E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Engine shaking, engine light on.

04-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
BrazilianBimmer
Captain

Drives: Black e90 325i

Engine shaking, engine light on.

I started the car this morning and noticed that the engine was making more noise/vibrations than the usual. Also when driving on the highway car feels like it is struggling, take long to respond to accelerator and when it does respond is jolts a little. What do you think this could be?
Ignition coil?
      04-14-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
matty231
Second Lieutenant

Drives: '08 E90 335i M

Maybe your spark plugs? Misfiring? Although i guess youd get a CEL for that.

But yes my ignition coil went once with same symptoms

2008 BMW 335i M-Sport
Black Saph w/ Dakato Black | M-Sport | Sunroof | iDrive | 6SP Steptronic | Comfort Access | Lights Package | JDM Spec
matty231 is offline   New Zealand
      04-15-2012, 06:45 AM   #3
Jin-ActiveMotorwerke
Private First Class

Drives: BMW E46 330i

The car and engine type would help
      04-15-2012, 07:04 AM   #4
Bayern1
Private

Drives: 2015 BMW 550i

Bring it to the dealer asap. Could be spark plugs, ignition coils, fuel pump.
      04-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
BrazilianBimmer
Captain

<<<Car info is here
it is 2006 e90 325i N52 engine

Last edited by BrazilianBimmer; 04-15-2012 at 11:39 AM.
      04-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
BrazilianBimmer
Captain

I went to get it scanned at AutoZone and I got two codes P0301 and P0599.
I searched and found that code
P0301 is misfiring of coil number one. I've just had coil #1 changed about 2 months ago, could it mean that the spark plug is bad then?
      04-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
BlackDesertTango
Private First Class

Drives: 2006 330

Since you didn't mention it, I'm assuming you did not replace your spark plugs. When you replace it, I would inspect the spark plug and spark plug cylinder and look for any residual water or oil. A valve cover gasket leak will let oil or moisture to cause coils to go bad.

This is a common issue.
      04-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
BrazilianBimmer
Captain

Where exactly is this Valve cover gasket thing?
I believe when I had the ignition coil changed they also changed the valve cover because it was broken and leaking. It cost me almost $600 to just replace the cover plus whatever labor. Do you think valve cover could be leaking again?
Should I take it to the mechanic again? He told me to let me know if anything came up. This was like 2 months ago...it's just strange that it's the same coil

Edit: No spark plugs were not changed, I don't think they have ever been changed. car's like 57,000.00 miles. The only ignition coil that has been replaced was #1
      04-16-2012, 07:15 AM   #9
Reznick
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 M3 ,2000 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianBimmer View Post
Where exactly is this Valve cover gasket thing?
I believe when I had the ignition coil changed they also changed the valve cover because it was broken and leaking. It cost me almost $600 to just replace the cover plus whatever labor. Do you think valve cover could be leaking again?
Should I take it to the mechanic again? He told me to let me know if anything came up. This was like 2 months ago...it's just strange that it's the same coil

Edit: No spark plugs were not changed, I don't think they have ever been changed. car's like 57,000.00 miles. The only ignition coil that has been replaced was #1
The valve cover leaking wouldn't have anything to do with how the car is running.Now if it were there HEAD gasket leaking , that would be a different story, but it doesn't sound like thats the problem. If the scanner gave you a P301 code, then thats your first place to look. Ignition coils aren't very hard to replace. They clip out and clip back in. There is a chance that the replacement coil was bad. Take it back with the code and show the mechanic that what he replaced is bad. If it were me I would go ahead and replace the spark plug. But while your at it have them all done. At almost 60K miles it could probably use a little tune up. BUt just to clarify, the valve cover is nothing more than a big dirt and debris shield. Its not pressurized and its not stressed. The only reason it has a gasket is to keep out any dirt or moisture. A lot of mechanics will use a gasket sealer( not always necessary, some manufacturers do use it, but I don't think BMW does ) when they put the cover back on. Thats not a bad thing except for when you need to take the cover back off. It usually makes the gasket tear when they have to take it apart. Not a big deal if its another 60K miles , but if they have to do it within the next month, its just a waist.PM me if you have any questions. Keep us posted how you make out. Good luck...On a side note $600 just to replace a valve cover gasket is WAY to much. You might want to look for another mechanic. A valve cover gasket set is only about $60 and since there is only 1 cosmetic cover to remove to get to it .The valve cover itself basically sits on top of the engine , so it very easy to get to. The price you paid for the first replacement sounds a bit exorbitant

Last edited by Reznick; 04-16-2012 at 07:19 AM. Reason: added info
Reznick is offline   United_States
      04-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
BrazilianBimmer
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznick View Post
The valve cover leaking wouldn't have anything to do with how the car is running.Now if it were there HEAD gasket leaking , that would be a different story, but it doesn't sound like thats the problem. If the scanner gave you a P301 code, then thats your first place to look. Ignition coils aren't very hard to replace. They clip out and clip back in. There is a chance that the replacement coil was bad. Take it back with the code and show the mechanic that what he replaced is bad. If it were me I would go ahead and replace the spark plug. But while your at it have them all done. At almost 60K miles it could probably use a little tune up. BUt just to clarify, the valve cover is nothing more than a big dirt and debris shield. Its not pressurized and its not stressed. The only reason it has a gasket is to keep out any dirt or moisture. A lot of mechanics will use a gasket sealer( not always necessary, some manufacturers do use it, but I don't think BMW does ) when they put the cover back on. Thats not a bad thing except for when you need to take the cover back off. It usually makes the gasket tear when they have to take it apart. Not a big deal if its another 60K miles , but if they have to do it within the next month, its just a waist.PM me if you have any questions. Keep us posted how you make out. Good luck...On a side note $600 just to replace a valve cover gasket is WAY to much. You might want to look for another mechanic. A valve cover gasket set is only about $60 and since there is only 1 cosmetic cover to remove to get to it .The valve cover itself basically sits on top of the engine , so it very easy to get to. The price you paid for the first replacement sounds a bit exorbitant
Reznick thank you so much for all the information, I wish to understand a lot more about these cars later so that I may pass it on to other people. I wish there was more people like that. BTW I locked at the actual invoice from the mechanic and here's exactly what it says about the valve gasket thing.
"Car has leaking valve covers replace seal and clean has broken bolt will have to extraction." It says that it 6(QTY) replaced at $98.90 = $593.40
Then there is
"BMW valve cover gaskets set with new hardware."=$76.67
I will contact the mechanic and report back here what gets done.