E90Post

Horizon LED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Pedalbox from DTUK Review - Throttle Mod

04-08-2012, 05:37 AM   #1
GesterOz
Australia
Rep

Drives: MY10.5 E90 320D

Thumbs up Pedalbox from DTUK Review - Throttle Mod

Well thought I would contribute something back and that is a bit of a review of the Pedalbox from DTUK (Same place that sells the CRD-T) at http://www.pedalbox.com

First up as others might have read in my other posts, I've had a few issues with the CRD-T so far and its now removed and I'm pretty hesitant to put it back in. While I decide what to do with it I thought I may as well try the PedalBox that I ordered alongside with it.

Now there are NO specific instructions on how to install device this apart from "Connect it between your accelerator cables". That means nothing to someone who only knows how to check the oil and fluid levels in a car

I did come across this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YijIb0BRnY8 that shows the same type of accelerator pedal that is in the E90 3 Series. Basically it is very very easy to install! I've run the cable under the car mat and left the controller under the seat for now.

Now for the good bits.... testing it! The crappy instructions that DO come with it say not to change programs while accelerating (it comes with 3). There is ON/OFF(disabled), Eco, Sport and Sport+. I started off with Sport mode and instantly it is a massive difference. Far far more noticeable "change" compared with the CRD-T. Mind you this could be how I drive, at slow speeds under 80kph I would never floor it or press the pedal down very far so I knew this device would suit my driving style really well, which is city driving where you dont get a chance often to open the throttle fully.

Zig-zagging through my estate and the response from the pedal is just awesome. It makes spirited driving at low speeds really really fun now. Combined with the great low down torque from the diesel, this is a winning combo!

I pull over and decide to try Sport+ mode. Wow! Now the pedal really needs to be hardly pressed to have immediate traction breaking power. I make the 5 min journey out to the closest highway and the car has suddenly become super super fun

Basically the current fuel use gauge on the dash is hitting 15-20L quite frequently but I dont care! It's well worth the extra cost of fuel if it's always like this (which is still less usage then a petrol car! hehe)

Now on the highway the device does seem a bit useless or not really noticeable, but certainly once you get back in lower speed areas it is just awesome. I decide to leave the PedalBox on Sport mode and am pumped to finally have something installed that was easy and actually really noticeable

I completely agree that a big part of this is just smoke and mirrors by making the throttle more responsive but really, for those thinking between the CRD-T and the Pedalbox I would choose the Pedalbox definitely! However I am yet to have a proper experience with the CRD-T so will certainly reserve final judgement until I can speak with Andrew again after Easter.

Hope this helps anyone deciding if this is a worthwhile mod!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 05:42 AM   #2
luster
Major
Rep

Drives: e90, e88

I absolutely love the pedalbox. Great review!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 06:35 AM   #3
QLD
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2010 LCI E92 - Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by GesterOz View Post
There is ON/OFF(disabled), Eco, Sport and Sport+. I started off with Sport mode and instantly it is a massive difference. Combined with the great low down torque from the diesel, this is a winning combo!
Yes, whether it be a SprintBooster or PedalBox or whatever throttle response enhancer you choose.... these devices are a MUST HAVE for anyone with a turbo car and make driving in the City 1000x more fun.

Good to see your happy with your choice

..sweet torquin' diesel!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 06:54 AM   #4
Ninjaoz
Captain
Australia
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2007 BMW X5 3.0d  [5.00]
2011 BMW 320d  [5.00]
thanks for the write up...glad you enjoyed it and get the most out of your diesel gadgets
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 09:11 AM   #5
ManiacBMWCM
Registered
Rep

Drives: an oil burner

Thanks for sharing, bro - i've got the pedalbox on the way as well, and can't wait to try it out.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 04:21 AM   #6
wbc
Banned
China
Rep

Drives: bmw

Send a message via MSN to wbc Send a message via Yahoo to wbc Send a message via Skype™ to wbc
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
BMBALLER
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GesterOz View Post
Now the pedal really needs to be hardly pressed to have immediate traction breaking power.
i dont understand this part. so you enjoy having your throttle essentially being an on/off switch? rather than break traction at WOT?
      07-05-2012, 03:10 AM   #8
wbc
Banned
China
Rep

Send a message via MSN to wbc Send a message via Yahoo to wbc Send a message via Skype™ to wbc
i also can't understand it
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #9
BMBALLER
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Drives: 335i

probably cos english not your native language
      07-07-2012, 03:58 AM   #10
Peter@Advan
Australia
Rep

Drives: 335 coupe ADVAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMBALLER View Post
probably cos english not your native language
Hey mate lets keep it all friendly we all didn't go to university.
I have a throttle controller fitted to my car and love it.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #11
wbc
Banned
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycat View Post
Hey mate lets keep it all friendly we all didn't go to university.
I have a throttle controller fitted to my car and love it.
hi, friend, where do you get your throttle controller?
Appreciate 0