E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > is this a bad valve cover gasket?

04-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer

Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
is this a bad valve cover gasket?

here's a pic of the passenger side of the engine compartment of my e90 2007 328i N52

lately getting a "burnt" smell from my engine compartment, took a look. Looks like oil may be leaking around the star shaped bolts and pooling down at the mount in the lower left of the picture.

otherwise no signs of problems in how the car drives, accelerates etc.

is bad valve cover gasket a likely culprit here? appreciate any comments. Sorry the pic is so big.
Attached Images

04-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Freak Beast

Yes. Youll need the gasket and all the bolts for it. Around $100 bucks from Tischer and can DIY fairly easily.

The gasket is usually fine but the bolts snap. Get all new parts and do it right

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifxs View Post
here's a pic of the passenger side of the engine compartment of my e90 2007 328i N52

lately getting a "burnt" smell from my engine compartment, took a look. Looks like oil may be leaking around the star shaped bolts and pooling down at the mount in the lower left of the picture.

is bad valve cover gasket a likely culprit here? appreciate any comments. Sorry the pic is so big.
RupertPupkin is offline   United_States
      04-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydever View Post
Yes. Youll need the gasket and all the bolts for it. Around $100 bucks from Tischer and can DIY fairly easily.

The gasket is usually fine but the bolts snap. Get all new parts and do it right
thanks for the response jimmydever
just looked at some threads, you have done this DIY?
have you seen a DIY posted anywhere or is it in Bentley? just curious how you figured it out,
      04-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Freak Beast

Still to this day haven't done it. I had a leak in a similar spot and bought all the parts last fall. They are sitting in my garage. I just havent found time yet to do it. Hoping to in the next few weeks.

Dont think there is a DIY on here for it, I may make one when I do the work.

Very common problem with this engine. The bolts were overtorqued from the factory and break, causing the leak.

Quote:
thanks for the response jimmydever
just looked at some threads, you have done this DIY?
have you seen a DIY posted anywhere or is it in Bentley? just curious how you figured it out,
RupertPupkin is offline   United_States
      04-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
blackbeast06
adrenergic stimulation

Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
definitely a valve cover gasket. if you have a little bit of mechanical skills you just need patients to be able to do it. it seems daunting at first but it is manageable. the hardest part is getting the valve cover to clear the top of the fire wall but i figured out a specific way to rotate it and it slides out with the greatest of ease (of course after about 20 minutes of trying to force it out). some of the bolts will be snapped off with the rest sitting in the hole but you can turn them out by hand or with a small flat head.

[IMG]
bm insta by senntera, on Flickr[/IMG]
blackbeast06 is offline   United_States
      04-13-2012, 05:47 AM   #6
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast06 View Post
definitely a valve cover gasket. if you have a little bit of mechanical skills you just need patients to be able to do it. it seems daunting at first but it is manageable. the hardest part is getting the valve cover to clear the top of the fire wall but i figured out a specific way to rotate it and it slides out with the greatest of ease (of course after about 20 minutes of trying to force it out). some of the bolts will be snapped off with the rest sitting in the hole but you can turn them out by hand or with a small flat head.
thank you for your response. A couple questions if you don't mind :}

Have you been driving with you DIY fix for awhile? Do you recall how you rotated the cover?
      04-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
blackbeast06
adrenergic stimulation

Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
i put about 1k on the car before i got rid of it. there were no leaks and everything ran fine. to get the valve cover off you have to lift the end up at the front of the car and then rotate it counter clockwise and then point the corner (the one closest to the passanger door) down. once you figure it out it will be easy.

[IMG]
bm insta by senntera, on Flickr[/IMG]
blackbeast06 is offline   United_States
      04-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #8
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast06 View Post
i put about 1k on the car before i got rid of it. there were no leaks and everything ran fine. to get the valve cover off you have to lift the end up at the front of the car and then rotate it counter clockwise and then point the corner (the one closest to the passanger door) down. once you figure it out it will be easy.
thanks for this !!!!
      04-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #9
GoRomeo
Colonel

Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [2.83]
Quote:

I ve seen this on my N52, 330i. Its not as bad as yours but eventually will. Mine its on the corner and I see a drop on one of the hoses and not the exhaust. I wonder if its worth it to do the gasket replacement now or wait. Oil level has been ok for 4 months (max level). Im a open for suggestions. Thanks
      04-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #10
gracc162
Registered

Drives: 2007 328i

I am replacing he valve cover gasket. How did you get the wire harness out of the way? Thanks.
      04-15-2012, 07:25 AM   #11
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracc162 View Post
I am replacing he valve cover gasket. How did you get the wire harness out of the way? Thanks.
this may not help if you must change the gasket but...

I google searched "N52 valve cover gasket" and found a DIY on a 5 - series forum.

For fun, I googled "N52 valve cover gasket PITA" and got several distinct hits

There are some posts (responses) on this site suggesting that replacing the broken bolts may reduce the complexity of curing the problem.

So...I'm going to try that first....ordered some bolts from Tischer and if it doesn't work, I'll go with the gasket change.
      04-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #12
e90pilot
Freight Dawg

Drives: E90 325i

Before you do this, check out the valve cover itself above the gasket. There's oil coming down from the top of the engine. Check your oil filler cap, they also tend to leak. It could be both as well.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
e90pilot is offline   United_States
      04-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #13
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
Before you do this, check out the valve cover itself above the gasket. There's oil coming down from the top of the engine. Check your oil filler cap, they also tend to leak. It could be both as well.
thanks will do
      03-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #14
SILENTKNIGHT
Registered

Drives: E90 330i M Sport Auto

Quote:

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place, but I had the same problem I think, today while driving I had a smell of burning (rubber smell) then smoke came through the air vents and in to the car. Looked under the bonnet and no smoke at all. But there is oil around the head gasket, the oil filler cap and also looks as though in the tray beneath the engine. Car was serviced recently and as the engine was overheating, I had the water pump and thermostat changed. Garage said that the head gasket was fine at the time! Any ideas?? and how does smoke come through the vents and into the cars cabin?
      03-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #15
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILENTKNIGHT View Post
Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place, but I had the same problem I think, today while driving I had a smell of burning (rubber smell) then smoke came through the air vents and in to the car. Looked under the bonnet and no smoke at all. But there is oil around the head gasket, the oil filler cap and also looks as though in the tray beneath the engine. Car was serviced recently and as the engine was overheating, I had the water pump and thermostat changed. Garage said that the head gasket was fine at the time! Any ideas?? and how does smoke come through the vents and into the cars cabin?
not sure about the smoke through the vents, though the odor definitely came into the cabin for me. Oil dripping on exhaust manifold.

Problem could be:
a. Oil spilled near filler neck when oil changed / filled
b. Oil filter housing gasket
c. Valve cover gasket
d. Something else I don't know about

if you're not showing a significant loss of oil and want to research further, there are plenty of threads. For me, I wasn't losing a lot of oil so I took my time, cleaned all the oil off everywhere I found it and watched for awhile until I was convinced it couldn't be a. above. Eventually, it turned out to be b. and c. Had dealer do c. and I diy'd b., which is not difficult if you have right tools and are so inclined.
      03-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #16
Bartman619
Captain

Drives: Bimmer

FYI...if you're CPO then it's covered. I had mine fixed under CPO.
      03-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #17
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman619 View Post
FYI...if you're CPO then it's covered. I had mine fixed under CPO.
yeah for vcg that would be a good thing. Dealer charged me $780, "discounted" since my car is a senior citizen.
      03-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #18
stoppy
Private

Drives: 2006 330i blk, Sport Pkg, 6spd

Hey,
Here is a good DIY for getting that valve cover and replacing the gasket:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697252

I replaced my valvetronic shaft sensor and I needed to get all of this crap off. Ill be honest, it was a nightmare getting the valve cover off because the oil vapor nozzle on the valve cover its super tight. Plus the wire harness is just a PITA! But felt good once all finished. Here is the thread if you wanted to check it out.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=501907&page=2
      03-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #19
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoppy View Post
Hey,
Here is a good DIY for getting that valve cover and replacing the gasket:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697252

I replaced my valvetronic shaft sensor and I needed to get all of this crap off. Ill be honest, it was a nightmare getting the valve cover off because the oil vapor nozzle on the valve cover its super tight. Plus the wire harness is just a PITA! But felt good once all finished. Here is the thread if you wanted to check it out.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=501907&page=2
thanks!
      04-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #20
ezpac

Drives: 325i 2006

I've just replaced the valve cover gasket on my 325i 2006 N52 this weekend. It was my first time doing such "big" project. You need a LOT of patience but it's doable. These were some of the main "challenges":

1 - Finding a torque wrench that accurately measures ~7lb of torque.
I went to several hardware shops and could not find the one I needed. So I bought one at Ace that advertised 5-80lb and on the first bolt it snapped, mind you I set it to 5lbs just to make sure, and the bolt broke anyway. So I was pissed and returned the wrench, then I went to Harbour Freight Tools and got another 5-80lbs (lowest setting I could find) and surprise surprise...Another bolt broken. So I just used 2 old bolts and tighten them by hand. I really hate to do that but I had no choice. I'll probably stop by an indy shop and ask them to torque check the bolts.

2 - Pay close attention to the Valvetronic Motor. Check this video, you'll need an allen wrench.

3 - There are 2 "cables"(I don't know what they are) that go from one side of the engine to the other, passing through the back side, where you can only access if you have small hands. I found a lot easier to remove and put the cove on after moving them out of the way. To do so, you'll need to remove the vapor hose (blue) and kinda feel the clip that holds both cables.

4 - Be careful with the plastic clip (in blue). I broke one of them (there are two) in the process of removing the cover.

5 - Use a bungee cord to hold the cables up, It makes everything much easier. I got the idea from this video

6 - You have to kinda twist the cover around to remove it and put it back but be careful with the valvetronic motor support, which is the highest part of the engine (if it wasn't for that little part this job would be a LOT easier)

I think that's about it, I'll keep this updated if I can remember anything else.
ezpac is offline   Brazil
      04-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #21
index1489
Colonel

Drives: Out of warranty BMW

Guys, get torque wrenches from cditorque.com for stuff like this.
      04-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #22
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer

Garage List
thanks for this. Curious, How did you manage the crankcase breather hose connection?