E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Dual-exhaust conversion on PE

04-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
Gjm127
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i xDrive M-Sport

Garage List
Dual-exhaust conversion on PE

Hey guys, after buying the BMW PE for my 328xi, I'm now very interested in converting the tips into duals (335i style).

I will be buying the M-tech bumper and the 335i Duke Dynamics dual diffuser (the one with the middle fins).

I want to cut out the tips on my 328i BMW Performance exhaust, add an extension pipe to the right side and install new tips (or the PE ones but seperated).

Would it affect the noise or the car's performance? I don't want to ruin my exhaust because I put a lot of money into it!
If anyone knows, is this feasible?

I've already seen it on this forum (the one with the Montego blue color), but not on a BMW PE... That's where I'm concerned.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

What was that guys forum name? I was thinking about drilling a hole in my eisenmann muffler but I might just drill a hole at the mid pipe.

So half muffler, half muffler delete, if you don't want to ruin your PE. And look underneath we don't have much space, it'll be a very thin pipe, not enough sound from there.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
Gjm127
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here you go: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=557918
This is EXACTLY what I want to do...

Can I do it with my BMW PE?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

Dont think it will work. The way the PE sits in there is the same way the OEM muffler does. It takes up all of that space so I dont think youll be able to route the pipe tight enought to be able to get it to the other side. Plus there is a hanger there that will get in the way.

It will be alot of labor, if the space is even there to do it.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
Gjm127
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydever View Post
Dont think it will work. The way the PE sits in there is the same way the OEM muffler does. It takes up all of that space so I dont think youll be able to route the pipe tight enought to be able to get it to the other side. Plus there is a hanger there that will get in the way.

It will be alot of labor, if the space is even there to do it.
I gotta make it happen! It'll be tight, but it could work I think...
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjm127 View Post
I gotta make it happen! It'll be tight, but it could work I think...
I mean it may have to be like a 90 degree turn right out of the right outlet on the pe muffler, but then I dont know where you will be able to snake it thru to the other side. It will be very restrictive like that and most exhaust will want to flow out of the drivers side tip. Do you have the PE yet or are getting it? It takes up the whole area there so It will be some seriously tight bends and just noit sure if clearance will be there.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
Gjm127
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I mean it may have to be like a 90 degree turn right out of the right outlet on the pe muffler, but then I dont know where you will be able to snake it thru to the other side. It will be very restrictive like that and most exhaust will want to flow out of the drivers side tip. Do you have the PE yet or are getting it? It takes up the whole area there so It will be some seriously tight bends and just noit sure if clearance will be there.
Yes I already have the BMW PE it sounds amazing
Check out the link thread I posted with the Montego Blue 328i : http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=557918

I was thinking of welding a perpendicular pipe to the actual pre-tips on the PE all the way to the right side and weld a tip on there... As you said, most of the air would get out of the left side but who cares, it can't be perfect...

I'm worried if it will affect the noise or performance of the new exhaust...

Last edited by Gjm127; 04-09-2012 at 05:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #8
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep

Do it! Just make clean cute on the tips you have, twist up the piping and just do it. If it doesn't work you can always just toss the stock tips back on. I dont think anyone has done it but i think it would be nice.

I have a muffler delete and love it. Would love to do this, and It would be super easy for me, but would need the bumper, etc.

Quote:
Yes I already have the BMW PE it sounds amazing
Check out the link thread I posted with the Montego Blue 328i : http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=557918

I was thinking of welding a perpendicular pipe to the actual pre-tips on the PE all the way to the right side and weld a tip on there... As you said, most of the air would get out of the left side but who cares, it can't be perfect...

I'm worried if it will affect the noise or performance of the new exhaust...
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #9
Gjm127
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So should I tell the mechanic? After cutting the tips, how is he going to close the left hole? And where does he drill the second hole to weld the extension?
I really need reassurance that I'm not affecting the (awesome) noise of my PE!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 12:29 AM   #10
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

Gavin has some experience with slicing open the suitcase style muffler like a sub sandwich, maybe he can toss his .02 in for how the secondary pipe should exit the case.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 12:35 AM   #11
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

It's not going to work. There is no room for the piping with the PE muffler. Plus you would have to re-route BOTH tips not just one because the 335i exhaust cutouts are a lot more inset than the 328i.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #12
Gjm127
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I drew a possible configuration for my custom exhaust but it would need some serious delicate work.

Here's how it goes: I would need to cut both tips to the neck. Weld a 90° pipe that covers BOTH holes and weld an extention pipe to the right side. Then drill the two holes at the right places and add tips.

On another note, if the mechanics tell me they can't do it, how bad would it be if I just put a fake tip on the right side? I do drive in cold weather lol...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #13
DesiRoc
Kumar
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E93 335i, S50 E30 325i

Hey man I'm looking to do a similar conversion but I want to do a quad conversion with my PE.

I took it to a local muffler shop and the guy said that it can be done, but it will take some $$$.

I'm thinking about first getting rid of that storage compartment in the trunk and replacing it with a shallower compartment so I have more space for piping.

Similarly I'll be doing a restricted 90 degree angle right off of where I get the tips cut.

I'll be getting under my car today to plan it but I'll keep posted.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #14
Gjm127
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiRoc View Post
Hey man I'm looking to do a similar conversion but I want to do a quad conversion with my PE.

I took it to a local muffler shop and the guy said that it can be done, but it will take some $$$.

I'm thinking about first getting rid of that storage compartment in the trunk and replacing it with a shallower compartment so I have more space for piping.

Similarly I'll be doing a restricted 90 degree angle right off of where I get the tips cut.

Perfect, I have an appointment with a muffler-exhaust mechanic tomorrow.
It's great that we both have the same idea (custom duals/quads on PE).
We're going to try to work out something to make everything fit just fine.

Keep updated!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #15
carlos916
Semper Fi
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 ///M5

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjm127
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiRoc View Post

Perfect, I have an appointment with a muffler-exhaust mechanic tomorrow.
It's great that we both have the same idea (custom duals/quads on PE).
We're going to try to work out something to make everything fit just fine.

Keep updated!
Take lots of pics and post!!
      04-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #16
Gjm127
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yesssss.. I'm getting it done next week!
I'll draw a sketch of what the technician told me he was gonna do. There is a lot of place btw.
Basically it's gonna take 40 minutes and cost 150$.
I'm seriously worried about the legitimacy of this exhaust place cuz the price seems too cheap to me lol... Am I doing the wrong thing?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #17
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep

That is an incredibly low price for the work involved. Depends on pipe material (stainless vs raw steel), Quality of welds, quality of bends (mandrel) All depends.

Seems very low of a price, but if it is done well and all that then it is a sick deal. Post bunch of photos and stuff.

Quote:
Yesssss.. I'm getting it done next week!
I'll draw a sketch of what the technician told me he was gonna do. There is a lot of place btw.
Basically it's gonna take 40 minutes and cost 150$.
I'm seriously worried about the legitimacy of this exhaust place cuz the price seems too cheap to me lol... Am I doing the wrong thing?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #18
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep

And Ill be honest. 40 minutes sounds like way to quick. I would best it will take upwards of 3 hours if done correcty and perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #19
Bavarian Tech
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2006 330i  [10.00]
Quote:
And Ill be honest. 40 minutes sounds like way to quick. I would best it will take upwards of 3 hours if done correcty and perfectly.
40 min is WAY under estimated IMO, their will be alot of bending, test fitting...making things work..It took alittle over 2 1/2 for me to get my 335i exhaust welded onto my car..including custom mounts, fabrication. I had the same ideal but everywhere I went to didn't want involved or found the job to complex for their shop
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #20
arctic330i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35i

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i E90  [8.08]
2013 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Yeah my dual conversion took like 2.5 hours
      04-11-2012, 08:56 PM   #21
DesiRoc
Kumar
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E93 335i, S50 E30 325i

Damn man you are flying through this! Lol.

I called like 3 muffler shops and they all said they didn't want to get involved. However one of them is interested.

What bumper and diffuser are you getting?

I wanted to just get my oem bumper cut and get quad Cyba tips when I get the piping done.

Idk if I should do that anymore tho, lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #22
Gjm127
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiRoc
Damn man you are flying through this? Lol.

I called like 3 muffler shops and they all said they didn't want to get involved.

What bumper and diffuser are you getting?

I wanted to just get my oem bumper cut and get quad Cyba tips when I get the piping done.

Idk if I should do that anymore tho, lol.
If you don't do it now you'll do it later as the desire will just build up in you lol...

Well the place I went, they're
Dominicans that only do exhaust jobs.
I went to several legit places and they all refused to do the job because they simply don't want to get involved with Bimmers...

Don't mind the 40 minutes, it could take longer...
Does the 150-200$ sound legit? lol....
Appreciate 0