E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > CPO worth it?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
E90Enthusiast
New Member
United_States
3
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: 2010 335i E90
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (0)

CPO worth it?

I plan on eventually purchasing a used '09 or '10 (LCI ftw) 335 e90. I would probably plan on keeping it entirely stock (maybe a slight tint and some angel eyes..). What does everyone think about going CPO from a dealer compared to buying from a mom and pop used car lot down the road or a private seller? Is it worth it?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
Dylan335i
Lieutenant
Dylan335i's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
466
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i & 2008 BMW M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Enthusiast View Post
I plan on eventually purchasing a used '09 or '10 (LCI ftw) 335 e90. I would probably plan on keeping it entirely stock (maybe a slight tint and some angel eyes..). What does everyone think about going CPO from a dealer compared to buying from a mom and pop used car lot down the road or a private seller? Is it worth it?
I have used mine twice in 8 months and save me about 3K. Do the math
__________________
JB4 G5 / Walboro LPFP/ BMS Flash/ M3 Rep Front Bumper / OSS Headlights / BC Coilovers / 5" ETS FMIC / 3" VRSF Downpipes / AA Charge Pipe & BOV / BMS DCI / LCI Tails / CSL Trunk / CF Interior / CF Emblems / Cyba Air Scoops / 15% Tints / 5k Fogs / EBC RedStuff Pads / Drilled & Slotted Rotors / ECS SS Brake Lines
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
Eric335
Colonel
Eric335's Avatar
United_States
40
Rep
2,493
Posts

Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SW Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [3.83]
Had my car 6 months so far, only replaced one light bulb and they charged me for it, 51$ <-- BS . But in the future? Maybe.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
phazen23
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
211
Posts

Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: washington state

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric335 View Post
Had my car 6 months so far, only replaced one light bulb and they charged me for it, 51$ <-- BS . But in the future? Maybe.
I believe there's a $50 deductible for all CPO issues isn't there?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #5
TJDiCandido
Outlaw 06
TJDiCandido's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
946
Posts

Drives: E46 M3 / E90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CCCP (Connecticut Soviet Socialist Republic)

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2004 M3 Coupe  [4.50]
2007 E90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Enthusiast View Post
I plan on eventually purchasing a used '09 or '10 (LCI ftw) 335 e90. I would probably plan on keeping it entirely stock (maybe a slight tint and some angel eyes..). What does everyone think about going CPO from a dealer compared to buying from a mom and pop used car lot down the road or a private seller? Is it worth it?
Sometimes the used BMWs at "mom and pop" or other non-BMW used car dealerships have CPO and/or extended maintenance plans that these dealerships aren't aware of. Last month, I had my friendly BMW SA run the VIN on a pretty much bare bones 2008 E90 328xi with almost 60k miles on it for a friend of mine who found the car for sale at a Suburu dealership. Much to my friend's surprise, the car was CPO with full maintenance thru 2014. The Suburu dealer didn't know anything about the CPO or maintenance plan and didn't factor it into the final sale price of the car which was around $15k (the car had been sitting on the dealership's lot for 2 months and they apparently just wanted to get rid of it). My point is that you'll never find a deal like that on a CPO/full maintenance plan car at a BMW dealership. I'm sure he's not the only one with a lucky find like this either.
__________________
Current vehicles:
2007 BMW 335i Sedan, 6MT, ZSP
2004 BMW M3 Coupe, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #6
der_kommissar
Private First Class
United_States
2
Rep
144
Posts

Drives: 2007 Montego Blue 328i E90
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Worth it, hands down. Cost me $50 to have the cylinder heads replaced to fix the N52 engine ticking issue. Unless you know for a fact that the previous owner took care of the handful of common stuff that is fixable under warranty, get the CPO. I've had a handful of stuff go wrong- BT stopped working, leaking rear diff, engine ticking, peeling shift knob, rear brake squeal. But it was all stuff that was predictable from reading the forum, and my dealer took care of it so well (between original warranty and CPO) that I'm still thrilled with the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #7
wobbles1
Second Lieutenant
wobbles1's Avatar
8
Rep
273
Posts

Drives: 2011 AW 1M #541
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hawaii

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_kommissar View Post
Worth it, hands down. Cost me $50 to have the cylinder heads replaced to fix the N52 engine ticking issue. Unless you know for a fact that the previous owner took care of the handful of common stuff that is fixable under warranty, get the CPO. I've had a handful of stuff go wrong- BT stopped working, leaking rear diff, engine ticking, peeling shift knob, rear brake squeal. But it was all stuff that was predictable from reading the forum, and my dealer took care of it so well (between original warranty and CPO) that I'm still thrilled with the car.
Cpo does not cover any wear and tear items or any squeaky brakes,rattles.noises,bulbs,anything that is environmental like cracked rubber,battery issues or anything called a hose.
Just dont buy it thinking you are getting the same warranty as a new car and you will be fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 11:27 PM   #8
BimmerCop
Banned
United_States
11
Rep
405
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

My car has 1 year left on the CPO and an additional 2 years on 3rd party drivetrain warranty which kicks in once the CPO expires. Just 2 weeks ago, I had my wastegate's pressure solenoid replaced which took them about 4 days to complete. Had a loaner car for the entire time and only paid the $50 deductible. Well worth it if you ask me.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 03:53 AM   #9
electro-house
Lieutenant
electro-house's Avatar
13
Rep
533
Posts

Drives: 2008 335i coupe
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Phoenix

iTrader: (0)

CPO on a 335i is likely worth it, especially if you want to keep the car 3-5 years. I'm still under factory warranty, but once it is up, I imagine the CPO will save me quite a bit of money based on how frequently I have needed repairs done under warranty thus far. CPO is also great for people who drive a lot, though most reach the 6 year mark first, before 100k miles, to end their CPO.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 03:55 AM   #10
BMJOE
Private First Class
BMJOE's Avatar
Australia
2
Rep
196
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Enthusiast View Post
I plan on eventually purchasing a used '09 or '10 (LCI ftw) 335 e90. I would probably plan on keeping it entirely stock (maybe a slight tint and some angel eyes..). What does everyone think about going CPO from a dealer compared to buying from a mom and pop used car lot down the road or a private seller? Is it worth it?
my extended warranty has already saved me $1000....., just think, if you have the waste gate rattle down the track, that's new turbos + to fix it. I say worth it...

Joe
__________________
E92 335i White Angel Eyes | BMW Black Gloss Grills | CF Mirror Covers
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 04:41 AM   #11
graphite
Private
graphite's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
60
Posts

Drives: F10 550i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: PNW

iTrader: (0)

CPO is truly great and can save some major money if problems arise. I'd go for it. It's worth the peace of mind.

I purchased an '06 325i from an independent dealer back in October and nobody knew it was still under warranty. I only found out because of an old, half-ripped window sticker that was in the glove box that showed it was covered through May of 2012. Car seemed fine and didn't really have any issues, even had it gone over by a BMW shop and nearly everything checked out just fine and dandy.

Fast forward to now, and I've had over 10k worth of work done to the car by my BMW dealer. The only thing that actually broke/went out was the water pump, the rest was more preventative maintenance/what BMW thought needed doing...

I've only paid a couple hundred in deductibles, and the free towing from BMW assist when my water pump went out was great.

They've replaced my transmission and fluid (tranny was jerky and left a code deep in the computer apparently, BMW corporate gave the OK to replace the whole thing), lifters and rocker arms (engine ticking), blower motor (faint fan rattle), ignition coils, fixed the center console heated/cooled cupholder, etc.

I'd definitely go for it. It may not save you from 10k of repairs, but even something as simple as a blower motor on these cars isn't cheap to replace.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 07:04 AM   #12
beantown
First Lieutenant
beantown's Avatar
4
Rep
390
Posts

Drives: 08 e92 335xi
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: uh durrrrrrrrrrrr

iTrader: (0)

once the warranty ends and you're on cpo, can you choose to extend it during those 2 years?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 09:17 AM   #13
CWS335
First Lieutenant
CWS335's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
356
Posts

Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Burbs, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionoflight View Post
CPO is truly great and can save some major money if problems arise. I'd go for it. It's worth the peace of mind.

I purchased an '06 325i from an independent dealer back in October and nobody knew it was still under warranty. I only found out because of an old, half-ripped window sticker that was in the glove box that showed it was covered through May of 2012. Car seemed fine and didn't really have any issues, even had it gone over by a BMW shop and nearly everything checked out just fine and dandy.

Fast forward to now, and I've had over 10k worth of work done to the car by my BMW dealer. The only thing that actually broke/went out was the water pump, the rest was more preventative maintenance/what BMW thought needed doing...

I've only paid a couple hundred in deductibles, and the free towing from BMW assist when my water pump went out was great.

They've replaced my transmission and fluid (tranny was jerky and left a code deep in the computer apparently, BMW corporate gave the OK to replace the whole thing), lifters and rocker arms (engine ticking), blower motor (faint fan rattle), ignition coils, fixed the center console heated/cooled cupholder, etc.

I'd definitely go for it. It may not save you from 10k of repairs, but even something as simple as a blower motor on these cars isn't cheap to replace.
Woah! You really benefited from the CPO!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #14
virtualbong
Lieutenant Colonel
virtualbong's Avatar
19
Rep
1,598
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 550i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro-house View Post
CPO on a 335i is likely worth it, especially if you want to keep the car 3-5 years. I'm still under factory warranty, but once it is up, I imagine the CPO will save me quite a bit of money based on how frequently I have needed repairs done under warranty thus far. CPO is also great for people who drive a lot, though most reach the 6 year mark first, before 100k miles, to end their CPO.
__________________
2011 BMW 550i M-Sport (Jet Black/Cinnamon Brown) - 4/30/14 (Current)
2007 BMW 328xi e92 (Jet Black/Coral Red) - PAST
2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (Ivory White/Stone) - PAST
2005 Acura TSX (Obsidian Black/Black) - PAST
1998 Acura Integra (Black/Black) - PAST
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #15
Kid Red
Captain
Kid Red's Avatar
8
Rep
613
Posts

Drives: 2010 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Casselberry, Fl

iTrader: (6)

I got a 2010 1 week ago with factory warranty left and CPO from a BMW dealership. I had the car for 2 days before they had for a week to fix a check engine light. They replaced (not verified with paperwork yet) I believe the MAF, O2 sensor, Valve assembly and at least 1 injector. The labor and rental without warranty/CPO would have been a huge blow.

I would get CPO ONLY because at least the car was inspected and you can tell them to replace stuff first. My door handle was scratched and I got them to replace it free. Can't do that at a mom-n-pop.
__________________
2015 Raven Scion FR-S
2010 Black Sapphire Metallic 335i - Sold
2006 Quartz Grey Audi A4- Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #16
rks27
New Member
United_States
2
Rep
29
Posts

Drives: 07 328xi
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wilmington, DE

iTrader: (0)

had my car about 1.5 yrs now. Got about $2k in maintaince/issues taken care of. Its paid for itself and I still have another 25k miles or 1 yr, whichever comes first.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #17
bmwpride335i
Major
United_States
25
Rep
1,421
Posts

Drives: 07 SUPERCHARGED 680HP VETTE
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Red View Post
I got a 2010 1 week ago with factory warranty left and CPO from a BMW dealership. I had the car for 2 days before they had for a week to fix a check engine light. They replaced (not verified with paperwork yet) I believe the MAF, O2 sensor, Valve assembly and at least 1 injector. The labor and rental without warranty/CPO would have been a huge blow.

I would get CPO ONLY because at least the car was inspected and you can tell them to replace stuff first. My door handle was scratched and I got them to replace it free. Can't do that at a mom-n-pop.
Totally agree. very smart purchase since you will have 2 more years or up to 50k miles of factory warranty, and then 2 yrs and or 100k after that, covering your car for almost entire time of your purchase given you did 60 month finance.

CPO is to me also, only way to go.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #18
Eric335
Colonel
Eric335's Avatar
United_States
40
Rep
2,493
Posts

Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SW Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [3.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phazen23 View Post
I believe there's a $50 deductible for all CPO issues isn't there?
Yeah, but 50$ for light bulbs? Cmon
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #19
EYE4SPEED
Ex-Quattro Driver
EYE4SPEED's Avatar
United_States
30
Rep
1,987
Posts

Drives: E90 335d M-Sport LCI
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West Coast... of Michigan

iTrader: (22)

You should read the fine print on the CPO agreement. Most of the time they are not going to cover bumper to bumper. It is useful for the major items if it happens.

For some cars, I will ask them how much they will sell the car for without CPO. After all, they already certified it to the BMW specs for CPO. Audi would save you about $2k, not sure on BMW. Maybe a dealer can chime in.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #20
ndog14
Banned
United_States
29
Rep
1,746
Posts

Drives: E90 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (0)

CPO can be worth it if you are unlucky. Not every 335 is bad, but if you can afford it everyone here with one will tell you it is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 12:10 AM   #21
Wilhelm
Private
0
Rep
78
Posts

Drives: 3281T
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: El Lay

iTrader: (0)

There are several aspects of a CPO car that have some value:
1. The 2 yr/50k mile warranty,
2. The multi-point comprehensive inspection
3. Selecting a car as a CPO candidate that is statistically least likely to have any major problems down the road.
4. Refurbishing the car to like new condition, including painting panels as necessary, replacing worn tires, replacing worn brakes, etc.
5. The previous owner found all the annoying little problems the car came with and dealt with the annoyance of having them fixed.
6. The previous owner took the depreciation hit.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #22
techwhiz
Colonel
techwhiz's Avatar
United_States
61
Rep
2,064
Posts

Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bay Area, Ca

iTrader: (3)

My car went in for injector issues right outside the regular warranty.
No cash at all from me, not even the $50.
Currently in for HPFP but that is covered under the 10yr/120K extension.

I looked for CPO cars. I didn't pay any more than a mom and pop shop either.
I paid $24K for a 47K mile, CPO car in Jan. Loaded except for iDrive.
You don't have to pay more, you just need to be patient and shop.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:06 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST