E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > I may have bought a wrecked car.....

04-13-2012, 08:06 AM   #45
gtvr6
Enlisted Member

Drives: 335i

Just Curious

How does the car drive and feel?

It would annoy me to find out that a car I just bought had been in an accident and repaired before I bought it but the reality is that if the car was repaired properly, is safe and drives fine then I think they're really nothing you could do.

It was already said, a dealer isn't going to tear a car apart to see if it's been in an accident. As far as trim not being put on right, do you have some examples? It must have not been something obvious or else both the dealer and you would have seen it when you looked the car over (please don't take this as an isult, it's not meant to be).

Try to stay calm (easier said than done) and see what the body shop says about the work that was done. Eventhough you'd probably walk away from the car if you'd known it was in an accident, unless the dealer is willing to return your money, you might be stuck with the car. If the car drives fine and was fixed correctly, the truth is there is nothing wrong with it.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #46
Doctor///M
Colonel

Drives: F80 M3, R56 MCS

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [4.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2010 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
I'd still recommend consulting with a lawyer. You bought a car (assuming - you stated you confirmed with the dealership) that it had not been in an accident. There is some markup associated with purchasing a car in great condition vs. the depreciation involved with buying one that has been in an accident. I would at least contest the depreciated value of the car given the situation. The "as-is" purchase however states this:

"When a dealer wishes to absolve itself of all possible responsibility, the vehicle will usually be offered on an "as is" basis. This means that no implied claims or warranties of any kind are made and once you purchase the vehicle, you cannot take legal action against the seller for any defects or problems. Even if the car falls apart within hours of the purchase, you will not have any recourse. An "as is" sale does not necessarily mean that the vehicle has serious defects. Large dealers often buy numerous vehicles in auctions and must resell them before they have time to fully inspect them."

Read more: What Does As-Is Mean When Buying a Used Car? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_7751204_asi...#ixzz1rvi929zn

Carfax also has their buyback guarantee. I would suggest pursuing that as a second option.
      04-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #47
DaveL
Banned

Drives: 2010 335 coupe msport

Get a lawyer.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #48
AndreyT
Captain
United_States

Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmby99 View Post
The tint guy said there was dust inside the panels drivers side front and back and that the interior trim hadn't been put back the right way.
That means absolutely nothing.

Quote:
And he also showed me some weld marks and showed me how the same spot on the other side didn't have any.
So, what do these "weld marks" look like?

P.S. BTW, in my car (absolutely new) I have some sort of round steering thingy sticking out on the left-hand side of the dashboard. On the other aide I don't have anything like that.

Last edited by AndreyT; 04-13-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #49
Kolyan2k
Brigadier General

Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryballz View Post
Tons of terrible advice in this thread.

In most states there's no requirement for a seller to notify a buyer that a vehicle has been in an accident. In this case, the dealer probably had no idea.

Regardless, in most states they're under no obligation to take the car back or issue any type of refund. Some of the people here are calling the car a lemon, which it isn't, it's simply a car that may have been in an accident.

This is a great example of 'buyer beware'
+1

Quote:
Thanks guys for all the advice. I will have an independent shop look at the car and confirm or decline the findings.

As far as what the dealer said, he mentioned that auction example to show me how the process works and to other "non-reputable" dealers buy cars that have been in accidents and to beware. (ironic isn't it)

They may have gotten this as a trade in but I figure that after their certified BMW mechanics conducted their 100+ point check that this would have easily been discovered.

The tint guy said there was dust inside the panels drivers side front and back and that the interior trim hadn't been put back the right way. And he also showed me some weld marks and showed me how the same spot on the other side didn't have any.
at 100 point inspection they are not going to take panels apart. its pretty much just a visual inspection...tires, brakes, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #50
Kolyan2k
Brigadier General

Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
Get a lawyer.
In USA 1st thing people say is get a lawyer...... thats why friends sue friends and neighbors sue neighbors for stupid shit.

He doesnt need any lawyers. And lawyers cost MONEY
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #51
mosx
The mod bug has bitten.
United_States

Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Just hire an indy inspector to check it out, if he agrees it was welded back together then go back to the dealer. Most disputes can be handled without lawsuits. If they give you any crap then park your car across the street with a big sign that says "This dealer sold me a wrecked car and told me it wasn't wrecked! Don't make the same mistake!" along with your phone number for people to call.

Then, lawyer up for the lawsuit.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #52
Ryballz
Private First Class

Drives: 335d

What would a lawyer do? This is not a legal issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #53
ndog14
Banned
United_States

Drives: E90 328xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SERI335 View Post
Carfax also has their buyback guarantee. I would suggest pursuing that as a second option.
This is truly the best piece of advice in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #54
apc3libras
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Drives: E36 M3

Garage List
1999 BMW M3  [2.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndog14 View Post
This is truly the best piece of advice in this thread.
Carfax will only pay if the car is listed as a total loss or branded title with the state.

http://www.carfax.com/manifest/bbg/termsConditions.cfx
      04-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #55
JS82
Captain
Germany

Drives: '08 E92 328i 6MT Jet Black

Sorry to hear OP, but you should have done your homework BEFORE you bought the car.
Never trust any dealer when buying a used car, doesn't matter if it's a BMW dealership or not.
Don't rely on Carfax alone, get the car inspected by a mechanic.
When I bought my CPO at a BMW dealer 2 years ago, I went there with a paint thickness gauge and checked every panel, to make sure my car wasn't repainted.
Anyway, try to talk to the dealer you bought it from.
Be firm but nice.
I hope things work out for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #56
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
United_States

Drives: E90

Only shows on carfax if you go through insurance.
If you or the guilty party pays out of pocket for repair it doesn't get recorded.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #57
Tru3Story
im the new guy
Dominican Republic

Drives: 08 328i sedan

Quote:
The car is not CPO.

But i kinda had some trust and piece of mind that all was good since i was buying from a legit BMW dealership. I don't think they're in the business of selling wrecked lemon cars.

Im going back to speak with them but what should i say/mention other than you sold me a lemon.
i was at a dealer in north jersey and guy wanted to sell me a nice space gray e90. navi sport and premium package. like normal i offered my payment. they said no. i said ok ill think about it. car fax they had showed clean record. i go home online and check out car more. i do my own car fax research because i wanted to check something. they wanted 25k for a car that turned out to be in 2 fucking accidents and didn't even want to lower the price! gotta always check bro
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #58
ndog14
Banned
United_States

Drives: E90 328xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by apc3libras View Post
Carfax will only pay if the car is listed as a total loss or branded title with the state.

http://www.carfax.com/manifest/bbg/termsConditions.cfx
That sucks. I was hoping that would be a simpler way for this to be resolved than OP suing or standing on the street opposite of the dealer with a sign.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #59
middleagedhippie
Private

Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SERI335 View Post
I'd still recommend consulting with a lawyer. You bought a car (assuming - you stated you confirmed with the dealership) that it had not been in an accident. There is some markup associated with purchasing a car in great condition vs. the depreciation involved with buying one that has been in an accident. I would at least contest the depreciated value of the car given the situation. The "as-is" purchase however states this:

"When a dealer wishes to absolve itself of all possible responsibility, the vehicle will usually be offered on an "as is" basis. This means that no implied claims or warranties of any kind are made and once you purchase the vehicle, you cannot take legal action against the seller for any defects or problems. Even if the car falls apart within hours of the purchase, you will not have any recourse. An "as is" sale does not necessarily mean that the vehicle has serious defects. Large dealers often buy numerous vehicles in auctions and must resell them before they have time to fully inspect them."

Read more: What Does As-Is Mean When Buying a Used Car? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_7751204_asi...#ixzz1rvi929zn

Disagree. AS IS does not protect a dealer who misrepresents the car's condition. If its something he knew he buys it back. Presumably, if a car falls apart the day after you buy it, the dealer who went over the car is in the best position to know. Fraud in the inducement is always a cause of action.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #60
Gmby99
Enlisted Member

Drives: 06 325i

So far i've scheduled appointments with 2 body shops to check the car, won't happen 'til next week thou so i'll have to wait to hear their findings. Once that happes then i'll go from there.

Want to thank everyone for the input and feedback. i'll keep you guys updated
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #61
noro
Colonel
Armenia

Drives: E30 M3 / E46 ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedToBavarian View Post
I've heard that Carfax may take a while to update and if the owner didn't file a claim with his insurance it wouldn't have showed up.
Has nothing to do with insurance claims... at least in my state. Things only show up if a police report was filed.
      04-13-2012, 07:21 PM   #62
output5151
United_States

Drives: 2006 325i

How much you pay for your 325i?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #63
Sidney
Dishonorably discharged

Drives: 2011 e90 335i 6MT

I have no idea if this is true - when I traded my Suburban in on a 4Runner, the Toyota dealer said that accidents that generate police reports generate CARFAX. Sure enough - I had 2 insurance claims on the vehicle - one where I was rear-ended w/police report, one where I hit a deer. Police report=CARFAX, deer hit=none.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #64
Swish
Private

Drives: 2006 330xi

My nephew had a similar experience...maybe worse

He bought a 545i with low mileage from a dealer on ebay. Before he bid, he had a BMW dealership in Texas (he lives in Delaware) check it over for him and they said it was practically flawless.

He was disappointed with the way it was driving and went for an alignment to see is that was the problem. Turns out there was a crack in the frame. He contacted the seller and freaked on them, and they agreed to take the car back, told him to find another and they would buy it for him. He found an even better one and is quite happy.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 11:34 PM   #65
Ryballz
Private First Class

Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish View Post
He bought a 545i with low mileage from a dealer on ebay. Before he bid, he had a BMW dealership in Texas (he lives in Delaware) check it over for him and they said it was practically flawless.

He was disappointed with the way it was driving and went for an alignment to see is that was the problem. Turns out there was a crack in the frame. He contacted the seller and freaked on them, and they agreed to take the car back, told him to find another and they would buy it for him. He found an even better one and is quite happy.
545's don't have frames
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 09:22 AM   #66
driverman
Captain
United_States

Drives: 2008 E90 328i 6MT

You need a thorough assessment of your car's condition to find out what work has been done AND how close to perfect your car is now. There's a huge difference between a car that has been repaired properly and one that hasn't.

I'd look for the best body shop you can find that does frame/unibody straightening and have them thoroughly check out your car, including but not limited to:
- how close the frame/unibody is to specs
- paint thickness readings all over the car
- which body panels have been replaced
- visual inspection
- alignment check
- anything else the shop suggests

THEN you can decide what to do.

I hope you get good news.

Last edited by driverman; 04-14-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Appreciate 0