB
Seat Heating
NavPro and voice control
Matt,

If it were me, I would forget Adaptive control for the Xenons; Active Cruise Control; and High Beam Assistant...

And get at 18" alloys as a minimum. Nice rims make a big big difference.

The rest sounds awesome.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 04:00 PM   #13
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Send a message via Yahoo to SoYank Send a message via Skype™ to SoYank
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC4J View Post
Active Cruise may be expensive but if someone goes in front after cutting you up, you switch it on and zap them with the radar. If some of the latest research on adverse health effects from wi-fi, mobile and the like is right, you ain't gonna half feel better making 'em fry!
The trouble with that argument is the nature of RADAR. What goes out bounces back.
Quaife ATB LSD Short Shift Knob Hartge Anti-Roll Bars AP Racing Front Brakes 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 04:06 PM   #14
zimbim
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 e350 Sport  [0.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
keyless go is awesome. I'll never take my keys out of my pocket again (except when I'm home, of course).
Don't have adaptive cruise and don't miss it.
Voice control is a must
Gotta have sport package. The seats are great.
      06-16-2007, 06:11 PM   #15
BC4J
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
The trouble with that argument is the nature of RADAR. What goes out bounces back.
back bounces out goes What. RADAR of nature the is argument that with trouble The.

Jeez, you're right it DOES! Damn, my cunning plan foiled.

Looks like I'll have to go for the sunroof and chuck things at them as they go by.
      06-16-2007, 06:58 PM   #16
mjh93sa
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well I'm test driving an E91 with butt warmers next week so I'll see how toasty they are. I guess the weather might have cooled by then.

Quote:
Very true, but there aren't many choices in metallic for the MSport:
Black Sapphire = Diffcult to keep clean.
Sparkling Graphite = Nice but too dark for me.
LeMans Blue = The common choice for MSports? (ducks)
Titanium Silver =

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauforty View Post
Matt,

If it were me, I would forget Adaptive control for the Xenons; Active Cruise Control; and High Beam Assistant...

The rest sounds awesome.
18" comes as standard on the six cylinder MSports

At the moment, subject to the sort of deal I can squeeze out I'm hoping it'll be along the lines of:
NavPro with voice and BT
HiFi
USB
Xenons
PDC all around
Blacklines
.... then it gets a bit vague and deal dependant, but in the running is:
Heated Seats
Active Cruise
Highbeam Assist
Electric wing mirror fold
DAB

By contrast if you look at the 1series and that's a case of just choosing which packs you want to put on it. As the 3 is the volume seller they screw you for every penny.

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 04:37 AM   #17
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Sounds good Matt... go for it!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 07:00 AM   #18
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 335i m-sport LCI

Quote:

Active Cruise Control
High Beam Assistant
DAB Radio
HiFi / Logic 7
6FL USB
Seat Heating
NavPro and voice control
My personal approach is get the best engine you can - in this case the 330d - then only get the peripheral kit if you have any money left.

The BMW options list can seriously affect your wealth.

6FL and HiFi spealers would be money well spent - as would be bluetooth voice and nav.

DAB radio only if you a big cricket fan (or similar)

Seat heating, high beam assist and active cruise control are totally non essential ... personally - I say spend the money on the important bit - the engine.

This is why my spec is so simple:

BMW 330i msport + bluetooth + nav + split fold seats
      06-17-2007, 07:09 AM   #19
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 335i m-sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauforty View Post
Which come free with the 330d
      06-17-2007, 08:01 AM   #20
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
6FL and HiFi spealers would be money well spent - as would be bluetooth voice and nav.
Am I missing the point of the iPod connection in the armrest? If you have an iPod/MP3 player connected through to the HiFi then what is the point of the USB connection? Does it give you something that the Aux input doesn't, like greater functionality through the iDrive screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
BMW 330i msport + bluetooth + nav + split fold seats
I think you also need to add metallic (free of course on the 330/335) and Leather is a MUST
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 08:34 AM   #21
Oli
Campervan man
Rep

Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

The jack plug doesnt give you full integration and doesn't charge the Ipod, whereas if you have the USB, you can fully control it via the stereo or Idrive - A must option on a car these days with the way music is going.

Other must have options for the current climate of car ownership are; DAB (EVERYTHING IS GOING DIGITAL), bluetooth, heated seats, and Nav
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 08:47 AM   #22
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliH View Post
The jack plug doesnt give you full integration and doesn't charge the Ipod, whereas if you have the USB, you can fully control it via the stereo or Idrive - A must option on a car these days with the way music is going.

Other must have options for the current climate of car ownership are; DAB (EVERYTHING IS GOING DIGITAL), bluetooth, heated seats, and Nav
Sorry stupid question Number 2! From someone who doesn't (yet) own an MP3/iPod. Can you connect most MP3 players to the USB port in lieu of the Aux socket? And, therefore, I assume it charges the player via USB, negating the need for a separate charger to the cigarette lighter socket? - Told you it was a dumb question

PS. Anyone wanna buy some LP's and Cassettes that I have in the loft?
Appreciate 0