E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 3335d - EGR Bypass

05-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #23
NJ 1161
Major
Rep

Drives: 335D M3

To clarify,(as I now want one!) you haven't coded anything yet ?? And did you get it from orig supplier ??
      05-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #24
NotNormal
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: Audi A6 Avant 3.0TDi Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ 1161 View Post
To clarify,(as I now want one!) you haven't coded anything yet ?? And did you get it from orig supplier ??
To be clear....the car is running the standard software through out the car, it has a DTUK CRD-T tuning box on it, all I have done is add the EGR delete pipe
      05-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #25
NJ 1161
Major
Rep

Drives: 335D M3

Topman. Keep us updated on your progress. And it was from the original seller posted ?
      05-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #26
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Drives: e92 335d sapphire black

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNormal View Post
Jimmy, it was alittle fiddly, I took off their duct at the front ( sits above the rad)
The three torques screws that hold the throttle body on are then easy to access
The 4 allenkey bolts are extremely easy to get at

The flow restriction now removed with the blanking pipe is quite allot.....if I get some spare time I'll work out the % of flow increase

Are you the chap that lives in derby ??
I'm only in Lincoln, I don't mind fitting it for you - I use my mates workshop/tools, so you may have to slip him 10, but I'd be more than happy to fit it for ya foc
I will have a look at this when get back from hols. If I struggle ( I must have been doing something wrong last time) I may pm you.

Did you take the inlet manifold off or look at the swirl flaps ?

Cheers

Jim
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #27
IceMan007
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 335D Coupe

Doesn't removing the EGR increase the constant exhaust gas temperature hitting the DPF? If so, I've read that this reduces the life of the DPF. I know that during regen the temperature increases but that's only for the realtively short duration of the regen.

Can anyone advise?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #28
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Wouldn't have thought prolonged higher heat would effect it to much as they get very very hot on a regen. My dpf is a constant 24 degs at the mo. It's in the garage.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #29
NotNormal
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmylad View Post
I will have a look at this when get back from hols. If I struggle ( I must have been doing something wrong last time) I may pm you.

Did you take the inlet manifold off or look at the swirl flaps ?

Cheers

Jim
No, I didn't take off the inlet manifold, but I do have a set of swirl flap blanks waiting, going to replace the glow plugs at the same time
      05-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #30
WEEZAR
Private
Rep

Drives: 2010 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ 1161 View Post

I Also want one too, where did you get it from? I have blocked the EGRs on several other cars and trucks all with great results.
      05-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #31
NotNormal
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEEZAR View Post
I Also want one too, where did you get it from? I have blocked the EGRs on several other cars and trucks all with great results.
I got my kit from this seller on eBay :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160786846508...ht_2013wt_1501

I approached a couple of other suppliers, one of which was Allard Tuning but I wasn't impressed with the price of there kit and delivery times was poor

When I got the kit it was well packaged, well made and complete with everything you need to fit.

Hope the above helps

Tom
      05-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #32
NotNormal
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Oh, and on a side note, I've covered just over 500 miles now, varied driving styles, no engine management lights on the dash, checked the ecu, no codes stored either .... Well, nothing that relate to egr.

I need a couple of glow plugs. Bt I'll sort them in die corse when I fit the swirl flap blanks.
      06-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #33
NotNormal
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quick update :

I didn't go for the remap in the end,thought i'd stick with my tuning box and wait until the engine management light came on ..... apron 2000 miles in and nothing to report apart from the positives I've previously stated.

Ive varied my driving styles, to try and induce the engine management light to come on too

Will keep you posted .....
      06-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #34
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Appreciate the update Tom. I wish I knew if this thing would work on a US d.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #35
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep

ordered one for mine

should come tomorrow - will post my thoughts in due course
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #36
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Put mine on and something isn't right. Initially the valve in the throttle body was moving every 10 seconds making the revs rise and fall with Periods of blue smoke from the exhaust then seemed to settle down and was fine.

Took for a road test and seemed ok ( did feel quicker) and pulled in to check tick over and that was ok. Drove the last mile home and it was hesitating and jerky and when I got near home there was lots of bluish smoke even at tick over.

Can't see what's wrong other than the throttle valve is restricting air flow when it shouldn't be and causing the smoke.

On the vacuum pipe, should the metal pipe into the egr be blanked or a direct connection through to the vacuum pipe itself.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #37
new 335d m sport owner
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep

Drives: 335d m sport

The vacum hose needs to be blanked and the corresponding connection on the bypass body should also be blanked otherwise you have turbo pressure going into the vacum system when the EGR solenoid opens.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #38
NotNormal
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmylad View Post
Put mine on and something isn't right. Initially the valve in the throttle body was moving every 10 seconds making the revs rise and fall with Periods of blue smoke from the exhaust then seemed to settle down and was fine.

Took for a road test and seemed ok ( did feel quicker) and pulled in to check tick over and that was ok. Drove the last mile home and it was hesitating and jerky and when I got near home there was lots of bluish smoke even at tick over.

Can't see what's wrong other than the throttle valve is restricting air flow when it shouldn't be and causing the smoke.

On the vacuum pipe, should the metal pipe into the egr be blanked or a direct connection through to the vacuum pipe itself.
This sounds odd, yes, both the vacuum pipe should be blanked and also the exhaust bass feed

Sounds very odd, try taking off the EGR blank and the throttle body, then fitting the throttle to the black first, make sure the throttle has clearance and that the butterfly moves freely

Did you buy the egg black pipe front he same guy i put the link too ??
      06-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #39
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Ok. . . The 6/8mm vacuum pipe is directly connected to the air flow in the egr. Basically the small metal pipe off the egr isn't blanked so any air flow in the vacuum pipe/egr valve is having an effect on each other or vice versa.

The larger pipe on the opposite side is blanked off. The one that is connected to the exhaust.

The butterfly moves freely. I'm convinced of that.

I think the vacuum pipe is getting strange readings due to not being blanked and messing all the setting/ fuel ling up.

Got from same place i think but mine is stainless steel and not black
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #40
NotNormal
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

that vacuum pipe does need blocking, both ways too, on the egg removal pipe (very securely as it has allot of boost pressure and a simple small bolt will do in the vacuum pipe end

That will cure your running issues I'm sure

let me know how you get on

Tom
      06-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #41
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Cheers.

Will have a look in the morning. Nearly took it all off and put it back to how it was. Got to be that as I can't see what else it can be.

My egr was as clean as yours but I thought the inlet manifold was a bit oily/ sludgy than I expected it to be. That will be coming off on day for a full clean out along with the swirl flaps.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #42
NotNormal
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I have a set of swirl flap blanks waiting to be fitted, just in case,when i replace my glow plugs, as three of them are flagging fault codes
      06-14-2012, 03:36 AM   #43
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Blanked off vacuum and vacuum pipe on egr. Went for a run and was better but not as smooth as it was/should be. Came back and was putting out quite a few puffs of light blue smoke while sitting at tickover ( some times see light blue smoke for 2 seconds in a morning at 1st start up which clears straight away and car doesn't smoke at all other than clearing its throat after driving like a granny for a few days)

Connected vacuum to old egr and cable tied it to the engine to fool it into thinking the old one was back on. Went for a run and was better still but still puffing blue smoke at tickover. Looks like I will have to put back as was to make sure blue smoke stops to make sure all is well.

Runs perfect when hammering it and does feel a shade quicker.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #44
NotNormal
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Jimmy, this is strange.....The blue smoke thing.....ive never had so much as even a puff of smoke out the back of mine.

My idles silky smooth, everythings crisper and feels sharper than before too

How's the car running when you refit the egr ??